NYT does Calipari | Syracusefan.com

NYT does Calipari

Status
Not open for further replies.
Calimari is a serious nominee for the Basketball Hall of Fame? :vomit:

Are they trying to get him in before more of his accomplishments get vacated?

Yet boeheim should be publically shamed for some bs w fab melo.

Right, because the NCAA chooses to what standard a coach / university should be held based on the level of sanctions they have already chosen to levy. Makes perfect sense. I talk to lots of Calipari apologists that will chirp all day long that none of the misdeeds that occured at his previous schools had anything to do with him directly.

And yet everything that happened at Syracuse was JB's fault becuase of the "atmosphere of non-compliance" he created. He may not of told people to cheat, but that look in his eye or the way he carried himself as he walked through the room made people feel like they should.

Right, because the NCAA chooses to what standard a coach / university should be held based on the level of sanctions they have already chosen to levy. Makes perfect sense. I talk to lots of Calipari apologists that will chirp all day long that none of the misdeeds that occured at his previous schools had anything to do with him directly.

And yet everything that happened at Syracuse was JB's fault becuase of the "atmosphere of non-compliance" he created. He may not of told people to cheat, but that look in his eye or the way he carried himself as he walked through the room made people feel like they should.

Very interesting point you raise. Agree 100%.

Hopefully some of our blind posters will see the light about PayPalCal now.

Lol Dean the Dream. Thanks for the barely veiled cheap shot at me.

That article was a hatchet job and incredibly lazy journalism. Par for the NYT.

He says Camby "accepted large sums of cash and services". Why doesn't he quantify rather than leave the reader thinking it's mega dollars? Cuz the figure was less than $40K. And how on earth can the coach be blamed for a player taking money from an agent? If JB were in that spot would you hold him responsible for that?

Derrick Rose allegedly cheating on the SAT when he was in high school? That's Calipari's fault? Seriously? That's Calipari's fault too?

I'm sure Cal is not Father Flanigan but if that's all the author of that hit piece has then he swung and missed big time.

My guess is that Cal has broken more than a few rules, but I don't think he is the problem. I've felt (well before we got hit with current sanctions) that the rules need to be changed. I'd like to see division 1 football and men's basketball split into two divisions. The first would be a premier division where players are paid, they can purse endorsements, and we figure out exactly how we want academics and eligibility to fit in. The second division would be for schools that couldn't afford to compete in this environment which would be more similar to division 2 or 3. There would still be athletic scholarships, but there could be more of an emphasis on the student-athlete. There would certainly be some schools that would be in one division for basketball and another for football. I know I am hardly the first (on this board as well) to suggest such changes.

Just like in other big time sports leagues, I do feel that there should still be policies in place regarding drug testing and if athletes run afoul of other laws. Let's make these universal across the division, rather than different among teams or conferences. From everything I understand about this Kentucky team, this has not been a problem. And someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think generally across his career, Cal's players don't run into legal problems any more often than other major programs.

My guess is that Cal has broken more than a few rules, but I don't think he is the problem. I've felt (well before we got hit with current sanctions) that the rules need to be changed. I'd like to see division 1 football and men's basketball split into two divisions. The first would be a premier division where players are paid, they can purse endorsements, and we figure out exactly how we want academics and eligibility to fit in. The second division would be for schools that couldn't afford to compete in this environment which would be more similar to division 2 or 3. There would still be athletic scholarships, but there could be more of an emphasis on the student-athlete. There would certainly be some schools that would be in one division for basketball and another for football. I know I am hardly the first (on this board as well) to suggest such changes.

Just like in other big time sports leagues, I do feel that there should still be policies in place regarding drug testing and if athletes run afoul of other laws. Let's make these universal across the division, rather than different among teams or conferences. From everything I understand about this Kentucky team, this has not been a problem. And someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think generally across his career, Cal's players don't run into legal problems any more often than other major programs.
I read the linked article above, but I had heard of these things before, cash payments, someboday else taking an SAT for Rose, allegations of academic fraud - on what looks like a much grander scale then what happened at Syracuse. You do not think he knew? or should be held accountable? Talk about creating an atmosphere of non-compliance. Doesn't seem the NCAA has the nuts to publically shame him the way they did JB. I don't think JB is an angel either but I think he has run his program with much more integrity then Calipari.

I read the linked article above, but I had heard of these things before, cash payments, someboday else taking an SAT for Rose, allegations of academic fraud - on what looks like a much grander scale then what happened at Syracuse. You do not think he knew? or should be held accountable? Talk about creating an atmosphere of non-compliance. Doesn't seem the NCAA has the nuts to publically shame him the way they did JB. I don't think JB is an angel either but I think he has run his program with much more integrity then Calipari.

I'm reasonably sure he knew and yes, I neglected to say he should be held accountable for this . I just think going forward we need a new system.

He says Camby "accepted large sums of cash and services". Why doesn't he quantify rather than leave the reader thinking it's mega dollars? Cuz the figure was less than $40K. And how on earth can the coach be blamed for a player taking money from an agent? If JB were in that spot would you hold him responsible for that?

Derrick Rose allegedly cheating on the SAT when he was in high school? That's Calipari's fault? Seriously? That's Calipari's fault too?

I'm sure Cal is not Father Flanigan but if that's all the author of that hit piece has then he swung and missed big time.
Just curious but are you one of Calapari's handlers.

That's the point. JB was held responsible for things PayPal gets a free pass on. JB gets nailed for a guy getting paid a few bucks for working at the YMCA when it should have been volunteer work. Calipari gets the pass on Camby getting paid "less than $40K" (I love how that's not a large sum of money to you) for being Camby.

You seemed to miss the part where multiple players were on academic probation and where he fought to keep academic oversight in the athletic department (I'm sure that second part was on the up-and-up). I'm sure that was just an oversight on your part.

Inconsistency in the NCAA. If JB is to be held responsible, Calipari should have the same punishment coming.

Would you be ready for SU to be in the lower division?

images

Would you be ready for SU to be in the lower division?
I think most teams from power conferences would be in the upper 1, but honestly I could live with it... Like I said, they could be in one for basketball and one for football.

I think most teams from power conferences would be in the upper 1, but honestly I could live with it... Like I said, they could be in one for basketball and one for football.
It would be interesting to see where most of the private schools would end up. Right now boosters are kept in check to a certain extent by the amateur status of the athletes. If players could get paid, the schools with the richest alumni support would pay the best and get the best athletes. I don't think TV revenue from conference affiliations would be as beneficial to a school like SU because booster support for the big state schools would trump it. I think interest in the lower divisions would plummet, similar to current interest in lower divisions.

Status
Not open for further replies.