NCAA investigation: Internship hours, ties between YMCA and Syracuse athletes part of inquiry | Page 9 | Syracusefan.com

NCAA investigation: Internship hours, ties between YMCA and Syracuse athletes part of inquiry

Exactly. A lot of young reporters looking to make a name for themselves.

Remember that kid that reported something on Twitter around the time of the Bernie Fine thing and lost his job?

Remember that kid that reported something on Twitter around the time of the Bernie Fine thing and lost his job?

Andy Adamson. That was during the Scoop point shaving deal.

No clue why I remember that

So apparently they really are using a dart board for this investigation.
Post Standard writers
images

Cuse fans
images

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/s...ation-syracuse-university-includes-local-ymca

Front page of ESPN. It only took 24 hours later...still "unclear"

Exactly what I was referring to in my posts above. Now it is amplified 1000x. Now let's review the line again:

The Post-Standard of Syracuse reports that NCAA investigators asked about a former YMCA employee in nearby Oneida who had exceptional access to Syracuse men's basketball players and was sued for allegedly misappropriating close to $350,000 from the Y.

The paper said it is unclear if any of those funds were given to athletes.

Congrats Post-Standard. Your BS line did its job.

I tweeted Chris Carlson yesterday. Said I couldn't wait for Boeheim to open fire on him once the findings are revealed. He said he'll be front and center!

Exactly what I was referring to in my posts above. Now it is amplified 1000x. Now let's review the line again:

The Post-Standard of Syracuse reports that NCAA investigators asked about a former YMCA employee in nearby Oneida who had exceptional access to Syracuse men's basketball players and was sued for allegedly misappropriating close to $350,000 from the Y.

The paper said it is unclear if any of those funds were given to athletes.

Congrats Post-Standard. Your BS line did its job.

The people complaining about new journalism remind he the British must have felt after we started using non-traditional fighting methods and won the revolutionary war against the greatest power in the world. You evolve or you perish.

Good point.
I'll also add that any extraneous issues won't mitigate our punishment no matter how much we'd like it to be so.
I was driving on Rt. 17 once and I was the 4th of 5 cars going over the speed limit. The cop came outta nowhere, by-passed the 5th car, ignored the first 3, and pulled me over. Obviously my first question was why had he stopped me instead of one of the others?
His response; "Today's your lucky day".
Pissed me off, but I realized that just because I'd been one of many, that didn't "protect" me or absolve me of breaking the law.
Until this thing is resolved and we know more, it makes little sense to cry over bad journalism, an unfair/unnecessary investigation, or the woes and issues of others. JMHO

lol, espn now has this as one of their main page headlines :rolleyes:

I think many of you are missing the critical point with regard to this Cornish guy. The paper reported that the NCAA made him part of the investigation, so it seems apparent the NCAA believes, and perhaps even formally alleged, that there was some impropriety associated with him and the program. Whether they could prove that or not - or what the alleged impropriety entailed - who knows, but they clearly believed something was amiss.

The internships are also concerning. If players were getting paid and/or getting academic credits for bogus internships, that ain't good. Once again, crossing my fingers that the proof wasn't there, but I think we are all forgetting that the reason for the hearing was because the NCAA alleged "serious" violations after a lengthy investigation.

MeloMan said:
I think many of you are missing the critical point with regard to this Cornish guy. The paper reported that the NCAA made him part of the investigation, so it seems apparent the NCAA believes, and perhaps even formally alleged, that there was some impropriety associated with him and the program. Whether they could prove that or not - or what the alleged impropriety entailed - who knows, but they clearly believed something was amiss.

The internships are also concerning. If players were getting paid and/or getting academic credits for bogus internships, that ain't good. Once again, crossing my fingers that the proof wasn't there, but I think we are all forgetting that the reason for the hearing was because the NCAA alleged "serious" violations after a lengthy investigation.

I don't think anyone missed this point. But, it's one thing for the ncaa to speculate in a bi-lateral discussion with SU and another for the PS to insinuate that something went on without having any evidence and then asking their readers to step up and give them some.

Last edited:
Not a problem that needs to be solved IMO. Internships all over the place are bogus. Math majors and humanities get credit for lame internships too. Why is an athlete different?

The internships weren't bogus, the reporting of the hours was sloppy to say the least

The internships weren't bogus, the reporting of the hours was sloppy to say the least
I'm not disputing what you wrote, but I'm curious how you know this.

I think what he meant came from the article, which insinuated that controls were lacking around who was authorized to approve the hours.

You keep commenting on my posts about things I didn't post about.

But I do agree the NCAA doesn't have the teeth they used to. I've said that plenty of times. The p5 possible split scares the crap out of them.

Ha. This thread got much better (and many others did too), when I, for the first time ever, implemented the ignore feature. Unfortunately, I'm doubting that is a viable option for you since you are a mod. I feel for you!

I think what he meant came from the article, which insinuated that controls were lacking around who was authorized to approve the hours.

Yes the article says as much. Poor oversight of the program by the university. the hours worked were not bogus, just the method in which to track the hours was piss poor.