No Junior Day? | Syracusefan.com

No Junior Day?

orangepassion

Nunzio Prophet
It doesn't sound like we have a Junior Day. Was hoping w/ Mcdonald here we would get this right and get more guys on campus. Anyone have any insight on this?

Our junior day will be during the Akron-Toledo men's game this weekend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It doesn't sound like we have a Junior Day. Was hoping w/ Mcdonald here we would get this right and get more guys on campus. Anyone have any insight on this?[/q not surprised. I have to think that organizing a"Junior Day" would take more time than his staff has had to put this together properly. Its only a presumption on my part.

It doesn't sound like we have a Junior Day. Was hoping w/ Mcdonald here we would get this right and get more guys on campus. Anyone have any insight on this?
I'd say the staff hasn't had an ample amount of time to prepare this and do it right. I think once they have the Offense and Defense for this year's team they will work on identifying juniors and probably will end up having something for the spring game.

I'd say the staff hasn't had an ample amount of time to prepare this and do it right. I think once they have the Offense and Defense for this year's team they will work on identifying juniors and probably will end up having something for the spring game.
You are probably right Bnoro and I understand, but they could have invited some NYS kids who are high on their list. With new staff members you have to at least meet and greet local prospects and coaches. This sets the tone. You cant wait too long.

Read something online that made it seem like the coaches were talking to recruits about Jr day at some point, then never brought it up again. Confusing.

You are probably right Bnoro and I understand, but they could have invited some NYS kids who are high on their list. With new staff members you have to at least meet and greet local prospects and coaches. This sets the tone. You cant wait too long.
I definitely agree with that unless there aren't a lot of NYS kids high on the list.

You make it sound like this staff is starting from scratch. Sure, Marrone took most of his assistants with him but did he take the 2014 recruiting board and all the phone numbers too? Is Shafer and company's idea of the players we need all that different from Marrone's? I thought we were selling kids continuity here? That we were going to play the same style on offense and defense as we did under Marrone?

I would like to think that Marrone and his staff had planned something for a junior day. Even if they didn't think it's a helpful event for them to sell the school, I would like to think that they would definitely have something planned for the Georgetown game. Who didn't know since the SU to ACC announcement in September 2011 that this game would be a huge, once in a lifetime event? If they didn't have something planned, then one could also assume that Shafer as a coach and recruiter under Marrone and no doubt a prominent voice in coaches' meetings was also partly responsible for that. And if he didn't agree with Adkins or Marrone in not planning for that event, then one would think he'd do something about it now as head coach. If there isn't something planned for Georgetown, I think we'll all know what Shafer and company think about junior days.

If there isn't something planned for Georgetown, I think we'll all know what Shafer and company think about junior days.
That it isn't at the top of their priorities right now. Might be next year. That is all one can conclude, IMO.

I agree that there should be a junior day. I could see it taking a bit of time to put the logistics together but by and large you just do what you've always done. They may not have had one last year but they did the year before. And if some people need to work a few 12 hour days to get it done then that's what you do. Whether you make $12 an hour or 80K a year you do what's necessary to get the job done.

You make it sound like this staff is starting from scratch. Sure, Marrone took most of his assistants with him but did he take the 2014 recruiting board and all the phone numbers too? Is Shafer and company's idea of the players we need all that different from Marrone's? I thought we were selling kids continuity here? That we were going to play the same style on offense and defense as we did under Marrone?

I would like to think that Marrone and his staff had planned something for a junior day. Even if they didn't think it's a helpful event for them to sell the school, I would like to think that they would definitely have something planned for the Georgetown game. Who didn't know since the SU to ACC announcement in September 2011 that this game would be a huge, once in a lifetime event? If they didn't have something planned, then one could also assume that Shafer as a coach and recruiter under Marrone and no doubt a prominent voice in coaches' meetings was also partly responsible for that. And if he didn't agree with Adkins or Marrone in not planning for that event, then one would think he'd do something about it now as head coach. If there isn't something planned for Georgetown, I think we'll all know what Shafer and company think about junior days.
I think you can see where Marrone and Shafer differed in the fact Scissum got an offer within a day of Shafer being named head coach. I think he has guys he wants to pursue, and his assistants have general ideas on who they want to pursue. But when 80% of your staff changes, the type of players you are looking for will as well. So essentially you are starting over with 95% of these kids, there's probably less than 5% overlap.

I think you can see where Marrone and Shafer differed in the fact Scissum got an offer within a day of Shafer being named head coach. I think he has guys he wants to pursue, and his assistants have general ideas on who they want to pursue. But when 80% of your staff changes, the type of players you are looking for will as well. So essentially you are starting over with 95% of these kids, there's probably less than 5% overlap.

Yet at the same time, the new staff made a strong push to keep together Marrone's class. You can argue that this was perhaps done in some cases to honor the school's commitment to the players, but Marrone didn't follow that formula when he came on board with players he didn't believe fit his system (whether it was rescinding offers GRob made or running players in the program off). And supposedly one of the reasons why Marrone hired Shafer was because their football coaching philosophies were so similar. We could equally assume that Shafer would follow a similar path as Marrone once he became head coach as we could assume the opposite. If he didn't believe in the guys we were bringing in, why not cut them loose instead of hamstringing himself?

But let's imagine for a moment that you are right and there are significant differences in the players they're chasing after now than Marrone's staff was before. Would that apply to defensive players? From everything we know about Marrone's program, it would seem like Shafer had free reign to design and call his own defense. Why would the players they're going after on defense change? So your 5 % overlap in players being pursued from Marrone to Shafer, I would think, is a severe underestimation. And let's even imagine that none of the players in the 2014 class that Marrone and company were chasing on offense suit the needs of McDonald and his coaches, which is highly unlikely, we're still talking about roughly 50% of the players identified that do suit the program. Why can't we at least invite them to come to campus for Georgetown?

The coaches need to get together and work out what systems they will be running on offense and defence, that is likely priority number one after signing day. There is a possibility (though unlikely) that these systems will not change at all from last year. Even if that were the case, the new coaches that have not worked in those systems need to get on the same page with those who have before they can sell it to the recruits.

I agree, though, there must be some local recruits that, regardless of system, would be high priorities (Samuel, Holley, Maverty etc.). I see no reason why the staff could not bring in a small group of elite guys for the Georgetown game.

I have faith we will see something come up, hopefully soon.

It's not like the kids you could invite you have to offer. It seems nys has a good amount of bcs talent this year even if we don't end up offering. I mean all you have to do is basically give a tour of the facilities and meet with the academic people. I was really hoping we would have started with the jr days this year and hold out hope we still will . Just seeing all these other schools get verbals during their jr days makes me feel we're starting from behind to start the cycle

It's not like the kids you could invite you have to offer. It seems nys has a good amount of bcs talent this year even if we don't end up offering. I mean all you have to do is basically give a tour of the facilities and meet with the academic people. I was really hoping we would have started with the jr days this year and hold out hope we still will . Just seeing all these other schools get verbals during their jr days makes me feel we're starting from behind to start the cycle
Cant help to feel the same way

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom