Not sold on Cooney on offense , shaky potatoes. I dont think | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Not sold on Cooney on offense , shaky potatoes. I dont think

Status
Not open for further replies.
Over 40%???

Would you like to make a wager on that?

If he doesn't hit his threes, he will be yanked. That's literally why he is out there.

He has to be at 40% threes heading into conference play just to end up at 36% overall.

You really think he'll jump between nine and twelve percentage points as a first year starter in the ACC with a chance at cracking 40? Love your optimism but I'll take 33% and active defense. If you are looking for more, I think you're asking for too much.

Also, all his form, pedigree (???) and FT shooting tell me is that he's underachieved so far in real games. Some players step up and some don't. Hope he does, but I'll take a marginal improvement from him and be happy.

so, GT in the BET wasn't a real game? Some guys have a hard time coming off the bench, especially for the first time in their career. Some guys are better coming off the bench. It remains to be seen which one he is.

Sent from my SCH-I200 using Tapatalk 2

so, GT in the BET wasn't a real game? Some guys have a hard time coming off the bench, especially for the first time in their career. Some guys are better coming off the bench. It remains to be seen which one he is.

Consistently. He's a starter now. He shot 27% from three last year at 2.7 three attempts per game.

I don't care how you slice it, thinking he's going to hit high 30s or even 40 is way too high an expectation.

And you are cherry picking stats re: GT. Here are his point totals for all big east games leading up to that:

3, 0, 0, 6, 2, 8, 0, 0, 6, 0, 2, 4, 0, 3, 0, 2, 0, 0 2.

And here are the totals after that one GT game you chose: 0, 7, 0, 0, 0, 3

He took 105 three point field goal attempts. It's not like he wasn't shooting a lot.

I'm not saying he WON'T be good. I just don't think anyone can put him down as a sure thing yet.

Time will tell when we get to the real schedule...in time I think Gbinje will prove to be the better player and Cooney the more situational guy. I just don't think Cooney has the chops if he starts poorly he will go into a shell

Sent from my iPad using HD

While you might be right that TC goes in a shell and maybe you're right that G will be the better player but based on what I've seen this year, I have no idea how you can conclude that.

TC has probably been the most pleasant surprise this year. His shoot looks so much better. Last year, his misses were all way off, often literally not close. This year, even his misses look good. There's a reason JB went nuts on TC when he didn't pull up on three when he was open and it's because he thinks he can hit most any open shot.

G, on the other hand, has been the least pleasant surprise this year. Based on his HS stuff, reports from Duke, etc, I expected a much, much more polished game. Yes, it is hard to transition to the 1, esp. after transferring, so he gets a pass for some time to come. However, what do you see in his game that would conclude his is more athletic and be the better player? What I'm watching so far, through 6 games on tv, is TC is much, much, more ready to contribute and looks to be a better athlete than G.

Believing makes a differance. I believe trevor can hit 37%.

We want trevor to take 6-8 threes this year, and if he averages 28 mpg in the backcourt 7 threes a game would be one every four minutes. One shot every 4-5 minutes is the average for most syracuse outside shooters. Trevor had a hard time getting his feet set and getting open last year, his form was all over the place he just wasn't ready for the speed of the game, I dissagre with putting any emphasis on this years numbers because of last years, in Trevors case. Trevor is faster, with better range, a better feet plant and height on his shot, and his form is much less shaky. Not only is his confidence sky high but he has a cool calm collective meaness to his shooting game as opposed to the mad pissed off meaness when he was missing shots last year.

Gbinije was coming off a aggressive sg role out of highschool. Its not working for him right now. I would like to see him work more on the iq aspect, learning to be a one-threee bounce kind of player in the halfcourt, work on standing tall more with the ball in the halfcourt instead of slouched protecting it all the time. Learn to pass and sell a legit fake pass before putting the ball on the floor all the time, and learn to use his height on the offensive boards and against m2m teams. He had a dunk against ryerson where he grabbed the ball right off the rim went right back up and dunked it that was as awesome as anything mcw gave us in the post last year imo. He has a forwards height, he is taller then MCW and mcw may have been the best rebounding guard in the country last year. What does that tell you??? I Would like to see him work more with a mature underderstanding this year and go 100% as a glue guy then trying to become a scorer, leader and trying to create things for him and his teamates off a slouched dribble. But I will also be as estatic as anyone if if good things start to come from his halfcourt dribble this year. He has the motor, athleticism and nice height to be one of those all over the court kinda of players like a cj, mcw, josh pace if he wants to be. But imo he has to lay off the running the offense and isolation dribbling mindset and get his feet moving more to be that, to earn the big play the hard way instead of the opportunistic way, which would take a change in focus and a sacrifice to make sprints and jumps that often lead to nothing.

Last edited:
Believing makes a differance. I believe trevor can hit 37%.

Ten percentage point increase is an unfair expectation. Especially considering he's going be playing more minutes and be defending starters from minute 1.

We should be targeting 33%-34% (which is still a big jump) next year, 36-37% the year after and then possibly 39-40% for his senior year.

His four year improvement would be a 13 percentage point increase, which is amazing.

Andy went steadily from 32 to 40.

GMac bounced around between 33% and 39%.

And we are saying a 27% three point shooter is going to jump to 37% in one year? I don't believe it will happen. Will be happier than anyone if it does. Kid seems like he has worked hard and put in the effort.

Ten percentage point increase is an unfair expectation. Especially considering he's going be playing more minutes and be defending starters from minute 1.

We should be targeting 33%-34% (which is still a big jump) next year, 36-37% the year after and then possibly 39-40% for his senior year.

His four year improvement would be a 13 percentage point increase, which is amazing.

Andy went steadily from 32 to 40.

GMac bounced around between 33% and 39%.

And we are saying a 27% three point shooter is going to jump to 37% in one year? I don't believe it will happen. Will be happier than anyone if it does. Kid seems like he has worked hard and put in the effort.
I agree that we should keep our expectations in check but over the past decade our 2-guards who averaged >24 mpg shot >35% from long range, with the exception of BT whose stats slipped when his minutes were up. I absolutely feel that Trevor will benefit and thrive as a major contributor with expanded PT and I believe mid to upper 30s is very realistic this year.

Last edited:
Good thing? Not sure I follow.

My only contention is this guy has been a practice sharpshooter since he got here. I'm glad he's worked hard and glad I've seen what he's done so far in pre-season.

But his issue isn't going to be putting in the effort or getting the shots up in practice, it's going to be when the legit games begin. He has shown flashes here and there, but this is his third year. His job is to hit threes to open the floor for passing lanes, drives, etc.

He shot 27% from three last year. How much better are you banking on him being?

I think he'll be around 35% this year. He'll be fine. He HAS to play because we've got no one else.

This team needs Cooney much more then G. Cooney will get a bulk of the minutes if only because he is a threat to knock down a 3. I have been pleasantly surprised by Cooney's performance thus far. He will probably be our most limited 2 guard in the past couple decades, but he still looks like the best alternative. All he needs to do it concentrate on knocking in a couple 3's a game, and be solid on defense

He would be right at home on a Mike Brey team.

I expect Cooney to show a solid all around game, including handling minutes as the de facto backup PG. I even think he has an outside shot at leading the team in scoring (because I think all of Fair, Grant, Ennis and Cooney will end up close together, between 14 and 10 ppg).
I believe there will be a huge disparity (6 to 8 points) between CJ and the second leading scorer, as he will be playing big minutes with a group of players who are relatively inexperienced and/or unproven scorers at this level of basketball right now.

I do think the scoring behind CJ will be bunched pretty close together, with Ennis, Cooney, Grant and Coleman making up that group in some order. All will have big scoring nights along the way, but also many games where they contribute little offensively. CJ, though, will get his shots and points every night, as he did last season even though he was sometimes only the third or fourth option on offense.

Last edited:
I don't think it's humanly possible to disagree with a post more than I disagree with this one.

Then perhaps you don't remember this gem...

Is MCW the worst Syracuse PG since James Theus?

If you think I'm crazy then watch the past 10 games and notice his regression. He can't play within himself, turnovers are way too high, he doesnt make shots and he doesnt show any leadership.
http://syracusefan.com/threads/mcw-vs-jt.46677/#post-566872

Screw it. One case of PBR Trevor hits >36% and >80 3pt FG

Put up or shut up.
I'll jump in on DNABB5's side and add a case of Genny Screamers to the wager

Then perhaps you don't remember this gem...

http://syracusefan.com/threads/mcw-vs-jt.46677/#post-566872

I have made maybe 4 posts since July, but re-reading that epic “Is MCW the worst Syracuse PG since James Theus?” thread has compelled me to post way off topic in this thread (haha) - Yet, I find I have no words to describe what I truly feel about that epic, epic post, so I will resort to some legendary Adam Sandler movie quotes to help me more accurately convey my complete & utter disdain for it:

OP / “Mr Madison, what you've just said... is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul...”

“Gentlemen, which brings me to my next point. Don't smoke crack” / Make absurd posts in middle of a season (one in which the player you are blasting ends up being most responsible for leading your team to their 1st Final Four appearance in a decade.)

And finally, a Francis-inspired image to top it all off:

Will Smith.gif

Oh yeah, and I also love the new (to me) term “shaky potatoes” – simply fantastic. Right up there with “I have this feeling and I’m never wrong” & “Thickburger” being the nickname for every player in SU Bball history. I love this board!

Like I said while you guys are busy playing grab ass and kowtowing, this statement can be revisited at the end of the year, only at the end of the year. I don't want internet dorky high fives and told you so nonsense after coney scores 24 versus Colgate. Let's look at the body of work after March and see what he does against the better teams and crunch time

"Shaky Potatoes" : Term for SU player who is riding the hot hand from now on.

Example 1: "CJ started off slowley but the really got the Shaky Potatoes hitting 9-10 to finish the game."

Example 2: "Baye really found his shaky potatoes at the FT strip in the BET & NCAAT."

I'd worry about the 4 newcomers not named Ennis before I'd worry about TC. Hopefully at least 2 of them will provide quality minutes throughout the season.

Screw it. One case of PBR Trevor hits >36% and >80 3pt FG

Put up or shut up.

BOTH he has to do? I'll take that bet. If I win, you can donate it to a Fine Lot Tailgate.

Just to be clear, he has to be greater than 36% AND hit greater than 80 3 pt FGs.

Don't think it will happen, but I like your chutzpah.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cuse702

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom