Minnesota the Great | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Minnesota the Great

Getting talked sh** to by Minnesota fans.

Amazing.

Did you know that there's a side of the Brown Jug with a Minnesota logo on it? Why'd they even bother?

jugs.jpg

To be fair, they also talked before the Michigan game this year. Then lost 42-13.

this is speculation, but it appears the minnesota side has much more wear and tear/deterioration. my guess is that is because that side is always pushed up against the wall or put face down when set on its side.

WOW, has it been entertaining catching up on this thread!! Gotta love a message board with such passionate football fans that there are about 6 regular posters. Now THAT's a fanbase!!!

No doubt, that Syracuse rushing defense looked really stout against the #112 and #115 ranked rushing teams in the NCAA (Pitt and WF). Fairly solid against the #70 and #87 rushing teams as well. Nice work!!! Didn't allow a 100-yd rusher all year!!! Forget about the fact that the Orange got boat-raced by at least 4 teams that mercifully called off the dogs early in the 2nd half. Classic. Best I can tell, the only team that Syracuse actually DEFEATED that was ranked higher than #70 in rushing offense was a BC team that played half the game without a Heisman candidate. Seriously impressive work. Very strong.

Minnesota played 4 rushing defenses as good or better than Syracuse this year, according to NCAA stats; MSU, Wisconsin, Iowa, and Michigan. I don't think they'll be TOO intimidated to show up for the game.

WOW, has it been entertaining catching up on this thread!! Gotta love a message board with such passionate football fans that there are about 6 regular posters. Now THAT's a fanbase!!!

No doubt, that Syracuse rushing defense looked really stout against the #112 and #115 ranked rushing teams in the NCAA (Pitt and WF). Fairly solid against the #70 and #87 rushing teams as well. Nice work!!! Didn't allow a 100-yd rusher all year!!! Forget about the fact that the Orange got boat-raced by at least 4 teams that mercifully called off the dogs early in the 2nd half. Classic. Best I can tell, the only team that Syracuse actually DEFEATED that was ranked higher than #70 in rushing offense was a BC team that played half the game without a Heisman candidate. Seriously impressive work. Very strong.

Minnesota played 4 rushing defenses as good or better than Syracuse this year, according to NCAA stats; MSU, Wisconsin, Iowa, and Michigan. I don't think they'll be TOO intimidated to show up for the game.

Stupid post.

The B1G sucks, as does your team. BTW, I live in Minneapolis, and it was great whipping your butts in hoops two weeks ago! Looking forward to doing the same on the gridiron so I can laugh even more at you arrogant scandanavians. At least you have the Vikings and Twins to look forward to. Oh, wait...

Ski u duh!

Stupid post.

The B1G sucks, as does your team. BTW, I live in Minneapolis, and it was great whipping your butts in hoops two weeks ago! Looking forward to doing the same on the gridiron so I can laugh even more at you arrogant scandanavians. At least you have the Vikings and Twins to look forward to. Oh, wait...

Ski u duh!
Agree that his post sucked but even though its clear Cuse is a better basketball team that certainly wasn't a butt kicking. Also if you live in MPLS why are you dissing it? If you don't like it then leave. I lived in ILL for 10 years until just moving to WI and while I'm a MN fan of course I never diss the hometown team. Think its silly

We knocked the Heisman contender out of the game with one of our very good linebackers. We'll see about the rest, rodent. I'm looking forward to the look on your offensive coordinators face when he realizes he'll have to win the game through the air AND the blitzes have knocked out your starter...

I don't expect them to be intimidated. I expect them to be cocky. And then to lose.

going toe to toe with Pitt? you are bragging about that? you should expect to beat a mediocre Pitt team yet you couldn't even do that

Minnesota is just as mediocre as Syracuse and Pitt.

We would've been 8-4 too if we played Minnesota's non conference schedule.

You had an easier conference schedule.

Wrong. We played 2 real teams. You played 1(kind've) in UNLV.

Just because you beat PSU and NW doesn't mean anything in terms of this discussion. Those were our first 2 games. We probably would've beaten them if we played them late in the year too, both because we got better(by getting the right QB in there) and NW completely fell apart after looking strong early. But they are both better opponents than any of Minnesota's non conference opponents. And if you're going down the "your crappy opponents were worse than our crappy opponents"...well, who cares? A crappy opponent is a crappy opponent. There's no levels to that. An automatic easy win is an automatic easy win. Your OOC schedule had more of them.

I reject your hypothesis.

Taime Downe said:

I'm sorry that you came here expecting to read posts on a SYRACUSE message board bowing down to the greatness that is Minnesota football and the B1G. Kindly note that except for alums, people outside the Midwest generally don't give a s*** about your overrated brand of football.

Wrong. We played 2 real teams. You played 1(kind've) in UNLV.

Just because you beat PSU and NW doesn't mean anything in terms of this discussion. Those were our first 2 games. We probably would've beaten them if we played them late in the year too, both because we got better(by getting the right QB in there) and NW completely fell apart after looking strong early. But they are both better opponents than any of Minnesota's non conference opponents. And if you're going down the "your crappy opponents were worse than our crappy opponents"...well, who cares? A crappy opponent is a crappy opponent. There's no levels to that. An automatic easy win is an automatic easy win. Your OOC schedule had more of them.

I reject your hypothesis.

I said easier conference schedule...not non conference.

Yeah, and you averaged less than 100 in those four games, which is kind of the point.

Who is talking sh**t?

"“If we win — when we win — this week, it’s definitely going to be something that can erase all of that,” Cedric Thompson said."

Michigan 42, Minnesota 13

Your program and fans are like Illinois but without any success in the last half century.

"“If we win — when we win — this week, it’s definitely going to be something that can erase all of that,” Cedric Thompson said."

Your program and fans are like Illinois but without any success in the last half century.
If you're getting your panties in a bunch over that you need to step away from the keyboard

For the record sparky, the Heisman candidate played all the way into the 3rd quarter and still only had 29 yards, so clearly you did not watch the game. And, for the record was knocked out of the game by a vicious hit from our MLB. He didn't spontaneously get injured and leave the game.

Can't wait to see your running game. I am sure our front 7 can't either.

You also clearly didn't catch the top right of the board when you logged in showing how many people are logged in online.

I'm sorry that you came here expecting to read posts on a SYRACUSE message board bowing down to the greatness that is Minnesota football and the B1G. Kindly note that except for alums, people outside the Midwest generally don't give a s*** about your overrated brand of football.

Oh yeah and the whole nation can't stop talking about ACC football...

Haha yes a player predicting a win 2 months ago. What an cocky program and fan base... Tahj Boyd said he never heard any team talk as much before a game as cuse if you want to play that game. I don't know why you are so obsessed with Michigan.

Agree that his post sucked but even though its clear Cuse is a better basketball team that certainly wasn't a butt kicking. Also if you live in MPLS why are you dissing it? If you don't like it then leave. I lived in ILL for 10 years until just moving to WI and while I'm a MN fan of course I never diss the hometown team. Think its silly

I'm not dissing Minneapolis--I'm dissing U of M sports and their fans. Last time I checked, me living here wasn't contingent upon bowing down and drinking Gopher Kool Aid. Trust me, there are PLENTY of people living in the Twin Cities who have absolutely no rooting interest in local sports teams. Wisconsin or Green Bay fans abound in droves.

As for why I don't like the Gophers, well you can thank your fanbase for that. I've lived in Minneapolis since 2004. Neither my wife nor I have ties here, and yet we like it very much [especially in the summer!]. I have lots of friends / colleagues who root for the local sports teams and bleed purple or blue and red, and because of them I used to pull a little for the Minnesota teams ever since we've lived here. Not that I actively rooted for them, just that the local fanbase had experienced a lot of heartbreak and near misses over the years--i.e., losing several SuperBowls, coming within a fraction of an inch year one of Favre, the disappointment of the two great teams that Denny Green had, lots of good Twins teams that couldn't get over the hump in recent years, etc.

Accordingly, I went into our game last year looking forward to watching SU play Minnesota in brand new TCF stadium, expecting that the local fanbase would be reasonably hospitable and "Minnesota Nice," in a way that fit my generalization of the local sports fans. My dad flew out for the game, and we headed to TCF looking forward to a fun experience. Instead, the fans inside TCF were complete d-bags from the opening kickoff. It is one thing to root passionately during the game, but the douchebaggery continued after the game--a game you guys won, BTW--with several groups of dipshit Gopher fans displaying zero sportsmanship and harassing us all the way out. While we were waiting at a stoplight right outside the stadium, one student expressed that he ought to punch my 62 year old dad in the face for wearing SU paraphernalia.

Needless to say, that game changed my perception of Minnesota fans. You haven't earned my respect--in fact, quite the opposite. I now find satisfaction watching the Gophers perpetually come up short. Nothing would please me more than to whip your a$$e$ in the bowl and watch SU beat the Gophers for the second time in a month.

Last edited:
Oh yeah and the whole nation can't stop talking about ACC football...

Haha yes a player predicting a win 2 months ago. What an cocky program and fan base... Tahj Boyd said he never heard any team talk as much before a game as cuse if you want to play that game. I don't know why you are so obsessed with Michigan.

Come on, we both know that anyone from Minnesota should never predict a win against Michigan.

Also, I'm from Michigan and also went to Michigan (as my signature notes)...

I'm out, come visit the jug on permanent display in Ann Arbor sometime.

Come on, we both know that anyone from Minnesota should never predict a win against Michigan.

Also, I'm from Michigan and also went to Michigan (as my signature notes)...

I'm out, come visit the jug on permanent display in Ann Arbor sometime.

I wish we could play Michigan now, Nelson missed that game and we fell apart in the second half. Kill also missed that game after experiencing a seizure pregame. I look forward to opening conference play against them next year. I like the way the two teams are trending.

Minnesota Bowl Results (5-10)
SeasonBowlOpponentScoreW/L
1960RoseWashington7-17L
1961RoseUCLA21-3W
1977Hall Of FameMaryland7-17L
1985IndependenceClemson20-13W
1986LibertyTennessee14-21L
1999SunOregon20-24L
2000Micron PCN.C. State30-38L
2002Music CityArkansas29-14W
2003SunOregon31-30W
2004Music CityAlabama20-16W
2005Music CityVirginia31-34L
2006InsightTexas Tech (OT)41-44L
2008InsightKansas21-42L
2009InsightIowa State13-14L
2012Meineke Car Care Of TexasTexas Tech31-34L

...... This is Minnesota football.

I'm not dissing Minneapolis--I'm dissing U of M sports and their fans. Last time I checked, me living here wasn't contingent upon bowing down and drinking Gopher Kool Aid. Trust me, there are PLENTY of people living in the Twin Cities who have absolutely no rooting interest in local sports teams. Wisconsin or Green Bay fans abound in droves.

As for why I don't like the Gophers, well you can thank your fanbase for that. I've lived in Minneapolis since 2004. Neither my wife nor I have ties here, and yet we like it very much [especially in the summer!]. I have lots of friends / colleagues who root for the local sports teams and bleed purple or blue and red, and because of them I used to pull a little for the Minnesota teams ever since we've lived here. Not that I actively rooted for them, just that the local fanbase had experienced a lot of heartbreak and near misses over the years--i.e., losing several SuperBowls, coming within a fraction of an inch year one of Favre, the disappointment of the two great teams that Denny Green had, lots of good Twins teams that couldn't get over the hump in recent years, etc.

Accordingly, I went into our game last year looking forward to watching SU play Minnesota in brand new TCF stadium, expecting that the local fanbase would be reasonably hospitable and "Minnesota Nice," in a way that fit my generalization of the local sports fans. My dad flew out for the game, and we headed to TCF looking forward to a fun experience. Instead, the fans inside TCF were complete d-bags from the opening kickoff. It is one thing to root passionately during the game, but the douchebaggery continued after the game--a game you guys won, BTW--with several groups of dipshit Gopher fans displaying zero sportsmanship and harassing us all the way out. While we were waiting at a stoplight right outside the stadium, one student expressed that he ought to punch my 62 year old dad in the face for wearing SU paraphernalia.

Needless to say, that game changed my perception of Minnesota fans. You haven't earned my respect--in fact, quite the opposite. I now find satisfaction watching the Gophers perpetually come up short. Nothing would please me more than to whip your a$$e$ in the bowl and watch SU beat the Gophers for the second time in a month.
I agree that those fans are idiots but you and I both know that almost all fan bases have idiots like that in them. Why? Because all fan bases consist of people. You telling me that Cuse doesn't have some crazy fans? Michigan doesn't have some idiot fans? C'mon son. I get that the experience sucked but I post on a Big ten board sometimes and most agree there that MN is one of the better places to visit because of the fans.anyway you're free to your opinion I just think you're letting your experience with a few idiots color your opinion of everyone

[quote="tdorf84, post: 844532, member: 4089"you had an easier conference schedule.[/quote]

Keep telling yourself that as florida state is running away with national title and clemson is walking past ohio state in the orange bowl.

I agree that those fans are idiots but you and I both know that almost all fan bases have idiots like that in them. Why? Because all fan bases consist of people. You telling me that Cuse doesn't have some crazy fans? Michigan doesn't have some idiot fans? C'mon son. I get that the experience sucked but I post on a Big ten board sometimes and most agree there that MN is one of the better places to visit because of the fans.anyway you're free to your opinion I just think you're letting your experience with a few idiots color your opinion of everyone

"Son?" This condescending attitude is exactly what I'm talking about with your a-hole fanbase that hasn't accomplished jack--- in 50 years. Can't wait until you fall back upon "the state of hockey" reference to compensate for the FACT that you are largely irrelevant in every other major sport. Newsflash--dozens of fans care about college hockey. That's all.

But back to my main point: the gophers literally can't suck and fail enough for my tastes. Fortunately, I'm rarely disappointed. Best of all, I get to enjoy every aspect of your futility from close up, here in Minneapolis. Hope you enjoy playing second fiddle to Wisconsin in every meaningful sport. BTW, I loved all the rationalizations I heard two weeks ago from your delusional fanbase about how you were going to upset us in hoops. I similarly enjoy the dismissive arrogance from your fanbase we're seeing leading up to this bowl game. I hope your players are equally as overconfident as gopher fans seem to be, because it is going to be fun to knock some sense into your frances mcdermott wannabee fanbase.

upload_2013-12-14_0-15-6.jpeg

Screw-U-Mah.

BTW, the T-Wolves got their asses beat tonight by the Spurs. Way to go, Spurs!

Last edited:
WOW, has it been entertaining catching up on this thread!! Gotta love a message board with such passionate football fans that there are about 6 regular posters. Now THAT's a fanbase!!

You might not know this but basketball season has started.