No change is going to occur after this season IMO | Syracusefan.com

No change is going to occur after this season IMO

Alsacs

Living Legend
I am frustrated but I am convinced more than ever after these past few days.
The brothers may not come back but JB isn’t going anywhere and the AD won’t press for any changes. I feel it will take till after next year for changes to happen.

We better upgrade the roster but I can’t have confidence till I see it. Nor do I expect JB to admit he built a bad roster this year.

Even if JB had a decent roster I don’t have much faith he would use them properly anymore. I don’t think he has it in him anymore. Our ceiling under JB has been and still is a bubble team.
This is a bigger concern IMO. Of course, we haven't really been able to test this recently because the rosters have been so strangely constructed.

The brothers may not come back but JB isn’t going anywhere and the AD won’t press for any changes. I feel it will take till after next year for changes to happen.

We better upgrade the roster but I can’t have confidence till I see it. Nor do I expect JB to admit he built a bad roster this year.

Things aren’t looking great but I’ve been of the theory there’s a controlled downside with the natural timeline of him stepping away with his boys.

If his boys leave but he stays then the dam has been blown out and the potential downside of this getting pretty ugly grows substantially.

I think Jim is going to do well next year. He might be stubborn and arrogant but hes not stupid.
His kids being gone will help immensely. I predict we make the dance and Jim actually comes back for one more year.
I predict 2 more years for Jim and think hes going to do well.

I think he will be back too and I am not 100% sold the brothers won't be. That said if he does come back expectations will be at their lowest ever so I am just going to change my success threshold. Player development over wins - sadly that has not been the program's focus but we shall see.

I think Jim is going to do well next year. He might be stubborn and arrogant but hes not stupid.
His kids being gone will help immensely. I predict we make the dance and Jim actually comes back for one more year.
I tend to believe this too. He deserves to go out on a winning note and I have no doubt, he can recover with a slightly better roster next year (that doesn't include the considerations of coaching his own sons). But we won't know until the day he steps down. He will never want a farewell tour and he wont be forced into a retirement date again. I'd be shocked if that gets done as it'll be against his wishes.

Even when his kids weren’t here he still operated this way going back a few years.

I’m pretty sure JB said once that he’s not into “farewell tours” and would evaluate whether he wants to continue coaching after the season is over. My guess is he ruminates over the spring and summer then decides whether he wants to coach another year. Like others have said that leaves the AD little choice but to appoint one of the Assistants as Interim Coach for the next season while a proper search is conducted if JB decides to retire that way. Not really an optimal situation for the university or the team.

The issues with Jim LONG predate Buddy and Jimmy. This is a program circling the drain. I have no idea how anyone can be optimistic about next year. It's very possible that our 2 best players, Buddy & Jesse, are both gone. No impact Frosh coming in and nobody has developed (i.e. Benny) because they never get the chance to play. Next year is looking even worse than this year.

How will it look for one's legacy if the boys move on and next year's team is much improved, asking for a friend.
It's not going to be unless we hit the portal hard.

You guys think the kids are the main problem. It is not. It's coaching decisions. These coaching decisions have been consistent going back to at least the 13-14 season long before his kids were here.

He's been not playing the bench for years. Fans were mad Cooney, Howard, Battle, Brissett all were iron men. We will still have iron men without the kids and run whoever into the ground.

He didn't play real centers. Lydon and Dolezaj come to mind.

We have not played a real pg since 2014.

We were angry that Howard, Edwards, Newton, Goodine, Braswell, Moyer, Roberson, and Richmond didn't get more time off the bench. There will be players next year we will not be happy about getting more time.

Last edited:

I think you’re probably right. I don’t know if Wildhack has the stones or backing to push JB out, and will JB want to go out on such a terrible season? He always said he would retire when he didn’t think he could win (or win at a high level?) anymore. He is there now because he’s having trouble getting the players he needs. If he does come back and only one (or none) of the brothers comes back, how do you think he can do in the portal? Do you think he can attract a couple of good players—maybe an athletic wing who can score and a good PG with good penetrating skills? Because I don’t think any of the freshman (outside of maybe Bunch) will be ready to contribute in year 1.

I’m pretty sure JB said once that he’s not into “farewell tours” and would evaluate whether he wants to continue coaching after the season is over. My guess is he ruminates over the spring and summer then decides whether he wants to coach another year. Like others have said that leaves the AD little choice but to appoint one of the Assistants as Interim Coach for the next season while a proper search is conducted if JB decides to retire that way. Not really an optimal situation for the university or the team.

There are 3 ways to announce your retirement:

1. The Coach K Method. Announce a retirement tour for your last season.
2. The Roy Williams Method. Hold the press conference on April 1 and get it over with.
3. The **** You Method. Wait until Media Day in September and quit.

JB doesn't want #1, and I really don't see him pulling a #3.

That leaves a retirement presser right after the season ends.

Might be April 1, 2022. Might be April 1, 2023.

The issues with Jim LONG predate Buddy and Jimmy. This is a program circling the drain. I have no idea how anyone can be optimistic about next year. It's very possible that our 2 best players, Buddy & Jesse, are both gone. No impact Frosh coming in and nobody has developed (i.e. Benny) because they never get the chance to play. Next year is looking even worse than this year.
Jesse? Why is he likely gone?

images

There are 3 ways to announce your retirement:

1. The Coach K Method. Announce a retirement tour for your last season.
2. The Roy Williams Method. Hold the press conference on April 1 and get it over with.
3. The **** You Method. Wait until Media Day in September and quit.

JB doesn't want #1, and I really don't see him pulling a #3.

That leaves a retirement presser right after the season ends.

Might be April 1, 2022. Might be April 1, 2023.
100%. How ‘23 recruits have signed again?!

I just can’t see JB letting this be his last year.
He won’t get rid of an assistant but if he did for some reason i think Autry would be the most likely.

We can want to hit the portal but what type of kid can we get with this HC.

I just feel next year it’s going to take a worse season than this one to get change.
Getting to 1k this year would help.

Buddy just said he was done and i dont think he does that without his Dad knowing. Jimmy wont be granted a sixth year and his Dad said he didnt want it so that one is odd. Either way i think we do well if kids dont leave.
Q at the 1
Joey at the 2
Frosh at 3
Benny 4
Jess 5

Nice bench with Symir backing up the 1, Kid from VA at the 2, Frank and the Frosh at the 5, Frosh at the 3 and 4. Team gets in with a 9 seed and wins one in the dance.

With how JB has preferred things of recent, we walk into next year with 5 frosh, Joe and Symir. Unknowns will be around Jesse, Frank and Benny as well as the petition by Jimmy for year 6. That is possibly 11 guys there. No idea on Cole either which makes 12. Hard to see any additions from the portal unless room opens up via guys leaving.

Joe appears to have hit his ceiling as a PG absent maybe doing what he did early on this year for a whole year.

Symir looks to be developing with more upside left.

Jesse is some more strength from being an elite big man nationally.

Frank needs that same opportunity Jesse got to develop. Not sure if he sticks it out.

Benny we don't know enough yet.

Jimmy isn't getting any better and unlikely Cole does either.

The new class doesn't have a stud. Already a setback with Carey being hurt and not playing. No one is setting the world on fire so it's hard to project the impact of this group. We really need 2 or 3 of them to come in and outperform their rankings.

If there is to be improvement it's gotta be the freshmen who are the reason via overcoming the experience that does come back.

If they can't and more than expected do come back- next year most assuredly looks uglier than this year.

Buddy just said he was done and i dont think he does that without his Dad knowing. Jimmy wont be granted a sixth year and his Dad said he didnt want it so that one is odd. Either way i think we do well if kids dont leave.
Q at the 1
Joey at the 2
Frosh at 3
Benny 4
Jess 5

Nice bench with Symir backing up the 1, Kid from VA at the 2, Frank and the Frosh at the 5, Frosh at the 3 and 4. Team gets in with a 9 seed and wins one in the dance.
Having a freshman start at PG is a recipe for disaster.
I honestly see Symir starting. 9 seed is very hopeful, not a lot of scoring in that lineup

Q at the 1
Joey at the 2
Frosh at 3
Benny 4
Jess 5

That team is not good. Girard will make Buddy look gun shy with that roster. Benny has shown nothing to be a 2nd or 3rd scorer. We would be lucky to have the record we have now.

Q at the 1
Joey at the 2
Frosh at 3
Benny 4
Jess 5

I love, love, love Copeland's potential, but I don't know if he'll be ready to handle the point in year one.

I'm going to switch this up --

Symir PG
JG3 CG
Copeland G/F
Benny WF
Jesse C

Assuming of course Benny stays. Although I don't like Frank as the 4, if he also returns I'd have to think that he'd make a big push to start.

EDIT: much better defensive potential, but where do the points come from?

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom