Next year's success is simple | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Next year's success is simple

Moyer and Brissett will not compare to Lydon.

Dude was the best player on this team and we're running him out of town for two freshman? Come on...
Did you read my post? I said he's so much more talented than both of them! But for how good he is...you tell me a game we won because of him. I'm not running him out of town, I hope he stays. But his stock is only going to drop. I know PG play was a man reason for this subpar season, and I think a healthy debate that AW was our best player could happen too!

I've come to look forward to the Briancuse annual posts about how players shouldn't go to the NBA. I mean that, sincerely.

Lydon isn't even close to the other guys, the other guys who left got better, he has regressed.

Did you read my post? I said he's so much more talented than both of them! But for how good he is...you tell me a game we won because of him. I'm not running him out of town, I hope he stays. But his stock is only going to drop. I know PG play was a man reason for this subpar season, and I think a healthy debate that AW was our best player could happen too!

Lydon isn't on this team I doubt we win 10 games this year. I can say the same about Gillon and White too. We were a bad bad team, but Lydon was important.

90% of players drafted need to go back and aren't ready. That's the NBA. That's the NBA draft. Don't know why this isn't realized around here. He comes back I doubt he ever gets drafted in the first round, he might not this year. He should've left last year.
Now, there's a lot of unknown, but I remember last year when people were celebrating that Ivan Rabb at Cal decided to go back to school after being projected as a lottery pick.

Again, we don't know for sure where he would have been drafted last year, but he's no longer projected as a lottery pick. His decision to give Cal another year, another year in which they also were an NIT team, potentially cost him a lot of money.

Unless, he developed so much as a player this past season at Cal that he is now so much better positioned to have a longer NBA career. But if that's the case, why has his stock dropped?

We go as far as Battle goes. He has the skill set to be a next level player and needs to emerge as the go to guy.

Let's hope we can salvage enough of a supporting cast to be successful.

The most level-headed post to emerge here in quite a few hours. Completely agree. Battle will the engine that drives next year's team.

Lydon isn't even close to the other guys, the other guys who left got better, he has regressed.
Ok... let's assume Lydon regressed.

If we believe that Lydon would have been a first round pick after last season, he should have jumped to the NBA so that he could have regressed while getting paid.

Now, there's a lot of unknown, but I remember last year when people were celebrating that Ivan Rabb at Cal decided to go back to school after being projected as a lottery pick.

Again, we don't know for sure where he would have been drafted last year, but he's no longer projected as a lottery pick. His decision to give Cal another year, another year in which they also were an NIT team, potentially cost him a lot of money.

Unless, he developed so much as a player this past season at Cal that he is now so much better positioned to have a longer NBA career. But if that's the case, why has his stock dropped?

I dont know why personally as I think GMs are dumb, but staying almost never works no matter the player improvement.

I don't know what would have happened if Lydon left and I don't know what will happen if he stays. But he would get drafted this year, late first round at best but this is where he needs to figure out how much he can improve on that.

With the minimal improvement from last year to this year he may not improve a ton into next year which would make him a second rounder at best.

Lydon isn't on this team I doubt we win 10 games this year. I can say the same about Gillon and White too. We were a bad bad team, but Lydon was important.
100% with you on that! I'm openly hoping he's back!!! His scoring will most definitely be impossible to replace with those two, but as far as defense(which we played none this year!) and rebounding I think they could handle if not surpass what he did. Love the motor on both those guys!

I dont know why personally as I think GMs are dumb, but staying almost never works no matter the player improvement.

I don't know what would have happened if Lydon left and I don't know what will happen if he stays. But he would get drafted this year, late first round at best but this is where he needs to figure out how much he can improve on that.

With the minimal improvement from last year to this year he may not improve a ton into next year which would make him a second rounder at best.
I think Lydon actually improved a lot, but knew he was going to have to grind for 40 minutes a game and sacrificed his numbers for the team.

Also, his guards were pathetic at involving his post game in the offense.

In addition to the returning players, the coaching need to step up their game as well. At the most JAB has one more year left and then the baby birds are on their own.

Truer words have never been spoken.

This season was a systemic failure. Players and coaches.

We'll know by August, perhaps sooner, if next year's team has a chance to be successful. If we go into the year with Howard and Washington as our point guards, we're in trouble -- regardless if Lydon returns.

A list of SU guys who "needed to come back" in the past decade:
Donte
Jonny
Dion
MCW
Tyler Ennis, PhD
Jerami
CMac
Mali
and now...
Lydon

Guess what else they all shared in common? Besides "needing to come back"? ;)

We'll know by August, perhaps sooner, if next year's team has a chance to be successful. If we go into the year with Howard and Washington as our point guards, we're in trouble -- regardless if Lydon returns.

Agree 100%.

If we are not good next year, nobody will have any patience with Hopkins the following year if he starts to lose games.

A list of SU guys who "needed to come back" in the past decade:
Donte
Jonny
Dion
MCW
Tyler Ennis, PhD
Jerami
CMac
Mali
and now...
Lydon

Guess what else they all shared in common? Besides "needing to come back"? ;)

We are due for a break.

Battle being here will be huge. A top notch PG than can actually run an offense is a must. I'm not sure losing Lydon(even though he's packed with talent!) will hurt as much. It sounds a bit scary to say, but I'm ready to see Brissett and Moyer in that spot. They both don't have Tyler's skill, but they both play tough!! This team needs tough...oh and TT to figure out how to play defense!

Crap...that's a lot of question marks!!!!

I'm not even sure we need a top notch point guard. We need people that can dribble outside of Battle, we seem to have one, maybe two competent ball handlers per team of late, that may work, but only if the defense is off the charts good. If we could just get a PG, a genuine PG that isn't tremendously mistake prone - I'll take that right now.

If we have someone that can do enough to open up the game for Battle and Lydon (if he comes back) and just facilitate for the others, we would be far better off. Howard could be, but is insanely mistake prone, like next level mistake prone, and Washington, eh, who knows. Battle probably ends up as PG next year with a 5th year as SG. I'll make that guess!

I'm not even sure we need a top notch point guard. We need people that can dribble outside of Battle, we seem to have one, maybe two competent ball handlers per team of late, that may work, but only if the defense is off the charts good. If we could just get a PG, a genuine PG that isn't tremendously mistake prone - I'll take that right now.

If we have someone that can do enough to open up the game for Battle and Lydon (if he comes back) and just facilitate for the others, we would be far better off. Howard could be, but is insanely mistake prone, like next level mistake prone, and Washington, eh, who knows. Battle probably ends up as PG next year with a 5th year as SG. I'll make that guess!
Yeah if we don't find anyone that can run a capable offense, I think they'll be forced to try Tyus at 1, but he could be so dynamic as a 2! I have my fingers crossed they find someone else, or Frank figures out what's going on in his brain, or Washington is more prepared than everyone thinks! So many ifs, but I'm still going to have my usual high expectations( I don't know any other way!!) so if we struggle I'm going to struggle!!!

Yeah if we don't find anyone that can run a capable offense, I think they'll be forced to try Tyus at 1, but he could be so dynamic as a 2! I have my fingers crossed they find someone else, or Frank figures out what's going on in his brain, or Washington is more prepared than everyone thinks! So many ifs, but I'm still going to have my usual high expectations( I don't know any other way!!) so if we struggle I'm going to struggle!!!

We need a top notch lead guard or a top notch small forward with versatility, who can alleviate some of the playmaking burden. If we land the latter, I could see us going with a combo type at the 1, because we wouldn't be as reliant upon one player to facilitate the offense.

Total hypothetical example. Let's just say we land Ayala [who is a combo guard]. If we land a 3 who is similar to Battle in terms of versatility, I could see Ayala / Battle backcourt, even though neither of them is a classic point.

Signing Waters would give us a blue chip lead guard. I have to assume that we're looking hard at 5th year transfer market for 3's.

Saying he wouldn't be a big loss and you're ready to see Moyer and Brissett means? Sorry, it's comments like I quoted that make no sense.

When did I say he wouldn't be a big loss? I said he wouldn't be as big a loss as some are making his potential departure out to be. That's a gigantic difference.

You make it sound like I'd rather see Brisset and Moyer than Lydon and I didn't even come close to saying that at any point.

We need a top notch lead guard or a top notch small forward with versatility, who can alleviate some of the playmaking burden. If we land the latter, I could see us going with a combo type at the 1, because we wouldn't be as reliant upon one player to facilitate the offense.

Total hypothetical example. Let's just say we land Ayala [who is a combo guard]. If we land a 3 who is similar to Battle in terms of versatility, I could see Ayala / Battle backcourt, even though neither of them is a classic point.

Signing Waters would give us a blue chip lead guard. I have to assume that we're looking hard at 5th year transfer market for 3's.
No excuses to not be out recruiting big time now!!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom