Not Good This sounds GROB'ish and is Disturbing | Syracusefan.com

Not Good This sounds GROB'ish and is Disturbing

nralecuse

Walk On
While eating lunch in my office this afternoon I read the following:

From the PS Website Article:
"...Syracuse (3-4, 1-2), which has surrendered 48 points three times in a season for the first time in program history, hasn’t thrown a touchdown pass in three conference games..."

I want this staff to be the best in the history for our alma mater and wish them nothing but great success. While I have been very busy I do not believe I have been "out of touch" with the program. Been watching the games, reading the news, daily at this forum. For some reason the above statement/fact really shocked me. I hope we haven't deluded ourselves to the point that our cravings for success blinds us to the obvious. It will become extremely difficult for the football program to rebound from another negative historic run.

HCSS and staff really have to find a way to correct things fast. I acknowledge entry into the ACC is a factor however when you start setting NEGATIVE alltime records......well, makes one think the ship may be scrapping bottom and blown a seam. If so, the difficult questions becomes how fast are we taking on water and is there enough skill and time to fix it?

GO ORANGE!

Yeah, that 48 point thing is kinda sobering. If things don't look more like NC State on D and less like the others, someone might have to fire his best friend.

I don't think being a little more patient about the offense is a bad thing. Losing QB and OT to the NFL draft, 2 very productive college WRs, another multi year starting OL. Then throw in a new OC, it's not a fireable offense to have bumps in the road. Especially given that he's lining up the recruits himself for what he offense will be. Let him sink or swim.

On defense, we had the continuity. Some key losses, yes, but should have been more of a plug and play consistent system. Certainly not one that's going to make the school's Hall of Shame.

Barring a miracle or a flu outbreak in the Florida panhandle, there is going to be one more game of giving up 48 or more. And by 48 or more, I mean or more.

Chip I am concerned you may be right about that "or more." Agree with how you assess the offensive side of things. As to the defense it has to be fixed immediately or HCSS will have to fire his best friend or face a P&D like situation that was very ugly and we know how that turned out. I can imagine Scott remembering his experience at Michigan and not wanting to be the HC that demands/dictates how the DC runs the D but if he doesn't act very soon the angnst he may feel right now could be quickly followed with feelings of loss and longing...,for your job.

GO ORANGE !

I think it's more likely than not going to be a 4th time once we play Florida State unfortunately. Might be a difficult record to break.

While eating lunch in my office this afternoon I read the following:

From the PS Website Article:
"...Syracuse (3-4, 1-2), which has surrendered 48 points three times in a season for the first time in program history, hasn’t thrown a touchdown pass in three conference games..."

I want this staff to be the best in the history for our alma mater and wish them nothing but great success. While I have been very busy I do not believe I have been "out of touch" with the program. Been watching the games, reading the news, daily at this forum. For some reason the above statement/fact really shocked me. I hope we haven't deluded ourselves to the point that our cravings for success blinds us to the obvious. It will become extremely difficult for the football program to rebound from another negative historic run.

HCSS and staff really have to find a way to correct things fast. I acknowledge entry into the ACC is a factor however when you start setting NEGATIVE alltime records......well, makes one think the ship may be scrapping bottom and blown a seam. If so, the difficult questions becomes how fast are we taking on water and is there enough skill and time to fix it?

GO ORANGE!

ehh... we lost to wvu and miami 42-0 and 49-0 in 2 straight games (in our heyday)

its bad and all... but its been worse. the staff can overcome this.

also... keep in mind the times we play in.

college football is an offensive game (which prob speaks worse to our td passes in conf...)

Your first mistake was eating your lunch and reading the PS website at the same time. That could be very dangerous to your health.

LOL I was thinking the same thing !
Thought I might have to take mega-doses of Aciphex !
Will not make that mistake again!

GO ORANGE !

zombie.jpg
Your first mistake was eating your lunch and reading the PS website at the same time. That could be very dangerous to your health.

Watching an episode of The Walking Dead would certainly be better for his digestion rather than reading the Post Sub-Standard sports section!

Last edited:
Yeah, that 48 point thing is kinda sobering. If things don't look more like NC State on D and less like the others, someone might have to fire his best friend.

I don't think being a little more patient about the offense is a bad thing. Losing QB and OT to the NFL draft, 2 very productive college WRs, another multi year starting OL. Then throw in a new OC, it's not a fireable offense to have bumps in the road. Especially given that he's lining up the recruits himself for what he offense will be. Let him sink or swim.

On defense, we had the continuity. Some key losses, yes, but should have been more of a plug and play consistent system. Certainly not one that's going to make the school's Hall of Shame.

Barring a miracle or a flu outbreak in the Florida panhandle, there is going to be one more game of giving up 48 or more. And by 48 or more, I mean or more.
patientce with the O is something im on my last inch of rope with.

as milly has pointed out, hunt is not only historical Syracuse bad, hes historical NCAA bad.

im 1 bad qtr and a few jack & cokes from making a grainy video that says 'help me obi wan kenobi, your my only hope' and praying the force is with me.

seriously, i got nothing...no hope (unintended pun that really works and im pretty happy with, btw).

no td passes in 3 conf games?? damn, i really didnt need to read that.

Can't see Bullough being retained after this season, especially if we don't make a bowl.
Isn't he doing exactly what Shafer would be doing? Same brains?

Watching an episode of The Walking Dead would certainly be better for his digestion rather than reading the Post Sub-Standard sports section!

I will not repeat the mistake.
This may be better for digestion than the Post Sub-Standard at lunch:

Syrup of ipecac /ˈɪpɨkæk/, commonly referred to as ipecac, is derived from the dried rhizome and roots of the ipecacuanha. It is typically used to induce vomiting, which it accomplishes by irritating the lining of the stomach (gastric mucosa) and by stimulating part of the brain called the medullary chemoreceptor trigger zone.

GO ORANGE !

The offense has been really really bad outside of the run game (ie Jerome and PTG). I think the defensive issues versus Clemson and GTech have kind of distrated just our bad our passing offense has been. Go look at the stats from Clemson moving forward, there absolutely abysmal. Were talking passing stats that would make power running teams in CNY blush.

we have no offense and for the most part no defense -

does this team become a train wreck? lets hope not

Score some points the D will look a lot better, join the modern era of college football where nobody really cares about defense anymore, you know who cares about defense, elite programs and teams that can't score points. That's top 4-5 teams and a bunch of bozos like us. Fluck defense start planning and playing the game in the modern era. Eastern football is dead people, nobody cares anymore. It's ridiculous

Hope the best part of Saturday isn't just the tailgate...

I'm gonna be honest, FSU could put up triple digits on us if they felt pressed to. After watching Gtech, NW and Clemson... jesus. I'd honestly be a little scared of a bowl berth... but I'll give credit where credits due, Syracuse has been ready when it comes to the post season in the past 5 years. But that was with Marrone.

patientce with the O is something im on my last inch of rope with.

as milly has pointed out, hunt is not only historical Syracuse bad, hes historical NCAA bad.

im 1 bad qtr and a few jack & cokes from making a grainy video that says 'help me obi wan kenobi, your my only hope' and praying the force is with me.

seriously, i got nothing...no hope (unintended pun that really works and im pretty happy with, btw).

no td passes in 3 conf games?? damn, i really didnt need to read that.

Hard to argue with the QB rating #'s. Part of why we might have to switch back.

I'm just thinking the OC didn't ask for the players he inherited, and maybe that's why he's bringing in 2 QBs, both of whom have the option to go to schools of equal or greater stature.

He also inherited a group of WRs that I don't think he was all that excited about, considering how many he has lined up for next year. Also guys with options of going to schools of equal or greater stature.

So at least in his defense, A) The offense is still somehow averaging close to 400 yards, so not the GRob era depths and B) He clearly saw that he was going to need to get players, so he personally went out and recruited them.

5 games left:

WF
@MD
@FSU
Pitt
BC

What is a realistic W/L record for the remainder? Based on what I see, I think a 2-3 record would be generous.

Chip I am concerned you may be right about that "or more." Agree with how you assess the offensive side of things. As to the defense it has to be fixed immediately or HCSS will have to fire his best friend or face a P&D like situation that was very ugly and we know how that turned out. I can imagine Scott remembering his experience at Michigan and not wanting to be the HC that demands/dictates how the DC runs the D but if he doesn't act very soon the angnst he may feel right now could be quickly followed with feelings of loss and longing...,for your job.

GO ORANGE !

I'll take the ugly P&D result the last season - 6-5 regular season with bowl invite, BE Co-Championship and wins against Pitt and BC.

I'll take the ugly P&D result the last season - 6-5 regular season with bowl invite, BE Co-Championship and wins against Pitt and BC.
i for one am thrilled there isn't a chance of us ending up in an 8 way tie in the big east anymore

crappy crapping crap stupid crapped

Hard to argue with the QB rating #'s. Part of why we might have to switch back.

I'm just thinking the OC didn't ask for the players he inherited, and maybe that's why he's bringing in 2 QBs, both of whom have the option to go to schools of equal or greater stature.

He also inherited a group of WRs that I don't think he was all that excited about, considering how many he has lined up for next year. Also guys with options of going to schools of equal or greater stature.

So at least in his defense, A) The offense is still somehow averaging close to 400 yards, so not the GRob era depths and B) He clearly saw that he was going to need to get players, so he personally went out and recruited them.

Part of the job is to put the kids that you do have in positions to succeed. He's not very good at that. The WR's that are playing now all had much greater success last year. Some step back was to be expected, but not to this degree.

Part of the job is to put the kids that you do have in positions to succeed. He's not very good at that. The WR's that are playing now all had much greater success last year. Some step back was to be expected, but not to this degree.

They also went from having an NFL-caliber QB to, well, not an NFL-caliber QB. I will agree though that the WR group has been probably the most disappointing unit this season, with the defensive secondary a close second.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom