NCAA investigation: Internship hours, ties between YMCA and Syracuse athletes part of inquiry | Page 8 | Syracusefan.com

NCAA investigation: Internship hours, ties between YMCA and Syracuse athletes part of inquiry

Why is no deal, or big enough deal being made bout this.

Nate Mink | nmink@syracuse.com5 hours ago

Hey all, we're still following a lot of leads on this story. If you have any information you wish to share with us, I encourage you to contact John, Chris or I.

Here is our contact info:
_______

What kind of Journalism is this ?

Posting asking for information in the comments section (Those of you defending them) defend this ?

Not defending this practice -- it makes me a little uncomfortable also.

But I think what THEY would say is that it's the "new" journalism. Interactive. The same way you get to have an exchange with writers about routine stories they have just written, which happens pretty consistently now.

They are not necessarily asking only for incriminating information, although I realize that is the strong implication here. But if, for example, you knew Cornish wasn't charged criminally because he didn't actually embezzle the money, you'd be entitled to come forward with that, right?

I hope you take the opportunity to ask them how they defend it. Let us know how they respond.

Not defending this practice -- it makes me a little uncomfortable also.

But I think what THEY would say is that it's the "new" journalism. Interactive. The same way you get to have an exchange with writers about routine stories they have just written, which happens pretty consistently now.

They are not necessarily asking only for incriminating information, although I realize that is the strong implication here. But if, for example, you knew Cornish wasn't charged criminally because he didn't actually embezzle the money, you'd be entitled to come forward with that, right?

I hope you take the opportunity to ask them how they defend it. Let us know how they respond.
Why not put it directly in the article body? Comments section, that's weird.

I have absolutely no problem with the ncaa looking into things. My problem all along was the timing of this probe.
The probe was started by SU self reporting violations.

hungrychuck said:
Not defending this practice -- it makes me a little uncomfortable also. But I think what THEY would say is that it's the "new" journalism. Interactive. The same way you get to have an exchange with writers about routine stories they have just written, which happens pretty consistently now. They are not necessarily asking only for incriminating information, although I realize that is the strong implication here. But if, for example, you knew Cornish wasn't charged criminally because he didn't actually embezzle the money, you'd be entitled to come forward with that, right? I hope you take the opportunity to ask them how they defend it. Let us know how they respond.

Yea, deadspin does this all the time, but in the article, not the comments section.

All I have to say is now that the 2017 Final Four is in Phoenix we better not get a ban that year. Cause I plan on seeing everyone here!!! Buffalo, Brooklyn and Phoenix!!!
Other than that, I am just holding my breath that we get out of this ok. We can speculate all we want one way or the other, but we don't really know anything, and won't until the decision comes down.
I'll be right there next to you! haha

I agree with this point. That's a cheap backdoor way to raise the point, and shouldn't have gotten past an editor.
I can't believe the article made it past one. It was terribly written and confused.

Yea, deadspin does this all the time, but in the article, not the comments section.

I'm with you guys. It still seems weird to me to be asking readers for help, so I'm not claiming any expertise in how to do it.

No doubt they're taking it seriously. But the presence of layers does not imply that these allegations are true or indicate that major [versus minor] infractions actually occurred--bringing lawyers and taking this type of hearing seriously is all about protecting yourself.
Agreed. Although I'm not sure I follow the story completely. Why would the ymca guys need lawyers at an ncaa hearing? Better yet why the heck would they attend?

It was more about them asking the Syracuse.com mouthbreathers for leads in the comments sections that got to me. Holy , what a Micky Mouse operation that is.
Lol...so true!

hungrychuck said:
I'm with you guys. It still seems weird to me to be asking readers for help, so I'm not claiming any expertise in how to do it.

With a site that gets the amount of views like deadspin, sometimes you might get lucky and a reader might know som stuff... The PS, not so much lol. Maybe they just saw other sites do it, and figured what the heck. I just don't see it working for the PS... They are gonna get a lot of knuckleheads calling them lol

With a site that gets the amount of views like deadspin, sometimes you might get lucky and a reader might know som stuff... The PS, not so much lol. Maybe they just saw other sites do it, and figured what the heck. I just don't see it working for the PS... They are gonna get a lot of knuckleheads calling them lol

Ha ha, yeah, be careful what you wish for.

Right. Kentucky gets World Wide Wes and we get screwed for some guy who works for the DOT. Who said life isn't fair?

We weren't determined to be elite yet by the internet and espn, so our recruiting on connections was lackluster.

I don't think the NCAA has a lot of resources to go looking under rocks. I think unless someone delivers a package to them they won't pursue a lot of rumors. I would have to think that every school (or their boosters) has broken some type of rule. And when I say every school, I mean D-1, D-2 and D-3. Didn't you play Lax somewhere. I'm sure at your school some of the athletes were treated just a little bit different than the general student. I know at Oswego the hockey players and some of the others were.

From my experience the basketball team at Oswego was treated not that differently than commoners(a free meal before games, maybe the coach mentioning meteorology wasn't a great class to take), but it was only a one year experience and maybe that's changed.

Why not put it directly in the article body? Comments section, that's weird.

My first guess was "afterthought", or possibly being suggested to them after the article.

The people complaining about new journalism remind he the British must have felt after we started using non-traditional fighting methods and won the revolutionary war against the greatest power in the world. You evolve or you perish.

unnamed source is writer lingo for I don't have to have actual proof just say from an unnamed source.

The-dude-Approves.jpg