New Michigan AD Is Advocate For UCONN | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

New Michigan AD Is Advocate For UCONN

Looks like someone touched a nerve with this UConn business - what has been left out of the discussion is the fact that none of the other conferences can add just 1 team - an odd number. They have to add 2 - an even number, and that complicates matters. Now the "Big 12" could add 2 but not the SEC or "Big 10" as they already have 14 and there would be resistance to adding just any 2 to get to 16, which is an unwieldy group of schools anyway. I think ACC scheduling has been tougher with 14 than with 12, don't you? The ACC with 14 + 1 could bring in Texas with a ND deal and then have 14 + 2 but it would still not be a true 16 school conference. The "Big 12" may go back to 12 from their current 10, or the Pac 12 could become the Pac 14, but I don't see any other conference expanding if it means going to a true 16 schools in all sports conference, really.

As far as anyone leaving this conference, the grant of rights lasts until 2027 (it will be renewed and there will ultimately be an ACC cable channel - it will make not lose money for ESPN) and there is the huge exit fee which will go forever. Just 2 years ago, Maryland lost $31.3 million dollars from withheld money yes but that effective amount will only increase with time and conference revenue, which will be up markedly for 2014-2015, likely another $10 million from the $20 million of 2013-2014.

Last edited:
Basketball is a consideration as well .
No actually it is not. Football and TV dollars are the consideration.

The Big Ten took Rutgers which hasn't made the NCAA tournament since probably I was a baby or not born no clue in the 80's when.

Basketball is the cherry on top. It is not a consideration. BB TV ratings for the top non-tournament games can't beat crappy bowl games ratings. No BB is not a consideration.

Looks like someone touched a nerve with this UConn business - what has been left out of the discussion is the fact that none of the other conferences can add just 1 team - an odd number. They have to add 2 - an even number, and that complicates matters. Now the "Big 12" could add 2 but not the SEC or "Big 10" as they already have 14 and there would be resistance to adding just any 2 to get to 16, which is an unwieldy group of schools anyway. I think ACC scheduling has been tougher with 14 than with 12, don't you? The ACC with 14 + 1 could bring in Texas with a ND deal and then have 14 + 2 but it would still not be a true 16 school conference. The "Big 12" may go back to 12 from their current 10, or the Pac 12 could become the Pac 14, but I don't see any other conference expanding if it means going to a true 16 schools in all sports, really.
Scheduling is harder because of 8 game football conference schedules and divisions being mandated.

The ACC can't go to 9 game conference schedules because of Georgia Tech/Clemson/Florida State needing 7 home games and they play SEC rivals and every 3 years Notre Dame. If the conference dumped Notre Dame they could go 9 conference games but they wont dump Notre Dame.

Last I looked UCONN has 4 NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIPS in basketball and Gonzaga has ZERO and Zero final 4 appearances.

They've been passed over already Three times. The most recent they had three titles.

How many basketball titles do they need to get attention?

They've been passed over already Three times. The most recent they had three titles.

How many basketball titles do they need to get attention?
Doc your better than this . He was throwing up a red hearing in Wichita State , who I don't think anyone would compare to UConn.

Nobody in Baahstin gives a rats behind about BC sports. At least you get deranged passion from the UCONN fans.

Not really true. Yes, you get a few passionate Uconn posters that incessantly claim that there is all this passion in CT for Uconn FB, but the facts seem to suggest otherwise.

For all BC's recent challenges, they still have HIGHER average FB fan attendance than Uconn pretty much every year - despite the fact that BC counts butts in the seats (as it is reportedly required to do for the City of Boston) and Uconn counts "tickets distributed" (so they can report an almost 20K attendance for their last game of the 2014 season when the Hartford papers were reporting that little more than 5,200 actually attended the game.)

Boston vs. Hartford? Seriously? LMFAO !

No actually it is not. Football and TV dollars are the consideration.

The Big Ten took Rutgers which hasn't made the NCAA tournament since probably I was a baby or not born no clue in the 80's when.

Basketball is the cherry on top. It is not a consideration. BB TV ratings for the top non-tournament games can't beat crappy bowl games ratings. No BB is not a consideration.

But what about women's bball?

It is funny that UConn fans don't seem to understand that only football matters. It is sad (or cute) that they think women's bball will save them when men's isn't a factor in expansion.

Alsacs said:
No actually it is not. Football and TV dollars are the consideration. The Big Ten took Rutgers which hasn't made the NCAA tournament since probably I was a baby or not born no clue in the 80's when. Basketball is the cherry on top. It is not a consideration. BB TV ratings for the top non-tournament games can't beat crappy bowl games ratings. No BB is not a consideration.

Basketball played a role in SU getting into the ACC. You think it was solely football and TV?

Last edited:
Doc your better than this . He was throwing up a red hearing in Wichita State , who I don't think anyone would compare to UConn.

It's obvious that basketball doesn't matter. Otherwise uconn would already be in a conference. There's been three opportunities to take them. The big ten took...Rutgers.

Damn it dude I promised myself a long time ago I'd never again get tangled up in conference realignment fan fiction.

Basketball player a role in SU getting into the ACC. You think it was solely football and TV?
Hey buddy I really don't want to debate you. You know that I know why we are in the ACC.

Cliffnotes reason the ACC signed a bad TV deal with ESPN and the only way they could renegotiate was to expand. The Big East turned down the ESPN offer of 1 billion dollars for their TV rights. Thus, ESPN gave the ACC the code red and the ACC picked Syracuse/Pitt because 1. They had prior interest in Syracuse and 2. Pitt had academics over West Virginia and UConn sued them. TV WAS THE REASON WE WERE CHOSEN.

Okay please don't respond to me anymore on this.

As I really don't like wasting my time getting frustrated with you.

Not really true. Yes, you get a few passionate Uconn posters that incessantly claim that there is all this passion in CT for Uconn FB, but the facts seem to suggest otherwise.

For all BC's recent challenges, they still have HIGHER average FB fan attendance than Uconn pretty much every year - despite the fact that BC counts butts in the seats (as it is reportedly required to do for the City of Boston) and Uconn counts "tickets distributed" (so they can report an almost 20K attendance for their last game of the 2014 season when the Hartford papers were reporting that little more than 5,200 actually attended the game.)

Boston vs. Hartford? Seriously? LMFAO !
They hang their hats on Coference titles and National Championships , same as here at Syracuse. BC , well it is in a beautiful city. Maybe we could get McGill to join the league

Hey buddy I really don't want to debate you. You know that I know why we are in the ACC.

Okay please don't respond to me anymore on this.

As I really don't like wasting my time getting frustrated with you.
Wow!

They hang their hats on Coference titles and National Championships , same as here at Syracuse. BC , well it is in a beautiful city. Maybe we could get McGill to join the league

Sure, in BB. Unfortunately for them, FB is the driver in collegiate realignment and it is here where they have been decidedly less successful. For all the Uconn posters' bluster, the fact remains they draw less than BC and are decidedly less successful IN THE ONE SPORT THAT MATTERS! They have had FIVE consecutive losing seasons now in FB.

Oh yeah, and again, Hartford vs. Boston.

Alsacs said:
Hey buddy I really don't want to debate you. You know that I know why we are in the ACC. Cliffnotes reason the ACC signed a bad TV deal with ESPN and the only way they could renegotiate was to expand. The Big East turned down the ESPN offer of 1 billion dollars for their TV rights. Thus, ESPN gave the ACC the code red and the ACC picked Syracuse/Pitt because 1. They had prior interest in Syracuse and 2. Pitt had academics over West Virginia and UConn sued them. TV WAS THE REASON WE WERE CHOSEN. Okay please don't respond to me anymore on this. As I really don't like wasting my time getting frustrated with you.

My apologies, I forgot nobody can have a different opinion or thought than you. Your replies are all the same when somebody responds to you not agreeing 100%.

Sure, in BB. Unfortunately for them, FB is the driver in collegiate realignment and it is here where they have been decidedly less successful. For all the Uconn posters' bluster, the fact remains they draw less than BC and are decidedly less successful IN THE ONE SPORT THAT MATTERS! They have had FIVE consecutive losing seasons now in FB.

Oh yeah, and again, Hartford vs. Boston.
I was glad to see BC playing them in football and SU.

My apologies, I forgot nobody can have a different opinion or thought than you. Your replies are all the same when somebody responds to you not agreeing 100%.
I have no problem with different opinions. You don't give opinions that often you look to stir the pot without saying what you think. I don't particularly care for that. My replies are the same when people want to come at me and not what I am talking about.
I know you knew that I know what I was talking about. That signals to me you are coming at me just because and I have no time for that.
Give an opinion and atleast it can be debated. You are really good at finding stuff you disagree with and never giving an opinion on it.
When it becomes about arguing the person and not the point I have no interest and will just behave the same way.
As I state often if I could block I would.

images

If you think that UNC-UVA do not now have, and for many years past have not had, permanently renewable offers to join both the SEC and the Big Boring Ten, then you are out of the loop. Both of us could have been in either of those monstrosities any time we wanted.

So no ruining of the Bevo 12 by the BBT can lead to the SEC getting what it would like from the ACC. The BBT taking KU and OU would open up Texas to taking an ND type deal with the ACC to avoid feeling a need to go SEC.

Conferences are as stable as their core members/most important members are loyal. Even the BT would face a major crisis if Ohio State were to suddenly decide that it wants to test itself against SEC football. OSU leaving the BT would cause Penn St to look very closely at joining the ACC. Nebraska would have the worst case of conference buyer's regret in history and use its connections to KU and OU to explore returning to the Big 12.

UConn fans would cheer for all that, because that is how UConn would get a BT invite.

So maybe that ought to be the starting point for your fixation on UConn.

That clown clay Travis was selling unc to the big 10 hard a few years ago

I have no problem with different opinions. You don't give opinions that often you look to stir the pot without saying what you think. I don't particularly care for that. My replies are the same when people want to come at me and not what I am talking about.
I know you knew that I know what I was talking about. That signals to me you are coming at me just because and I have no time for that.
Give an opinion and atleast it can be debated. You are really good at finding stuff you disagree with and never giving an opinion on it.
When it becomes about arguing the person and not the point I have no interest and will just behave the same way.
As I state often if I could block I would.

There's a kill screen coming up if anyone's interested...

hqdefault.jpg

I was glad to see BC playing them in football and SU.

Yeah, it was time to resume playing them. The only thing I worry about is the return trip to the Rent in 2017. I was at BC's only game played there in 2003 and it was absolutely scary for BC fans. What many don't understand was that experience, besides all the realignment politics, played a role in delaying the resumption of this series. If something similar occurs in 2017, this series resumption will be short lived. Hopefully, they will have a better handle on security this time.

Alsacs said:
I have no problem with different opinions. You don't give opinions that often you look to stir the pot without saying what you think. I don't particularly care for that. My replies are the same when people want to come at me and not what I am talking about. I know you knew that I know what I was talking about. That signals to me you are coming at me just because and I have no time for that. Give an opinion and atleast it can be debated. You are really good at finding stuff you disagree with and never giving an opinion on it. When it becomes about arguing the person and not the point I have no interest and will just behave the same way. As I state often if I could block I would.

I simply said bball played a role with SU and the ACC. If it was just football or tv market it may not have happened. It also helped that we have friends in the ACC who backed us. And I was arguing a point. A point that said bball plays no role. You just like to take many posts personally.

I simply said bball played a role with SU and the ACC. If it was just football or tv market it may not have happened. It also helped that we have friends in the ACC who backed us. And I was arguing a point. A point that said bball plays no role. You just like to take many posts personally.
Basketball played a major role in Syracuse getting in the ACC. The northeast is the great oddity in the country in that college basketball is the full equal of college football. If you are going to have the most influence in TV markets in the northeast, you must have basketball than northeasterners take seriously. Syracuse has the largest basketball fan base in the region, and there is no close second. Therefore, Syracuse is essential for a conference wanting to be primary in the northeast.

Also, ND football is the biggest name in football to the northeast. For any conference to have any shot at controlling the northeast, it must have both Syracuse and ND football. That ought to help anyone see that the BT wanting perennial nobody Rutgers and financially ed Maryland, whose football team averaged fewer fans per game its last year in the ACC than did 2-10 BC, was a move of desperation to try to save some part of the northeast for Penn St and the BT.

Yeah, it was time to resume playing them. The only thing I worry about is the return trip to the Rent in 2017. I was at BC's only game played there in 2003 and it was absolutely scary for BC fans. What many don't understand was that experience, besides all the realignment politics, played a role in delaying the resumption of this series. If something similar occurs in 2017, this series resumption will be short lived. Hopefully, they will have a better handle on security this time.
Swamp Yankees can be as poorly behaved as West Virginia mountain grills. So maybe UConn does belong in the Big 12.

That clown clay Travis was selling unc to the big 10 hard a few years ago
He is a TN native and UT Vol fan (though I think a Vandy grad) who was more interested in the NFL than any college football but the SEC. He knows zilch about UNC or the ACC. He is stupid enough to think that UVA, which is less than half the size of any of the BT's 13 state schools, would want to follow Maryland, which UVA people have always seen as an extra-large school full of UVA, UNC, and Dook rejects and thus socially and academically inferior.