No second round guarantee for Tyus | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

No second round guarantee for Tyus

Who the hell is telling anyone who they are really interested in? Its ridiculous to think that. You and all of us are just reading information that is given to reporters on purpose. No one with decision making power is sharing secrets with anyone.

Every year something is leaked about one of our guys, and every year that player is either drafted by the team or before. This isn’t playing out well for Tyus.

70% of those drafted in the 2nd round got guaranteed contracts.
But for not much money, usually league minimum. And some of those guarantees are only through training camp. They can cut you after that.

That's largely incorrect. That's the math Bazley's camp used to justify him leaving. You still fall into that number even if you are on a 10 day deal.

Pretty sure it’s current NBA players. Van Gundy mentioned it last week on the broadcast.

Every year something is leaked about one of our guys, and every year that player is either drafted by the team or before. This isn’t playing out well for Tyus.

And when does that occur? Team workouts are just starting. We were like 2 days before the draft last year and half the people were still saying Lydon made a mistake.

Based on the reasoning in this thread and others, why should any player bother coming back? Everyone should be a one and done.
I just don't get the logic of the moving goalposts it used to be if your a lottery pick you go and then it was if your a first round pick you go. Now if your an end of the 2nd round pick to undrafted you go.

I just don't get the logic of the moving goalposts it used to be if your a lottery pick you go and then it was if your a first round pick you go. Now if your an end of the 2nd round pick to undrafted you go.
Agreed.

But for not much money, usually league minimum. And some of those guarantees are only through training camp. They can cut you after that.

The guaranteed contracts are for 1 year minimum.

There is no hard and fast rule because every kid is different.

Last year 50 guys got called up from the G league. Personally I think it's a lot more attractive than coming back to school and face the possibility of getting injured and never getting your career off the ground.

At least this summer, even if he doesn't get drafted, he will be playing in the NBA summer league with a great shot of an invite to an NBA training camp. I hope he comes back, and I don't disagree with those who think that another year could help, but if I was in his shoes, I wouldn't risk it.
So many guys have been injured in final season and still get drafted even as lottery picks so this is nonsense

So many guys have been injured in final season and still get drafted even as lottery picks so this is nonsense
Of all those injured guys you are referring to, how many were guards that were in their third year and got selected in the lottery. Give me a few of their names. You can go back as far as you would like.

Of all those injured guys you are referring to, how many were guards that were in their third year and got selected in the lottery. Give me a few of their names. You can go back as far as you would like.
Kyrie Irving but he was a freshman I don’t know of many juniors that got hurt. That were guards. K.Martin was injured inhis fourth year and was the number one pick

Based on the reasoning in this thread and others, why should any player bother coming back? Everyone should be a one and done.

A player should come back based on what they think is best... there is no one size fits all answer. Pick range could matter more for some... depends on how mature the player and how they will be able to improve if they don't get locked into a team.

Does the player like school? Does the player think school inhibits their ability to train and improve?

NBA teams also have 18 contracts instead of 15 in the past, although the 3 are 2-ways. It does cause teams to commit to more prospects than before. I assume Battle is hoping for one of those.

There is risk on both sides. If he ends up in Toronto G-League team that is a win for him , however he ends up there. Certain other situations it is not as good.

Except with every guy who "trys" the G league route, the percentages drop. Look at MLB, how many AAA players get even a 10 day call up, then 30 day then 1yr? Percentages probably say like 90% of major leaguers were in the minors BUT how many minor leaguers make the majors from AAA? AA? A? short season A.

He isn't my child. I'll applaud his time here and supported him while he played here. But why should I applaud a poor decision? Should we applaud Bazley too?
You can still support him as a fan without agreeing with his decision. I personally think he could benefit from another year at Cuse (trying to be objective here ), but I’ll still like him and support him if he doesn’t. IMO you can still support him without applauding his decision.

Unless he averages 30 per game on 38% shooting from deep next season with us, I think it's unlikely he'll improve his draft stock. He'll get drafted in the 2nd round this year. He might not get any guarantee, but he'll get drafted and get a shot in the G League. Might as well just go and hope he can impress in the minor leagues.

He isn't my child. I'll applaud his time here and supported him while he played here. But why should I applaud a poor decision? Should we applaud Bazley too?

I share this sentiment. I bleed Orange as most do here, but by far, first and foremost, I'm a fan of Syracuse. Once these guys leave here, I move on to the next group of guys on the team. It's not as if I don't want the Syracuse guys to do well and succeed, but again, I focus on Syracuse and place all of my passion, emotion, etc. there. Though, I will acknowledge, Melo has been the only exception to this for me...and that needs no explanation at all. :)

Unless he averages 30 per game on 38% shooting from deep next season with us, I think it's unlikely he'll improve his draft stock. He'll get drafted in the 2nd round this year. He might not get any guarantee, but he'll get drafted and get a shot in the G League. Might as well just go and hope he can impress in the minor leagues.

If he can show he can play off the ball and get his assists up by creating for others, it will help him a lot. The former was a point made with emphasis before the combine.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom