Nebraska fires Scott Frost / hires Matt Rhule | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Nebraska fires Scott Frost / hires Matt Rhule

• Thread starter Deleted member 8116
  • Start date
My son-in-law is an OU fan, his preference would have been that Frost stayed through OU as he would be sure of a victory, now OU may have to earn it.
Do you think it's Frost or the program? He had such great success at UCF. Hard to believe that wouldn't translate even a little to his time at Nebraska. I know it's the big ten and a lot of small school coaches have failed when they moved up in competition, but he was competing with and beating some of the big boys when he was there. Feel bad for him. Seems like a good guy and it's gotta suck getting fired from your dream job.

I know Frost deserves to get fired, but in the larger picture, Nebraska is chasing a return to glory that may not be available to them.
shame-jerry-seinfeld.gif

Do you think it's Frost or the program? He had such great success at UCF. Hard to believe that wouldn't translate even a little to his time at Nebraska. I know it's the big ten and a lot of small school coaches have failed when they moved up in competition, but he was competing with and beating some of the big boys when he was there. Feel bad for him. Seems like a good guy and it's gotta suck getting fired from your dream job.
My opinion, no inside information: He was not ready for the big time. Being at UCF enabled him to play the underdog, though he did not play a big boy schedule, he could act like it. Recruiting left over Florida talent is better than Nebraska talent in a faster football world, especially since UNL no longer has a access to the Texas recruiting grounds. Being in the B1G has stymied UNL, who should have looked south or west instead of mid-west. The combination of the above made for a perfect storm in which a decent coach at the junior level, not yet ready for the senior level, excelled, but could not really step up at a school, though rich in history, lacked fertile recruiting grounds for speed to play today's CFB game.

You can probably get a better perspective from any of the several coaches on the board than from me.

My opinion, no inside information: He was not ready for the big time. Being at UCF enabled him to play the underdog, though he did not play a big boy schedule, he could act like it. Recruiting left over Florida talent is better than Nebraska talent in a faster football world, especially since UNL no longer has a access to the Texas recruiting grounds. Being in the B1G has stymied UNL, who should have looked south or west instead of mid-west. The combination of the above made for a perfect storm in which a decent coach at the junior level, not yet ready for the senior level, excelled, but could not really step up at a school, though rich in history, lacked fertile recruiting grounds for speed to play today's CFB game.

You can probably get a better perspective from any of the several coaches on the board than from me.
I thought, also, that they've struggled ever since recruiting became so internet based. The under the radar recruits they used to get all the time disappeared. Will be interesting to see who they go after next. Hate to say this, but if we have a really successful season, Coach Anea could get some looks.

It's definitely, 100%, Frost. Look at his record in close games. That's not the mark of a program, but a coach

I thought, also, that they've struggled ever since recruiting became so internet based. The under the radar recruits they used to get all the time disappeared. Will be interesting to see who they go after next. Hate to say this, but if we have a really successful season, Coach Anea could get some looks.
One think about Anae is that he is a proven asset. He will not just pack up and leave. He will only do so for something he is willing to do and money is not the sole factor. He proved his abilities at BYU and then at UVA. He could have gone to a lot of other places.

I am not sure he wants a #1 spot, either. He appears to be happy as an OC. These are my observations, others may have insight or inside information that I simply don't have.

One think about Anae is that he is a proven asset. He will not just pack up and leave. He will only do so for something he is willing to do and money is not the sole factor. He proved his abilities at BYU and then at UVA. He could have gone to a lot of other places.

I am not sure he wants a #1 spot, either. He appears to be happy as an OC. These are my observations, others may have insight or inside information that I simply don't have.
Don't sell yourself short. Your observations are legit.

That’s financial malpractice.
No, that's hooking up a program legend by giving him a few extra bucks.
I personally thought UNL and Frost were perfect together, but if anything else this solidifies that they may never get back to where they once were. They still get to cash a large check though, so there's that!

Correct. Anae is quite good and remarkably respected. He’s also 63yo.
He is not in this to be a HC at this stage.

That's my thought, as well. Based on his history, he seems to be a loyal guy and not a hired gun. He's not going to find a nicer guy to work for than Dino.

It was an undefeated season but it was only one winning season in 2 years for Frost. this is what worried me about Dino when we hired him. Flash in the pan seasons at bowling green and directional Illinois..not long program building success. Frost was the same. That said this is what gets the boosters and administrators the green light to hire.

...about Anae...
I read that he really wanted to be named HC at BYU when he was there as AHC/OC/IWR and was upset when he didn't get it. Plus he is an alum. That said, he would not be on Nebraska's short list for HC right now.

Solich was 58-19 and they canned him thinking they could do better.
Yeah and the season they fired him, he was fired after going 9-3, having a top 20 ranking and getting the team to a bowl they eventually won.

That was one of the dumber HC decisions I’ve seen. And then they top it off with doing the same thing to Pelini who was 67-27 there and also was fired after a 9-3 bowl season, a bowl Nebraska ultimately lost. But man they had a guy that was proven, could win with them in the B1G and chasing their tails again fire him for Mike Riley.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom