NEWSFLASH TO THE SYRACUSE MEDIA WHO READ THIS SITE SOMEBODY ASK GROSS ABOUT METLIFE DEAL | Page 14 | Syracusefan.com

NEWSFLASH TO THE SYRACUSE MEDIA WHO READ THIS SITE SOMEBODY ASK GROSS ABOUT METLIFE DEAL

Never said that.

Well then at best you need to take a percentage of the loss, not the whole thing. It makes a difference if you're saying the trip to NYC costs us a bowl game. I respect your opinion but I really can't help but feel this is much ado about nothing. big team on a big stage in a big city. I struggle to find the downside of that.

rrlbees said:
Of course he said that in public. What I was repeating is what he said in a private setting. I bet he would have much rather played that game in the Dome, like it was scheduled. Guarantee it.
So he's a fake one way or another. Same as Shafer. And Gross. Only this board holds the truth.

yeah like I said, SOME neutral site games. not your biggest game every single year indefinitely
The biggest games this year (FSU) and next year (LSU) are at the Dome.

Todd Gack said:
So he's a fake one way or another. Same as Shafer. And Gross. Only this board holds the truth.

If you don't know that there are things such as coach speak or party line or playing to the public, then I don't know what to tell you.

And what he said to me wasn't about a particular game. Figured you realized that.

rrlbees said:
If you don't know that there are things such as coach speak or party line or playing to the public, then I don't know what to tell you. And what he said to me wasn't about a particular game. Figured you realized that.
Yeah, I get all that -- I watch non-SU sports too. But it takes a particular bit of hubris to think Marrone wasn't playing you.

Todd Gack said:
Yeah, I get all that -- I watch non-SU sports too. But it takes a particular bit of hubris to think Marrone wasn't playing you.

He wasn't playing any of us. There were 3-4 there. There was absolutely no games being played when he said he had to win and fill the seats. In fact, he's a prophet. Because he also said if he didn't do those 2 things, he'd leave before the 5 years.

TheCusian said:
"Win and put fannies in the seats*" * at MetLife

Well so far, we are 0-2 in this 14 game thing. As to seats, we don't do that either.

rrlbees said:
He wasn't playing any of us. There were 3-4 there. There was absolutely no games being played when he said he had to win and fill the seats. In fact, he's a prophet. Because he also said if he didn't do those 2 things, he'd leave before the 5 years.
So his distaste for the MetLife games never came up? From someone who thought it put him at such a disadvantage?

Last edited:
Todd Gack said:
So his distaste for the MetLife games never came up? From someone who thought it put him at such a disadvantage?

LOL.

rrlbees said:
Well so far, we are 0-2 in this 14 game thing. As to seats, we don't do that either.

We were close last season.

The players get to play in an NFL stadium and for most it may be the only time. Twice ND has to come into a Syracuse territory and once to the South Bend...I see this as a good thing while adding a lot of National exposure.

Why does he have to answer those questions?
Why does he need to answer those questions? People pay money to support this program. If Gross can't tell people where future Metlife commitments will come from what is to stop him from agreeing to more road/Metlife agreements.

If you don't hold your leaders accountable things get out of whack and you can't complain. I mean the respnses I get in this thread are basically shut up and don't worry about it. Gross should answer where he believes the games will come from. The agreement was stupid in 2011 and he has done nothing to say Syracuse will either withdraw or continue the 10 game commitment.

Why hasn't Gross answered that? It is not hard and the fact people are saying who cares drive me crazy. The questions are legit.

MAybe I'm crazy but I like the idea of playing PSU in front of a huge crowd. Same thing for ND. I think it's cool.
If that is how you feel then Dr. Gross should sign Syracuse up every year to be paycheck opponent for Ohio State, Florida, Alabama, Texas, Texas A&M, Michigan because those teams play in 95k+ stadiums and would gladly pay Syracuse a million dollars without having to play a return game.

People defending this deal just want to make the best of a bad situation. I want consistency. Gross has skated on this issue we don't need paycheck games for football now that our TV money on annual basis has gone from 3 million a year to 16 million dollars a year minimally.

Why does he need to answer those questions? People pay money to support this program. If Gross can't tell people where future Metlife commitments will come from what is to stop him from agreeing to more road/Metlife agreements.

People do pay money - here and in NY. Does the local money count for more than alum money in NY? Losing one home game vs a marquee opponent was a big deal when we lacked marquee opponents - but now? With FSU and Clemson flip flopping every other year? I get that you think because you're supporting the team that that makes you entitled to a big home game - but c'mon - it's DG's job to make money and get exposure for out teams...

Why shouldn't he make more Metlife agreements?! If the money is even close to what's been reported here, he'd be negligent not to.

If you don't hold your leaders accountable things get out of whack and you can't complain. I mean the respnses I get in this thread are basically shut up and don't worry about it. Gross should answer where he believes the games will come from. The agreement was stupid in 2011 and he has done nothing to say Syracuse will either withdraw or continue the 10 game commitment.

Stupid by your measure. Without the financial numbers in front of you - you simply cannot make that statement. You and I don't have all the facts. I'm all for holding him accountable - it just seems like the crusade you're on doesn't match the "crime."

"Where the games will come from" - why on earth does this matter? If we're bringing LSU to the dome, do you honestly think he's on some sort of vendetta against the local fan?! The answer is this: There will be a marquee team that we face at MetLife in the future. That same season, we will play a marquee team in the dome. It's a fair trade off (again: money and exposure).

Why hasn't Gross answered that? It is not hard and the fact people are saying who cares drive me crazy. The questions are legit.

Maybe he doesn't know or can't answer that yet (in negotiations)?! The questions are legit. And you are being driven crazy by them. But the truth is that the athletic department shares the what we need to know when they want to share it. They are not senators or public servants - they are business guys running a business.

If that is how you feel then Dr. Gross should sign Syracuse up every year to be paycheck opponent for Ohio State, Florida, Alabama, Texas, Texas A&M, Michigan because those teams play in 95k+ stadiums and would gladly pay Syracuse a million dollars without having to play a return game.

People defending this deal just want to make the best of a bad situation. I want consistency. Gross has skated on this issue we don't need paycheck games for football now that our TV money on annual basis has gone from 3 million a year to 16 million dollars a year minimally.
now that they give me a pizza for free, i want the cheesy bread too.

you dont stop the money grab just because the money you now make is better than it was last year.

thats not good practice or good business.

and a lot of you havnt been paying attention, the priority is dressing the cattle properly.

but no longer can we even do that.

Now you want to play on the road?! For less money (we think)!?

People defending this deal understand that you need to make tradeoffs to get to where you want to go. The "now that we have ACC money, we don't need more money" argument is lame. We need the money - obviously - or the rumors of money and budget issues wouldn't have surfaced 6 months ago.

This thread needs to be taken out back and put out of it's misery...There is a GAME tomorrow! That's all that matters to me. My team is playing tomorrow and I'm excited about it. I have season tickets and I'll be there and I'll actually be happy about it. Hopefully it'll be a win but if not, I'm sure I'll still have a good time.

Now you want to play on the road?! For less money (we think)!?

People defending this deal understand that you need to make tradeoffs to get to where you want to go. The "now that we have ACC money, we don't need more money" argument is lame. We need the money - obviously - or the rumors of money and budget issues wouldn't have surfaced 6 months ago.
I was responding to the point the poster said he wants to see Syracuse play in front of 61k crowds. If we want big time atmospheres then we should play road games for money. I don't want that, but if people want to see Metlife is great because of the attendance they are college stadiums with way higher attendance than 61k in an 82.5k stadium.

"Moved" is the key word, and I'm not sure how accurate it is. To this point the only game that was literally moved was USC, and I didn't like that much at all to be quite honest. Everything else, be it last year's Penn State game, this weekend's ND game, or any of the 10 potential games starting in 2019, were intended to be at MetLife. Would those same opponents come to the Dome? Maybe, who knows? But the intent is MetLife, that's how SU would presumably be pitching it to potential opponents, so I would hesitate to use the word "moved".

LSU agreed to come to Syracuse. But if we were to play, say, Alabama in 2019 at MetLife, it's not clear that they would have just come to Syracuse instead. MetLife may be a tool to play a broader range of attractive OOC opponents.

Let's not forget, it's not just LSU that agreed to come to the Done. So did Auburn and so did Notre Dame - in recent times, not back in the 80s or 90s. We've hosted tons of great programs in the Dome. There's no reason to think that cannot continue.

Want to make the best of a bad situation? Not me -- I'm fired up to head to NYC tonight. My whole point is that I LIKE that we're playing there and I like that we're playing a tough opponent. I also love that it'll be outdoors and that there's huge lots to tailgate. And yes, I would have zero problem with a deal where we played at OSU or whomever at their place and in NYC.

The players get to play in an NFL stadium and for most it may be the only time. Twice ND has to come into a Syracuse territory and once to the South Bend...I see this as a good thing while adding a lot of National exposure.
You see this message is why I get disappointed. Have you read what I have posted SmilinBob?
ND-ACC agreed to 60 games over 12 years 2014-2026.
There are 14 ACC teasm. 60/14= 4 with a remainder of 4.
Each of the 14 ACC teams will get 2 ND games at home and each team will visit ND or play a game wherever ND wants 2 times.
4 teams will play ND a 5th time. 2 of those 4 will get ND at home for a 3rd time and 2 of those 4 will visit ND a 3rd time.

Syracuse is using its 2 "home" games and are playing in them in the first 3 years at Metlife Stadium in 2014 and 2016. We will visit South Bend or play an ND Shamrock game 2 times between 2017-2026.

We aren't making off good against ND instead ND is making off really well instead of playing true road games they are getting psuedo home games and people make it like we won't have to play in South Bend when the facts prove otherwise.

We are banking on 1 in 7 chance Syracuse will ever play Notre Dame in Syracuse before 2026.

Last edited: