NCAA investigation: Internship hours, ties between YMCA and Syracuse athletes part of inquiry | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

NCAA investigation: Internship hours, ties between YMCA and Syracuse athletes part of inquiry

Are people really blaming the P-S writers for investigating this? When did we become FSU fans? Obviously they need to look into this, it is their job.

Hear, hear!

It also should be noted that at this point, they're mostly telling us what the NCAA already has investigated, rather than breaking any new ground/violations themselves as in the reports that led to the 1992 probation.

If anything, they're a little late to the game.

CuseHulk said:
That's not what you said though. You just said mean SU is taking seriously. That doesn't mean, What/If/or how severe or unsevere the result will be. This whole thing just needs to be resolved and settled. Move On !!!

I didn't say what if how severe anything would be either. It's quite simple. Based on the players the allegations must be pretty severe.

Fingers crossed.

I wouldn't be wringing my hands about this yet BUT, I wouldn't be mocking everything about it either. SU certainly didn't.

We brought a boatload of SU people and lawyers to the meeting including the new chancellor. SU took it very seriously considering they have been classified as major and not minor. And anytime an outside entity is named, or brought along, or has a lawyer, you have to be concerned.

Fingers crossed there was nothing there and it's some minor stuff resulting in some minor penalties not including a tourney ban.

exactly.

Cornish? Wow. I know that guy. Or used to.
You gotta be kidding me with this. Posted by, in the comments section.

Nate Mink | nmink@syracuse.com9 minutes ago

Hey all, we're still following a lot of leads on this story. If you have any information you wish to share with us, I encourage you to contact John, Chris or I.

Here is our contact info:

John O'Brien: jobrien@syracuse.com ; phone 315-470-2187

Chris Carlson: ccarlson@syracuse.com ; phone: 315-412-1639

Nate Mink: nmink@syracuse.com ; phone: 315-430-8253

I'm going to moon the camera and then send them a link.

BlackKnight76 said:
Are people really blaming the P-S writers for investigating this? When did we become FSU fans? Obviously they need to look into this, it is their job.

I think it's the way they are reporting that's the issue here. Inserting things that are innuendo for instance.

It was more about them asking the Syracuse.com mouthbreathers for leads in the comments sections that got to me. Holy , what a Micky Mouse operation that is.

Based on the players the allegations must be pretty severe.

Fingers crossed.

That does not mean, That any consequences would be as severe or would have to be a severe.

This is the NCAA, and the NCAA in it's current state (Not Like it was 20 or so years ago) which has been well documented.

Lawrinson14 any chance you can get some photoshop action on this SU hoops/YMCA connection?

View attachment 30254
village people Cuse.jpg

Me neither. Here's what is important to keep in mind about this investigation, from top to bottom: we gave them the opportunity to look under our skirts, they've spent two years doing so, and they probably did not find anything major--despite that asinine, anyonymous proclomation a couple of years ago that if you threw a dart at the rule book, you'd hit a rule we broke.

Instead, they found four different categories of stuff that are all pretty minor:

1. A bunch of penny ante stuff--administrivia type of infractions
  2. Things that seem unseemly on the surface [like this report], but for which they lack evidence to support that something actually happened that was an instance of rules breaking
  3. Minor procedural violations that required adjustment to the controls to ensure that they don't happen again, and for which we've already made those adjustments before the NCAA got involved
  4. Stuff that we self-reported that was fairly minor, but we still proactively addressed it

Their strategic approach is to take stuff from all four categories, that don't amount to a hill of beans individually, and paint the picture that the whole is greater than the sum of the individual parts vis a vis lack of institutional control. In other words, throwing sh-t against the wall to see what sticks. SU has solid footing IMO to tell the NCAA to go pound salt if it comes to that, because it isn't difficult to envision most of this not holding up.

I mean honestly, does this stuff ever happen at Duke? Why does all this stuff happen to us?

First, what $350,000 embezzelment? Have charges been filed? Doesn't appear so. Is there any proof that if there was a $350,000 embezzelment any Syracuse athletes recieved $$ from that? It doesn't appear so. I guess they are saying that this guy, with the Syracuse connections, recieved $$ from syracuse boosters, put it in a special account named YMCA, then shipped some of that $$ to Syracuse athletes. Oh, and with no paper trail because if there was , syracuse would have accepted whatever punishment the ncaa wanted to dish out. A lot of smoke and mirrors it seems to me. No wonder we are fighting this tooth and nail

Yeah, I'm thinking along these same lines. The Kentucky's of this world don't need DOT workers to steal money in order to give illegal benefits to their prize players. They find alumni/boosters with big cash to make these things happen. And I'm certain if SU (or anyone associated with the University/programs) was controlling this, in no way would they ever think this would be the way to do it. But that's just me.

I mean honestly, does this stuff ever happen at Duke? Why does all this stuff happen to us?
I don't think the NCAA has a lot of resources to go looking under rocks. I think unless someone delivers a package to them they won't pursue a lot of rumors. I would have to think that every school (or their boosters) has broken some type of rule. And when I say every school, I mean D-1, D-2 and D-3. Didn't you play Lax somewhere. I'm sure at your school some of the athletes were treated just a little bit different than the general student. I know at Oswego the hockey players and some of the others were.

Why is no deal, or big enough deal being made bout this.

Nate Mink | nmink@syracuse.com5 hours ago

Hey all, we're still following a lot of leads on this story. If you have any information you wish to share with us, I encourage you to contact John, Chris or I.

_______

What kind of Journalism is this ?

Posting asking for information in the comments section (Those of you defending them) defend this ?

BlackKnight76 said:

I don't have a problem with them reporting on this, but I do have a problem with them putting out a piece that is borderline accusatory prior to collecting many facts. They readily admitted in the comments that they haven't done enough research yet to finish the piece. This isn't a game to SU. The PS has a duty to be a little more careful with stories of this nature. But, that's "journalism" in 2014.

Why is no deal, or big enough deal being made bout this.

Nate Mink | nmink@syracuse.com5 hours ago

_______

What kind of Journalism is this ?

Posting asking for information in the comments section (Those of you defending them) defend this ?

The new kind. I'm sure there are plenty of people who have heard/seen little things over the years at SU or any other major D1 college in the country that seem off. I have my own story from my brief time on the hill, but that's not pertinent here. Just saying that there are people who know things, heck, some I've seen posted here make some of our former players seem like questionable human beings, and they might be willing to share. My real concern with that is the crackpots who might make stuff up. These 'reporters' better be careful with the info they get.

The new kind. I'm sure there are plenty of people who have heard/seen little things over the years at SU or any other major D1 college in the country that seem off. I have my own story from my brief time on the hill, but that's not pertinent here. Just saying that there are people who know things, heck, some I've seen posted here make some of our former players seem like questionable human beings, and they might be willing to share. My real concern with that is the crackpots who might make stuff up. These 'reporters' better be careful with the info they get.

Here is the thing, The Investigation is over. Syracuse University got the Notice the Investigation was over and set for the hearing date in May.

I don't get it. What information on are they trying to get.

CuseHulk said:
That does not mean, That any consequences would be as severe or would have to be a severe. This is the NCAA, and the NCAA in it's current state (Not Like it was 20 or so years ago) which has been well documented.

You keep commenting on my posts about things I didn't post about.

But I do agree the NCAA doesn't have the teeth they used to. I've said that plenty of times. The p5 possible split scares the crap out of them.

Here is the thing, The Investigation is over. Syracuse University got the Notice the Investigation was over and set for the hearing date in May.

I don't get it. What information on are they trying to get.

I'm assuming they (the reporters) are trying to get the whole story as told to the NCAA prior to the NCAA releasing their report. That's just an assumption.

I'm also assuming, unlike many here, that these reporters are being ordered to do this story by the powers that be at the paper in order to shield the paper from retribution by the University and our beloved JB. "they were just trying to make a name for themselves on their way out of town" the editors/bosses at the paper will say. that's just a hunch though.

CuseFaninVT said:
I'm assuming they (the reporters) are trying to get the whole story as told to the NCAA prior to the NCAA releasing their report. That's just an assumption. I'm also assuming, unlike many here, that these reporters are being ordered to do this story by the powers that be at the paper in order to shield the paper from retribution by the University and our beloved JB. "they were just trying to make a name for themselves on their way out of town" the editors/bosses at the paper will say. that's just a hunch though.

The paper is anxious to get its hands on whatever information is out there. There isn't much, and most people in the know are keeping quiet. They did a good job uncovering what they did, but it didn't break any new ground.