New Uniforms Truly Horrible | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

New Uniforms Truly Horrible

"Syracuse head coach Scott Shafer spoke at the event at Destiny and discussed the enthusiasm Syracuse recruits displayed when the coaching staff showed them some pictures of what the new uniforms could look like during visits, joking that he got commitments on the spot as a result."

That's enough for me.

If you think that is how we got the recruits to come to Syracuse University, you're probably not being realistic.

Alabama and USC are as traditional as it gets and they seem to recruit very well.

Players liked these. It doesn't make it right.

UM_MSU_Kovacs.jpg

Still looks like Michigan.

And the classic helmet remains.

How do you feel the Michigan fan base would react to all white helmets?

Ugly.

Awful.

Ridiculous.

Sorry, but I find it hard to believe that this kind of ugliness attracts talent.

The indoor facility will attract talent. Enhanced locker rooms will attract talent. Continued participation in the ACC will attract talent. Bowl appearances will attract talent.

Yuck, yuck, and yuck.
I wonder what they will look like after being vomited on by a fan near the tunnel who sees them for the first time.

Cuseregular said:
well us grumpy old men are the ones with the $. Keep turning us off and watch as we fade away into SU fans from a distance and spend less up there. I know I'm already there as I guess an old man at 50 because these unis are beyond suck. Beyond

I really hate this type of response. So if I like the unis but hated the old? And I decided to drop my tix because they didn't change the unis my money is not a factor? My ass in seat wouldn't be missed?

Us middle-aged guys are spending a lot of money too. Somehow you're better than us who might like or be indifferent to the new unis?

Like them or not, we are a fan base that includes a lot of different types. Root for the program not the wear.

If you think that is how we got the recruits to come to Syracuse University, you're probably not being realistic.

Alabama and USC are as traditional as it gets and they seem to recruit very well.
u seriously think we are like those programs? and I bet u that these prominent programs might have lost some kids to teams like Oregon or any team that has a flashy look or flashy style of play

Acutally the old uni's were ugly. the old school strips down the middle is outdated. these new ones bring swag. Thats a word that some of you wont understand but the new generation thrives on it. It is truly funny how the reception from the younger generation on twitter and all is the total opposite on this forum. Man we are getting old. BTW the numbers are not that bad. A little too jazzy but not that bad.

I agree. Stripes are so dated. Needs more swag.

uab-football-team.jpg

penn-state-football.jpg

BCIRCNNVAYMBTLG.20120110060825.jpg

130507182752-ohio-state-top1-single-image-cut.jpg

Acutally the old uni's were ugly. the old school strips down the middle is outdated. these new ones bring swag. Thats a word that some of you wont understand but the new generation thrives on it. It is truly funny how the reception from the younger generation on twitter and all is the total opposite on this forum. Man we are getting old. BTW the numbers are not that bad. A little too jazzy but not that bad.

spot on.

u seriously think we are like those programs? and I bet u that these prominent programs might have lost some kids to teams like Oregon or any team that has a flashy look or flashy style of play

We are more like those programs than you think.

Oregon built a program on the basis of a tremendous financial investment.

The uniforms are a by-product of the spending.

I like the distinct difference in the number font compared to other new Nike uniforms rolled out for this year.

Is Shafer really going to say we showed these mock-ups to recruits and they laughed? I know kids like swag and they different options are what they are looking at- more gear for them. Some of the combinations work well- all Blue is terrible and I don't care if the team likes the look.

Just because I don't match my baseball hats to my sneakers every day and think Outkast is better than 2Chainz doesn't mean my opinion is pointless. SU lacrosse is a great example of how you can mix in new looks with plenty of swag yet still maintain a tradition/brand.

SU would have been wise to have shown the orange jerseys and had mannequins at Destiny showing all the possible combinations- that would have changed perception drastically...but it's DG's tradition to half-ass even the good ideas.

I like them and all the different combinations we can have from them. I like that there is an all orange one also.

These uniforms are the new branding. Kid who are 10 years old now will know this look 10 years from now. We all better get use to it.

Do you honestly think we wear these unis for the next 10 years?

I bet we have new unis in three years.

I'm not even sure we'll still be in the ACC in 10 years.

Kind of like Oregon right?

Great photos.

Perhaps the most attractive uniforms in college football.

And they don't need the Nike BS and they don't hurt recruiting or success on the field.

The "they attract players" line is BS - just an excuse to be "chic."
you can seriously count on your fingers how many teams still have the same uniforms from 20 years ago. These teams represents a very very small percentage of college football uniforms

Last edited:
Great photos.

Perhaps the most attractive uniforms in college football.

And they don't need the Nike BS and they don't hurt recruiting or success on the field.

The "they attract players" line is BS - just an excuse to be "chic."

Come on, we all know you can't build a program if you're not a blueblood without being chic. Just look what Maryland, UConn, and Rutgers have all accomplished since they went with cool new jerseys that recruits love.

football_rev_engines.jpg

John-Clay.jpg

512x.jpg

17iv9gfx6t4vwjpg.jpg

clemson-football-vs-uga_dp_2013-7383.jpg

Do you honestly think we wear these unis for the next 10 years?

I bet we have new unis in three years.

I'm not even sure we'll still be in the ACC in 10 years.
lol. I wasnt saying we are wearing these for ten years. What Im saying is kids who are young are looking at these new uniforms now, this is how they see syracuse football in their eyes. They are not going to remember what McNabb's teams wore. When I was young I remember how Don McPherson and them looked and that look stuck with me till this day.

Last edited:
Cuse just tweeted out a pic of the Orange version.
0ba21ff4c5a211e3be850002c9e01ff4_8.jpg
By adding the Virginia Tech maroon accent, they completely wrecked these as well. Did anyone do any research at all before designing these?

I will give props for the helmet designs, which look good, excepting the duct tape abomination.

I also want to give them credit for not including the Penn State uniform as an option as well. They missed a golden opportunity with the all white uniforms...if they did them with dark blue, they could have really done their job well.

The all duct tape unis are going to be endorsed by AARP, who will sponsor Senior Day at the Dome the first game the team wears that flavor. My understanding is that, armed with these senior friendly uniforms, we are going to go after the older crowd market aggressively, with the long term goal of becoming known as Syracuse, Grandpa's Team. The great thing about targeting seniors is that a lot of them forget they already donated and do it again and again and again. We finally have a reason to root for Alzheimer's.

When is the next re-design? Next month, I hope.

Last edited: