NYT does Calipari | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

NYT does Calipari

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's the point. JB was held responsible for things PayPal gets a free pass on. JB gets nailed for a guy getting paid a few bucks for working at the YMCA when it should have been volunteer work. Calipari gets the pass on Camby getting paid "less than $40K" (I love how that's not a large sum of money to you) for being Camby.

You seemed to miss the part where multiple players were on academic probation and where he fought to keep academic oversight in the athletic department (I'm sure that second part was on the up-and-up). I'm sure that was just an oversight on your part.

Inconsistency in the NCAA. If JB is to be held responsible, Calipari should have the same punishment coming.

I'm not saying $40k is insignificant but why not quantify? I'm sure most readers would expect "large sums" to mean even more $$$ than that when you figure how much Camby's contract was worth. But forget that, if an SU player took $$$ from an agent would that be JB's fault? Looking forward to your answer.

As for the multiple players on academic probation- I didn't miss that. I bet that goes on all over the place. The key is not to get caught having your staff rewriting term papers.

It would be interesting to see where most of the private schools would end up. Right now boosters are kept in check to a certain extent by the amateur status of the athletes. If players could get paid, the schools with the richest alumni support would pay the best and get the best athletes. I don't think TV revenue from conference affiliations would be as beneficial to a school like SU because booster support for the big state schools would trump it. I think interest in the lower divisions would plummet, similar to current interest in lower divisions.

That could certainly happen. For the record, I'd be in favor of a salary cap - and I also think the NCAA should be responsible for part of the salary.

That's the best ya got? Weak.
Nah I got more but you ain't worth the time and effort. however in closing you can use thsee as your Avatars to help with the blinders you have on-
upload_2015-3-26_13-0-14.jpeg
2512d3bb6978b245c4f004d595fac50a.jpg

I'm not saying $40k is insignificant but why not quantify? I'm sure most readers would expect "large sums" to mean even more $$$ than that when you figure how much Camby's contract was worth. But forget that, if an SU player took $$$ from an agent would that be JB's fault? Looking forward to your answer.

As for the multiple players on academic probation- I didn't miss that. I bet that goes on all over the place. The key is not to get caught having your staff rewriting term papers.
You're missing my point. JB got nailed for something Calipari has skated on. Either JB shouldn't have been or Calipari should be. There are wild inconsistencies.

What's most alarming in the statement about the players being on academic probation is how hard Calipari fought for control to be within the athletic department. Why do that if your players are taking care of business? Here's why. They weren't, he knew it, and he was going to make sure they played despite it.

I know none of this will change your mind. You're too in love with him for that to happen.

Last edited:
I think the Rose situation was one of the reasons why the push for the coach accountability clause happened, and why the penalties can follow coaches if they leave schools. If we are supposed to hold Boeheim accountable for knowing about his players' academics, why not question if it is reasonable that Cal had no idea how the #1 recruit in the country suddenly qualified on his final SAT chance.

Adjust for inflation!

Meh, he may be a cheater but I think most kids that play for him feel he acts in their interests.
Isn't that the way all kids think, if they get what they want? It's part of the immaturity of being a kid.

That's the point. JB was held responsible for things PayPal gets a free pass on. JB gets nailed for a guy getting paid a few bucks for working at the YMCA when it should have been volunteer work. Calipari gets the pass on Camby getting paid "less than $40K" (I love how that's not a large sum of money to you) for being Camby.

You seemed to miss the part where multiple players were on academic probation and where he fought to keep academic oversight in the athletic department (I'm sure that second part was on the up-and-up). I'm sure that was just an oversight on your part.

Inconsistency in the NCAA. If JB is to be held responsible, Calipari should have the same punishment coming.

How did Calipari get a free pass on anything? His final four was vacated. He's gotten crap from the NCAA, JB has gotten crap from the NCAA. Nobody is calling Cal a saint but don't act like nothing has happened to him.

How did Calipari get a free pass on anything? His final four was vacated. He's gotten crap from the NCAA, JB has gotten crap from the NCAA. Nobody is calling Cal a saint but don't act like nothing has happened to him.

Calipari has never been suspended, and he's never had recruiting sanctions placed on HIM. The sanctions were placed on the programs after he left, and like JB he was never directly implicated in any violation.

OK, I'll rephrase - I think Cal acts in the kids interests more than the NCAA does. And I think if you asked these kids 10 years later, they'd agree.

Honestly, I just think Calipari's supporters are blinded by his charisma and charm. He is a master schmoozer at all levels and has a great ability (from listening to his interviews and press conferences) to turn a negative question into a positive answer. He is a world class salesman who knows how to make people feel good and give them what they want. So they make excuses for him like the poster above, that you can make for any other coach who has broken rules, but for some reason these excuses only apply to Calipari.

It's not logical, it's purely emotional. He has managed to charm not just the NCAA but a program who he abandoned after the fire in the kitchen got too hot. That is ridiculous on the chutzpah scale, yet they still kiss his ass and go out of their way to defend him (like you can see in the NYT article).

Syracuse fans need to learn to deal with the fact that Boeheim got what he got, and Syracuse got what they got, because Boeheim does not have the people skills and optimistic kiss-ass view on life that Calipari does. That's what's really going on here. Otherwise the NCAA would've taken out their PR-influenced ass beating on a lesser but still prominent school that gets caught breaking some minor rules.

Boeheim's grumpy attitude ended up coming back to him, meanwhile everybody loves the con man. It's been happening like this since the beginning of time. When will people learn to ignore those emotions and do the right thing? That's the only mystery here for me.

Calipari has never been suspended, and he's never had recruiting sanctions placed on HIM. The sanctions were placed on the programs after he left, and like JB he was never directly implicated in any violation.

What was directly implicated on Cal?

Honestly, I just think Calipari's supporters are blinded by his charisma and charm. He is a master schmoozer at all levels and has a great ability (from listening to his interviews and press conferences) to turn a negative question into a positive answer. He is a world class salesman who knows how to make people feel good and give them what they want. So they make excuses for him like the poster above, that you can make for any other coach who has broken rules, but for some reason these excuses only apply to Calipari.

It's not logical, it's purely emotional. He has managed to charm not just the NCAA but a program who he abandoned after the fire in the kitchen got too hot. That is ridiculous on the chutzpah scale, yet they still kiss his ass and go out of their way to defend him (like you can see in the NYT article).

Syracuse fans need to learn to deal with the fact that Boeheim got what he got, and Syracuse got what they got, because Boeheim does not have the people skills and optimistic kiss-ass view on life that Calipari does. That's what's really going on here. Otherwise the NCAA would've taken out their PR-influenced ass beating on a lesser but still prominent school that gets caught breaking some minor rules.

Boeheim's grumpy attitude ended up coming back to him, meanwhile everybody loves the con man. It's been happening like this since the beginning of time. When will people learn to ignore those emotions and do the right thing? That's the only mystery here for me.

I can't stand listening to JC do interviews. He comes off as a smug . But I doubt he's been as dirty as many claim..especially since he took over at UK.

I can't stand listening to JC do interviews. He comes off as a smug . . . . . . But I doubt he's been as dirty as many claim..especially since he took over at UK.

I've met people just like him. I assure you that in his presence he'll get you smiling and loving him. It's hard to resist those types of people.

Is he as dirty as what message board fans think? Probably not, since they're filled with hyperbole. But the fact that he has managed to weave his way around the NCAA without any sort of punishment, while others coaches (like our own) get nailed, tell us something about his character and "slipperiness".

Also, I do believe his program is actually MORE dirty than 99% of programs for the simple reason that they have too many top 10 recruits and one and dones. Those players are constantly surrounded by handlers and agents. There is a long cash trail surrounding them. I guarantee you that Calipari sets it up so that he knows as little as possible. If the NCAA sniffed around half as much as they sniffed around us, they would find possibly millions of dollars exchanging hands over the years.

What was directly implicated on Cal?

Nothing, just like nothing was implicated on JB. We agree on this. That was my point.

The difference is Cal has never been directly affected by any sanction because he leaves before the hammer comes down.

I agree he's a great salesman. However, as an outsider who never benefitted from Cal in any way (OK, I'm from Massachusetts so we got some good basketball out of it) I feel that he acts more in the interests of his players than the NCAA does. Does he benefit from this? Absolutely, he probably wouldn't do it otherwise. But I still think that among his faults, not looking out for his players isn't one of them.

Last edited:
I've met people just like him. I assure you that in his presence he'll get you smiling and loving him. It's hard to resist those types of people.

Is he as dirty as what message board fans think? Probably not, since they're filled with hyperbole. But the fact that he has managed to weave his way around the NCAA without any sort of punishment, while others coaches (like our own) get nailed, tell us something about his character and "slipperiness".

Also, I do believe his program is actually MORE dirty than 99% of programs for the simple reason that they have too many top 10 recruits and one and dones. Those players are constantly surrounded by handlers and agents. There is a long cash trail surrounding them. I guarantee you that Calipari sets it up so that he knows as little as possible. If the NCAA sniffed around half as much as they sniffed around us, they would find possibly millions of dollars exchanging hands over the years.

He was stripped of two Final Fours. That's not an insignificant punishment.

Everything else you say is speculation.

Wrong. He was stripped of nothing. The schools were the ones forced to vacate those final four appearances.

If I'm not allowed to have any speculation, then I'm afraid we have very little to talk about. I'd also suggest this thread and every thread on this forum be closed. Too much speculation.

Status
Not open for further replies.