Not sold on Cooney on offense , shaky potatoes. I dont think | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Not sold on Cooney on offense , shaky potatoes. I dont think

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cooney shot the ball pretty well on the road in the first four exhibition games in Canada against competition that plays year round. Even though its not quite a rough, road enviroment, that is still a big plus to be doing it on different rims.

His speed of release has improved and he has learned to shoot around screens and movement much better. Those three improvments alone are Huge!

Wouldn't mind using him as a 6th man and starting Gbinije with Ennis. I think bringing scorers off the bench at guard and forward and going with your scoring lineup at first whistle has been great for Syracuse in recent years.

OP did you watch either exhibition?

Cooney is going to be fine, I think again our problem will be finding the 3rd guard to spell Ennis and Cooney. Hopefully Mike G will come around because we all knowhe can play, just needs to get accustomed to guard. Cooney will win us at least a few games. I see him breaking 20 points a handful of times.

I don't know how anyone can say this until we hit the regular season, especially conference time.

Cooney has been hitting shots in games and practices that don't count towards our record since he got here.

Now he looks better, he looks like he worked hard to get stronger, he looks the part...

But until the shots go in when the games count, I'm being cautiously optimistic. He HAS to hit three pointers to keep the spacing for our offense. If he isn't doing that, he is going to lose his playing time while we figure out who can hit threes.

Listen Cooney has a lot of potential and I think Ennis will be a star. But MCW is a solid NBA player, Sutherland is playing in the NBA and Triche was close to making the league. I think Ennis will play in NBA but probably be at SU for 2-3 years. Cooney will play pro ball but in Europe. Backcourt is still above average especially at point, but we don't have a backup PG and may be streaky at the other guard. We are absolutely loaded at F and C this year with talent and depth, lots of NBA players (Fair, Grant, Roberson and BJ) XMAS and Coleman definitely have a chance at the League. Keita is a great college player but don't see him having a shot at the NBA.

How was Triche close to making the NBA?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't know how anyone can say this until we hit the regular season, especially conference time.

Cooney has been hitting shots in games and practices that don't count towards our record since he got here.

Now he looks better, he looks like he worked hard to get stronger, he looks the part...

But until the shots go in when the games count, I'm being cautiously optimistic. He HAS to hit three pointers to keep the spacing for our offense. If he isn't doing that, he is going to lose his playing time while we figure out who can hit threes.
Good thing you aren't a scout

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk

Good thing you aren't a scout

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using

Good thing? Not sure I follow.

My only contention is this guy has been a practice sharpshooter since he got here. I'm glad he's worked hard and glad I've seen what he's done so far in pre-season.

But his issue isn't going to be putting in the effort or getting the shots up in practice, it's going to be when the legit games begin. He has shown flashes here and there, but this is his third year. His job is to hit threes to open the floor for passing lanes, drives, etc.

He shot 27% from three last year. How much better are you banking on him being?

IMO, if a team invites you in for a pre-draft workout and another has you on their summer league team, you are close to making the NBA.

Maybe if he was invited to training camp then maybe, but playing light minutes in the summer league isn't really "close" to making the league. I guess Scoop was close too?

My only contention is this guy has been a practice sharpshooter since he got here. I'm glad he's worked hard and glad I've seen what he's done so far in pre-season.

But his issue isn't going to be putting in the effort or getting the shots up in practice, it's going to be when the legit games begin. He has shown flashes here and there, but this is his third year. His job is to hit threes to open the floor for passing lanes, drives, etc.

you said "how can anyone say this until we see him in a regular season game", and I made a joke that people do it all the time

scouts don't go to their boss, "well I wish we could draft this guy but I would have to see him in an NBA game first"

I guarantee Cooney will shoot better than 27%. You can see the increased confidence and knowing he won't have a short leash will help a lot.

his shot warrants him as a starter but he is what we have, I expect to see more and more Gbinje. Cooney just doesn't look confident out there

I don't think it's humanly possible to disagree with a post more than I disagree with this one.

Cooney looks extremely confident and comfortable and Gbinje looks like George Constanta looking for his sneakers in the locker room.

I don't know what game you are watching. I am more concerned about Gbinje being a competent backup than I am about Cooney starting as a strong defender and sometimes too-hesitant shooter.
Silent g has been pretty sloppy with the ball.

I think we can all agree on one thing, although I don't love the context in which it was introduced.
Shaky potatoes will stick around. It's no kick rocks, but what is?
IMG_1727.JPG

I expect Cooney to show a solid all around game, including handling minutes as the de facto backup PG. I even think he has an outside shot at leading the team in scoring (because I think all of Fair, Grant, Ennis and Cooney will end up close together, between 14 and 10 ppg).

Like JB said, Ennis is going to play 38 minutes a game. Gbinje will be fine for 2 minutes. What we haven't seen is how Gbinje will play at the 2 with Ennis. I think Gbinje will be a lot more effective at the two and get out on the break where he can finish. We'll see him a lot more at the two guard once real games are played. I think Cooney is going to be fine. He's looked solid in the two exhibition games and Ennis has a great connection with him. I've been very disappointed in Grant. His shooting has shown no improvement from last year and his foul shooting last night was awful. This team is not creating many turnovers on defense and the fast break has been nowhere to be found. If we're going to be better than last year, it's not going to be at the guard spot, but our bigs have to become a consistent force inside. That's the real question. Do they have it in them? They looked better last night, but I want to be able to pencil in double digit points and 8 rebounds for both Coleman and Christmas. If they don't produce those kind of numbers, this team could become disappointing.

This team needs Cooney much more then G. Cooney will get a bulk of the minutes if only because he is a threat to knock down a 3. I have been pleasantly surprised by Cooney's performance thus far. He will probably be our most limited 2 guard in the past couple decades, but he still looks like the best alternative. All he needs to do it concentrate on knocking in a couple 3's a game, and be solid on defense

I expect Cooney to show a solid all around game, including handling minutes as the de facto backup PG. I even think he has an outside shot at leading the team in scoring (because I think all of Fair, Grant, Ennis and Cooney will end up close together, between 14 and 10 ppg).
At this point with the way Mike is handling the backup PG minutes, I'm certain that Trevor can do a better job for 5 minutes a game. Right now it seems to be the best option with Buss at the 2G to help him. Totally agree with your point. Mike doesn't seem to be a guard, let alone a PG. He has to improve by the time Maui comes around or it needs to be scrapped. He's gotta perform with this opportunity.

Like JB said, Ennis is going to play 38 minutes a game. Gbinje will be fine for 2 minutes. What we haven't seen is how Gbinje will play at the 2 with Ennis. I think Gbinje will be a lot more effective at the two and get out on the break where he can finish. We'll see him a lot more at the two guard once real games are played. I think Cooney is going to be fine. He's looked solid in the two exhibition games and Ennis has a great connection with him. I've been very disappointed in Grant. His shooting has shown no improvement from last year and his foul shooting last night was awful. This team is not creating many turnovers on defense and the fast break has been nowhere to be found. If we're going to be better than last year, it's not going to be at the guard spot, but our bigs have to become a consistent force inside. That's the real question. Do they have it in them? They looked better last night, but I want to be able to pencil in double digit points and 8 rebounds for both Coleman and Christmas. If they don't produce those kind of numbers, this team could become disappointing.

Disagree on grant. For a kid whose summer was interrupted by mono and then a hand injury he is coming along just fine and will likely shake the rust off very quickly as the season gets real.

As for tyler I am not sure 38 mins is a problem at all. Considering he plays at a pace that involves minimal wasted effort he is well suited to being a minutes heavy guy. Mike g has some major yips going on. Jb made a key point about his struggles being more recognizable when he doesnt have help on the floor to share ball handling. I fully expect cj will be on the floor anytime you see mike g playing backup pg to immediately ensure the offense flows through cj from the get go. With ennis being such a facilitator cj should be able to handle that responsibility to help mike out.

He was 6 made 3 PT FG from being a 33% shooter from 3. That includes a 4-19 start to the season. His form, FT% and pedigree tell you he can shoot. Without being fearful of being yanked for missing 2 in a row, I think he will hit between 36-39% from 3 this year. Would not surprise me if it was over 40%.

I don't think it's humanly possible to disagree with a post more than I disagree with this one.

Cooney looks extremely confident and comfortable and Gbinje looks like George Constanta looking for his sneakers in the locker room.

Time will tell when we get to the real schedule...in time I think Gbinje will prove to be the better player and Cooney the more situational guy. I just don't think Cooney has the chops if he starts poorly he will go into a shell

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Last edited:
He was 6 made 3 PT FG from being a 33% shooter from 3. That includes a 4-19 start to the season. His form, FT% and pedigree tell you he can shoot. Without being fearful of being yanked for missing 2 in a row, I think he will hit between 36-39% from 3 this year. Would not surprise me if it was over 40%.

Over 40%???

Would you like to make a wager on that?

If he doesn't hit his threes, he will be yanked. That's literally why he is out there.

He has to be at 40% threes heading into conference play just to end up at 36% overall.

You really think he'll jump between nine and twelve percentage points as a first year starter in the ACC with a chance at cracking 40? Love your optimism but I'll take 33% and active defense. If you are looking for more, I think you're asking for too much.

Also, all his form, pedigree (???) and FT shooting tell me is that he's underachieved so far in real games. Some players step up and some don't. Hope he does, but I'll take a marginal improvement from him and be happy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cuse702

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors