moving the chains and snapping the ball thread | Syracusefan.com

moving the chains and snapping the ball thread

upperdeck

Living Legend
I didnt want this to get lost since its been brought up in a couple of threads already. I was able to get clarity from 2 people involved with the NCAA. One with the head of the ncaa rules committee, one with the USA football who put me in touch with someone who is an ESPN NCAA Rules analyst .

Since this was brought out in the Petrino thread and that he was complaining, and also i saw some threads on the UL site with pictures.

1) the ball is held by the refs and once they put it in play its good to go
2) the chains do not need to be set for the ball to marked for play
3) the down box is the only thing that needs to be in place
4) common practice is for 8-10 secs to go by to mark a ball for play, but it can be done sooner, and usually is in end of game situations
5) refs also need to be in position before ball can be snapped.
6) if subs have been made ball will be held longer
7) there is no rule against having additional sets of chains, there is some concern that it may lead to issues with more congestion and confusion on the side lines. If SU wanted to work on it with chain crews they might be able to get it done at home games. but it would have to show that its practical for it to work right.

I didnt want this to get lost since its been brought up in a couple of threads already. I was able to get clarity from 2 people involved with the NCAA. One with the head of the ncaa rules committee, one with the USA football who put me in touch with someone who is an ESPN NCAA Rules analyst .

Since this was brought out in the Petrino thread and that he was complaining, and also i saw some threads on the UL site with pictures.

4) common practice is for 8-10 secs to go by to mark a ball for play, but it can be done sooner, and usually is in end of game situations
7) there is no rule against having additional sets of chains, there is some concern that it may lead to issues with more congestion and confusion on the side lines. If SU wanted to work on it with chain crews they might be able to get it done at home games. but it would have to show that its practical for it to work right.
Someone may want to forward this to good ole Troy.

The chains are rarely set when the refs start the clock again after a first down. That happens even when teams are going slow. As long as the down/ball marker is set, you are ready for play. I think people in general always assume that the chains need to be there first.

Maybe the chain gangs need to exercise more so they can move their azzes faster! :p

Thanks for the clarification. So in other words, Petrino can stick it.

With regards to point #6, I see this as the primary advantage of Babers' offense. Unless SU subs, it doesn't allow enough time between plays for the opposition to do situational substitution, or to get defensive play calls in from the sideline/press box. The net result is the defense ends up with players being out of position.

Fully expect we'll see a lot of "cramps" by LVille players.
100%. Saw it only twice by Colgate. But teams are absolutely going to fake some cramps if we get rolling. I guess that will just come with the territory.

Petrino just said he has confirmed with ACC that "the chains HAVE TO BE SET" he was very clear. Either he's lying or someone is giving him different info than we have here.

So expect "Honest" Bobby to make an issue of this during a crucial run when Cuse either about to go up by 2 TD's or mounting a furious come back, in order to slow everything down. Dino needs to have an NCAA rule book handy.

one coach has it right the other does not. Only the box matters. who at the ACC would he ask that did not understand how it works?

upperdeck said:
one coach has it right the other does not. Only the box matters. who at the ACC would he ask that did not understand how it works?

Can't wait until a red faced Petrino shoves the old chain gain to the ground "demonstrating" the problems.

1a3yc1.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom