New QB Coach Kirk Martin (TX) | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

New QB Coach Kirk Martin (TX)

It's difficult for me to end a discussion when other people are employing faulty logic or using false facts. I personally think Dino would be looked at as a "rock star" in Texas.
Hmmm, everyone else is using faulty logic, but you never do. Got it.

Hmmm, everyone else is using faulty logic, but you never do. Got it.
Since they don't understand the scheduling requirements of teams in P5 conferences and then attack me because I suggested playing TTECH as it is a weak P5 and is one of the very few with an open spot in 2021. Yes, or just arrogant stupidity.

The business of Texas high school football is far, far more profitable and carries more weight of community inspiration, visibility and espirit de corps than most other medium or small business enterprises here in Texas or in many other states.

The Manvel ISD football program or probably any other Class 5A or 6A Texas football program would arguably all by itself fund the athletic departments of all the OHSL large high school sport budgets combined.

As an Associate AD and long term head coach of a largely visible and successful Houston metro area high school ‘enterprise’, I can assure you that this man not only carried a great weight of responsibility in a very public fishbowl where his every move was heavily scrutinized, but I am very certain that the Manvel football program would agree that Coach Martin was worth every penny and probably underpaid down here, especially given the respect of his name and the success of his tenure.

If the Texas high school football programs were a public dividend stock they would be among the most widely held, profitable and endearing companies to hold down here. The money paid to the coaches is almost an afterthought. Many people in Texas love their local football than the Cowboys, the Texans or even (gasp) the mighty SEC.

The culture and dynamic is an amazing paradigm shift from where I grew up between the JD and WG areas in Onondaga County. I can appreciate the way people think in Texas, but I still would not trade my love for CNY and my hometown culture. It is just that a talented and organized football coach and teacher would carry more weight as a career alternative than I would ever have believed growing up in CNY.

In conclusion and without a whisper of reservation, I can assure all our fans that we are very fortunate to have a coach of this magnitude come to Syracuse. Of course while there may be some recruiting rules to be more familiar with from the college level, I am certain that the scale of going from Texas high school football to the P5 and the ACC is NOT at all intimidating to him and in many ways much easier going from an AD/coach responsibility in Manvel ISD to a position coach at Syracuse University Football.

Dino believes in ‘Orange is the New Fast’ and loves our school so much that he obviously does not hesitate to bring his family along for the ride with his new family at Syracuse. I would expect that Mr. Martin will do great work for us both in recruiting Texas and coaching our team. He brings massive credibility with him from Texas. I am so glad that Mr. Martin has received the Orange vision for our future and believed Coach Babers good report!

I realize NY football is a hole different monster than many the power states . My HS coach was my health teacher ( mind you it was in the 80's) i'd bet both incomes did not equal his . Just made me laugh .

Since they don't understand the scheduling requirements of teams in P5 conferences and then attack me because I suggested playing TTECH as it is a weak P5 and is one of the very few with an open spot in 2021. Yes, or just arrogant stupidity.
I realized Cuse needed a P5...I just thought if Cuse is to play in TX...play a G5 team near a population center. I'd rather look at Army or an east coast based P5 team to replace Wisky. If the ACC recognizes more AAC teams as P5 equivalent it will help... we'll see if that happens.

BL: cause we wait too long...we get stuck with choices like Texas Tech in a panic.

Absolutely. I get. These long time contributors that are spot on about most of what they say need to get a clue.

That's why I think their a good P5 opponent for the Orange, they're the weakest P5 team in Texas.. I'm not saying a win over them would be some huge thing, I'm just saying in a state where football is a religion, it would be duly noted. Maybe people on the board would believe you if you told them the scheduling requirements agreed to by the P5 conferences as it seems many here don't understand that and attacking my suggestion of TTECH because I can see SU doesn't have many options for 2020 and 2021.

I live outside Houston. Nobody cares about TTech unless they graduated from there. The list of influence* is:

Texas
Texas A&M
Oklahoma
LSU
Houston
Baylor
TTU
OkieState
Arkansas
TCU
Rice
Sam Houston
UTSA
TTech

People around here simply don't care about TTech. Name teams carry more weight. Hot teams carry more weight.

There is no tangible benefit to play TTech beyond the fact they are a P5 team.

* This is my opinion from people I know. Other areas will rearrange the order but TTech ends up near the bottom.

Have to imagine Martin’s (first-year coach out of high school) hire might free up money to give everyone on the staff a small bump.

This reminds me a bit of the time Pasqualoni hired Steve Addazio, at that time a highly successful high school coach.

George O’Leary did pretty well too.

I live outside Houston. Nobody cares about TTech unless they graduated from there. The list of influence* is:

Texas
Texas A&M
Oklahoma
LSU
Houston
Baylor
TTU
OkieState
Arkansas
TCU
Rice
Sam Houston
UTSA
TTech

People around here simply don't care about TTech. Name teams carry more weight. Hot teams carry more weight.

* This is my opinion from people I know. Other areas will rearrange the order but TTech ends up near the bottom.
Syracuse should try to schedule near the bottom of P5 conference opponents as that is their current relegation. Here are 2 from each of the other 4 P5 conferences that I believe are the bottom 2 in each conference: SEC, Vandy-UK, B1G, Rutgers-llinois, PAC12, Oregon St-Wash St, Big12, Kansas-TTECH. THE END.

Syracuse should try to schedule near the bottom of P5 conference opponents as that is their current relegation. Here are 2 from each of the other 4 P5 conferences that I believe are the bottom 2 in each conference: SEC, Vandy-UK, B1G, Rutgers-llinois, PAC12, Oregon St-Wash St, Big12, Kansas-TTECH. THE END.
So WSU has a better conference and overall record than 7 teams in their conference, Kentucky finishes solidly mid pack in the SEC two years in a row, and both have had winning records the last few years and they're the worst in their conferences?

Texas
Texas A&M
Oklahoma
LSU
Houston
Baylor
TTU
OkieState
Arkansas
TCU
Rice
Sam Houston
UTSA
TTech

I would agree with most of this but would put LSU ahead of Oklahoma.

Honestly, I don't want you to be mad at me. Just tell me a P5 team that has an opening for another P5 opponent in 2020 or 2021. I will wait.
Actually, now that I think of it, we can play Rutgers both of those years! I bet it happens.;)

Actually, now that I think of it, we can play Rutgers both of those years! I bet it happens.;)

I think you might be right! I'd almost bet on it :)

I would agree with most of this but would put LSU ahead of Oklahoma.

Fair enough. It may be my son-in-law's influence on me, he's a die hard Sooner fan. LSU has plenty of support around Houston.

I'm thrilled with that. There was another thread a while back, maybe in the Rutgers Dumpster thread, where I was assaulted with the same tenacity for saying we should play Rutgers as a rival. And now it's a good thing. No hard feelings mate.

I'm thrilled with that. There was another thread a while back, maybe in the Rutgers Dumpster thread, where I was assaulted with the same tenacity for saying we should play Rutgers as a rival. And now it's a good thing. No hard feelings mate.
Why would there be hard feelings?

Lots of nice indirect comments about our new coach in this article. Does this WR have any relation to Majestic and Scientific Mapp?

Love a Majestic Mapp reference.

Random, insignificant note on Majestic... the kid was a stud before knee injuries ruined his career. He’s a NYC kid. We played together at a NYS all-star game at the NYS Fair our season years. Majestic was easily the best player there. I remember coaches (probably illegally ) coming upstairs to visit with him in the building they had us holed up that week ( I think it was usually a chicken coup).

Thst is all

Considering Martin is a Texas lifer, Dino's in-law and has never coached on the college level, this strikes me as the type of move a head coach makes if he plans on sticking around for a while.

Good call!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
purelytd

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom