New 2016 Commit! | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

New 2016 Commit!

I'm excited, but committing after a visit so soon is like the opposite of maturity.
That's an extremely unfair comment to make without knowing the details of the situation. What if JB told him we are offering you and players X, Y, Z as forwards and the first to commit gets the scholarship? There are so many things you don't know about the recruitment that saying something like that comes off as needless bashing of the family. I hope they don't read this message board.

"Tyler moved up from just inside the Top 100 to inside the Top 60 in one season. Moyer is in the same position, will be interesting to see what happens with him.

I was always under the impression that rankings especially as high school freshmen/sophmores can be so far off. You get the occasional jr/senior jumps and fall offs but freshmen sophmores are much more harder to read.

Of course you get your lebrons, dion waiters ect. that people know are going to be good early. But you also get your Tiki Maybens, Jason Boswells ect that don't quite make it as jr/srs. No question Lydon Moyer McCullough, Malachi are easily in the former.

Huge Potential on Moyer the way he goes behind the back at 030, his ability to find others dribbling with his head up especially left handed, the pull up threes, the dunks (very athletic huge wingspan standing dropsteps in traffic), the missed rebound putbacks, and his sliding blocking ability. A Very exciting Commit!

Last edited:
That's an extremely unfair comment to make without knowing the details of the situation. What if JB told him we are offering you and players X, Y, Z as forwards and the first to commit gets the scholarship? There are so many things you don't know about the recruitment that saying something like that comes off as needless bashing of the family. I hope they don't read this message board.

Cool story bro.

Here's how I think it works. The coaches do their best to identify talent. They know the position they want to recruit and the order they need (Center, PF, SF, SG, or PG). Whoever first chooses to accept a scholarship at a given position first gets it. I don't think there's any X, Y, Z calculus. Since the orange need more PFs than SGs, if a scholarship frees up in 2015, I think it will go to Diallo or Bryant before Jones since Jones is considered more a SF. If Diallo accepts the scholarship before Bryant he gets it (even though I doubt he would). Since the coaches want another PF before SF, I think Jones has very little chance to become an Orangeman even though he really wants to play at SU. Based Bryant's mother's comments, I think Bryant is the most likely person to complete the 2015 recruiting class.

I think the most important point I want to make is I think our coaches being able to identify great talent is the key to the Orange success. It's very difficult to envision what a 16 year old player will become. I don't know how they do it. But the Orange coaches seem to be pretty good at identifying and acquiring the talent needed to win games.

Moyers has the physical attributes needed to be a great player which can't be coached. But the kid also has a great head on his shoulders which is a great asset the coaches are looking for in a player. You can't learn how to play a violin unless you are a coachable. I think coach-ability is something our coaches are looking for in our players.

He knows where the camera is.
These videos should be restricted to having only 25% dunks! Any kid who is 6'8" and can't dunk shouldn't have a video anyways. More interested in seeing his shooting touch at any distance. Doesn't have to be 3 pointers, 10 foot shots very important. Also his free throw technique. Throw in some ball handling.

These videos should be restricted to having only 25% dunks! Any kid who is 6'8" and can't dunk shouldn't have a video anyways. More interested in seeing his shooting touch at any distance. Doesn't have to be 3 pointers, 10 foot shots very important. Also his free throw technique. Throw in some ball handling.

I totally agree with your comments. But the dunks do show how aggressive a big can be to the basket which is important.

Lydon's highlight video shows a nice shooting touch. It's going to be interesting to watch his career. I think the shooting part is more difficult than the dunking part.

I am more interested in seeing Chris Mac play this fall. The Orange haven't had a good low post scoring threat since AO. My hope is Chris Mac has the low post moves and talent to be a scoring threat. It's been a long time since AO.

I totally agree with your comments. But the dunks do show how aggressive a big can be to the basket which is important.

Lydon's highlight video shows a nice shooting touch. It's going to be interesting to watch his career. I think the shooting part is more difficult than the dunking part.

I am more interested in seeing Chris Mac play this fall. The Orange haven't had a good low post scoring threat since AO. My hope is Chris Mac has the low post moves and talent to be a scoring threat. It's been a long time since AO.

The Orange haven't had a good low post scoring threat since AO. My hope is Chris Mac has the low post moves and talent to be a scoring threat. It's been a long time since AO.

The Eraser, but I get your drift. The drought has been too long.

The Orange haven't had a good low post scoring threat since AO. My hope is Chris Mac has the low post moves and talent to be a scoring threat. It's been a long time since AO.

I don't think he'll be here long enough to develop them.

CMac is more of an elite athlete with ridiculous speed and coordination for his size. He's very fast down the court (when he wants) and displays excellent balance and hands. He is not however a back to the basket, receive the ball on the blocks guy. I'll suspect we'll see him finish spectacular putback slams and / or hard to finish catches in the lane when the guards find him. To my knowledge he lacks the footwork and fakes to have a formidable post game. Post moves also require some patience and reading the D, something he's not geared for yet IMO.

If pressed to make an animal analogy I'd call him an Ibex.

Do we need to worry about Thad smoothing things over with mom & dad in the next couple years and wooing Matthew back to osu?

Darn darn darn darny darn darn!!!

I should've called Cmac(x) 'Imax' insteac of 'Ibex'...

Do we need to worry about Thad smoothing things over with mom & dad in the next couple years and wooing Matthew back to osu?
I don't know jack about Matta's powers of persuasion, but I'd say No. Once JB gets a guy in the fold, they tend to stay in the fold. Also it sounds like when he set up his own official to OSU when they left both parents walked away giving Ohio State the double barreled bird if you know what I mean. That's not a relationship easily repaired.

Also the kid is flat out in love with SU as evidenced by the near immediate commitment after we got seriously involved. Anything possible, but I'd be a lot less worried about an Ohio State than I would be some other major program like a Kentucky or something down the line.

I haven't ever heard Chris Mc referred to as a low post scorer. The recruitniks can correct me of I'm wrong, but he sounds like more of a big wing/slasher with elite athleticism. Not that he won't score pts in the paint, but if you're looking for back-to-the-basket moves, and regular post-ups, I don't think he's your guy. Especially in the one year he's here.

I haven't ever heard Chris Mc referred to as a low post scorer. The recruitniks can correct me of I'm wrong, but he sounds like more of a big wing/slasher with elite athleticism. Not that he won't score pts in the paint, but if you're looking for back-to-the-basket moves, and regular post-ups, I don't think he's your guy. Especially in the one year he's here.

He's 6'10 230, same height as Obokoh but a little heavier. If Coleman doesn't play I don't think they will have enough guys at the 4/5 spot. Since Chris Mac is the biggest tallest kid on the team I think he will probably play center at points in the season. Especially if Rak gets into foul trouble and Obokoh is not playing well. I don't think we will see TR or BJ playing center.

Is he a legit 6'8? Is he in socks in the pic with MCW? Or is it one of those things where he's 6'6.5 and call him 6'8 "in shoes"
He is a good four to five inches taller than JB in that picture, and JB is around 6' 3" unless JB has shrunk significantly. MCW picture does make it confusing though.

You're correct. If CMac is consistently pulling off post moves like AO this season coming up, then the staff must have worked some kind of magic on him within a few months.

He's 6'10 230, same height as Obokoh but a little heavier. If Coleman doesn't play I don't think they will have enough guys at the 4/5 spot. Since Chris Mac is the biggest tallest kid on the team I think he will probably play center at points in the season. Especially if Rak gets into foul trouble and Obokoh is not playing well. I don't think we will see TR or BJ playing center.

CM getting some minutes at the 5 out of need, and CM being the low post scoring threat you mentioned previously, are two very different things.

From everything I have read, CM does not have the skill set or, more importantly, the desire and personality, to play the 5.

I don't know jack about Matta's powers of persuasion, but I'd say No. Once JB gets a guy in the fold, they tend to stay in the fold. Also it sounds like when he set up his own official to OSU when they left both parents walked away giving Ohio State the double barreled bird if you know what I mean. That's not a relationship easily repaired.

Also the kid is flat out in love with SU as evidenced by the near immediate commitment after we got seriously involved. Anything possible, but I'd be a lot less worried about an Ohio State than I would be some other major program like a Kentucky or something down the line.
Believe it or not, MM is a Michigan fan. That was his first choice, his dream school.

He is a good four to five inches taller than JB in that picture, and JB is around 6' 3" unless JB has shrunk significantly. MCW picture does make it confusing though.

Matthew seems to hold his head low or bend his neck a bit to seem shorter IMO. I agree on the JB picture and I just think the MCW one is a weird angle and he's doing something other than standing straight up. Either way MCW is a legit 6-6 and it looks like he is getting a little more boost from his hair than Matthew is in the pic. I have every confidence that in shoes Matthew measures 6-7 now and will likely be 6-8 or better when he makes it to the hill.

You're correct. If CMac is consistently pulling off post moves like AO this season coming up, then the staff must have worked some kind of magic on him within a few months.

Thanks Francis. Is Donte Greene a decent comparison? More athletic, less skill?

Thanks Francis. Is Donte Greene a decent comparison? More athletic, less skill?
That's not a bad one. Could also add a mixture of Perry Jones from Baylor as well. His pro potential max upside would probably be Chris Bosh.

I hate to be a Debbie Downer but I don't think I've ever been less excited for an elite recruit than I have for Cmac.

Limited basketball skills/elite athlete. Perfect combination to leave after one year without contributing much.

That's not a bad one. Could also add a mixture of Perry Jones from Baylor as well. His pro potential max upside would probably be Chris Bosh.
Don't get me wrong - I am high on this commitment and I like to really like Matthew's potential. I am all for making comparos at the next level, ie, a high school kid being compared to a college kid is OK by me.

But to compare a 90th ranked kid two years away from even being in college to Chris Bosh is getting way ahead of ourselves IMHO.