Next two games | Syracusefan.com

Next two games

GoSU96

Living Legend
JHU 1-3, three straight losses, by 3 at Loyola, by 7 to UNC, by 7 at Princeton.

Rutty, 2-3 three straight losses, by 11 at Army, by 1 at Loyola, by 1 at home to SUNY Stony Brook. Play Princeton next week.

Normally you would anticipate that we would get both programs best shots. Hopefully Desko smells blood in the water and impresses upon the team to opportunity to bury both.

The schedule is setting up nicely to stay at or near the top going into the ACC.

Last edited:
We should be #1 come Monday. I’ve watched most of two PSU games - very underwhelmed by anyone not named Ament or O Keefe (I’m sure face off is good too, but tough to see given the last two matchups). Those inside lacrosse guys are way too mid Atlantic centric.

Cuse better be mentally prepared for each and take it one game at a time.
Road games, their faithful will be there and most of their cores returned.
Have had our issues with both offenses in recent years, down big to both last year with both games not decided until late in fourth .Both opponents will be highly motivated , a win agaisnt rival and highly ranked use would redeem much.

We should be #1 come Monday. I’ve watched most of two PSU games - very underwhelmed by anyone not named Ament or O Keefe (I’m sure face off is good too, but tough to see given the last two matchups). Those inside lacrosse guys are way too mid Atlantic centric.
Agree on PSU .

Know that #3 rank last week gives us edge if not PSU but if Cornell and UNC post good victories over good opponents today then those teams should be considered as well as Princeton. Early rankings are just that , just hoping Cuse season earns high seed in NCAA regardless of any rank going in

Agree on PSU .

Know that #3 rank last week gives us edge if not PSU but if Cornell and UNC post good victories over good opponents today then those teams should be considered as well as Princeton. Early rankings are just that , just hoping Cuse season earns high seed in NCAA regardless of any rank going in

With the way football and hoops, went/are going, want that #1, and for an extended time.

Got to stay focused and clean-up a couple areas, and as you said they will get the best shots taken at them. Do what you are capable of and should be two W's

The move to CNS won’t effect our ability to host an opening round tourney game there correct?

Really need to take care of business against Hopkins and Rutgers, they aren't having the seasons they wanted so far, but they are absolutely very talented teams, and these will be Syracuse's first two road games of the year. I think the games last year were a lot closer than the scoreboard indicated. For the Hopkins game I think a lot depends on Epstein - he's been hurt all year but still put up four points last week - side note, a hobbled Epstein against a hobbled Mellen seems like a fair matchup. Also it seems like Hopkins fans think they will be better shape with their backup goalie, who I have to imagine will start against SU after last week.

Also this schedule gets progressively much more difficult as the season goes along - UNC, Cornell are looking much tougher than prognosticators thought, Duke will have gotten over their early season hangover, and Albany will be tough as always, and extra fired up playing at home. I sound like Jeremy I know, but Desko did not give the team much wiggle room at all the second half of the season.

If we host and play at CNS, it will be the first time in forever we probably won't get the Sunday night slot.

We wouldn't have to be in our usual Sunday night placement, but Mom's used to her Sunday Morning Mothers Day Brunch.

We wouldn't have to be in our usual Sunday night placement, but Mom's used to her Sunday Morning Mothers Day Brunch.
She should be good. I would have to assume the University would ask for a Saturday placement so as not to interfere with Commencement.

Have to think if Mellen is still out that Kennedy will take Epstein, injury or not and DiPietro will take Williams. Would feel better about our matchups if Mellen was back to bump Kennedy to Williams, but I think the Orange still have an advantage. Williams leads the team in points but scored 7 of his 11 points against Towson in their only win of the season (he did have a hat-trick against UNC). The seem to be starting a freshman at the third spot who put up a hat-trick last week against PU.

It looks like Zinn commands the long pole at this stage of the season, the Hopkins middies are pretty big, so this might be a game for Helmer. None of the Hopkins offensive players are having dynamic seasons right now (see 11 points for leading scorer), but it appears they have some depth as Degnon doesn't start but is tied for second on the team with 9 points.

Orange will have their biggest test at the face-off x as Hopkins has two guys winning at 60% (Phaup's availability will be key here). Orange won the face-off battle 17-28 last year with Phaup and Varello splitting things evenly at 14 draws a piece (Varello won 9, Phaup 8).

Have to think if Mellen is still out that Kennedy will take Epstein, injury or not and DiPietro will take Williams. Would feel better about our matchups if Mellen was back to bump Kennedy to Williams, but I think the Orange still have an advantage. Williams leads the team in points but scored 7 of his 11 points against Towson in their only win of the season (he did have a hat-trick against UNC). The seem to be starting a freshman at the third spot who put up a hat-trick last week against PU.

It looks like Zinn commands the long pole at this stage of the season, the Hopkins middies are pretty big, so this might be a game for Helmer. None of the Hopkins offensive players are having dynamic seasons right now (see 11 points for leading scorer), but it appears they have some depth as Degnon doesn't start but is tied for second on the team with 9 points.

Orange will have their biggest test at the face-off x as Hopkins has two guys winning at 60% (Phaup's availability will be key here). Orange won the face-off battle 17-28 last year with Phaup and Varello splitting things evenly at 14 draws a piece (Varello won 9, Phaup 8).

I am curious how they will handle Epstein as well. Must say the footage of him dodging in the Princeton game makes him look like much less of a threat than Williams at present. He still has his lethal shot and vision but unless he is looking much healthier against us I don't see him drawing slides on one of our long poles. Right now I would lean towards Kennedy on Williams regardless. He can disappear but he is still a massive threat off the dodge, and with him disappearing in these last couple games he may be looking to make a statement. Do they just assume that Epstein will look more like his older self next week or do they plan on him still looking unhealthy and put one of our lesser cover guys on him? Tough call since its kind of a mystery.

I wonder how playing outside of the comfy dome for the first time this season will affect them against Hopkins. The women's team commited a ton of turnovers down in Maryland in their win over the terps on Sat; I’m sure part of it was due to the cold weather. Last season the men didn’t play on the road till their 8th game against ND.

Gotta keep the TO’s down this weekend.

Epstein posted a 2-2 vs Princeton so perhaps getting there. 6 "4 Williams alternating games, dangerous when on. . DiPietro best match size wise. Cant overlook Owen Murphy , a talented frosh att who took nine shots in scoring 3 last game. Know little about him other than highly ranked recruit but he'll have to be attended to as Epstein and even Williams will find. Underrated vet Smith plays both mid and attack .At mid, Zinn is a body who can separate , volume shooter but low sh% and they have a 6"4" Degnon. Helmer size matches better and Dearth and Dami can neutralize as long as on/off switches are timely. If not there could be some mismatches depending on who is on field. Maybe 6' 4" Kim considered for some 2nd line runs in this game

Wary about this game , expect a close one. Teams are more motivated when competing against their rivals as opposed to non-rival competitors with who they do not share the same history. Hopkins's back is agaisnt the wall and Cuse top ranking will only add to hop's motivation in front of their home crowd with that annoying band. Cuse mids not going to shoot on goal at 77% often and no Sowers or Gray ability to distribute to loosen their D for our multiple weapons . Speed advantage but will have to execute well and as prior poster adjust to outside game quickly and limit turnovers.

Epstein posted a 2-2 vs Princeton so perhaps getting there. 6 "4 Williams alternating games, dangerous when on. . DiPietro best match size wise. Cant overlook Owen Murphy , a talented frosh att who took nine shots in scoring 3 last game. Know little about him other than highly ranked recruit but he'll have to be attended to as Epstein and even Williams will find. Underrated vet Smith plays both mid and attack .At mid, Zinn is a body who can separate , volume shooter but low sh% and they have a 6"4" Degnon. Helmer size matches better and Dearth and Dami can neutralize as long as on/off switches are timely. If not there could be some mismatches depending on who is on field. Maybe 6' 4" Kim considered for some 2nd line runs in this game

Wary about this game , expect a close one. Teams are more motivated when competing against their rivals as opposed to non-rival competitors with who they do not share the same history. Hopkins's back is agaisnt the wall and Cuse top ranking will only add to hop's motivation in front of their home crowd with that annoying band. Cuse mids not going to shoot on goal at 77% often and no Sowers or Gray ability to distribute to loosen their D for our multiple weapons . Speed advantage but will have to execute well and as prior poster adjust to outside game quickly and limit turnovers.

This has to be a game we get some scoring and dodging out of Rehfuss and Cook. JHU is hurting at long pole and I think Petro will go against his style and try and double pole the midfield. All the attackmen including Scanlan need to be ready to take advantage. Phaups availability is also key. Wouldn't be surprised if Mellen returned this week.

Both GO and Ivory are correct. These will not be easy games at all as both squads are wounded and desperate for a season changing win against an opponent they dont like. SU could easily lose either game if it's not ready and the continued injuries are a less then stellar sign. That said if you want to win the national championship and prove the #1 ranking is no fluke, SU needs to win both of these games period, no excuses. Both Hop and Rutty have major flaws and SU needs to exploit those weaknesses and drop the hammer so to speak. Turnovers and attack play will continue to be key along with some improvement or adjustments to a disappointing second mid line.

This has to be a game we get some scoring and dodging out of Rehfuss and Cook. JHU is hurting at long pole and I think Petro will go against his style and try and double pole the midfield. All the attackmen including Scanlan need to be ready to take advantage. Phaups availability is also key. Wouldn't be surprised if Mellen returned this week.
Hard to understand why Army and Hobart did not short Cook and Rehfuss. I believe they would score less than the combination of two of the three first middies.

Hard to understand why Army and Hobart did not short Cook and Rehfuss. I believe they would score less than the combination of two of the three first middies.

Seems like only a matter of time before this happens. Also, d-middies will be getting a lot more athletic as we enter the ACC schedule, so SU can't simply rely on those match-ups going forward. That said, I have faith in Rhefuss and Cook taking short sticks on, and Scanlan as proved his ability to beat the short stick last year (in fact I am little surprised he doesn't dodge at all against long sticks this season). Rhefuss' job as a freshmen was to come off the bench and run by shorties - this is how they won the UNC game.

Seems like only a matter of time before this happens. Also, d-middies will be getting a lot more athletic as we enter the ACC schedule, so SU can't simply rely on those match-ups going forward. That said, I have faith in Rhefuss and Cook taking short sticks on, and Scanlan as proved his ability to beat the short stick last year (in fact I am little surprised he doesn't dodge at all against long sticks this season). Rhefuss' job as a freshmen was to come off the bench and run by shorties - this is how they won the UNC game.
good points. still I think it's worth a shot. Maybe with a quick slide.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom