Not this $#@! again | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Not this $#@! again

The ACC in two years Syracuse Pitt Wake Duke UConn Cinncy Louisville USF BC Temple Army and Navy

The Big Ten isn't stopping at 16 for the right teams.

I just don't see how you make a league that big work from a scheduling standpoint. Too many teams means no real relationship with half the league.

From what I gather, the Big Ten now believes it will have to act in two phases:

Phase one: expand to 15 or 16 to rattle the ACC. That might be Georgia Tech or Virginia. If the Carolina schools stay committed, the Big Ten could consider Connecticut to take away the only remaining safety net the ACC has to maintain stability.

Phase two: assuming the SEC or Big 12 then get in on the act and ACC schools begin seriously looking at moving, the Big Ten could try to land any combination of North Carolina, Duke, BC and Notre Dame. Syracuse could be a factor if it means landing Notre Dame (IMO).

If these rumors of Georgia Tech are true, though, I do think this means the Big Ten is not stopping at 16 if they get their wish.

You know, the Big 10 might just destroy their own league with over-expansion. Say they go to 18 or 20 teams, continuing this massive "land grab" mentality. Then look at the lack of quality in the teams they just acquired. Who in the world is going to watch these games between these awful teams? Rivalries will die, travel costs will soar, and then when they try to make cable systems pay more for the BTN, suddenly cable will start going a la carte, and then they're screwed. There is such a thing as "too much".

OK I just talked to a guy who talked to his wife's cousin who got the information from a mysteriously connected "Dude" fellow SU and GT are definetly/possibly going to the Big G. She was not sure because the crack pipe was still in his mouth.

You know, the Big 10 might just destroy their own league with over-expansion. Say they go to 18 or 20 teams, continuing this massive "land grab" mentality. Then look at the lack of quality in the teams they just acquired. Who in the world is going to watch these games between these awful teams? Rivalries will die, travel costs will soar, and then when they try to make cable systems pay more for the BTN, suddenly cable will start going a la carte, and then they're screwed. There is such a thing as "too much".

I get what you're saying but I look at it like the opposite... if the Big Ten were to expand to 20 teams, hypothetically, what they would be doing in essence is pairing most of the original Big Ten schools in one division and the new Big East/ACC in the other. Notre Dame, Penn State, Maryland, Rutgers, North Carolina, Virginia, Syracuse, etc. could be in the new division, perhaps with Ohio State crossing over. The West would simply be most of the old Big Ten with Nebraska instead.

Ok,Ok... Lets pretend we live in a universe where we can shoot lasers out of our fingers and SU does get an invite to the B1G. Do we have to pay the $53 mil. We are not technically part to the ACC yet and we didn't get to vote on that.

At some point the Borg are going to run out of Legends and Leaders to assimilate. Oh wait.

That might be the nerdiest thing ever posted on this board. It would be awesome though at a press confrence Delany slips with "We are the Big G, all must be assimilated"

Why doesn't the B1G go to 64 teams, claim the monopoly and be done with it?

Or 48 teams? Let Slive has his own Sweet 16. No point in getting greedy.

They would be consolidating power. if the B1G covers the entire North and East coast I think plenty of people would watch. Rivalries could be saved with 5 team pods. If the P12 also picks off the B12 there will be 3 conferences to watch.

One thing that makes a huge conference untenable is that teams lose the ability to schedule out of conference aggressively. The B1G adds poor and mediocre teams in some sort of TV war and gets hamstrung by them. The new playoff-like system is going highlight these out of conference games. For example, OSU wanted to play Texas to boost out of conference resume, but can't because they have to play a home game vs. Rutgers.

If you then decide to scale back on conference games, it undermines the TV deals and makes you wonder why you're in a conference at all. Right?

...wait...smacking my lips as the last sip this hour of Jack and Coke twirls down my throat...ahem...now, please do not believe the stuff from the WVU Dude etc...
TEEL and GlENN are as good as it gets...understand that 'Cuse has also been vetted as has Vandy, Uconn, UNC, UVA, UTx and Kansas...now lets get through the next few weeks and wait for the upcoming discussion of renegotiated TV contract with ESPN...enjoy the upcoming bowl game and the holidays...
Neil, can I say Cheers here to all of 'Cuse fandom

Why doesn't the B1G go to 64 teams, claim the monopoly and be done with it?

Or 48 teams? Let Slive has his own Sweet 16. No point in getting greedy.

I posted this in another thread. have the B1G just run the whole NCAAF. Call Deleny the commish, and lets just call this what it is, NOT AMATEUR ATHLETICS

...wait...smacking my lips as the last sip this hour of Jack and Coke twirls down my throat...ahem...now, please do not believe the stuff from the WVU Dude etc...
TEEL and GlENN are as good as it gets...understand that 'Cuse has also been vetted as has Vandy, Uconn, UNC, UVA, UTx and Kansas...now lets get through the next few weeks and wait for the upcoming discussion of renegotiated TV contract with ESPN...enjoy the upcoming bowl game and the holidays...
Neil, can I say Cheers here to all of 'Cuse fandom

Whoa whoa whoa - vetted? I thought you only had ACC sources. :)

Very interesting list. Any buzz on ND joining ACC in full?

That might be the nerdiest thing ever posted on this board. It would be awesome though at a press confrence Delany slips with "We are the Big G, all must be assimilated"
I think at Swofford's next press conference he should say, 'Delany, barada nikto.' ;)

We can put this one to bed...GT's AD left for Clemson last month

The Deacon Report@TheDeaconReport
Frenetic time here in ACC country. Conflicting info abounds. GT AD spoke. But keep in mind who DIDN'T make a statement from GT.

Expand

http://blogs.ajc.com/georgia-tech-sports/2012/11/30/griffin-speaks-against-tech-big-ten-rumors/
He/She is referring to that, and is saying the Ga. Tech President didn't comment. I believe these rumors are BS, but he/she isn't contradicting himself/herself yet, but have some faith in DudefromSU LOL.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom