Notre Dame and NBC renew football partnership through 2025. | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Notre Dame and NBC renew football partnership through 2025.

Even if those people who attend the ND game at the Dome are fans of "events" rather than the team, the simple fact is having a couple anchor home games on the schedule helps move more season tickets. It's indisputable.

Same thing holds true for hoops. Having a big name team from OOC coming to the Dome did move the needle for season tickets, and obviously for that game. People remember big games for a generation. That's how fans are made. How many people can tell you about big games they attended ("I was at the Final Four at the Meadowlands..." "I was at the Notre Dame game at the Dome.") That's how you hook a fan for life. We've had so many great Georgetown games at the Dome, can you imagine what it's going to be like the first time Duke and North Carolina come here to play? Gotta be 35,000 plus for each game and it will be insane!

When I was a kid, for me it was seeing Floyd Little two or three times when I was about 5 and 6 years old. The guy seemed like he could take it to the house every single time he touched the ball, especially on kick returns. We played big time teams - UCLA - how exotic to a local kid that a team came all the way from Los Angeles to play us, and they had those gorgeous uniforms. Man, they looked cool !

And then I got to see Gayle Sayers come here to play. Even to a young kid, everybody knew this guy was an elite talent. Those things stuck with me forever. Seeing Larry Csonka as a little kid bulldoze people with his runs up the middle.

Yes, some of those memories are without regard to who we played, but there is nothing like a big game atmosphere where the crowd is all pumped up and loud and rowdy. You need to have those on your home schedule.
They don't move enough season tickets to make MetLife not the better option -- at least according to the SUAD. And again, no one can say ND would agree to play at the Dome again. And few teams move the needle like ND -- OSU, Michigan, Texas ... who's to say, in 2013, in the age of moving big college games to NFL stadiums, they'll agree to come to the Dome? My only argument in this whole debate is that people who don't attend the remaining SU games because SU plays one marquee game a year at MetLife are idiots. Would I love to see ND in the Dome again? Absolutely. But I don't care if the only way SU can play them in a "home" game is at MetLife -- it's still a win for Syracuse.

Also, I can conjure up another "big game" scenario -- there's a 7-year-old Long Island kid who attends ND-SU at MetLife. The kid falls in love with Syracuse -- because of Otto, we win, he likes orange, whatever. That kid then begs his father to take him to the Dome. And while we're being fanciful, the kid becomes a blue chip linebacker and chooses to play at Syracuse.

Lastly, SU was approached to play ND at MetLife -- it's not as though they're going to let SU play the Tulane game there.

They don't move enough season tickets to make MetLife not the better option -- at least according to the SUAD. And again, no one can say ND would agree to play at the Dome again. And few teams move the needle like ND -- OSU, Michigan, Texas ... who's to say, in 2013, in the age of moving big college games to NFL stadiums, they'll agree to come to the Dome. My only argument in this whole debate is that people who don't attend the remaining SU games because SU plays one marquee game a year at MetLife are idiots. Would I love to see ND in the Dome again? Absolutely. But I don't care if the only way SU can play them in a "home" game is at MetLife -- it's still a win for Syracuse.

Also, I can conjure up another "big game" scenario -- there's a 7-year-old Long Island kids who attends ND-SU at MetLife. The kid falls in love with Syracuse -- because of Otto, we win, he likes orange, whatever. That kid then begs his father to take him to the Dome. And while we're being fanciful, the kid becomes a blue chip linebacker and chooses to play at Syracuse.

Lastly, SU was approached to play ND at MetLife -- it's not as though they're going to let SU play the Tulane game there.
Use your logic here who do you think will have more fans at the SU-ND game at Metlife? If you don't say ND you are not being realistic. Metlife stadium seats 82k for football. The Upper Deck at Metlife seats 28k so the lower bowls seat 54k. Attendance for SU-USC was 39,507 which is less than half of the Metlife Stadium. Out of those 39.5k I am going to be optimistic and would venture USC had 6k SU had 30k and 3.5k were local fans to see a game. When SU plays ND instead of getting 30k maybe we will get 40k for the ND game that is going to leave 42k for ND to gobble and make them a neutral site game for what you are calling an SU home game. That is not a home game and that is if SU can get 10k more than they got for a TWO NUMBERED(Fraudulently as we found out) ranked USC. SU makes no money on the gate at the games for Metlife as they sold the games to Metlife for whatever guarantee they got from the stadium maybe they have benchmarks for they get paid depending on attendance but your defense of these actions is your right but they make SU look amateurish. If we could have a clear homefield advantage at Metlife maybe your argument would have merit but we won't have a homefield advantage against Notre Dame there and if you believe we will I have a bridge to sell you. If I was advising Dr. Gross I would terminate the contract with Metlife immediately or restructure it in a way that doesn't put opponents in that building that will cause supposed Syracuse home games to become neutral/road games.

Use your logic here who do you think will have more fans at the SU-ND game at Metlife? If you don't say ND you are not being realistic. Metlife stadium seats 82k for football. The Upper Deck at Metlife seats 28k so the lower bowls seat 54k. Attendance for SU-USC was 39,507 which is less than half of the Metlife Stadium. Out of those 39.5k I am going to be optimistic and would venture USC had 6k SU had 30k and 3.5k were local fans to see a game. When SU plays ND instead of getting 30k maybe we will get 40k for the ND game that is going to leave 42k for ND to gobble and make them a neutral site game for what you are calling an SU home game. That is not a home game and that is if SU can get 10k more than they got for a TWO NUMBERED(Fraudulently as we found out) ranked USC. SU makes no money on the gate at the games for Metlife as they sold the games to Metlife for whatever guarantee they got from the stadium maybe they have benchmarks for they get paid depending on attendance but your defense of these actions is your right but they make SU look amateurish. If we could have a clear homefield advantage at Metlife maybe your argument would have merit but we won't have a homefield advantage against Notre Dame there and if you believe we will I have a bridge to sell you. If I was advising Dr. Gross I would terminate the contract with Metlife immediately or restructure it in a way that doesn't put opponents in that building that will cause supposed Syracuse home games to become neutral/road games.
I have no doubt ND fans will outnumber SU fans at MetLife -- by a sizable amount. It still beats playing a seventh true home game against Akron while ND plays UConn at MetLife.

Brand awareness and the benefits that accrue from it take time and will be measured over years. It is not measured by a single game or metric (attendance at a game).

I have no doubt ND fans will outnumber SU fans at MetLife -- by a sizable amount. It still beats playing a seventh true home game against Akron while ND plays UConn at MetLife.
First off UConn turned down the deal we took, second I don't want my program acting like a 2-dollar you know what just for the money. SU is going to be receiving enough money from the ACC TV contract to act above it. If ND wanted to play just games at Metlife and they took a certain cut and we took a certain cut I would have no problem with games at Metlife, but our program can get home and homes from B1G, Big XII, most SEC, old Big East teams before I will allow ND to treat us like we are Northern Illinois or Nevada. Notre Dame played at Boston College last year, and Wake Forest the year before both stadiums seat less than the Dome Notre Dame could and should play us in the Dome if they want to play us in football. Dr. Gross can easily terminate the contract, and starting in 2014 when ND is going to play 5 ACC games he is going to allow Notre Dame to have its way again and count a game at Metlife which is suppose to be SU game at home against Notre Dame count as one of the 5 most likely. Thus, ND will be getting a game that should be at SU into a pseudo home game in Metlife, why can't people wake up and realize ND is screwing us and tell Dr. Gross to man up now and force that game to be where it should be.

Brand awareness and the benefits that accrue from it take time and will be measured over years. It is not measured by a single game or metric (attendance at a game).
I like you xc84 but positions like this are we ND gets away with the crap they do. Playing USC at Metlife was a failure call it for what it was. 39.5k there is a joke we could gotten that if not more at the Dome. The benefit from the games are that SU is going to cash a big check from the Metlife people that is it. SU has a good brand in NY/NYC as is right now with the games we have played in the Pinstripe Bowl playing a game at Metlife during NFL season isn't going to do much for SU. This series was a smart decision by Dr. Gross when revenue streams were weak in the Big East, but with the ACC life preserver they are not needed and should not be played if they will not benefit SU with a homefield advantage.

[W]hy can't people wake up and realize ND is screwing us and tell Dr. Gross to man up now and force that game to be where it should be.
Because we're not children? Your arguments are not novel -- nor have they swayed the people making the call.

And you can dismiss them all you want, but there are ancillary benefits for "New York's College Team" to play in the state's largest media market. It's more than just money.

Lastly, I know UConn turned them down -- Rutgers too, no? -- think the Huskies would do that now?

Because we're not children? Your arguments are not novel -- nor have they swayed the people making the call.

And you can dismiss them all you want, but there are ancillary benefits for "New York's College Team" to play in the state's largest media market. It's more than just money.

Lastly, I know UConn turned them down -- Rutgers too, no? -- think the Huskies would do that now?
I am done talking about this you have your opinion and I have mine. Some great conference partner/mate Notre Dame is.

I like you xc84 but positions like this are we ND gets away with the crap they do. Playing USC at Metlife was a failure call it for what it was. 39.5k there is a joke we could gotten that if not more at the Dome. The benefit from the games are that SU is going to cash a big check from the Metlife people that is it. SU has a good brand in NY/NYC as is right now with the games we have played in the Pinstripe Bowl playing a game at Metlife during NFL season isn't going to do much for SU. This series was a smart decision by Dr. Gross when revenue streams were weak in the Big East, but with the ACC life preserver they are not needed and should not be played if they will not benefit SU with a homefield advantage.

Don't forget that we got a lot more coverage for that game because of proximity of the national media in NYC and northern NJ. That paid long term dividends. Now that we have a better annual home schedule thanks to being in the ACC, this doesn't trouble me as much. Back when we were at our weakest point is when we made these deals, and they are helpful in reviving the SU football brand. I wouldn't keep doing this, but as a once-in-a-while thing, I'm OK with it now, after having been initially opposed, when it looked like the ONLY attractive games on our home schedule were all going to be moved.

I think I can boil it down to this. This is a strategy to help SU. No one at the University is thinking "How can I help Notre Dame at our expense". There must be someone who believes this will all help SU in the LONG RUN. We won't find out if they were right for years to come...and even then, it's an imperfect science. The only thing I know for sure is that I have enjoyed the mini road trips to Metlife and will continue to do so.

3/4 of the football budget-SPIN
NY's College Team $$ wasted better spent upstate making SU upstate collegs team beforeyou reach for the moon. Institute of higher learning, I begin to wonder.

why does Syracuse need a home field advantage?

35-40k Syracuse fans in Giants Stadium to see them play ND is 30-35k more Syracuse fans than there would be in south bend...and likely the same amount as in the Dome.

this game should be done on a 6-5-1 or...lordy lordy please make it happen...a 7-4-1 basis.

do you know how many millions of people drive by Giants Stadium and see the big block S telling them Syracuse is playing there this august??

that kind of advertising and press doesnt have a $$ amount attached to it, but if it did...you are talking millions.

this is about establishing Syracuse as the preeminent football team in the northeast.

so sorry that gets in your way of another game v akron or whatever.

Oh Lord

Becoming the "preeminent in the northeast is possible.SS will need to bring in the rated recruiting class he promised with his coaching staff in place We are not that far away at this point. Some may disagree but we are closer now than we have been in a very long time.A teak here and there for the offense and we will put points on the board to make it easier for Shafer's defense to get the job done.

why does Syracuse need a home field advantage?

35-40k Syracuse fans in Giants Stadium to see them play ND is 30-35k more Syracuse fans than there would be in south bend...and likely the same amount as in the Dome.

this game should be done on a 6-5-1 or...lordy lordy please make it happen...a 7-4-1 basis.

do you know how many millions of people drive by Giants Stadium and see the big block S telling them Syracuse is playing there this august??

that kind of advertising and press doesnt have a $$ amount attached to it, but if it did...you are talking millions.

this is about establishing Syracuse as the preeminent football team in the northeast.

so sorry that gets in your way of another game v akron or whatever.

Oh Lord
Listen I realize you and the other's points have some merits, and I would like to think you guys see some of the merits in my points as well. I am not opposed to SU playing games at Metlife. I like the idea of starting each season at Metlife against a good BCS team and making it into a preseason bowl game a la the Chick-Fil-A game in Atlanta and the Cowboys Classic in Dallas. I am against SU playing Notre Dame in games in Metlife where the return games are in South Bend. SU shouldn't play its "home" games in an atmosphere where the opposition will have more fans. When we play Penn State this year they will outnumber us as that cult won't have a bowl game this year and they going to use this game as their bowl game and we may have 55k Nittie fans and 25k SU fans, but we aren't going to play them in Beaver next year giving them a home game like we are with Notre Dame. I realize that contract was signed when we were in the Big East, but with the ACC move for ND they should ask SU where they want their home game to be played when ND plays SU during their ACC obligation. If SU wanted to play 1 game a year in Metlife I would rotate it among the following: NC State, Boston College, Wake Forest, Louisville, and Pitt. These opponents will be on SU's schedule for the forseeable future all except Pitt are ACC Atlantic division opponents and have high enough brands for SU to be able to get similar crowds to the one they got for the USC game.
I wouldn't schedule teams in home and home agreements play our game on the road and then play our home game at Metlife that is what teams in MAC and lower level do and Syracuse should not do that if they want to be a premier Northeast football brand. If they rotated an ACC Atlantic opponent its a win-win for everybody. That additional game doesn't have to be Akron, but can be a home/home with a Northwestern, Vanderbilt, Iowa, Auburn, etc.

Brett McMurphy@McMurphyESPN
ND's ACC foes: 2014-Home: UNC, UL, Wake; At FSU, SU; 2015-Home: BC, GT; At Clem, Pitt, UVa; 2016-Home: Duke, UM, VT; At: NCSU, SU
Its unknown where the @SU games will be played yet.
Edit: the 2014 game is in Metlife, and the 2016 is unknown yet, but SU doesn't have to play at South Bend and these games become just 2 games at Metlife I think of SU fans will be okay with this, as we won't be playing them in neutral/road deal. If the 2016 game is at the Dome its a home run if not, then atleast we got these Metlife games out of the way. I still think SU should play its games against ND at the Dome, but atleast this better and we are the only team playing them twice in the first 3 years.

Just about to post that - gotta imagine one of those will be in NYC

What happened to the games scheduled @ND? It's not listed in his tweet. Is this considered above & beyond the ACC allotment or will the compromise be just 2 games in Metlife?

What happened to the games scheduled @ND? It's not listed in his tweet. Is this considered above & beyond the ACC allotment or will the compromise be just 2 games in Metlife?
It appears the other ACC schools are going to do the games @ND so I can live with this compromise and not complain. 2 ND-SU games at Metlife and no games at SB for the next 3 years is a win-win.

It appears the other ACC schools are going to do the games @ND so I can live with this compromise and not complain. 2 ND-SU games at Metlife and no games at SB for the next 3 years is a win-win.
i wanted to go to south bend, but this is better. we will see.

now this....If SU wanted to play 1 game a year in Metlife I would rotate it among the following: NC State, Boston College, Wake Forest, Louisville, and Pitt. These opponents will be on SU's schedule for the forseeable future all except Pitt are ACC Atlantic division opponents and have high enough brands for SU to be able to get similar crowds to the one they got for the USC game......is asinine.

i am 220% against that.

weve covered this before, heres your Giants Stadium opponents:

penn st
notre dame
ohio st
michigan
wisconsin
and if people want to prove that tennessee, nebraska and texas will represent...im listening.

otherwise...every game in the Dome.

Oh Lord

For series movign forward against top tier teams like ND, Penn State, USC, Michigan, etc etc, it should be 1-1-1. I have nothing against a game in Metlife but SU should get a home game in its home stadium, which contrary to some opinion on this thread is the Dome.

Brett McMurphy@McMurphyESPN
ND's ACC foes: 2014-Home: UNC, UL, Wake; At FSU, SU; 2015-Home: BC, GT; At Clem, Pitt, UVa; 2016-Home: Duke, UM, VT; At: NCSU, SU
Its unknown where the @SU games will be played yet.
Edit: the 2014 game is in Metlife, and the 2016 is unknown yet, but SU doesn't have to play at South Bend and these games become just 2 games at Metlife I think of SU fans will be okay with this, as we won't be playing them in neutral/road deal. If the 2016 game is at the Dome its a home run if not, then atleast we got these Metlife games out of the way. I still think SU should play its games against ND at the Dome, but atleast this better and we are the only team playing them twice in the first 3 years.

Ripping up the original ND/SU deal and replacing it with a 2 game series at MetLife is acceptable to me. From now on it should be a one off neutral site game against a top opponent or a Penn State style 1-1-1.

3/4 of the football budget-SPIN
NY's College Team $$ wasted better spent upstate making SU upstate collegs team beforeyou reach for the moon. Institute of higher learning, I begin to wonder.
If they are making a guaranteed 2 million dollars more to play in the Meadowlands than the Dome why wouldn't they do that? What are you talking about?

i wanted to go to south bend, but this is better. we will see.

now this....If SU wanted to play 1 game a year in Metlife I would rotate it among the following: NC State, Boston College, Wake Forest, Louisville, and Pitt. These opponents will be on SU's schedule for the forseeable future all except Pitt are ACC Atlantic division opponents and have high enough brands for SU to be able to get similar crowds to the one they got for the USC game......is asinine.

i am 220% against that.

weve covered this before, heres your Giants Stadium opponents:

penn st
notre dame
ohio st
michigan
wisconsin
and if people want to prove that tennessee, nebraska and texas will represent...im listening.

otherwise...every game in the Dome.

Oh Lord

id add west Virginia to the list above

http://www.nunesmagician.com/2013/4/19/4243816/syracuse-football-2014-2016-notre-dame-metlife-acc

2014 in Met Life
2015 gone
2016 in Met Life (although still listed as a road game for ND)
2017 ???

I am OK with giving up a return game in South Bend for two games in NYC at MetLife. I will not be happy if the 2015 & 2017 games are simply moved to the future in 2018 and 2020 or something along those lines. All ACC teams get a home game with the Irish and that game better take place in the Dome in the future.