No change is going to occur after this season IMO | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

No change is going to occur after this season IMO

If JT makes a jump between now and November I could see him getting burn next to Joe on top of the zone. Symir will get the token start but I’m sure JB won’t be able to help himself playing Joe at pg.

I like our class, don't love it. I love Q, I think he will be good, but don't think he'll be a day one starter.

We don't have an ESPN 100 kid for next year.

I also wouldn't bet money on Frank, Jesse or Benny as being confirmed next year (not based on inside info, just using previous track record). I'm assuming JBA is 100% gone. I'm assuming Cole is gone. I'm assuming Buddy is gone. I think the starting lineup could be:

Sy
Joe
TBD
TBD
TBD

If Jimmy is cleared, slot him in.

If Jesse stays, slot him in.

I have no idea from the frosh who can contribute outside of breaking glass in case of emergency. I don't see any of them being huge contributors, but maybe?

BTW, the ESPN 60 for 2023, Duke (obviously), UNC and NC State all have commits from that list. Even UConn does.

I can't believe anyone is slotting in Benny as of now.

We can definitely fill roles through the portal, but we aren't going to get an NBA top five pick there.

There is a lot to be confirmed and filled in. I am very worried.

I mean our problems is that there is nothing behind the 5 starters who are solid but just misused. Symir isn't that good but losing him means we can't compete at all. Williams is unplayable and probably our biggest recruiting bust ever. Anselem and JBA haven't improved over 3 years. You could have 5 future NBA players starting for us and we'd still lose games because the bench is that brutal.

JB could very easily put his ego aside and retool the team to be good next year. Buddy and Jimmy will score a ton of points and we should make the tournament. We aren't that bad this year the coach just gutted the roster for some idiotic reason.

It just feels like a great time to move on with UNC, Ville, and Duke changing coaches and UVA stalling a little. If Wildhack makes a deal with an elite coach you thank JB and make the hire. If the top 2-3 targets have cold feet JB returns and we announce the farewell tour.

We can only run back Daddyball next year IF its the Jim Boeheim farewell tour though the coaches roster decisions this year eroded too much goodwill he has to announce that next year is it before the season.

I just can’t see JB letting this be his last year.
He won’t get rid of an assistant but if he did for some reason i think Autry would be the most likely.

We can want to hit the portal but what type of kid can we get with this HC.

I just feel next year it’s going to take a worse season than this one to get change.
Getting to 1k this year would help.
I agree this will not be his last year. He can not live going out with a losing season. Also getting win number 1000 for the second time seems to be a reach this season. Next year's incoming frosh plus Jesse and Joe at the 2 should give us a good base to build from. No idea how the ACs will sort out but it would be a step in the right direction to turnover at least one AC.

I agree this will not be his last year. He can not live going out with a losing season. Also getting win number 1000 for the second time seems to be a reach this season. Next year's incoming frosh plus Jesse and Joe at the 2 should give us a good base to build from. No idea how the ACs will sort out but it would be a step in the right direction to turnover at least one AC.
Build what? Every year we think we are building something. We never get past the building stage because guys decide to transfer because they decide this isn't the place for them. If we had just kept last years team we might be 16-4 and in second place in the ACC. I am not confident JB can build anything anymore. He hasn't proved it in quite some time.

Build what? Every year we think we are building something. We never get past the building stage because guys decide to transfer because they decide this isn't the place for them. If we had just kept last years team we might be 16-4 and in second place in the ACC. I am not confident JB can build anything anymore. He hasn't proved it in quite some time.
Bingo, kids today aren't patient for a build. Its I want to play, and if no, there's the portal for me

There's a reason i see more coaches playing 9-10 guys. They want to keep as many of them engaged and not transferring.

Copeland is my favorite Freshman from the class.
He is perfect for the zone. 6’6 point guard. Long and athletic. His defense will do wonders for us at the top of the zone.

He’s also a great ball handler. Can get to the rim and draw fouls. Is a really good passer.

He “should” get plenty of minutes next season at the point.
Sounds very much like a person that played for the Orange last year who's name we should not mention!

Agree I don't think Copeland stats at PG but I don't thin he contribute smuh next year anyway. Long term great but short ter he is way to miststake prone.

My lineup:
PG: Symir
2G: Joe
F: Benny
F: Transfer
C: jesse

if we make a splash and land a big time transfer at forward that can create offense we will be pretty good. Otherwise games like the at Pitt game will be the norm.

Cuse!
Kind of scary when you first look at this, like why don't we do this now? Regardless, unless the 'Transfer" is of "Larry Bird" caliber we will be hurting.

Bingo, kids today arent patient for a build. Its I want to play, and if no, theres the portal for me
meh, people say this, but the vast majority of the portal transfers are marginal players at best, especially the SU kids so far, which is more indicative of a general failure in talent evaluation. If 5% of the 1,000 players portal kids can start on a P5 team, I'd be surprised.

It's not going to be unless we hit the portal hard.

You guys think the kids are the main problem. It is not. It's coaching decisions. These coaching decisions have been consistent going back to at least the 13-14 season long before his kids were here.

He's been not playing the bench for years. Fans were mad Cooney, Howard, Battle, Brissett all were iron men. We will still have iron men without the kids and run whoever into the ground.

He didn't play real centers. Lydon and Dolezaj come to mind.

We have not played a real pg since 2014.

We were angry that Howard, Edwards, Newton, Goodine, Braswell, Moyer, Roberson, and Richmond didn't get more time off the bench. There will be players next year we will not be happy about getting more time.
You're right. The kids are NOT the problem. But coach refusing to recruit over his boys IS THE PROBLEM.

And you’ve watched him play defense in a 2/3 zone?
That’s something you learn along the way. He has all the tools to be a great defender for us. His length and athleticism for one. He also racks up a ton of steals and blocks in high school. Quick hands.
People have hard on for him because he's long but all video and reports about his defense are that it's terrible. Doesn't matter if we've seen which type of defense, you can use that as an argument because no one can say they have but it's a ridiculous argument to make for someone that seems to not be interested in defense at all. I will be absolutely stunned if he makes an impact as a Freshman. He's not a top 100 kid and it's not like he has played at some random, under the radar places his whole high school career. With the way that he plays I'd bet there's a way better chance he's in JB's doghouse then rotation next year if the old man keeps on plugging along.

I like our class, don't love it. I love Q, I think he will be good, but don't think he'll be a day one starter.

So you inspired me to look, counting class of '22 since thats all but signed sealed and delivered, we haven't had a top 20 recruiting class in 6 years (per 247)... and top 20 isn't exactly a high bar for a basketball school. The hughe-kulele reallly saved Cuse the last couple years

Unless we pull a rabit out of the portal mark me down for being negative next year as well

Last edited:
Might I suggest using the term "Pitino the portal" moving forward?

Copeland is my favorite Freshman from the class.
He is perfect for the zone. 6’6 point guard. Long and athletic. His defense will do wonders for us at the top of the zone.

He’s also a great ball handler. Can get to the rim and draw fouls. Is a really good passer.

He “should” get plenty of minutes next season at the point.
There's a reason he is not rated in the top 100. I think some of us are so desperately hoping things will improve that we unrealistically raise our expectations for the next crop of players. I get it. It's human nature - we don't want to crush all hope.

So you inspired me to look, counting class of '22 since thats all but signed sealed and delivered, we haven't had a top 20 recruiting class in 6 years (per 247)... and top 20 isn't exactly a high bar for a basketball school. The hughe-kulele reallly saved Cuse the last couple years

Unless we pull a rabit out of the portal mark me down for being negative next year as well

They have us 24th right now.

People have hard on for him because he's long but all video and reports about his defense are that it's terrible. Doesn't matter if we've seen which type of defense, you can use that as an argument because no one can say they have but it's a ridiculous argument to make for someone that seems to not be interested in defense at all. I will be absolutely stunned if he makes an impact as a Freshman. He's not a top 100 kid and it's not like he has played at some random, under the radar places his whole high school career. With the way that he plays I'd bet there's a way better chance he's in JB's doghouse then rotation next year if the old man keeps on plugging along.
You seem to just be pulling crap out of the air about Copelands defense. Everything I have read about him is all good. Even watching his videos makes me like him more. I would like to know exactly where you are getting your info about his supposedly bad defense?

From his HS coach —
"Quadir is a long, athletic, playmaking point guard. His size and vision allow him to make plays for others that a lot of point guards can’t make. He is capable of getting to the paint and making plays for himself and teammates. His length on defense allows him to guard multiple positions in the modern game of basketball where a lot of people switch. His length will also cause havoc at the top of the Syracuse 2-3 zone.” - IMG post graduate head coach Chad Myers

From Adam Zagoria —
“Copeland has some pro potential,” Zagoria said. “Any time you’re a 6-6 point guard, I think that’s perfect for today’s game.”

meh, people say this, but the vast majority of the portal transfers are marginal players at best, especially the SU kids so far, which is more indicative of a general failure in talent evaluation. If 5% of the 1,000 players portal kids can start on a P5 team, I'd be surprised.
And the vast majority of all players, whether they are transfers or not, are what are called by coaches and scouts as JAGs. Just Another Guy. They look great in HS but its a big difference in how they look in college.

The number of elite and all conference talents are few and select

You seem to just be pulling crap out of the air about Copelands defense. Everything I have read about him is all good. Even watching his videos makes me like him more. I would like to know exactly where you are getting your info about his supposedly bad defense?

From his HS coach —
"Quadir is a long, athletic, playmaking point guard. His size and vision allow him to make plays for others that a lot of point guards can’t make. He is capable of getting to the paint and making plays for himself and teammates. His length on defense allows him to guard multiple positions in the modern game of basketball where a lot of people switch. His length will also cause havoc at the top of the Syracuse 2-3 zone.” - IMG post graduate head coach Chad Myers

From Adam Zagoria —
“Copeland has some pro potential,” Zagoria said. “Any time you’re a 6-6 point guard, I think that’s perfect for today’s game.”
From the people that have actually watched his games and posted about them on here. His HS coach isn't JB so he's obviously not going to talk bad about him. It's not hard to get excited about highlight videos.

There's a reason he is not rated in the top 100. I think some of us are so desperately hoping things will improve that we unrealistically raise our expectations for the next crop of players. I get it. It's human nature - we don't want to crush all hope.
I mean yeah there is a lot of truth to that. But I have watched enough basketball in my day, pro and college. I know talent when I see it. If I could build a prototype for a Syracuse PG. He would come out as Quadir Copeland.

Is he ready to start from day one? Maybe not. But give him some minutes behind Joe and Symir to learn and get used to college his first year. Then when Joe and Symir graduate he could be our starter.

From the people that have actually watched his games and posted about them on here. His HS coach isn't JB so he's obviously not going to talk bad about him. It's not hard to get excited about highlight videos.
That’s ok. You keep that opinion. I have my opinion and I think the kid will be fantastic here.
I’m going by my own eyes and what I’m reading about him. It’s all good stuff. It’s ok to be optimistic from time to time.

I believe he is severely underrated. You will see next season.

Yeah, again, I like the class. I just don't know how much impact next year we'll get from them. Again, I think Q's ceiling is way high. I really like him. I just don't think it's going to come into play next year.

I think we need a PG transfer, I think we need an athletic wing transfer and I think they need to do all in their power to ensure Jesse stays.

I also wouldn't bet money on Frank, Jesse or Benny as being confirmed next year (not based on inside info, just using previous track record). I'm assuming JBA is 100% gone. I'm assuming Cole is gone. I'm assuming Buddy is gone. I think the starting lineup could be:

Sy
Joe
TBD
TBD
TBD

If Jimmy is cleared, slot him in.

If Jesse stays, slot him in.

I have no idea from the frosh who can contribute outside of breaking glass in case of emergency. I don't see any of them being huge contributors, but maybe?

BTW, the ESPN 60 for 2023, Duke (obviously), UNC and NC State all have commits from that list. Even UConn does.

I can't believe anyone is slotting in Benny as of now.

We can definitely fill roles through the portal, but we aren't going to get an NBA top five pick there.

There is a lot to be confirmed and filled in. I am very worried.
What are your thoughts on minutes for Jimmy if both JB and Buddy are gone? Not that he'd come back without those two here but just for conversation.

What are your thoughts on minutes for Jimmy if both JB and Buddy are gone? Not that he'd come back without those two here but just for conversation.

Need more info before I answer: does this team have JBA, Frank, Jesse and Benny in your scenario or no?

Need more info before I answer: does this team have JBA, Frank, Jesse and Benny in your scenario or no?
JBA will have nowhere to land so he is here. Jesse opts to stay because JB left. I think Frank stays and we all know Benny is gone.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom