Myles Farmer transferring to App State | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Myles Farmer transferring to App State

I mean Farmer really didn’t do it for me. Seemed slow and really only made 1 play that stood out.
I expected more from him. He really didn’t play all that much and when he did, I don’t remember him doing much.I seemed to remember him missing tackles and I think got a bad penalty once that killed us. I think he was on a lot of special teams though.

Grant will start. Book it. Sure he needs to prove himself but he’s going to start. He’s coming over with UB DC. They were after him hard. Duce a peanut compared to him. He’s an nfl safety. Don’t care if he transferred from morrisville
They both can start. Grant can start at what traditionally would be FS and Duce could bulk up a bit and be SS, with Barron at the Hybrid DB/LBer role. Duce is 5'11 205 right now. Shamarko was 5'9 205 and a hell of a SS.

Assuming 4-2-5, isn't there room for Barron, Clark and Grant to start?

Farmer would have been a nice depth piece, but he has one year left so I assume he wants a more likely chance to start.

Assuming 4-2-5, isn't there room for Barron, Clark and Grant to start?

Farmer would have been a nice depth piece, but he has one year left so I assume he wants a more likely chance to start.
Agreed. Chestnut to spell 1 or 2 of those guys (and backup corner?), and depending on matchups he could still play as much as a starter

They both can start. Grant can start at what traditionally would be FS and Duce could bulk up a bit and be SS, with Barron at the Hybrid DB/LBer role. Duce is 5'11 205 right now. Shamarko was 5'9 205 and a hell of a SS.
I get the size comparison and Duce was a well above average tackler but imo it feels like the tackles he would have to make at safety are different. Duce excelled at tackling in open space at corner almost entirely by wrapping the receiver down low. The type of tackles he will have to make at safety are different types of tackles we haven't seen much of. Especially if he were SS (Not sure how they'll be utilized in this defense?) forcing him to cover the wide side of the field, where he either has to fight off blocks, and make more tackles vs RB’s where they are coming downhill at him more in th middle of the field? I think he may be better suited for FS but jumping on play-action was his achilles heel sophomore year. Other than that being able to use his insticts and make plays could better be utilized here. Then again that’s assuming they use the positions in their traditional way.

I still think his best position is corner. We’ve witnessed him with our own eyes excel as a freshman. I don’t see why he would be cooked all a sudden? A few adjustments and maybe we get freshman season Duce?

For those with a better football mind than I: Can Duce play a similar role to Taron Johnson in the Bills D?

Add Clark to the mix, secondary shaping up nicely

Add Clark to the mix, secondary shaping up nicely
Yeah - not concerned at all about safety. With the transfers, incoming kids, what's on the current roster, we should be good there. Concerned for sure about Corner though.

Barnes commit tomorrow
That helps. But if Duce is really projecting to S that leaves us with Long/Barnes/Haile? (not sure if he's CB or S) as True Frosh, and then Bellamy/Delaine/Perry as carryovers. Plus the rumored WR converting to CB. That's still only 6-7 and UGA running a 4-2-5 seemed like they had 100 cornerbacks based on the number in the portal lol.

I think there's more top end talent at safety but we're thin. 4 maybe 5 bodies?

Barnes has drawn rave reviews over several days (not just 1) for his AA game practices. If his coverage is that sticky he'll start here.

Bellamy struggled imo, worse than Wilson. Deuce has proven to be a front line ACC cornerback. I don't know if it makes sense to have him be a backup safety.

Clark is a wildcard. Fran had him playing CB at ruckers. Doesn't have elite speed but is tall and has long arms and might be good in press coverage.

Don't know if it means anything but South Florida stayed away from DeLaine and attacked Bellamy.

Haven't seen anything from Perry or Buxton (or Braheem Long) so can't comment but I think the players vying for the 2 starting CB spot would be Deuce, DeLaine and Barnes; short of bringing in a portal cb.

I think there's more top end talent at safety but we're thin. 4 maybe 5 bodies?

Barnes has drawn rave reviews over several days (not just 1) for his AA game practices. If his coverage is that sticky he'll start here.

Bellamy struggled imo, worse than Wilson. Deuce has proven to be a front line ACC cornerback. I don't know if it makes sense to have him be a backup safety.

Clark is a wildcard. Fran had him playing CB at ruckers. Doesn't have elite speed but is tall and has long arms and might be good in press coverage.

Don't know if it means anything but South Florida stayed away from DeLaine and attacked Bellamy.

Haven't seen anything from Perry or Buxton (or Braheem Long) so can't comment but I think the players vying for the 2 starting CB spot would be Deuce, DeLaine and Barnes; short of bringing in a portal cb.
It will be disappointing if we can't at least get 1 of the SEC caliber transfers. I think we really need it and it will be a difference maker situation.

It will be disappointing if we can't at least get 1 of the SEC caliber transfers. I think we really need it and it will be a difference maker situation.

Now that I'm laying it down on paper I really wish we got both Philostin and Beasley. Philostin would've competed for the 2 deep and Beasley would've been a nice bridge.

To my eye, Clark has been solid at safety. Good in run support, rangy, decent speed and cover skills and a tough hombre. Hard to imagine him not being in the mix at safety or star with Barron and Grant (Martin and Gould depth pieces).

Starters at CB (?):
-Duce (not elite speed but proven performer, also can play star position);
-Barnes (class of '24, 4*'s and reputation as lock down cover)

Rotation Guys:
-Delaine (appeared in 4-5 games last year)
-Perry (ST and some snaps at CB last year)
-Long ('24, jan. enrollee)
-Haile ('24, Jan. enrollee, possible safety?)
-Bellamy (burned repeatedly and picked on in recent games)

Last edited:
To my eye, Clark has been solid at safety. Good in run support, rangy, decent speed and cover skills and a tough hombre. Hard to imagine him not being in the mix at safety or star with Barron and Grant (Martin and Gould depth pieces).

Starters at CB (?):

Rotation Guys:
If you get better pass rush out of the DL, it will help the CB, and safeties out.

Starters at CB (?):

Rotation Guys:

Duce had a terrible year at LSU. Played 81 snaps at CB in 4 games and scored (PFF - if you have a better way of measuring performance, please me know) 57.6 He graded out at 76.3 in 2022 and 74.0 in 2021, which are very good scores. Can he regain his previous form? Will he play corner or safety? There are plenty of 5'10" safeties in the NFL. I trust Fran will put him in a position that is best for the team and best for Duce.

Barron will likely be the primary player at STAR, he's not built to play over the top as the other safety position will be required to do.

Barnes penciled in as a starter? Maybe, but I'd like to get him on campus before we give him the keys to the car. This presumption also is very dismissive of Bellamy and Delaine.
  • Bellamy played in 11 games and more than 400 snaps at CB last year. Graded 72.3
  • Delaine played in 13 games, 9 games and more than 200 snaps at CB. Graded 71.1
Bellamy and Delaine were both redshirt freshman last season and played significant snaps for the first time in college. Coach Long played a ton of zero coverage (man with no safety help over the top) last season, which put the corners on an island. Long did this because we weren't getting consistent pressure on the QB, so we blitzed and played cover zero a ton. Very difficult for a couple of redshirt freshmen. I expect they will both improve.

Martin got a look at safety early in camp last summer before being moved to CB before the season. He played in 10 games with 4 games and approximately 40 snaps at CB where he was graded 74.7

Perry has been a safety since he arrived on campus in January of 2022. Played in 10 games on special teams and 4 games (19 snaps at safety).

I think Gould and Grant (and maybe Duce) will battle it out for the second safety position (Clark at the other safety position).

Long and Haile are decent prospects, but both are unproven on the collegiate level.

Buxton is the only other scholarship corner currently on the roster. He was one of those guys who was brought in before fall camp last year to add depth to our special teams. He played 10 games and 75 snaps on special teams. We brought in Buxton (6'2", 205), Seabourne (6'1", 208) who has since entered the portal, and Gilmore (6'4", 225) for depth on special teams. Big athletic guys who could help give some starters a break on specials.

Masters is currently our only walk-on at CB. Played in two games, approximately 20 snaps at CB. Graded 66.2

Porter and Reirden are two walk-ons at safety. Porter played in four games, 29 snaps on special teams and ten snaps at safety. Graded 63.9 Reirden played in two games, seven snaps.

It's not over. This roster is not set yet, and likely will not be set until fall camp opens next August.

A new DC.
A new scheme.
New position coaches.

Last edited:
SS FS, Nickel. Clark can play some SS as well.
Barron will get smoked in the Nickel. He needs to be high side (10%) and box (90%). Slot receivers will eat him alive.

Barron will get smoked in the Nickel. He needs to be high side (10%) and box (90%). Slot receivers will eat him alive.
Barron fits best at their Star position. The position has the responsibilities of both a weak side linebacker and a nickel back. Some times he will be in zone and sometimes he will be asked to play man. Barron is a versatile player and that's what that position requires. Keep in mind that a true corner can be put in there for certain situations.

Barnes penciled in as a starter? Maybe, but I'd like to get him on campus before we give him the keys to the car. This presumption also is very dismissive of Bellamy and Delaine.
Dont know why some slot HS kids as starters. There will be a learning curve no matter the acolades or rankings. Plus its too hard to predict how each player adjusts once they hit campus.

Now that I'm laying it down on paper I really wish we got both Philostin and Beasley. Philostin would've competed for the 2 deep and Beasley would've been a nice bridge.
Beasley was one of my biggest wants. I really thought we had a shot for the flip.
Duce had a terrible year at LSU. Played 81 snaps at CB in 4 games and scored (PFF - if you have a better way of measuring performance, please me know) 57.6 He graded out at 76.3 in 2022 and 74.0 in 2021, which are very good scores. Can he regain his previous form? Will he play corner or safety? There are plenty of 5'10" safeties in the NFL. I trust Fran will put him in a position that is best for the team and best for Duce.

Barron will likely be the primary player at STAR, he's not built to play over the top as the other safety position will be required to do.

• Bellamy played in 11 games and more than 400 snaps at CB last year. Graded 72.3
  • Delaine played in 13 games, 9 games and more than 200 snaps at CB. Graded 71.1
Bellamy and Delaine were both redshirt freshman last season and played significant snaps for the first time in college. Coach Long played a ton of zero coverage (man with no safety help over the top) last season, which put the corners on an island. Long did this because we weren't getting consistent pressure on the QB, so we blitzed and played cover zero a ton. Very difficult for a couple of redshirt freshmen. I expect they will both improve.

Martin got a look at safety early in camp last summer before being moved to CB before the season. He played in 10 games with 4 games and approximately 40 snaps at CB where he was graded 74.7

Perry has been a safety since he arrived on campus in January of 2022. Played in 10 games on special teams and 4 games (19 snaps at safety).

I think Gould and Grant (and maybe Duce) will battle it out for the second safety position (Clark at the other safety position).

Long and Haile are decent prospects, but both are unproven on the collegiate level.

Buxton is the only other scholarship corner currently on the roster. He was one of those guys who was brought in before fall camp last year to add depth to our special teams. He played 10 games and 75 snaps on special teams. We brought in Buxton (6'2", 205), Seabourne (6'1", 208) who has since entered the portal, and Gilmore (6'4", 225) for depth on special teams. Big athletic guys who could help give some starters a break on specials.

Masters is currently our only walk-on at CB. Played in two games, approximately 20 snaps at CB. Graded 66.2

Porter and Reirden are two walk-ons at safety. Porter played in four games, 29 snaps on special teams and ten snaps at safety. Graded 63.9 Reirden played in two games, seven snaps.

It's not over. This roster is not set yet, and likely will not be set until fall camp opens next August.

A new DC.
A new scheme.
New position coaches.
I like Barnes as the next guy and think he has the ability to contribute a lot to this program, but pencliling him at starting corner at only 165lbs might be too much to ask as he transitions his game and body to this level. A year in the S&C program and being an emergency guy are my expectations.

As for ST’s I think it’s too important to just throw guys out there to give starters a rest. I like schools that put there best athlete’s out there and try to make an impact. I know it’s old school, but it made a career at VT under Beamer and I thought Saban does the same thing. 2018 showed us how much of a difference great ST’s play made. Granted I don’t believe we played all rotation guys but men like Canton-Arku and i’m forgetting the other one, were absolute menaces the entire year.

I think some of the names mentioned could be space made for positons of need since we have the insane luxury of probably having to choose between key position areas and telling kids we would otherwise take, no.

Right now I think Bellamy is penciled in as one corner but i hope to see improvement.

Delaine didn’t really stand out either way but let’s have him fight for a position and re-evaluate in Spring.

I don’t even remember Long which is never a good thing.

I thought Haile was brought in as a WR but considering how full that room is I can see him playing defense.

Smith and Perry have the feel of someone who may never see the field.

I had the same impression of Gould as I did of Farmer last year which wasn’t good. Never stood out and seemed a step slow. Big year for him. Earn your spot or get passed by with the younger talent we’re accumulating.

I’m fine with Duce at nickel or if hw proves himself and based on who we bring in corner.

Still seems to me we really need to bring in game ready corners and the options are widdling down by the day. Clark doesn’t strike me as a corner and think he’s done a good job at safety.

Will be interesting to see if we can get any of these plug and play corners we’re after.

Dont know why some slot HS kids as starters. There will be a learning curve no matter the acolades or rankings. Plus its too hard to predict how each player adjusts once they hit campus.
You guys are more knowledgeable with coaching experience, etc. I just didn't like what I saw from Delaine or Bellamy this season in their second year (Edit). Yes they were RS' but Duce came in as a freshman and immediately looked good. That's what I imagine for Barnes. Of course, as more of a consumer on here than a contributor, I might be wearing Orange glasses. But I don't take it personally and appreciate the insights. :)

Last edited:
You guys are more knowledgeable with coaching experience, etc. I just didn't like what I saw from Delaine or Bellamy this past year in their second year with the program. Yes they were RS frosh but Duce who came in as a freshman and immediately looked good. That's what I imagine for Barnes. Of course, as more of a consumer on here than a contributor, I could be off. Either way I don't take it personally and appreciate your insights. :)
I believe that 2023 was Bellamy's first year with the program after transferring from ND.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom