Mike Hopkins one of two to interview for USC job | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

Mike Hopkins one of two to interview for USC job

Stan Heath?

We'd go from a (usually) fun to watch up tempo team to stall ball team...no thanks.

Butler took a chance on a very young Brad Stevens and now he is one of the hottest coaches in the college ranks. I'd love to see SU take a similar chance on GMac let it play out. I guarantee you that the team would play with passion and intensity.

No, that's insane. Gerry is a legend, but communication was never one of his strengths. If you ever heard his painful appearances on TK99, you know that he very likely won't be a great recruiter, either.

Can't agree with this. I t hink UCLA and Indiana, at least, are definitely more attractive than SU. It's also hard to separate the success of SU from Boeheim, which makes it a little harder for me to judge how good the job is. It's definitely an attractive job, the dome is a huge lure, and the league will be great, but it's not like there are a ton of great players in the area. Indiana is a basketball mad state, and every kid that grows up there probably grew up dreaming of playing for IU.

If i was a random up and coming basketball coach, and i had no connection to any of the schools, I would pick coaching at IU or UCLA ten times out of ten over SU. (not a knock on SU, but those 2 schools are the cream of the crop. Think we're a level below)

In evaluating our coaching position, look at our revenues - we make a boatload of money because of the Dome. We will make another boatload of money because of the ACC. We have great practice facilities, we have proximity to excellent recruiting territory, and we have a 40 year history of sustained excellence.

In evaluating our coaching position, look at our revenues - we make a boatload of money because of the Dome. We will make another boatload of money because of the ACC. We have great practice facilities, we have proximity to excellent recruiting territory, and we have a 40 year history of sustained excellence.
JB has a history of excellence. Before he became part of the prrrrogram, SU sucked.

Yeah there aren't may schools better positioned to pay out the ca-ching than SU. I'd love to see the financials on the hoops program. They must be hauling it in. 25K a night plus all of that TV money has to go a long way and overwhelm the expenses (coaching staff, travel and occasional payments to your best players ;)).

JB has a history of excellence. Before he became part of the prrrrogram, SU sucked.

Well, not exactly. It wasn't Boeheim who led us to those NIT's in 1970-72, or the 1975 Final Four. Fred Lewis had that teams with JB and Bing that made a regional final. Back in the 50s we made another regional final. We had a poor spell once in the last 50 years. There's a reason we are in the top 5 or 6 all time among most wins for a program. We have never really sucked for more than a few years at a time.

Yeah there aren't may schools better positioned to pay out the ca-ching than SU. I'd love to see the financials on the hoops program. They must be hauling it in. 25K a night plus all of that TV money has to go a long way and overwhelm the expenses (coaching staff, travel and occasional payments to your best players ;)).

I guess you're kidding but I'm not sure about which part. I think we made something like $48M last year, one of the top 10 schools in the NCAA (maybe my numbers are off - I'm doing this from memory), and that was with lousy gates for football games.

"Before he (jb) became part of the prrrrogram, SU sucked."

roy danforth anyone???.

Well, not exactly. It wasn't Boeheim who led us to those NIT's in 1970-72, or the 1975 Final Four. Fred Lewis had that teams with JB and Bing that made a regional final. Back in the 50s we made another regional final. We had a poor spell once in the last 50 years. There's a reason we are in the top 5 or 6 all time among most wins for a program. We have never really sucked for more than a few years at a time.
When did he become associated with the program. We had the longest losing streak in the country until his sophomore yest

Sent from my SCH-I200 using Tapatalk 2

Everybody always says this, and I'm too young to have been around (or speak) at the time, but starting in 1970-71 (Danforth's 3rd season, so a reasonable time to expect a turnaround in a program)

1970-71 19-7 (.731)
1971-72 22-6 (.786)
1972-73 24-5 (.828)
1973-74 19-7 (.731)
1974-75 23-9 (.719)
1975-76 20-9 (.690)

We made the NCAA tournament in Danforth's last four years, and only missed it in '71 and '72, when only 25 teams went. Would those teams have made it if the field was 40 (1979), 48 (1980), or 64/68 like it is now? Would a string of 6 straight tourney appearances have changed perception that the program was resuscitated from out of the blue?

I would not be surprised at all if he goes. Hopkins is a SoCal native and let's face it, USC is a wayyyy better gig than Charlotte, St. Bonaventure and Providence.

I'd take either but I see no reason for them to leave the schools they are with now.

Honestly, I'd like a young up-and-comer rather than a re-tread. I think SU is the perfect place for a young guy.

With the history and the facilities the new coach would already have a leg up in recruiting. Get someone else's Hopkins (a guy with a solid coaching background, I don't know, someone who's been assistant with Pitino or Roy Williams) or maybe some mid-major coach who's program is just turning the corner.

You don't see a reason for Brad Stevens to leave a school like Butler? You WAY underestimate the pull of Syracuse University basketball. For the record, his style of ball bores the pants off me. Pass.

And if we were willing to pay Billy D (which I doubt), I think he could be lured away from a football school to go to a bball school. Not to mention to get out of the shadow of Big Blue. Can you imagine him recruiting to the Dome?

If we wanted to open up the checkbook, we could have anybody we wanted save about 5 or 6 coaches.

In 1972-73, SU was ranked #13, 1973-74 ranked #15, 1974-75 (Final Four) ranked #6, 1975-76 ranked #20. Roy’s Runts went to the tourney for 4 straight years back when only 32 teams were invited. Your message count proves that more does not necessarily mean better.

Just want to toss out a name I haven't seen yet (might have missed it) - Josh Pastner at Memphis. I know he's making a ton of money and has a long term contract but wondering what you guys might think of him. Reputed to be a great recruiter and he certainly has had a good record there.

You don't see a reason for Brad Stevens to leave a school like Butler? You WAY underestimate the pull of Syracuse University basketball. For the record, his style of ball bores the pants off me. Pass.

And if we were willing to pay Billy D (which I doubt), I think he could be lured away from a football school to go to a bball school. Not to mention to get out of the shadow of Big Blue. Can you imagine him recruiting to the Dome?

If we wanted to open up the checkbook, we could have anybody we wanted save about 5 or 6 coaches.

Out of the shadow of Big Blue, and into the shadow of two Big Blues?

Just want to toss out a name I haven't seen yet (might have missed it) - Josh Pastner at Memphis. I know he's making a ton of money and has a long term contract but wondering what you guys might think of him. Reputed to be a great recruiter and he certainly has had a good record there.
Soooooo, was listening to Gary Parrish on his local radio show here in Memphis. His feeling is that Pastner is gone from Memphis if they don't have a good tourney run this year. The expectations here are that the team should compete for a national championship every year. I personally feel that is delusional, but I guess that's up for debate. Anyway, the fans are riding him all the time about not being able to win a big game. I feel that is a legitimate argument. His best win of his career is against Tennessee and he has flamed out badly in the NCAAs. That being said, he is a great recruiter and the kids seem to like playing for him.

Soooooo, was listening to Gary Parrish on his local radio show here in Memphis. His feeling is that Pastner is gone from Memphis if they don't have a good tourney run this year. The expectations here are that the team should compete for a national championship every year. I personally feel that is delusional, but I guess that's up for debate. Anyway, the fans are riding him all the time about not being able to win a big game. I feel that is a legitimate argument. His best win of his career is against Tennessee and he has flamed out badly in the NCAAs. That being said, he is a great recruiter and the kids seem to like playing for him.

Memphis area does have tons of high school talent. But he hasn't really had his signature moment, as you mention. The Zona game in the NCAAs was rough.

Seriously Syracuse is one of the best jobs in the country and we’d be able to pick from the cream of the coaching crop. From Billy Donovan to John Beilein to Jay Wright to insert name here. Is there really anybody outside of Coack K, Williams, Cal, Pitino or JT3 who’d be out of the question? Crean and Self would be realistic candidates imo.

The SU AD knows darn well that JB is a bargain and Syracuse would pay top dollar if it had to. The basketball team makes money hand over fist.
Or is Pitino out of the equation? If I'm pitino I would leave U of L for Syracuse. Way more to work/recruit with... Pitino would be my #1 that I want then Jay Wright.

How about Mike Hopkins? Nobody thinks it's possible he would come back after 3 years at USC?

pass

Or is Pitino out of the equation? If I'm pitino I would leave U of L for Syracuse. Way more to work/recruit with... Pitino would be my #1 that I want then Jay Wright.

Please. Rick has said that L'Ville is his last stop.