Name, Image, Likeness | Syracusefan.com

Name, Image, Likeness

Lawrinson14

Master Image Editor
Was thinking about this a bit this morning as my team is currently planning a photo shoot at the agency I work at...

Say the name, image, likeness bill passes. Forget car dealer commercials, autograph signings, and social media influencer dollars. The part that I cannot for the life of me wrap my head around is the implications that it will have on the university.

In the advertising world, you either:
a. Pay the talent a flat fee and then can use their image as much as you'd like. Usually a high amount of $$$.
b. Pay them based on how often you use their likeness. For example: running a banner ad? Model gets $. Print ad? Model gets $.

So when it comes to the university and sports, how will this be handled? Will the Universities be forced to pay athletes $XXX,XXX per year for all rights? Will they pay student athletes for every banner ad, email, social media post, etc? Will the students be able to hire an agent to negotiate these deals with the schools they play for?

Not saying i'm against it (actually for it), but this bill really opens Pandora's Box.

I'm guessing it'll be accounted for by their scholarships, which I would imagine it already is now.

I'm guessing it'll be accounted for by their scholarships, which I would imagine it already is now.
But as "talent" they should be able to negotiate that, no?

Another thing I was wondering, how would it work with wearing Syracuse gear? Say it was a car commercial, could they wear their Syracuse jersey?

Last edited:
Was thinking about this a bit this morning as my team is currently planning a photo shoot at the agency I work at...

Say the name, image, likeness bill passes. Forget car dealer commercials, autograph signings, and social media influencer dollars. The part that I cannot for the life of me wrap my head around is the implications that it will have on the university.

a. Pay the talent a flat fee and then can use their image as much as you'd like. Usually a high amount of $$$.
b. Pay them based on how often you use their likeness. For example: running a banner ad? Model gets $. Print ad? Model gets $.

So when it comes to the university and sports, how will this be handled? Will the Universities be forced to pay athletes $XXX,XXX per year for all rights? Will they pay student athletes for every banner ad, email, social media post, etc? Will the students be able to hire an agent to negotiate these deals with the schools they play for?

Not saying i'm against it (actually for it), but this bill really opens Pandora's Box.

would assume the athletes would sign away their likeness for use by the University when they sign up for the team.

the Agent part. I would assume will probably would be against the “rules“ and will be done anyway

Another thing I was wondering, but how would it work with wearing Syracuse gear? Say it was a car commercial, could they wear their Syracuse jersey?

Nope. Gmac and Jb dont currently

would assume the athletes would sign away their likeness for use by the University when they sign up for the team.

the Agent part. I would assume will probably would be against the “rules“ and will be done anyway
But what's stopping any school (with a huge budget) from not having them sign their likeness away? That becomes a recruiting pitch right there.

But as "talent" they should be able to negotiate that, no?
In theory, but if schools can't pay them (and they can't so far), it'll be more of a take it or leave it.

Some schools will be better than others at facilitating the NIL money, in I'm sure legal ways and illegal ways (per the law and per the NCAA). That's where the differentiation will likely be.

Will CBS, ESPN, etc. have to pay for promos

But what's stopping any school (with a huge budget) from not having them sign their likeness away? That becomes a recruiting pitch right there.

probably some NCAA ”rule” making them ineligible

100% yes
I would think that the agreement the player signs with the university when the scholarship offer is accepted will be amended to formally sign away NIL rights so the university has the right to use pictures or videos of the athlete taken on campus while the athlete is performing activities directly related to the sports they have received a scholarship for.

So the university does not have to pay when they include a picture of an athlete in action in a press release. Or when a video of a player being interviewed after a game is released.

I would think entities like ESPN or CBS, who have paid for exclusive rights to televise events with a given conference (and the schools and athletes involved), have the right to use NIL for those athletes to promote or actually televise their games. They paid for this. The athletes signed away the rights to their NIL for athletic events when the sign their scholarship papers.

NIL would come into play for things outside of athletic events. Commercials. Endorsements. Athletes selling things they create or license (which I would guess will not be able to feature actual uniforms, university logos, etc.. at least not without express written permission of the school).

If Holy Shirt wants to do a Buddy Buckets t-shirt, Buddy needs to sign off on the deal, and presumably get paid.

I am no legal expert, just thinking out loud here.

I would think that the agreement the player signs with the university when the scholarship offer is accepted will be amended to formally sign away NIL rights so the university has the right to use pictures or videos of the athlete taken on campus while the athlete is performing activities directly related to the sports they have received a scholarship for.

So the university does not have to pay when they include a picture of an athlete in action in a press release. Or when a video of a player being interviewed after a game is released.

I would think entities like ESPN or CBS, who have paid for exclusive rights to televise events with a given conference (and the schools and athletes involved), have the right to use NIL for those athletes to promote or actually televise their games. They paid for this. The athletes signed away the rights to their NIL for athletic events when the sign their scholarship papers.

NIL would come into play for things outside of athletic events. Commercials. Endorsements. Athletes selling things they create or license (which I would guess will not be able to feature actual uniforms, university logos, etc.. at least not without express written permission of the school).

If Holy Shirt wants to do a Buddy Buckets t-shirt, Buddy needs to sign off on the deal, and presumably get paid.

I think this is right.

It’s going to be the wild, Wild West out there.

and to the schools with the most and deepest pocketed boosters the recruits will go. More so than today under the table.

Talking about watching games and too many commercials, is Buffalo Wild Wings compensating the Wisconsin player (probably former) who runs by the camera w/ three fingers out and the UNC players and others who are "eating" in celebration of some event on the court?

Isn't this the issue that started the suit against the video game makers?

and to the schools with the most and deepest pocketed boosters the recruits will go. More so than today under the table.

This will be a supercharging of the rich get richer model. Go to Kentucky where you can do a meet and greet at a booster dinner and get a $75k appearance fee, etc.

who cares. Kentucky and UNC already get all top 100 recruits anyway. These players are worth it for the schools

Talking about watching games and too many commercials, is Buffalo Wild Wings compensating the Wisconsin player (probably former) who runs by the camera w/ three fingers out and the UNC players and others who are "eating" in celebration of some event on the court?

Isn't this the issue that started the suit against the video game makers?

Sam Dekker. His wife (Oliva Harlan) is a real looker! :)

1617046268478.png

who cares. Kentucky and UNC already get all top 100 recruits anyway. These players are worth it for the schools

it’ll be much wider and deeper now.

the only way paying works is if all the money goes into one pot and gets split amongst all the players equally. In a real world it would all go into one huge pot and get split among every player on every team equally. not even sure how title IX handles all of this.

it’ll be much wider and deeper now.
the elite 8 is currently P5 and Gonzaga.
Clemson, Ohio State, and/or Alabama are in the champ game every year in football.

the idea that this is about fairness is so laughable. Is the current system fair to SUNY Albany right now vs us? Or does that not matter?

the only difference will be instead of “facilities” and “Coach buyouts“ being paid for by boosters, if will go to the players. The horror

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom