No change is going to occur after this season IMO | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

No change is going to occur after this season IMO

Jesse? Why is he likely gone?
"I thought from the beginning when he came to Syracuse, it would take him three years to be able to be a contributor. We need him to do more, but I don’t think he’s capable of it." - Jim Boeheim on Jesse Edwards

As a player, you can only take being thrown under the bus so many times before you reach a breaking point. Jesse could enter the portal and be one of the most sought after players. Yet here, he's a scape goat for the 78 year old man in charge.

"I thought from the beginning when he came to Syracuse, it would take him three years to be able to be a contributor. We need him to do more, but I don’t think he’s capable of it." - Jim Boeheim on Jesse Edwards

As a player, you can only take being thrown under the bus so many times before you reach a breaking point. Jesse could enter the portal and be one of the most sought after players. Yet here, he's a scape goat for the 78 year old man in charge.

Of course he doesn't get into why he needs Jesse to do more. He constructed the roster. He placed the emphasis on the focal point being about perimeter shooting prowess. Now it's the big man not giving us 18 and 10 a game to try and make up for the shortcomings elsewhere- of which were his choices..

It's one thing had we walked into this season and the narrative is Jesse is a focal point of our offense.. that I would get the criticism. This is just weird.

Of course he doesn't get into why he needs Jesse to do more. He constructed the roster. He placed the emphasis on the focal point being about perimeter shooting prowess. Now it's the big man not giving us 18 and 10 a game to try and make up for the shortcomings elsewhere- of which were his choices..

It's one thing had we walked into this season and the narrative is Jesse is a focal point of our offense.. that I would get the criticism. This is just weird.
The HC will accept blame in the most passive aggressive manner and then it won’t be allowed to be asked again without an angry response.

I love, love, love Copeland's potential, but I don't know if he'll be ready to handle the point in year one.

I'm going to switch this up --

Symir PG
JG3 CG
Copeland G/F
Benny WF
Jesse C

Assuming of course Benny stays. Although I don't like Frank as the 4, if he also returns I'd have to think that he'd make a big push to start.

EDIT: much better defensive potential, but where do the points come from?

Agree I don't think Copeland stats at PG but I don't thin he contribute smuh next year anyway. Long term great but short ter he is way to miststake prone.

My lineup:
PG: Symir
2G: Joe
F: Benny
F: Transfer
C: jesse

if we make a splash and land a big time transfer at forward that can create offense we will be pretty good. Otherwise games like the at Pitt game will be the norm.

Cuse!

Even if JB had a decent roster I don’t have much faith he would use them properly anymore. I don’t think he has it in him anymore. Our ceiling under JB has been and still is a bubble team.

This.

If his kids are ran back, it's going to be part 2 of this year.

I am girding for a number of existing players to leave via the portal... and possibly some decommits in the upcoming class after this season... thanks largely to the benny public doghouse display and continued badmouthing of the best center we've had in almost a decade.

Hit the portal hard back?? Hope springs eternal... but it usually takes new players most of the season to learn the zone properly anyways and if we get a crop of marginally athletic, complimentary 20-mins-a-game players again, well, rinse and repeat I'm afraid.

That said, I am looking forward to football for once!

It makes absolutely zero sense. Nothing Jim does or says anymore makes sense. This isn't the first time he's publicly criticized Jesse. I especially loved the one where he chastised him for not "covering the corners" in his beloved zone. So dumb.

The HC will accept blame in the most passive aggressive manner and then it won’t be allpwed to be asked again.

And also don't forget.. the boys know how to play, Joe knows how to play, Cole knows how to play...not worried about them because they have experience and know what to do...

Or something like that.

I know everyone is upset with Benny's playing time (and this team stinks) but on any other SU team his minutes would be deserved. He's very raw and the game is way too fast for him right now. He has 5 star athleticism no question, but he was over rated as a 5 star player.

If he's here next year he might start by default because there will literally be no one else, but I think it's a reach. He won't start over Swider unless there's a new coach.

Last edited:
And also don't forget.. the boys know how to play, Joe knows how to play, Cole knows how to play...not worried about them because they have experience and know what to do...

Or something like that.
I laughed way too hard at this

Next year's class will add a lot more physicality and athleticism and overall should be a much more athletic team absent Joe. So effectively unless one or two guys emerge as offensive threats and/or consistent shooters we could swap ken pom rankings of offense/defense.

The Portal changes how you coach today's athletes... Hamilton at Florida St gets it... kids want to be in the rotation... Boehiem isn't going to change which is why he should step away

I can't argue with JB's rotation philosophy up until now. The guy has never played for the future, he's always played to win right now and his results speak for themselves. But in today's world you need to adapt with the transfer portal (ie have a deeper bench) or your roster is always going to be a mess.

Having a freshman start at PG is a recipe for disaster.
I honestly see Symir starting. 9 seed is very hopeful, not a lot of scoring in that lineup
Copeland is such a better pg now. He is a major improvement

It's folly to project next year's rotation.

Hell, everyone had Benny starting over Cole and Jimmy last season.

The incoming class is pretty much JAB of the last 7-8 years, so I do think he plans on coaching next season - but then again Ol' Roy had a couple of recruits coming in as well as a a decent roster set up. It's not like everyone left when he retired.

Copeland is such a better pg now. He is a major improvement

More than likely he is a more engaging positive version of Frank Howard as a frosh. In no way a knock on the kid but don't see him coming in and having everyone think of him like they did Kadary as a frosh.

Agree I don't think Copeland stats at PG but I don't thin he contribute smuh next year anyway. Long term great but short ter he is way to miststake prone.

My lineup:
PG: Symir
2G: Joe
F: Benny
F: Transfer
C: jesse

if we make a splash and land a big time transfer at forward that can create offense we will be pretty good. Otherwise games like the at Pitt game will be the norm.

Cuse!

Copeland is my favorite Freshman from the class.
He is perfect for the zone. 6’6 point guard. Long and athletic. His defense will do wonders for us at the top of the zone.

He’s also a great ball handler. Can get to the rim and draw fouls. Is a really good passer.

He “should” get plenty of minutes next season at the point.

I am frustrated but I am convinced more than ever after these past few days.
The brothers may not come back but JB isn’t going anywhere and the AD won’t press for any changes. I feel it will take till after next year for changes to happen.

We better upgrade the roster but I can’t have confidence till I see it. Nor do I expect JB to admit he built a bad roster this year.
Alsacs, didnt you bump the Contract Status thread? Which looks like there is nothing agreed or announced beyond this season.

I think its undecided despite what he may have said, and I wonder how JB will handle the various factors of coaching his sons, them moving on, possible losing season, outside noise getting louder, possible boos, possible empty dome some games, changing landscape w portal and NIL, and advanced age with all this going on.

Alsacs, didnt you bump the Contract Status thread? Which looks like there is nothing agreed or announced beyond this season.

I think its undecided despite what he may have said, and I wonder how JB will handle the various factors of coaching his sons, them moving on, possible losing season, outside noise getting louder, possible boos, possible empty dome some games, changing landscape w portal and NIL, and advanced age with all this going on.
Reading that thread is amazing. How little JB changed.

Buddy just said he was done and i dont think he does that without his Dad knowing. Jimmy wont be granted a sixth year and his Dad said he didnt want it so that one is odd. Either way i think we do well if kids dont leave.
Q at the 1
Joey at the 2
Frosh at 3
Benny 4
Jess 5

Nice bench with Symir backing up the 1, Kid from VA at the 2, Frank and the Frosh at the 5, Frosh at the 3 and 4. Team gets in with a 9 seed and wins one in the dance.
I’m not sure that team wins 5 games. I’m not kidding.

I’m not sure that team wins 5 games. I’m not kidding.
The Office Smile GIF

His defense is as bad as Joe’s He’s just taller.
And you’ve watched him play defense in a 2/3 zone?
That’s something you learn along the way. He has all the tools to be a great defender for us. His length and athleticism for one. He also racks up a ton of steals and blocks in high school. Quick hands.

Jesse? Why is he likely gone?
I thought Jesse wanted to go to med school eventually. I can see him riding out one more season at Cuse then grad transfer for that extra year.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom