Nit is a very good and tough tournament. | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Nit is a very good and tough tournament.

No offense to the OP but have really fallen this far?

Frustrated Jack Nicholson GIF

This^

I couldn’t care less about any post season tournament other than the big dance. I’d rather just be done so the coaches can hammer recruiting and the portal. The off-season will make our break next season. A few more meaningless games against average teams has zero benefit in my opinion.
Don’t agree. Any additional games helps the players coming back next year. Getting to watch Syracuse playing more games is also great.

Very respectable. Realistically the Nit champ is easily a top 20 team at the end of the year. The NitF4 could be inserted into the Ncaa sweet 16 without a noticeable dropoff in quality games maybe improved.
If the Nit started today, our run to championship could look something like this...@Richmond @memphis~ Oregon~ Providence~ Pitt
I know, I know as a Cuse program every year NCAA or bust. But if we are being realistic, it's never gonna happen. Ups and downs. As years go by all programs deal with it. Be thankful our down years are .500 seasons. Look at USC this year...
PS...at the end of the day I write down what I'm most grateful for...today my 75 yr old healthy mother and Adrian autry is our head coach.

For Syracuse - not respectable. We should be thinking NCAA tourney every season. I remember being upset we were "only" a 5 seed a few years. Now I'll take anything. The day I'm clamoring for an NIT bid, is the day SU hoops has truly fallen off the map.

To say "Realistically the Nit champ is easily a top 20 team at the end of the year" is very factually inaccurate. Top 20 teams are top 5 seeds in the NCAA tourney. The NIT champ AT BEST, is top 40-45. Let's not sugarcoat this thing. Being in the NIT stinks, and we need to, and should, expect more in seasons to come.

For Syracuse - not respectable. We should be thinking NCAA tourney every season. I remember being upset we were "only" a 5 seed a few years. Now I'll take anything. The day I'm clamoring for an NIT bid, is the day SU hoops has truly fallen off the map.

To say "Realistically the Nit champ is easily a top 20 team at the end of the year" is very factually inaccurate. Top 20 teams are top 5 seeds in the NCAA tourney. The NIT champ AT BEST, is top 40-45. Let's not sugarcoat this thing. Being in the NIT stinks, and we need to, and should, expect more in seasons to come.

I think everyone agrees. The NCAA is the goal and falling short of that stinks. We should expect the NCAAT every year, yes. But here we are so we might as well embrace it. Winning the NIT would be kind of cool, adding us to the list of Schools who have won both tournaments.

I just don't get the lot that says they wont watch a Syracuse game if it's an NIT game. If the Orange is on the floor I am watching. NIT, Final Four, Exhibition vs Marathon Oil. Doesn't matter.

Not everyone has the same level of passion for Syracuse. Regardless of tournament this IS our best team in 3 years. They are incredibly frustrating at times but also fun at times (The Q circus shots, Bell when he gets hot, Judah when he creates). To say "Nope, I'm done with Syracuse this season" because they are in the NIT instead of the NCAA? Well, that person is simply a lesser fan. Syracuse means less to them if they choose not to watch.

Very respectable. Realistically the Nit champ is easily a top 20 team at the end of the year. The NitF4 could be inserted into the Ncaa sweet 16 without a noticeable dropoff in quality games maybe improved.
If the Nit started today, our run to championship could look something like this...@Richmond @memphis~ Oregon~ Providence~ Pitt
I know, I know as a Cuse program every year NCAA or bust. But if we are being realistic, it's never gonna happen. Ups and downs. As years go by all programs deal with it. Be thankful our down years are .500 seasons. Look at USC this year...
PS...at the end of the day I write down what I'm most grateful for...today my 75 yr old healthy mother and Adrian autry is our head coach.
I think things are totally different now in the portal era. When we went to the NIT in 2002, I think it really was a springboard to our national championship. The returning players had a few more weeks of practice and won a few more games. But now, who knows who will be back and I wouldn't be surprised if some players even chose not to play.

Personally, even though the NIT is a huge let down and really isn't something to be particularly proud of, I'd rather watch SU play more games than start the excruciatingly long countdown to next season prematurely. And heck, if we could actually win the whole thing, I'd be a little excited. Winning anything is fun.

This is the definition of rationalization.

I think everyone agrees. The NCAA is the goal and falling short of that stinks. We should expect the NCAAT every year, yes. But here we are so we might as well embrace it. Winning the NIT would be kind of cool, adding us to the list of Schools who have won both tournaments.

I just don't get the lot that says they wont watch a Syracuse game if it's an NIT game. If the Orange is on the floor I am watching. NIT, Final Four, Exhibition vs Marathon Oil. Doesn't matter.

Not everyone has the same level of passion for Syracuse. Regardless of tournament this IS our best team in 3 years. They are incredibly frustrating at times but also fun at times (The Q circus shots, Bell when he gets hot, Judah when he creates). To say "Nope, I'm done with Syracuse this season" because they are in the NIT instead of the NCAA? Well, that person is simply a lesser fan. Syracuse means less to them if they choose not to watch.

I definitely agree with a lot of what you say. I'll still watch them, but unfortunately it just doesn't carry that same sort of excitement that an NCAA tournament game does. It's a very frustrating time to be an SU fan. But like you, I think better days are on the horizon, provided we can keep the core of this team intact and find another player or 2, specifically a big and a shooter.

What are our chances of getting into the NIT? Even before the Clemson game I didn't think it was realistic that we'd get into the NCAAT even if we had beaten Clemson. We can not like the NET but it is reality. Our losses by large margins hurt us. I read when they changed the NIT that the power conferences are guaranteed at least 2 bids. That means the fewer ACC teams on the bubble that get into the NCAAT the more likely they'll get into the NIT ahead of us. How far down the NET rankings is the NIT likely to go? Any thoughts?

I definitely agree with a lot of what you say. I'll still watch them, but unfortunately it just doesn't carry that same sort of excitement that an NCAA tournament game does. It's a very frustrating time to be an SU fan. But like you, I think better days are on the horizon, provided we can keep the core of this team intact and find another player or 2, specifically a big and a shooter.
Oh for sure it’s disappointing as a fan seeing your team miss the tournament for three straight years. However, we hit rock bottom a year or two ago and are heading in the right direction. Next year, the goal has to be make the tournament and I think they will. Look at programs like DePaul, BC and Georgetown who can’t get themselves out of the pit of despair. The fact that we are a 20 win team and 11 win conference team in Red’s first season says a lot.

I think it'll be good for our guys to get experience in an elimination setting against halfway decent teams, but we don't need to pretend that the winner is a top 20 squad. We also don't need to pretend that if we happen to win a couple games it somehow means we should've made the tournament.

Last edited:
Once we have a thread talking positively about the NIT, we have succumbed to lower expectations.

I’ll root for Cuse each and every game, but no one cares about the NIT. I’ve never seen a “Junior Varisty State Champions” t-shirt.

I care about it from the standpoint its a postseason tournament that gives the players and coaches extra games against good teams to play, coach and grow. I also hope we go deep into the bracket.

I won't watch any other games than ours tho becuase it is a nothing burger otherwise.

Last edited:
Will players start to sit out NIT games like they do CFB bowl games? Maybe to avoid injury and/or get a head start on portalpalooza?

Cody Williams (COL)
Devin Carter (PROV)
Kel'el Ware (UI)
Tristan da Silva (COL)
Carlton Carrington (PITT)
KJ Simpson (COL)
Hunter Sallis (WFU)
Ryan Dunn (UVA)
Payton Sandfort (IOWA)

All projected top-40 picks (via BR) on bubble teams.

Sidenote: Colorado really underachieved vis-a-vis their talent.

Ma, I made it!

Screenshot 2024-03-06 at 2.09.02 PM.jpg

Nobody cares about the NIT, it’s for scrubs who couldn’t make the big dance.

Once we have a thread talking positively about the NIT, we have succumbed to lower expectations.

I’ll root for Cuse each and every game, but no one cares about the NIT. I’ve never seen a “Junior Varisty State Champions” t-shirt.
Come on. Why can’t people have reasonable expectations for this season, which is a transitionary year? It doesn’t mean those will be the expectations in future years. It’s only Red’s first year at the helm and he was thrown into the fire. Yes, next year we need to be a tournament team. It took Hurley three years at UConn to make the NCAAs, fyi.

So now I'm "not a fan" if I don't watch an NIT game?

This place has the weirdest purity tests.

I think the sentiment is that you're still a fan. But in choosing not to watch a Syracuse game you have no claim to be a better fan, or equal to someone who watches them through the thick and thin (and NIT).

Kind of like the football fans who held seasons through all the horrible years. Do they look at the casual who chooses raking leaves as opposed to watching a 1-7 team as their equals in Syracuse fanhood? Nope, nor should they.

When people pop on the board and scoff "I'll never watch Syracuse in the NIT" or "the season is over with the ACCT" The fans who stay aboard the ship until the end obviously would deem that person as a lesser fan. Watching Syracuse simply isn't as important to them if they tie restrictions to what types of Syracuse games they do watch.

I think the sentiment is that you're still a fan. But in choosing not to watch a Syracuse game you have no claim to be a better fan, or equal to someone who watches them through the thick and thin (and NIT).

Kind of like the football fans who held seasons through all the horrible years. Do they look at the casual who chooses raking leaves as opposed to watching a 1-7 team as their equals in Syracuse fanhood? Nope, nor should they.

When people pop on the board and scoff "I'll never watch Syracuse in the NIT" or "the season is over with the ACCT" The fans who stay aboard the ship until the end obviously would deem that person as a lesser fan. Watching Syracuse simply isn't as important to them if they tie restrictions to what types of Syracuse games they do watch.
There's no prize for being a "bigger" fan compared to a smaller fan. You don't get a discount on tickets or gear if you can prove you attended every game of the GRob era, last I checked.

Will you get a different emotional high when your team breaks through if you've invested energy over decades and through rough times compared to a bandwagoner? Sure I guess, but I don't see why that should matter.

There's no prize for being a "bigger" fan compared to a smaller fan. You don't get a discount on tickets or gear if you can prove you attended every game of the GRob era, last I checked.

Will you get a different emotional high when your team breaks through if you've invested energy over decades and through rough times compared to a bandwagoner? Sure I guess, but I don't see why that should matter.
Exactly. That is the prize. It's what the die hards can hold onto in the times of agony. It will all be worth it because they endured.

All the while enjoying the bits of success sprinkled in.

All games are played in Indianapolis this season at the "Historic" Hinkle Fieldhouse (Butler)
Ah to bad. Not sure I can make that trip. Iowa is only an 80 minute drive and Drake is about 3 hours. Oh well.

Ah to bad. Not sure I can make that trip. Iowa is only an 80 minute drive and Drake is about 3 hours. Oh well.
You’re may be in luck. All games are NOT being played at Hinckle. Just the Final Four.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom