Next year's frontcourt | Syracusefan.com

Next year's frontcourt

orangepassion

Nunzio Prophet
When is the last time we were not sure who any of the starters would be? I'm guessing Fair starts, but can't even say that 100%.

I hope Southerland works over the summer with determination to become a starter.

Coleman and Noel start no matter what. Rak starts at the 4 if Noel goes elswhere. CJ starts at the 3 he was the starter there this season.

I'm of the opinion that Southerland would be a better starter than Fair, because I think having a shooter ready, warmed up, and playing immediately is better than bringing him off the bench and hoping he can get it going.

I'm also of the opinion that CJ's game - working for rebounds, finding holes in the defense, midrange jumpers - is probably unaffected by him coming off the bench. If anything, it gives him a chance to see what the defense is doing for a few minutes, whereas Southerland's job is to score from deep.

Kev

Reallly hope rak develops a go to post move, he haa veryquick jump and longarms he would be able to get off a babyhook with ease if he develops it

You don't agree, why?

I think Coleman gives us a low post game that is much needed. If Noel doesn't come then I see Rak starting at the 4 again woth Coleman over Keita at teh 5. If Noel comes here then i think Noel starts at the 4 but again with Coleman the best post scorer of the other 3 bigs as the 5. Even if James and CJ started Coleman in teh middle would open up more space for them than Rak or Baye.

Reallly hope rak develops a go to post move, he haa veryquick jump and longarms he would be able to get off a babyhook with ease if he develops it

I think he will get better in the post. early in the season he had some back to the basket moves that looked fairly comfortable for him, although they were against much lesser competition. I agree about the baby hook.

You don't agree, why?

I think Coleman gives us a low post game that is much needed. If Noel doesn't come then I see Rak starting at the 4 again woth Coleman over Keita at teh 5. If Noel comes here then i think Noel starts at the 4 but again with Coleman the best post scorer of the other 3 bigs as the 5. Even if James and CJ started Coleman in teh middle would open up more space for them than Rak or Baye.
I just don't see him taking the starting spot from Rak

Well, some of this was true. CJ didn't start at the 3, he came in at the 4 for Rak. But the rest of it was accurate -- Noel and DC2 will start on the frontline .. for us or any other team in the country. Rak will backup up Noel at the 4 (or 5 in a pinch).

CJ will start at the 3, because he's good and that's his natural position. If he develops a serviceable outside shot, he'll be better than KJ.

Dirty's also a 3. But if Noel doesn't commit, he'll back up either the 3 or 4, as he did this year, and you may see Grant get some minutes at either position depending on how he plays.
If Noel commits, Dirty will be CJ's backup but will play major minutes (more against zones/matchups where we need a shooter).

MCW/TC/BT are the guard rotation.

When is the last time we were not sure who any of the starters would be? I'm guessing Fair starts, but can't even say that 100%.

We've got 3 locks - Triche, Fair and MCW. James or Rak for the other F spot, and likely Coleman or Keita at C would probably be Boeheim's preference. He likes to get 2 big guys into the starting lineup for rebounding and defense, so I'm thinking Rak starts again next year at the 4 with James and Cooney off the bench for instant offense. I think Grant needs a year for Big East level competition. I'm assuming Noel goes to Kentucky.

My best guess at the starting lineup and rotation:

C: Coleman
PF: Christmas
SF: Fair
PG: MCW
SG: Triche

F: Southerland
G: Cooney
C: Keita
1/2: Grant

With that starting lineup, we need to have Coleman be a real offensive threat in the low post, and we need Triche to be more confident and aggressive, or else there won't be enough offense in that group. I think Xmas will get a longer leash next year if he starts, but I see Dirty coming in by the 4 minute mark for that extra offensive juice. Cooney comes in at 6 minutes. Keita on the first foul by the center.

Not sure why (if we land Noel) that he would immediately start over Rak. Noel is a great talent, highly rated, and a really good shot blocker coming out of HS... which is exactly what Rak was as well except he'll have a year in the system w/ some PT and an offseason to get a bit stronger.

Not sure why (if we land Noel) that he would immediately start over Rak. Noel is a great talent, highly rated, and a really good shot blocker coming out of HS... which is exactly what Rak was as well except he'll have a year in the system w/ some PT and an offseason to get a bit stronger.

Noel's taller and a shot-blocking machine. He'd start for defensive/rebounding purposes -- any points from him are gravy. DC2 will do major offensive damage in the middle and could be even more reliable and productive down low for us than Orinze.

If Noel goes to University of D'League, I like Rak to play PF for us -- he wasn't consistent, but he showed me something at the end of this year. I know he was more 'comfortable' in the middle this season - but that doesn't mean JB will want him there next year except in a pinch.

C- DC2 with Keita, Rak backups (15 fouls baby);
PF - NN with Rak/Grant/Dirty backups;
SF - CJ with Dirty/Grant backups
SG - BT with TC backup (TC will be a surprise contributor)
MCW with other guards rotating (another big time talent waiting to flower).

Noel's taller and a shot-blocking machine. He'd start for defensive/rebounding purposes -- any points from him are gravy. DC2 will do major offensive damage in the middle and could be even more reliable and productive down low for us than Orinze.

If Noel goes to University of D'League, I like Rak to play PF for us -- he wasn't consistent, but he showed me something at the end of this year. I know he was more 'comfortable' in the middle this season - but that doesn't mean JB will want him there next year except in a pinch.

C- DC2 with Keita, Rak backups (15 fouls baby);
PF - NN with Rak/Grant/Dirty backups;
SF - CJ with Dirty/Grant backups
SG - BT with TC backup (TC will be a surprise contributor)
MCW with other guards rotating (another big time talent waiting to flower).

True but Noel is also a light weight which caused issues for Rak (bigger than Noel) and Keita (same measureables). Could also see Rak @ 5 and NN @ 4 lineup and teams just avoiding the paint entirely. Keita showed a big jump in tourney play but still might get redshirted next year if NN is on board. Would be a waste of a year at maybe 5-10 mpg for BMK.

Regardless, It's a good 'problem' to have.

Based on HS accolades though Rak and NN look like similar prospects in their given classes.

after watching noel highlights yesterday with him coming to SU i feel the lineup is
MCW, Triche, CJ, Noel, Rak then off the bench we'll see Dirty, Cooney, DC2, Baye, and maybe Grant
Without Noel
MCW,Triche,CJ,Rak,DC2. But who knows if DC2 can play the 4, im judging that lineup on the assumption he wont be able too. Also what if Baye has a good off season adds 20 lbs and some hands.

Well, some of this was true. CJ didn't start at the 3, he came in at the 4 for Rak. But the rest of it was accurate -- Noel and DC2 will start on the frontline .. for us or any other team in the country. Rak will backup up Noel at the 4 (or 5 in a pinch).

CJ will start at the 3, because he's good and that's his natural position. If he develops a serviceable outside shot, he'll be better than KJ.

Dirty's also a 3. But if Noel doesn't commit, he'll back up either the 3 or 4, as he did this year, and you may see Grant get some minutes at either position depending on how he plays.
If Noel commits, Dirty will be CJ's backup but will play major minutes (more against zones/matchups where we need a shooter).

MCW/TC/BT are the guard rotation.
I just don't see Rak not starting

IMO it is MCW, Triche, CJ, Rak, and either NN(if he comes) or DC(if he doesn't)

One thing that will be interesting about the Noel situation, if he decides to play here, is figuring out where he would play. It seems like most of the board believes that he will play the 4 next year, with the debate being DC2 vs Rak at the 5.

My issue with that is we would be taking a potentially Anthony Davis-like shot blocker and moving him farther away from the basket. The two things that seem to work best in the zone are big guards and a shot-blocker at the 5. So, if we do get Noel, I'd want him at the 5.

I'm sure that there are a million things that I am missing here, but that's jut my thoughts.

One thing that will be interesting about the Noel situation, if he decides to play here, is figuring out where he would play. It seems like most of the board believes that he will play the 4 next year, with the debate being DC2 vs Rak at the 5.

My issue with that is we would be taking a potentially Anthony Davis-like shot blocker and moving him farther away from the basket. The two things that seem to work best in the zone are big guards and a shot-blocker at the 5. So, if we do get Noel, I'd want him at the 5.

I'm sure that there are a million things that I am missing here, but that's jut my thoughts.
I agree and that is why they practice and play exhibitions

Do people really think Rak will start at the 4 again? He's not quick enough IMO to be the 4. I think Rak/DC split at the 5 with Noel at the 4.

The only way Rak plays the 4 next year is if Noel isn't here; and that's simply because Fair/Southerland won't play 35mpg each at the 3/4.

Enjoyed this post about Noel on Hoyatalk:

If he chooses Cuse over us, its honestly his loss. He will literally lose a full year of his development. Trying to argue against that is insane. If he chooses Kentucky, I fully respect that. If he chooses us, he will become a legitimate NBA superstar caliber big man. If you want to be a mix of Patrick, Alonzo, and Dikembe, this is the place to be. If playing out on the wing and learning nothing is more your style, by all means go to Cuse. Keep in mind that if he chooses Cuse, we won't even have to worry about him next season. He'll be doing nothing while the guards showboat and hog the ball. So, that's a plus.

Honestly, people seem to think that this decision won't really affect his career trajectory and that he'll be an NBA stud no matter what. Well, I really disagree. I think a year at Cuse will torpedo his development. Coming into the league extremely raw can be pretty tough to recover from as a big man. If he comes to Georgetown, not only will he be the top pick that he would be regardless, but he will be ready to become an NBA all-star.

Enjoyed this post about Noel on Hoyatalk:

If he chooses Cuse over us, its honestly his loss. He will literally lose a full year of his development. Trying to argue against that is insane. If he chooses Kentucky, I fully respect that. If he chooses us, he will become a legitimate NBA superstar caliber big man. If you want to be a mix of Patrick, Alonzo, and Dikembe, this is the place to be. If playing out on the wing and learning nothing is more your style, by all means go to Cuse. Keep in mind that if he chooses Cuse, we won't even have to worry about him next season. He'll be doing nothing while the guards showboat and hog the ball. So, that's a plus.

Honestly, people seem to think that this decision won't really affect his career trajectory and that he'll be an NBA stud no matter what. Well, I really disagree. I think a year at Cuse will torpedo his development. Coming into the league extremely raw can be pretty tough to recover from as a big man. If he comes to Georgetown, not only will he be the top pick that he would be regardless, but he will be ready to become an NBA all-star.
Translation:
1 year at Cuse= NBA D-Leauge
1 year at GTown= NBA All Star

Seiklay coleman warrick onauku jackson melo bouie schayes etan never devolped here i guess lol, taking thomas who was an afterthought in the recruiting world to become the big east leader in blocked shots, a lottery pick, and having a ten plus year career inthe league is more impressive than getting extreme talents like zo. Ewing, monroe into the league

Seiklay coleman warrick onauku jackson melo bouie schayes etan never devolped here i guess lol, taking thomas who was an afterthought in the recruiting world to become the big east leader in blocked shots, a lottery pick, and having a ten plus year career inthe league is more impressive than getting extreme talents like zo. Ewing, monroe into the league
Read that Noel thread over there. THe last 10 pages are literally blasting our ability to develop big men/legit NBA players and all they keep talking about is "Big Man U"

I don't think anyone cares about the Centers that were at GTown in 1986, since JT2 isn't there.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom