Notre Dame and NBC renew football partnership through 2025. | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Notre Dame and NBC renew football partnership through 2025.

I never said they were a rival, but if they are a partner they should give their partner a little respect. Do you think Wake Forest or Duke are going to play their home games in Charlotte at Bank of America Stadium. If we are going to play them in 2014 at Metlife, 2015 in SB, then the 2nd contracted game in Metlife in 2017 and 2nd SB in 2018. You are looking at 2020 before ND plays a game in the Dome "some partner." Let's move all of ND's home basketball games to MSG because SU doesn't need to play ND like ND football doesn't need to play SU. I am talking about the fact the ACC Network is going to get boned by NBC from using any ND home football stuff, coaches show, or weekly recap shows as NBC will control that stuff, and NBC won't throw the ACC any favors because of ESPN.
fwiw: on dook & wake.

yes. if ND (and the ACC for that matter) decides its in their best interests to play them in Charlotte, then they will play them in Charlotte.

and ND @ Giants Stadium > ND @ Dome in regards to Syracuse football. the pros far outweigh the cons.

Note: What I am posting is my opinion it doesn't mean its fact and I don't want people claiming I am saying I am the law and what I see is right its my opinion and here is the disclaimer.

For a network to be successful there either has to be a demand i.e. sadly SEC football has created a brand that I can respect even though I think it is top heavy OR have a partner willing to lose short term money i.e. FOX with the Big Ten Network. FOX lost money in the first couple of years, but because it was a partnership and they have weathered the storm and are able to broadcast a lot of events and are on the basic tier cable platform in every state the B1G has a team has helped that network stablitize. The Pac-12 network works because that conference owns the West Coast. The ACC is vulnerable right now from the B1G and SEC. North Carolina, Virginia, Georgia Tech and Florida State are valued differently by both of these conferences to create new revenue streams in new markets. The only way for the ACC to remain intact is for the conference members to be satisfied with their payouts. That is why the ACC network was needed to keep the teams above in simliar financial positions of those teams in the other big conferences. I don't expect the ACC network to be the best, but Notre Dame football matters nationally whether I or anybody cares about it. Notre Dame home football is now controlled by NBC Sports till 2025. Notre Dame's replay of home games, coaches shows, weekly recap would have been very valuable nationally to an ACC network.
I don't care if ND is a full member of not, but the ACC Network is going to be hard to startup without help from ESPN. ESPN owns all 3rd tier rights to ACC games and a lot of that would go on the ACC network. I realize the ACC is probably going to have buy back those rights from ESPN which won't be hard as long as we give them a percentage of the network is fair and realistic, but for the network to be on basic cable with the SEC network, BTN, and Pac-12 network will be difficult without ESPN helping. Having ND under the ESPN umbrella would have made the network happy and probably made them more conducive to helping the conference out now without ND on board it will be more difficult.
Remain calm once again...don't forget there are games that will be against the ACC that are considered ACC home games whether at university or neutral site...always been 3 games or 2 games every year considered ACC home. So for example ND vs FSU is a ACC home game; Syracuse vs. Notre Dame in Meadowlands is an ACC home game...these games receive payout and gate receipts etc paid to ACC conference...further these games would be on ESPN/ABC or played on ESPN affiliates or even on the ACC network...nothing lost here folks...this is in part what the additional $1,000,000+ ESPN upped ACC TV contract...it still does not limit the bball and other sports being on ACC network.

As indicated in PR release...the NBC contract is limited to 7 football games...the ACC has rights to other sports:

Per the extension, which begins with the 2016 season, the NBC Sports Group retains global media rights on all platforms to a minimum of seven Notre Dame home football games per year, with the vast majority airing on NBC.

Stand-by...more to come soon...Go 'Cuse!

Won't some of the NBC-broadcast ND home games have to be against ACC teams? Have ESPN and NBC cut a deal, perhaps?

Really, what this contract really ends is the prospect of ND joining as a full member with equal revenue sharing.

This sounds odd. Content from other sports on NBC networks?

“While our relationship with NBC Sports is longstanding, the more recent merger between NBC and Comcast has opened up additional avenues to expand the breadth of Notre Dame-related sports programming on NBC platforms,” said Notre Dame athletics director Jack Swarbrick in a release. “Specifically, the evolution of the NBC Sports Network has provided opportunities for special programming featuring inside looks at our football team and several other Notre Dame sports programs and in-depth profiles on the unsung heroes of Notre Dame athletics.”

http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Journal/Issues/2013/03/04/Media/ESPN-Fox.aspx
An indelible image of the unique bond between these two came in the summer of 2011, when ESPN and Fox executives traveled to Switzerland to complete bids for the Olympics’ media rights. While NBC executives holed up in their suite at Lausanne’s Palace Hotel waiting to hear if they won the rights, ESPN and Fox executives socialized together in the lobby bar, laughing with each other and swapping stories

I do a little homework before I post, I am not saying I am right I am being a realistic ESPN and FOX get along. ESPN and FOX respect each other, but neither of them like NBC. Why is NBC going to help a competitor form a new network and then have that network jammed on them with ESPN, ESPN2, ESPNU, SEC network on its parent company (Comcast) shoulders?
the SEC network will be great in the fall. What about winter and spring? The ACC network will still be good in the fall and great in the winter and spring. Let it all play out.

and ND @ Giants Stadium > ND @ Dome in regards to Syracuse football. the pros far outweigh the cons.

Again, in the long run it does not.

Sent using my Commodore 64

the SEC network will be great in the fall. What about winter and spring? The ACC network will still be good in the fall and great in the winter and spring. Let it all play out.

I think you are going to see content from other conferences on some of the Conference Networks, like Big East basketball (Catholics) on the Big Ten Network, as the footprints overlap to some extent.

The key to Conference networks is carriage. The SEC network will be carried by virtually every SEC state cable network at full price, like the Big Ten Network is. An ACC Network would not be carried at full cost in every state. Hard to see all the cable companies in Massachusetts, New York, Pennsylvania, and Georgia carrying an ACC Network at full cost. Personally, I see an "ACC Network" as a consolidator of media rights to be sold into individual ACC markets to existing free channels or cable nets, like SNY in NY, NESN in Boston.

Again, in the long run it does not.

again, in the short run, which helps the long run...it does.

if the Orange are any good, they are getting 40k in the Dome, 45k for good teams. so 1x every 6 years ND shows up and they get 49k??!!

queue DC...whoop de damn do.

playing @ Giants Stadium, with all the alumni, right in the heart of a monster recruiting area...is WIN WIN.

no need to put that game at the Dome just to appease you, imatt and the rest of the blue sweatshirt wearing during orange-outs and soon to be blue-haired cny crowd.

Oh Lord

Won't some of the NBC-broadcast ND home games have to be against ACC teams? Have ESPN and NBC cut a deal, perhaps?

Really, what this contract really ends is the prospect of ND joining as a full member with equal revenue sharing.
...and it basically indicates that Notre Dame is not going to any conference all in for football any time soon... However, the 5 games a year with ACC teams is 42% of Notre Dame's football games a year and 62% of a full ACC team...The ACC received a $$$ kick of over $1,000,000 per team per year and still has the rights to all other ND sports for Network content if it chooses to have a network...it is going to happen...there will be additional benefit of having Notre Dame as an associate football team...be patient...it is going to surprise and be good...I am confident.

Contracts have clauses and who knows if there is one about what happens if ND joins the ACC for football?

again, in the short run, which helps the long run...it does.

if the Orange are any good, they are getting 40k in the Dome, 45k for good teams. so 1x every 6 years ND shows up and they get 49k??!!

queue DC...whoop de damn do.

playing @ Giants Stadium, with all the alumni, right in the heart of a monster recruiting area...is WIN WIN.

no need to put that game at the Dome just to appease you, imatt and the rest of the blue sweatshirt wearing during orange-outs and soon to be blue-haired cny crowd.

Oh Lord

It's obvious you don't get it. It's not just ND, who isn't 1x every 6 years. Its the who concept as we have argued before. Go ask the meathead coaches, past or present. The biggest thing they need to do to win is bring the fans back. You don't so it this way.

Btw, crap job down there for USC.

Contracts have clauses and who knows if there is one about what happens if ND joins the ACC for football?

What seems much more likely to me is that ND agrees to play seven or eight ACC games, competes for the ACC championship, but still retains their status as an associate member with their own TV contract.

Uh, okay.
Tell me champ do you think the ACC network will be carried nationally on most cable providers basic tier like BTN, Pac-12 or the upcoming SEC network, and if you do you must have a lot of faith in ESPN cramming 2 new networks down cable companies throats.

What seems much more likely to me is that ND agrees to play seven or eight ACC games, competes for the ACC championship, but still retains their status as an associate member with their own TV contract.
That would not surprise me...but I would be surprised if there is no clause in the contract addressing the potential for ND to join the ACC for all sports.

Tell me champ do you think the ACC network will be carried nationally on most cable providers basic tier like BTN, Pac-12 or the upcoming SEC network, and if you do you must have a lot of faith in ESPN cramming 2 new networks down cable companies throats.
I'm not a champ but I will wait to see what happens. The people running this have a plan. How about waiting to see it before we say the network is doomed?

It's obvious you don't get it. It's not just ND, who isn't 1x every 6 years. Its the who concept as we have argued before. Go ask the meathead coaches, past or present. The biggest thing they need to do to win is bring the fans back. You don't so it this way.

Btw, crap job down there for USC.

i am saying WIN.

i am saying play in Giants Stadium. but lets be clear, very few fans who see the Orange in Giants Stadium are going to be clamoring to drive up to the Dome to see them play as well.

usc was a stupid opponent, labor day weekend is also a stupid date.

its certainly not a doomsday event as many of you make it out to be.

this year should be better, since its penn st.

Realistically Notre Dame just killed any chance for an ACC network to be successful. With the SEC network announcement upcoming with ESPN the chance that ESPN is going to go to bat for 2 networks with cable carriers is highly unlikely. ESPN will get a s#it for the SEC network, but because of their football brand it will be easier to sell if the ACC network had Notre Dame under the ESPN umbrella it would have atleast been a little easier, but now that Notre Dame resigned with NBC then the ACC network is doomed to fail. It will still be invested and probably created, but it will fail because ESPN won't want to leverage it and without the benefit of Notre Dame 3rd tier football rights its worth a lot less in ESPN's mind.
This news is a major league kick in the nuts and confirms Notre Dame is POS and only cares about Notre Dame. The ACC won't add Notre Dame as a full time member either IMO because of this news.

I think you have it right.

Once again Notre Dame is all for Notre Dame.

Hard to root for such a selfish organization - truly selfish - the Golden Dome should be the photo next to the word in the Oxford Dictionary.

Yuck.

I think you have it right.

Once again Notre Dame is all for Notre Dame.

Hard to root for such a selfish organization - truly selfish - the Golden Dome should be the photo next to the word in the Oxford Dictionary.

Yuck.
I dislike ND as much as the next guy, but I don't blame them for looking out for #1. Cuse did the same thing by going to the ACC. If roles were reversed we would do the exact same thing.

i am saying WIN.

i am saying play in Giants Stadium. but lets be clear, very few fans who see the Orange in Giants Stadium are going to be clamoring to drive up to the Dome to see them play as well.

usc was a stupid opponent, labor day weekend is also a stupid date.

its certainly not a doomsday event as many of you make it out to be.

this year should be better, since its penn st.
Kaiser these Metlife games are perfect if its a true neutral game where neither side is giving up a home game like the Penn State game this year or if its an opponent like Boston College, NC State, Louisville that will go to the Dome other times, these schools are names that can atleast attract SU downstate fans/alumni to go to the games, but to sell marquee home games down state doesn't increase SU's brand. The ND series is a 2-0-2 and the 2 Metlife games will be lucky to be 50-50 SU-ND fans. If the game was at SU it may only have 45k, but with the program not at its nadir like it was with Penn State in 2008 the crowd would clearly give SU a homefield advantage. The games in Metlife against ND will not be SU home games and the crowd will probably have more ND fans than SU fans. This idea isn't a bad thing to have a game at Metlife just don''t sellout your local fanbase on the best game or then don't bitch when only 40k show up to the Dome.

I'm not a champ but I will wait to see what happens. The people running this have a plan. How about waiting to see it before we say the network is doomed?
Listen, Dasher I don't want to debate you as I like your posts and if you disagree with me fine, but I am giving my opinion. I don't WANT TO BE RIGHT, but I am a realist and don't sugarcoat my feelings if they are negative I am sorry, but my opinions have some sense in them.

Kaiser these Metlife games are perfect if its a true neutral game where neither side is giving up a home game like the Penn State game this year or if its an opponent like Boston College, NC State, Louisville that will go to the Dome other times, these schools are names that can atleast attract SU downstate fans/alumni to go to the games, but to sell marquee home games down state doesn't increase SU's brand. The ND series is a 2-0-2 and the 2 Metlife games will be lucky to be 50-50 SU-ND fans. If the game was at SU it may only have 45k, but with the program not at its nadir like it was with Penn State in 2008 the crowd would clearly give SU a homefield advantage. The games in Metlife against ND will not be SU home games and the crowd will probably have more ND fans than SU fans. This idea isn't a bad thing to have a game at Metlife just don''t sellout your local fanbase on the best game or then don't bitch when only 40k show up to the Dome.
If someone doesn't go to Dome games because SU plays one marquee game a year at the MetLife they're an idiot.

If someone doesn't go to Dome games because SU plays one marquee game a year at the MetLife they're an idiot.
We can sell more season tickets with Notre Dame on the schedule and since season tickets are cheap it helps SU get more people to other games. C'mon you are better than that and you know what my point was.