New QB Coach Kirk Martin (TX) | Page 8 | Syracusefan.com

New QB Coach Kirk Martin (TX)

After all the badgering I got, it turns out Martin is from west Texas. I'm sure he's happy to know how a lot of people here think about where he grew up.

After all the badgering I got, it turns out Martin is from west Texas. I'm sure he's happy to know how a lot of people here think about where he grew up.
He has surely heard worse...we said it was in the middle of nowhere and not near the recruits. It is the truth. West Texas has a stark beauty to it and I loved visiting it...but playing Rutgers>>>Texas Tech.

Why hasn't there been an announcement?

I don't know if this is the only reason but Dino (and the staff) have been out on the road a lot lately, meeting recruits and coaches.

He has surely heard worse...we said it was in the middle of nowhere and not near the recruits. It is the truth. West Texas has a stark beauty to it and I loved visiting it...but playing Rutgers>>>Texas Tech.
everyone I know from West Texas makes fun of living in West Texas. It's part of the territory.

I think it's good to be playing Rutgers. But really what's worse, the middle of nowhere or the middle of New Jersey?

That’s a lot of money?
For a side gig? Yes, yes it is. For comparison the high school FB coach at my high school, the largest in Virginia is making about $7,000 as the FB coach. He gets his teachers salary on top of that. But if Martin was getting 100k just to coach, yes that is a metric crap ton of money when most coaches across the country aren’t getting even 1/10th of that to be just the FB coach

For a side gig? Yes, yes it is. For comparison the high school FB coach at my high school, the largest in Virginia is making about $7,000 as the FB coach. He gets his teachers salary on top of that. But if Martin was getting 100k just to coach, yes that is a metric crap ton of money when most coaches across the country aren’t getting even 1/10th of that to be just the FB coach
I don’t think they’re side gigs there

Exactly

Auburn teachers are mid 60s after a couple years, and most are in the 70-90 range.

Some make north of 100k

Teachers are not poorly paid.

They take a lot of crap and deal with some real spithead kids and parents, but so do COs and cops

For what it's worth. I was at a New Jersey Beach a few years ago and the parking lot attendant saw my SU hat and started a conversation. Mostly he complained about GRob and Mike Miele. He went on to give me his life's story. He is an assistant football coach and makes $90,000 including what the town pays him to be the parking lot attendant. Now this is New Jersey where the municipal employees load up on the pension plan. If he was not the assistant football coach he wouldn't have been hired as a teacher at the school.

For what it's worth. I was at a New Jersey Beach a few years ago and the parking lot attendant saw my SU hat and started a conversation. Mostly he complained about GRob and Mike Miele. He went on to give me his life's story. He is an assistant football coach and makes $90,000 including what the town pays him to be the parking lot attendant. Now this is New Jersey where the municipal employees load up on the pension plan. If he was not the assistant football coach he wouldn't have been hired as a teacher at the school.
Cost of living plays a part in wages too

Dino is a HUGE Game Of Thrones fan, and he's learned from it.

He's marrying off his daughters to build alliances in other regions, and reinforce his hold on Winterfell, as King In The North.
:cool:

Would that make Kirk Martin’s son Geoffrey Baratheon or Ramsey Bolton?!??

:vomit:

Considering Martin is a Texas lifer, Dino's in-law and has never coached on the college level, this strikes me as the type of move a head coach makes if he plans on sticking around for a while.
Interesting point. Hope you're right!

I think it's good to be playing Rutgers. But really what's worse, the middle of nowhere or the middle of New Jersey?
This reminds me of a quote from 1978 Superman where mission control is corrected about the coordinates of an incoming ICBM attack:

- “actually sir it looks like it’s headed for New Jersey.”
- senator: “New Jersey? What the h—- is in New Jersey?”
...and everyone stares blankly at each other trying to come up with an answer.

Last edited:
Doug Pederson, the head coach of the Super Bowl Champion Philadelphia Eagles started his coaching career at a private Christian high school in Shreveport, LA. He left to be offensive quality control coach with the Eagles under Andy Reid. He went with Reid to K as offensive coordinator.
Seems to me that, if a high school coach can go directly to the NFL and reach the pinnacle of the profession a similar move to college football is not a stretch.

Note; Maybe I should have posted this on the Kirk Martin thread so, if the admins want to move it, that's fine.

Doug Pederson, the head coach of the Super Bowl Champion Philadelphia Eagles started his coaching career at a private Christian high school in Shreveport, LA. He left to be offensive quality control coach with the Eagles under Andy Reid. He went with Reid to K as offensive coordinator.
Seems to me that, if a high school coach can go directly to the NFL and reach the pinnacle of the profession a similar move to college football is not a stretch.

Note; Maybe I should have posted this on the Kirk Martin thread so, if the admins want to move it, that's fine.
I have seen that happen before. Gary St Jean was a local high school basketball coach. He went right from there to the NBA as an ass't with Don Nelson. And my schools arch rival was coached by Charley Casserly. he left to become a scout (non paying) for George Allen with the Redskins. He went on to become their G.M. no other experience really than being a high school coach for Minnechaug high

The difference is that he is a former NFL player that had a relationship with Reid. I believe Reid took him to Philly specifically to tutor McNabb his rookie year. His football acumen was a known quantity.

Briles and Malzahn are probably better examples of why we shouldn't be surprised with the success of guys that now jump from high school to college.

He was an NFL QB for years in the late 90s an early 2000’s backing up McNabb and playing for Reid. He didn’t just jump, Reid knew him well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RDembowski

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom