My take on the upcoming hearing | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

My take on the upcoming hearing

If SU were to get a 1-year ban then UNC should get a 5-year ban.

We do.

Are you suggesting that SU didn't know what the alleged infractions were before the hearing, because I'd be shocked if that is how the process works.

Are you suggesting that SU didn't know what the alleged infractions were before the hearing, because I'd be shocked if that is how the process works.

Quite the opposite. Reading his posts above, I believe anomander is suggesting that SU officials were notified by the NCAA in advance, but since they weren't able to come to a backdoor agreement about penalties [because SU disputes some of the charges], it went to a hearing.

Quite the opposite. Reading his posts above, I believe anomander is suggesting that SU officials were notified by the NCAA in advance, but since they weren't able to come to a backdoor agreement about penalties [because SU disputes some of the charges], it went to a hearing.
A good possibility, but not good news.

A good possibility, but not good news.

Actually, it could very well be good news--as it implies that we either believe that we can legitimately contest some of the charges, or that SU believes that the penalties being suggested are too much and they're prepared to fight back against misapplied NCAA tyranny.

Either of those outcomes would be good news for us.

Actually, it could very well be good news--as it implies that we either believe that we can legitimately contest some of the charges, or that SU believes that the penalties being suggested are too much and they're prepared to fight back against misapplied NCAA tyranny.

Either of those outcomes would be good news for us.

RF, I admire you. You can always find a silver lining.

RF, I admire you. You can always find a silver lining.

It isn't a silver lining. The days of having to sit back and accept the NCAA's unilateral, inconsistently enforced BS are over. And the NCAA has never been more vulnerable in terms of public perception about the legitimacy of their enforcement powers, their tenuous relationship with the P5 that is teetering on the precipice of separation, etc.

Frankly, that SU is prepared to stand up to the NCAA is the best possible "update" I've heard since this debacle began.

RF2044 said:
It isn't a silver lining. The days of having to sit back and accept the NCAA's unilateral, inconsistently enforced BS are over. And the NCAA has never been more vulnerable in terms of public perception about the legitimacy of their enforcement powers, their tenuous relationship with the P5 that is teetering on the precipice of separation, etc. Frankly, that SU is prepared to stand up to the NCAA is the best possible "update" I've heard since this debacle began.

Well, I admire you for being able to tell me something that no news organization, including the PS, has been able to report.

SU has been aware of a penalty but is now in the process of appealing it.

Well, I admire you for being able to tell me something that no news organization, including the PS, has been able to report.

Read anomander's posts above and form your own opinion. I'm not "telling" you anything, but based upon past experience, I believe his info.

RF2044 said:
Read anomander's posts above and form your own opinion. I'm not "telling" you anything, but based upon past experience, I believe his info.

Makes sense.

Let's Remember, Syracuse has known about the hearing since May. Many posters and news outlets, including the Post-Standard are treating this hearing like its new news, when in fact it is not. The coverage both nationally and locally has been terrible. I have heard few facts regarding the investigation out of any news outlet. Very little has been factual, so I don't know how anyone can form an opinion based off the Post-Standard Reporting which is nothing but throw a bunch of words on a wall and see if we are right.

The fact that the University has known about this since May is a good sign. The coaches have recruited like they normally recruited, and still have gone about their normal activities. If things were really that bad as some posters think, that probably wouldn't be the case. The fact of the matter is whenever the media reports something, theres an overwhelming sentiment to believe the worst they say, because the media is suppose to be a check on society and the institutions we believe in. Unfortunately it's 2014, and anyone who writes a column these days thinks they are an investigative journalist.

I think as a fanbase we have done a horrible job remembering that this isn't new news, but old news. We knew there was an investigation going on in 2013 when Dirty was suspended. We knew it during our final four run. The fact that there is a hearing is just part of the process, but not new news.

This is where our frustration comes in. We know nothing, and the media can't tell us anything new, so people react to the hypothetical columns that are authored. A lot of this anxiety, anxiousness could be quelled if we just remembered that Lions don't react to the Opinion of Sheep.

Let's Remember, Syracuse has known about the hearing since May. Many posters and news outlets, including the Post-Standard are treating this hearing like its new news, when in fact it is not. The coverage both nationally and locally has been terrible. I have heard few facts regarding the investigation out of any news outlet. Very little has been factual, so I don't know how anyone can form an opinion based off the Post-Standard Reporting which is nothing but throw a bunch of words on a wall and see if we are right.

The fact that the University has known about this since May is a good sign. The coaches have recruited like they normally recruited, and still have gone about their normal activities. If things were really that bad as some posters think, that probably wouldn't be the case. The fact of the matter is whenever the media reports something, theres an overwhelming sentiment to believe the worst they say, because the media is suppose to be a check on society and the institutions we believe in. Unfortunately it's 2014, and anyone who writes a column these days thinks they are an investigative journalist.

I think as a fanbase we have done a horrible job remembering that this isn't new news, but old news. We knew there was an investigation going on in 2013 when Dirty was suspended. We knew it during our final four run. The fact that there is a hearing is just part of the process, but not new news.

This is where our frustration comes in. We know nothing, and the media can't tell us anything new, so people react to the hypothetical columns that are authored. A lot of this anxiety, anxiousness could be quelled if we just remembered that Lions don't react to the Opinion of Sheep.

I wish i could like this post 1000 times

Don't get me started on the coverage by the Syracuse Substandard and Syracuse.com (Chris Carlson, thought he was gonna have a piece on what Scott Shafer had to eat on the plane back from Chicago to Syracuse after he left the hearing) Chris Carlson, Nate Mink but notably Chris Carlson.

I think people (Including myself) either forgot this Investigation was on going/out there from March 2013 to October 2014 or something else. This was not just gonna go away, and was going to come to an end/resolution at some point.

Let's see what comes out and what comes with it/if anything, and if so take the punishment or penalty whatever that may be and move on.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom