O-line play was scary bad... | Syracusefan.com

O-line play was scary bad...

supp

Hall of Fame
If they had called some more plays dead and let the defenders hit the QB, the offensive stats would have looked even worse. On top of the Spring Game performance, Palmer's quote a couple of days ago about the players coaching themselves up has me worrying about Adam's abilities to put together a working lineup. I had dismissed the idea that his inexperience was a factor before but I'm starting to come around to that way of thinking.

If they had called some more plays dead and let the defenders hit the QB, the offensive stats would have looked even worse. On top of the Spring Game performance, Palmer's quote a couple of days ago about the players coaching themselves up has me worrying about Adam's abilities to put together a working lineup. I had dismissed the idea that his inexperience was a factor before but I'm starting to come around to that way of thinking.

Agreed and that line in the Roberts article has me very concerned.

"I'm still trying to teach him everything I know from when I played guard," Palmer said. "There's a lot that I learned over the last few years from Coach (Greg) Adkins and Coach (Pat) Perles that they emphasize more than Coach (Joe) Adam does, so I'm just trying to teach him what I know.

All I know is that adkins and perles coach circles around Adam so I don't see how that isn't concerning.

This team is going to get crushed with subpar offensive line play.

"I'm still trying to teach him everything I know from when I played guard," Palmer said. "There's a lot that I learned over the last few years from Coach (Greg) Adkins and Coach (Pat) Perles that they emphasize more than Coach (Joe) Adam does, so I'm just trying to teach him what I know.

All I know is that adkins and perles coach circles around Adam so I don't see how that isn't concerning.

I like to reserve judgment on these things, but this does have me concerned. Seems there is a bit too much smoke for there not to be some fire.

Yikes! Well, I guess that's why Shafer brought in Moreland to handle the tackles. Maybe this is a subtle way to show Adam the door?

Yikes! Well, I guess that's why Shafer brought in Moreland to handle the tackles. Maybe this is a subtle way to show Adam the door?

Just shouldn't do things like this subtly. Should've whacked him and brought in a veteran OL coach.

(Besides flood hiring fridge last year he also brought in Mitch browning to coach OL). That's what we needed to do with our OL.

Im a little nervous about the line and Adam ability to get the most out of them. Even without Trudo, that first unit should of had their way against that D line they were up against.

Im a little nervous about the line and Adam ability to get the most out of them. Even without Trudo, that first unit should of had their way against that D line they were up against.

Exactly - that was part of my point about we never see the 1s go against the 1s. If our line is playing our back ups - in a team that doesnt have much depth - they should have dominated. d like to see the 1s go against the 1s, so our O knows how far they have to go.

They had a damage control article that came out after the Palmer quotes. But I still think there's something off there.

They had a damage control article that came out after the Palmer quotes. But I still think there's something off there.

Agreed. Adam is dead weight as a line coach

The alarm bell should have been ringing last year. Too many people were willing to give him a pass. Sometimes it's better to go outside the friend zone when making important hires. Last years OL was far too experienced, and have performed too well the prior 2 years to be so bad as they were even with the injuries.

if hcss thought the line would be just fine with a coach that had little to no experience -who are we to second guess

so far its paid big dividends to the teams we play- dont hear them complaining do you?

the whole football program is scary bad. this program is this close(-) to being the rutgers definition of irrelevant. well if su tolerates this --oh well--

In football, it comes down to the line play, especially in college. If you can't run block and have a functioning offensive line, you're screwed. This is what kept Pasqualoni's teams going well all those years - DeLeone might not have been a very good guy at calling plays during a game, but he could always teach an offensive line to run block, and we had a 1000 yard rusher every year that those guys were here.

I have been concerned about our lack of run blocking for years. We've had maybe two good years of offensive line play in the last dozen. It sounds like our O line is going to suck again this year. So much for going back to basics and simplifying the play book. If you can't run block for basic plays in a glorified practice after your entire spring practice, then you might as well forget about the rest of it.

There was zero chance Shafer was firing Adam after one year when he left a HC position and moved his family. So he hired Moreland to help him. Bad situation.

Last edited:

Very disconcerting quote

Adam should really just move in to Bill Callahan's (or Marrone's) house. SU will pay rent.

With a new AD coming in it is hard to fight the perception that everyone is a short timer. I'm not sure who could be hired at this point unless they were on the beach already.Regardless of the reasons, last season really stopped us dead in our tracks. Tough to dig out of this hole. The future is in the Chancellor's hands more than ever.

Without question this is my single biggest concern for the upcoming season. Shafer says he lets his coaches coach. But IMO he needs to be all over Adam and Moreland because his job probably depends on it. Without an o-line that can establish some kind of running game this offense (and most offenses for that matter) are DOA.

Anyone that doesn't think shafer isn't in in o line meetings and so on isn't that bright. Of course he knows it's a make or break year, can we please take a deep breath and judge the team when ️season begins. Spring practice scrimmage isn't end all be all of the o line.

I remember awhile ago, or, not too long ago when it was bad to question any of Shafers hires/coaches. Or, voice any concerns about the upcoming season.

Are we allowed to question the program now?

I remember awhile ago, or, not too long ago when it was bad to question any of Shafers hires/coaches. Or, voice any concerns about the upcoming season.

Are we allowed to question the program now?

Actually, I don't have a problem with him building a staff of MAC coaches who were successful, and most of whom had worked together once or twice before. Makes a lot of sense, it was an effort to build chemistry with a mostly-new staff (remember, Doug took something like 9 coaches with him ...). The wives and families all knew each other. I think that's all good. These guys can be successful together, with a couple changes here or there. Maybe that takes a little more money for coaches, I don't know.

Last year was a shot to the body. This year is crucial. They must be competitive and be at least a .500 team. Have to be bowl eligible again. That begins and ends with getting the offensive line right. Then the rest will fall in place.

Last edited:
I just want to judge the line with Trudo in. Granted he's sliding to center, he still will be a four year starter and its a position he's played in high school. It would really be nice if we had a viable option at right tackle, because that is the major red flag. I really hope someone steps up so that we can slide Palmer back inside...I just don't see mcgloster being successful enough in pass pro to handle it. Would be a real reach to think Evan Adams can come in ready to start.

Here's to praying for a miracle.

Actually, I don't have a problem with him building a staff of MAC coaches who were successful, and most of whom had worked together once or twice before. Makes a lot of sense, it was an effort to build chemistry with a mostly-new staff (remember, Doug took something like 9 coaches with him ...). The wives and families all knew each other. I think that's all good. These guys can be successful together, with a couple changes here or there. Maybe that takes a little more money for coaches, I don't know.

Last year was a shot to the body. This year is crucial. They must be competitive and be at least a .500 team. Have to be bowl eligible again. That begins and ends with getting the offensive line right. Then the rest will fall in place.

I don't disagree at all but results are also a key part of the job. You also can't have an o-line coach that can't coach the o-line, it just can't happen. There are too many good o-line coaches out there.

Personally Foy, and Palmer have never impressed me as being able to handle the tackle positions. The spring seems to have been their opportunity to show they can, and they haven't, they could be on the bench as backups when the season starts.