NEWSFLASH TO THE SYRACUSE MEDIA WHO READ THIS SITE SOMEBODY ASK GROSS ABOUT METLIFE DEAL | Page 8 | Syracusefan.com

NEWSFLASH TO THE SYRACUSE MEDIA WHO READ THIS SITE SOMEBODY ASK GROSS ABOUT METLIFE DEAL

I hear ya, but if we need wins, we shouldn't be playing anyone better than, say, Maryland out of conference. The ACC schedule is tough enough. We should be scheduling like Rutgers has for years.

Yeah we are 0-3 so far in these games and are scheduling high profile teams that are more than likely going to beat us. Exposure is great and all but are we just scheduling losses in this met life series?

People don't like me and I avoid making them angry.
I doubt that there are many, if any, people here that dislike you. I don't.

For some reason, this issue has got so riled up that your expressed opinion (sometimes expressed as "fact") seems unreasonable to many here. I hope, and actually believe, that this will prove to be a non-issue.

You should visit a board tailgate. Heck, go anonymous at first. You'll enjoy it.

Go Orange!

Seriously this issue just needs to be answered one time by Gross.
Cuseguy I don't go to board tailgates for this issue exactly.
People don't like me and I avoid making them angry. I have had 4 season tickets since graduating in 2006. I don't go to every game but seats are used I don't live in CNY and just want my treat fairly by a partner. If we played true neutral site games at MetLife I would love the games but not at expense of Syracuse true home games.
nobody hates you. stop it.

if you want hate, and being afraid to go to board events...too bad you werent a fly on the wall around here from 98-02.

then once people get to know you, well...75% will still not be fond of you, but at least you know they wont shiv you.

:eek:

Oh Lord

Alsacs and I definitely disagree on the Metlife games scenario but I don't discount him asking the question. If he feels that he needs an answer, that is fine by me.

This is the essence of his question - if the games are ACC conference games, and they count as one of our home games, we ALL should be pissed. Just like JB said, I'm not playing SU home games anywhere but the Dome (when Gross was talking up the possibility of playing Duke at MSG in hoops a couple years ago).

So long as the future games come from the 4 non-conference games on our slate, everyone should be fine with it. That's the answer ALSACS is looking for from Gross, and frankly, that's the answer Gross should be giving. There shouldn't be any discussion whatsoever of giving up actual conference home games in ANY sport to move them to a neutral site, and he shouldn't be playing cute with saying so.

Attendance, which is the other elephant in the room. The fanbase has already been told that 14 of the biggest OOC games will be in NJ. We aren't playing CMU in NJ.

Well, let's see that play out. I know it's fun to scream and yell on a board, but it's probably worth waiting to see what happens.

I mean we're playing LSU in the Dome, it really doesn't get much better than that.

And I'm sorry, but if "fans" up there really aren't buying tickets for games in their city because other games are being played somewhere else... I just don't know what to say.

Just about every major college program is playing neutral site games these days. I often think that SU fans really have little sense of perspective, and this would reinforce it. Do VaTech fans not go to games in Blacksburgh because they play a game in DC? Do Oklahoma State fans not go to games in Stillwater because they play a game at Jerry World? I just don't get it.

Kaiser there is absolutely no way the ACC will let the next SU-ND game from 2017-2019 be at the Carrier dome.
From 2014-2016 ND is playing 7 road games @FSU this year, SU-MetLife this year, @Virginia, @ Clemson, @ Pitt next year, @NC State, Syracuse-MetLife in 2016.
That means from 2017-2019 the other 7 teams will get home games and Syracuse will be on the road. How the hell will SU get a 3rd home game before teams had gotten 1?

Scooch said:
Well, let's see that play out. I know it's fun to scream and yell on a board, but it's probably worth waiting to see what happens. I mean we're playing LSU in the Dome, it really doesn't get much better than that. And I'm sorry, but if "fans" up there really aren't buying tickets for games in their city because other games are being played somewhere else... I just don't know what to say. Just about every major college program is playing neutral site games these days. I often think that SU fans really have little sense of perspective, and this would reinforce it. Do VaTech fans not go to games in Blacksburgh because they play a game in DC? Do Oklahoma State fans not go to games in Stillwater because they play a game at Jerry World? I just don't get it.

You're not even comparing apples to apples when considering where a program is. Plus you turned around what I said. I didn't say people aren't buying seasons because of the NJ games. The point is if the more and the better games OOC that we get in the Dome, the better the attendance numbers will be and the better chance we have at an upset or win.

For crying out loud the 2014 and 2016 games ARE considered Syracuse home games they are controlled by ESPN not NBC which controls ND home games.
If you say so. I'll simply wait and see how it pans out.

The best possible scenario, considering that the MetLife games were already committed to, would be for these two games to be ACC neutral games. It's a win-win for everyone and doesn't step on anyone's toes. There's nothing out there to preclude that from happening.

You're not even comparing apples to apples when considering where a program is. Plus you turned around what I said. I didn't say people aren't buying seasons because of the NJ games. The point is if the more and the better games OOC that we get in the Dome, the better the attendance numbers will be and the better chance we have at an upset or win.

Well, in terms of apples-to-apples, schedules are made years in advance, Hell, didn't Michigan and Texas just announce a series to be played in 2027?! It's pretty hard to project the state of any program 5-10 years into the future. So yeah, it stinks that SU is still wholly mediocre in 2014, but it's not like we were counting on that when we signed to play a game 6 years ago.

As to attendance, I get it, although I believe you've contended in the past that people aren't buying tickets for games in Syracuse because of games in New Jersey. But let's put that aside. Certainly attendance would be better for a Notre Dame game at the Dome than a Villanova game, or whatever. But I'm not sure that it's zero sum. We're still playing 6 home games in the years we play at MetLife. If that 7th were in the Dome then yes, the attendance for that game would be strong. Would it help the other 6? Maybe if it were part of a package, somewhat. But then we're back to the trade off... is the revenue from a game at MetLife worth not playing it in the Dome? I certainly don't know the math, but some seem to suggest it is.

I'm not even a big supporter of MetLife games. I was 100% behind doing it when we did. And I've been to them all. But the bloom is off that rose for me, personally. But I also don't manage the books at SU, so I don't have that burden weighing on my opinion.

Kaiser there is absolutely no way the ACC will let the next SU-ND game from 2017-2019 be at the Carrier dome.
From 2014-2016 ND is playing 7 road games @FSU this year, SU-MetLife this year, @Virginia, @ Clemson, @ Pitt next year, @NC State, Syracuse-MetLife in 2016.
That could be true if the MetLife games are considered to be SU home games.* Most here are not convinced that that's the case. You're the only one that has assumed it to be "fact" and has run with it.

* we will admit that these two games are likely not ND home games.

Yeah we are 0-3 so far in these games and are scheduling high profile teams that are more than likely going to beat us. Exposure is great and all but are we just scheduling losses in this met life series?
If we wanna be nationally relevant, we have to play the best. Our co-Big East titles in the past decade weren't impressing anyone. And recruits want to play the best teams in the country.

What was the deal when Syracuse destroyed Wisc. in East Rutherford (Giants Stadium)? Was that a home game for us or a neutral site? To lazy to look up. I guess my question is who set that up? The stadium? Was that an indirect genesis of Daryl's Metlife seriesthinking?

Opus said:
What was the deal when Syracuse destroyed Wisc. in East Rutherford (Giants Stadium)? Was that a home game for us or a neutral site? To lazy to look up. I guess my question is who set that up? The stadium? Was that an indirect genesis of Daryl's Metlife seriesthinking?

It was a one off. One of those kick off classics.

Scooch said:
Well, in terms of apples-to-apples, schedules are made years in advance, Hell, didn't Michigan and Texas just announce a series to be played in 2027?! It's pretty hard to project the state of any program 5-10 years into the future. So yeah, it stinks that SU is still wholly mediocre in 2014, but it's not like we were counting on that when we signed to play a game 6 years ago. As to attendance, I get it, although I believe you've contended in the past that people aren't buying tickets for games in Syracuse because of games in New Jersey. But let's put that aside. Certainly attendance would be better for a Notre Dame game at the Dome than a Villanova game, or whatever. But I'm not sure that it's zero sum. We're still playing 6 home games in the years we play at MetLife. If that 7th were in the Dome then yes, the attendance for that game would be strong. Would it help the other 6? Maybe if it were part of a package, somewhat. But then we're back to the trade off... is the revenue from a game at MetLife worth not playing it in the Dome? I certainly don't know the math, but some seem to suggest it is. I'm not even a big supporter of MetLife games. I was 100% behind doing it when we did. And I've been to them all. But the bloom is off that rose for me, personally. But I also don't manage the books at SU, so I don't have that burden weighing on my opinion.

Yep. They are made in advance. That's what's stupid about a 20+ year deal.

Pat Kelly said:
If we wanna be nationally relevant, we have to play the best. Our co-Big East titles in the past decade weren't impressing anyone. And recruits want to play the best teams in the country.

Okay them at home, not NJ.

KaiserUEO said:
BULLSPIT!! get this Fn positive news OUT of this thread. only irrational-negativity is permitted. the gall of OX, brining up this relevent, positive fact...
I'm baffled at how it can be worth so much. Not saying it's bs, I just don't get it

With the lackluster attendance at the Dome for home games moving the games to MetLife is a pure money grab and makes the most sense for SU football.

From a competitive on the field sense it hurts but financially there is no denying why they do it and will continue to do it

Stern said:
With the lackluster attendance at the Dome for home games moving the games to MetLife is a pure money grab and makes the most sense for SU football. From a competitive on the field sense it hurts but financially there is no denying why they do it and will continue to do it

Don't know how anyone can say a money grab makes sense when the negative financial factors are hard to calculate.

1. Fewer real good OOC games means lower attendance overall which is a financial negative.

2. Playing fewer home games and instead playing top teams on the road, means fewer wins in the long run. Fewer wins can impact attendance thus is a financial negative.

3. Same as 2, fewer wins can keep us out of a bowl or place us in a lesser bowl.

Just with those 3, provide the negative financial hit we take, then we can determine if playing in NJ is a financial benefit.

Hey for what it's worth -- I personally think it would be awesome if they played one at the Ralph.

*ducks*
I brought this up in another thread. Play U Buffalo at the Ralph. Kick the snot out of them, establish dominance, appease fans in WNY.

That article is so full of holes it's not worth getting into it all.

I don't disagree, but at least it's finally a public admission that these games are about the $. Small steps towards a bit less BS out of Manley

Upstate said:
I brought this up in another thread. Play U Buffalo at the Ralph. Kick the snot out of them, establish dominance, appease fans in WNY.

Not the same money, market, or exposure. A needless away game.