NEWSFLASH TO THE SYRACUSE MEDIA WHO READ THIS SITE SOMEBODY ASK GROSS ABOUT METLIFE DEAL | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

NEWSFLASH TO THE SYRACUSE MEDIA WHO READ THIS SITE SOMEBODY ASK GROSS ABOUT METLIFE DEAL

Well, the ESPN station is basically a SU controlled outlet at this point. I don't get to listen to 1260 in the morning, so I don't know if the new guy will take on this issue so that leaves syracuse.com outside of Axe.

Everything is always about $$$. Clearly Syracuse stands to make more money from any game at MetLife than it would in Syracuse. If not, then the game would be in Syracuse.
You hit the nail on the head. Axe said that SU gets $5 million to play Notre Dame at Met Life this year. We all complain about attendance and the last time we played Notre Dame and Penn State in the Dome we could not sell out the games (even though the visitors sold 10,000+ tickets). I have had football season tickets for 25 years and with the lack of interest towards this program locally I don't blame them for playing the games at Met Life.

My wife and I have not missed a Met Life game. Friday night in NYC and then Saturday night in a NFL stadium watch the Cuse beat Notre Dame. I wish people would stop complaining and just drive to NJ to support our football program on Saturday night.

Last edited by a moderator:
What are you talking about. Notre Dame and Syracuse had games scheduled so did Pittsburgh, Boston College with Notre Dame. Those games got cancelled when ND committed to 5 annual ACC games. When didn't Gross cancel the SU-ND games and actually try to get ND on campus. The answer is obviously Gross liked the Metlife money. Gross should just tell the fanbase this truth and atleast I would respect the truth. Saying nothing and hoping the issue isn't raised is what he wants if I were him.
Gross does like the money Met Life is paying because the SU football money is killing the Athletic Department budget. A football program should be the biggest revenue generator but ours can't even sellout the Dome with giveaways every game (free tickets with the Shafer buy one get one deal free student tickets, free children tickets), discounted employee tickets for Maryland, and season tickets for $99. No one should complain in this town because the attendance with all these free or extremely discounted tickets is a disgrace.

Again if this is the reason then Gross SHOULD SAY IT. I mean What is wrong with the media asking him my questions and him saying what you are saying.

I agree. I think he does say exposure (that's like his favorite word). He probably leaves out the money because it sounds greedy. It's the same reason small schools don't come out and say "we come to the dome primarily for the payout"...

Gross does like the money Met Life is paying because the SU football money is killing the Athletic Department budget. A football program should be the biggest revenue generator but ours can't even sellout the Dome with giveaways every game (free tickets with the Shafer buy one get one deal free student tickets, free children tickets), discounted employee tickets for Maryland, and season tickets for $99. No one should complain in this town because the attendance with all these free or extremely discounted tickets is a disgrace.

Football money is way down the list of things killing the SUAD budget. Way down.

Football money is way down the list of things killing the SUAD budget. Way down.
I guess we will agree to disagree. The lack of football ticket sale revenue is a major problem if we want to compete with other ACC football teams.

I guess we will agree to disagree. The lack of football ticket sale revenue is a major problem if we want to compete with other ACC football teams.
Syracuse basketball playing at the Dome has allowed the SU AD to overcome the FB ticket sales. Not many BB programs UK, UNC, UL make as much money at basketball as Syracuse. JB did the SU AD office a huge favor by playing all the OOC games at the Dome from 2005 onwards. JB played good soldier for the SU AD office and stopped his 1 annual road game to help raise all the money he could for AD office.

FB sales went down at the tail end of Coach P run as HC. GRob brought optimism for 2005 but he killed SU FB and Marrone finally brought us back to bowl team. If we want constant mid 40's attendance SU FB needs multiple 9 win seasons. Lack of football ticket sale revenue is not the major problem for the SU AD office because we have the Dome for basketball to plug that gap which other teams can't do.

Goodness people love revisionist history.

It's kind of like the people that think the Penn State game last year was a Dome game that we gave up for NYC.

And there are plenty of people who think that.

I agree that SU needs to figure out revenue, but as others have done a much better job of explaining, I think it's more about the donation/preferred seating structure. Basketball revenue has carried the SUAD for 30 years.

To me the biggest issue is how the $ is spent and where it's being spent.

It's kind of like the people that think the Penn State game last year was a Dome game that we gave up for NYC.

And there are plenty of people who think that.
I have been consistent. I loved the Penn State game last year. It was awesome. A true neutral site game against a program we hated. It was part of a 1-1-1 agreement with Penn State signed in 2010 I believe. If we never play the home/home with Penn State because of their 9 game B1G I would be disappointed but okay with it. That game last year should be only way we play at Metlife a true neutral site game.

I have been consistent. I loved the Penn State game last year. It was awesome. A true neutral site game against a program we hated. It was part of a 1-1-1 agreement with Penn State signed in 2010 I believe. If we never play the home/home with Penn State because of their 9 game B1G I would be disappointed but okay with it. That game last year should be only way we play at Metlife a true neutral site game.

There are a lot of people (like you) who understood this. And it was a good deal.

But there are a lot of people who think we gave away a home game, and lump PSU with USC. Two completely different situations.

Those games handicap the teams chances of winning and ultimately the final record and have bowl implications.
The location of this game in MetLife won't make one bit of difference in the outcome.

The location of this game in MetLife won't make one bit of difference in the outcome.
[hahy-pur-buh-lee]
noun, Rhetoric
obvious and intentional exaggeration.

[hahy-pur-buh-lee]
noun, Rhetoric
obvious and intentional exaggeration.
Not here, IMO. Although when we lose I'm sure some will say it would have been "closer" in the dome.

Fantastic move by Doc. Remember the context that these games were scheduled. It was a way to keep us relevant when we were not. Money, Exposure in the top media market in the world, National TV, Playing great teams on a national stage, Money, Recruiting, anyone who complains just doesnt get it this was a brilliant move given the position we were in. The fact that anyone complains is beyond me. Great job by Doc

We're on different sides of the fence on this one which is fine. I see no reason to fret about an occasional game outside the dome, even if it's *gasp* a 'home' game. Makes no difference to me, IMO, and, I'd argue, just about anywhere is preferable to the Dome for football unless it's a huge game with SU very much in it until the end. Outside of that it's a mausoleum. And NYC is still pretty freaking local -- and really, really local to a huge alumni base.

It's also not that unusual to 'give up' a home game. ND's Shamrock Series, where they play all over the place, is technically a home game.

I think, generally speaking, the Met Life stuff is not altogether different than people getting bent out of shape b/c we were playing on Friday nights. It's just a different era and there may even be some benefit to playing on odd nights b/c you don't get lost amid a sea of games on Saturday.

But we can disagree on that and it's fine. What I think makes no sense, however, is that Gross needs to come out and say it's for the money. For one, it's not necessarily what any school wants to say about any decision they make. But, more importantly, I think it's safe to assume in this era of college football that every single thing a team does -- EVERYTHING -- is about cash. Even the team doing habitat for humanity or something will probably be something they market and try to turn into cash somehow. It's the way it is. So whether DG says it or not, it's what it's about.

Shafer on ND game: "It's a great opportunity for recruiting, especially in an area (NY, NJ) we're trying to upgrade."

Some people just don't get it.

It's an investment that gets an immediate return and hopefully longer term returns as well.

For a program like Syracuse everything involves tradeoffs. Just because some refuse to see the benefits doesn't mean there aren't any.

The job isn't to make everyone happy.

Fantastic move by Doc. Remember the context that these games were scheduled. It was a way to keep us relevant when we were not. Money, Exposure in the top media market in the world, National TV, Playing great teams on a national stage, Money, Recruiting, anyone who complains just doesnt get it this was a brilliant move given the position we were in. The fact that anyone complains is beyond me. Great job by Doc

I agree and I'd take it a step further. I don't even think you have to throw the qualifier on there of 'in the position we were in.' I'm not saying you're wrong, but we still aren't really relevant in any meaningful way week-to-week. I think people think I'm a complete pr!ck when I say stuff like this, but no one in DC ever, EVER talks about SU football. This week, three different people have asked where I'm sitting at the game b/c they are going. It's not for SU, per se, but an excuse to go to NYC and see ND/SU.

Obviously that's ridiculously anecdotal but I guarantee there will be little to no mention of SU after this weekend until hoops starts in Dec.

If ND had anything to do with the games staying at Metlife then I would lose a lot of respect for Gross and I respect Gross a lot.

I'm sure he would be crushed.

Some people just don't get it.

It's an investment that gets an immediate return and hopefully longer term returns as well.

For a program like Syracuse everything involves tradeoffs. Just because some refuse to see the benefits doesn't mean there aren't any.

The job isn't to make everyone happy.

I'm not sure I even get what the tradeoff is. I mean, yes, it's cool to have really good opponents come to your house, but playing big time opponents at a big stadium in NYC on what is likely to be a beautiful weekend is pretty freaking cool. As I said earlier, ND gives up a home date to play all over the place for recruiting purposes and exposure yet no one seems to treat it as some sort of tradeoff.

some neutral games would have been fine but this was way too many, im surprised people actually think this is a good idea or blame the season ticket holders for being pissed. it is way too many games. the only way it turns into a positive is if we start winning these games, like all of them, and it turns into a msg type home games, but that seems really farfetched at this point given that every team we have played so far has had a bigger crowd presence. so far we look like sacrificial lambs willing to get crushed in a neutral game for the money against power programs.

orangehomer said:
some neutral games would have been fine but this was way too many, im surprised people actually think this is a good idea or blame the season ticket holders for being pissed. it is way too many games. the only way it turns into a positive is if we start winning these games, like all of them, and it turns into a msg type home games, but that seems really farfetched at this point given that every team we have played so far has had a bigger crowd presence. so far we look like sacrificial lambs willing to get crushed in a neutral game for the money against power programs.

Teams play neutral site games all the time.

I read several tweets from our Jersey recruits/prospects who are excited to go to this game.

But if it helps recruiting and gives the program a bit of exposure (neither of which is a guarantee, I understand) as well as line the coffers a bit -- doesn't that directly help the season ticket holder by delivering better teams? Doesn't the season ticket holder inherently benefit from the move to the ACC, which theoretically delivers an entire season's worth of better football games? And shouldn't the AD be concerned with the athletic department's profile beyond current season ticket holders and absolutely including pockets of the country with huge alumni bases? And lastly -- you can do a day trip to NYC. Right? I mean, I drove to Harrisonburg and back today from Silver Spring for work. 3+ hours, no overnight. It's a pain, but it's also not impossible and it could even be fun if you're turning into an overnight with a group of people.

billsin01 said:
I agree and I'd take it a step further. I don't even think you have to throw the qualifier on there of 'in the position we were in.' I'm not saying you're wrong, but we still aren't really relevant in any meaningful way week-to-week. I think people think I'm a complete pr!ck when I say stuff like this, but no one in DC ever, EVER talks about SU football. This week, three different people have asked where I'm sitting at the game b/c they are going. It's not for SU, per se, but an excuse to go to NYC and see ND/SU. Obviously that's ridiculously anecdotal but I guarantee there will be little to no mention of SU after this weekend until hoops starts in Dec.

After we beat ND and Louisville there will be talk about our home date with FSU ;).

I live out of state and this week is the only week I have seen anything on TV about an upcoming SU football game. This is great for the profile of the program and the coffers. It sucks for the season ticket holders, but at $99...I don't think a high profile non-conference game is necesarily priced in. Florida State, the defending national champs and #1 team in the country is playing in the dome this year. Not sure what more you can expect for the price. FSU fans are going to take over the dome and make it feel like Tallahasee north. It is unavoidable for a conference game but I don't want 15k Notre Dame dbags taking over the dome. NYC is a really smart choice for multiple reasons.