NIT Bracketology | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

NIT Bracketology

The 81 NIT was the best, we went to the final, the community got completely behind that team that won the BE tourney but got screwed out of the NCAA. that run was actually a blast !!
We really weren’t screwed out of the dance, we had a bad year and won the Big East tournament at home. League still was new and an automatic bid wasn’t on the table yet.

We really weren’t screwed out of the dance, we had a bad year and won the Big East tournament at home. League still was new and an automatic bid wasn’t on the table yet.
agree/disagree Yes , it wasn’t an automatic bid yet…. but with our tourney wins many felt we deserved to be included on merit.

agree/disagree Yes , it wasn’t an automatic bid yet…. but with our tourney wins many felt we deserved to be included on merit.
I think we were like 15-11 on the year without beating a ranked team. Been many moons but I just remember it not being a real good regular season.

I think we were like 15-11 on the year without beating a ranked team. Been many moons but I just remember it not being a real good regular season.
18-11

777_ap02032603315.jpeg

But the BET was simply awesome, 3 OT v. Nova was one of the best games I ever saw live.

I'm for playing. Seeing reports of many opting out already: Pitt, St. Johns, Indiana, and more

When Syracuse was left out of the 1981 NCAAs after winning the first Big East Tournament in the Carrier Dome, it was not that controversial. The NCAA tourney had only featured 32 teams thru 1978, and until the 1974 ACC conference tournament final between #1 NC State and #4 Maryland, only one school from every conference received a bid. That ACC finals game caused the first real expansion of NCAA teams and 1981 was during the early years of tournament expansion. Most people outside of Syracuse did not consider our regular season record worthy of an at-large bid back then.

When Syracuse was left out of the 1981 NCAAs after winning the first Big East Tournament in the Carrier Dome, it was not that controversial. The NCAA tourney had only featured 32 teams thru 1978, and until the 1974 ACC conference tournament final between #1 NC State and #4 Maryland, only one school from every conference received a bid. That ACC finals game caused the first real expansion of NCAA teams and 1981 was during the early years of tournament expansion. Most people outside of Syracuse did not consider our regular season record worthy of an at-large bid back then.

How things changed for the BE in just 4 years.

House keeping issue: 1st BET was in Providence in 80 and we lost to Gtown in the 2nd round. 81 was the 2nd. Still not eligible to receive the auto bid. The 81 NIT run was awesome though with the exception of the stripes in the final.

In the end I think I approve of taking the NIT invitation.

The optics of "progress" in the program in Autry's first year might be worth something (maybe not much, but something) to various stakeholders including future players, and this is at least something tangible.

I went to the 1967 Final Four to see Kareem and UCLA play Elvin Hayes and Houston and you could buy tickets at Freedom Hall before tip-off. The popularity of college hoops really started to take off during the 1970s and absolutely exploded in 1979 during the Final Four featuring Larry Bird and Magic Johnson. I saw Michigan State lose to Kentucky in the 1978 Midwest Regional Finals and the difference between the buzz at those games a year apart was day and night. Go Cuse!

20 games?

Pretty sure that’s an 11-20 team at best.

Taylor is in a weird spot bc if he transfers he probably has to drop down to a Fairfield to start. Even A10 and he’s lucky to get 15 mins a night.

Why not stay if he wasn’t benched this year why would he be next?
What are you even asking me? Really strange response.

In the end I think I approve of taking the NIT invitation.

The optics of "progress" in the program in Autry's first year might be worth something (maybe not much, but something) to various stakeholders including future players, and this is at least something tangible.
What if a player or two decline and we lose to an awful team? That could stunt NIL dollars and support.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom