Offense nugget from recruit | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Offense nugget from recruit

How about when Dunkelberger or Custis are split out wide and they throw away from the flow to Parris running free down the opposite seam?
they better recruit really good tight ends. plenty of schools don't bother, just put in a 4th WR with a million reps who knows exactly what to do

Nope, teams never use motion and formations to their advantage. Never happens.

So instead of having different packages where different guys have different responsibilities let's just have one guy learn all the responsibilities and hope he doesn't forget which is which. I never said you should just line up exactly the same every time and snap the ball, but making 1 guy learn 50 variations seems like overkill.

Let's just bring back the freeze option then shall we? While we're at it we can dust off the Veer, the Run and shoot, wishbone, and any other decades old offensive strategies you're so fond of from back in the day.

I'm fond of good offenses but wouldn't be particularly excited to be a Georgia Tech fan even though they have a good offense. Deleone loved to pass and had a good passing offense. Paul Johnson tries not to pass.

You're just biting your nose to spite your face.

The exaggerations in this thread are epic.
there are different schools of thought on this, it's not just me making this stuff up

good quote from tony franklin
"My whole deal with tight ends, I'd love to have a good tight end. But the key word is 'good.' I don't need a body just to be on the field to occupy the space. They need to be able to run. If I'm going to put somebody in the box to bring another defender in the box, they need to be able to block. If they can't block, why did I bring them into the box to bring another defender to have the guy get his butt whipped."

there are different schools of thought on this, it's not just me making this stuff up

good quote from tony franklin
"My whole deal with tight ends, I'd love to have a good tight end. But the key word is 'good.' I don't need a body just to be on the field to occupy the space. They need to be able to run. If I'm going to put somebody in the box to bring another defender in the box, they need to be able to block. If they can't block, why did I bring them into the box to bring another defender to have the guy get his butt whipped."

Gtech, Wisconsin, BC, Oregon all invite extra guys into the box, don't have great TE's - and pass into single coverage for large gains.

And what if you run out two? - and one is primarily a good blocker and the other a guy who can run? But both are good enough at the other to keep defenses honest?

Your bent is fine - I get it. Spread them out, pass it all over. But that doesn't mean that this system is without merit or can't be dynamic. Dunkelberger might be the key recruit this offseason.

Gtech, Wisconsin, BC, Oregon all invite extra guys into the box, don't have great TE's - and pass into single coverage for large gains.

And what if you run out two? - and one is primarily a good blocker and the other a guy who can run? But both are good enough at the other to keep defenses honest?

Your bent is fine - I get it. Spread them out, pass it all over. But that doesn't mean that this system is without merit or can't be dynamic. Dunkelberger might be the key recruit this offseason.

tell me more about georgia tech's tight ends

So instead of having different packages where different guys have different responsibilities let's just have one guy learn all the responsibilities and hope he doesn't forget which is which. I never said you should just line up exactly the same every time and snap the ball, but making 1 guy learn 50 variations seems like overkill.

50 variations, where do you get that from?

I'm fond of good offenses but wouldn't be particularly excited to be a Georgia Tech fan even though they have a good offense. Deleone loved to pass and had a good passing offense. Paul Johnson tries not to pass.

You're just biting your nose to spite your face.
If I'm biting my nose, it's because it has wing sauce on it. My point was, just because something worked when Clinton was President doesn't mean it will now.

50 variations, where do you get that from?
My honest concern is that instead of having a separate fullback or split-WR or whatever who specialize in certain packages/formations you are asking 1 guy to learn the job of 3. Maybe it's not really an issue, IDK. Seems that having to know 3 different guys blocking assignments instead of 1 could lead to missed blocks, missed reads, etc in the heat of the moment.

Yeah Deleone was terrible, his offenses were never good.

This is suggesting we won't be running kids on and off the field based on the play call or package. It's suggestion the same kid (the TE/HBack) will be asked to split out wide or move inside and run block. To me that seems like a less confused offense and an offense that will move quicker.

He's probably referring to the 2001 Deleone experiment. Spent the entire Spring and preseason implementing this red alarm motion to create mismatches. First game of the year, GT just sat in their base defense, watched us run around, and held us to 7 points (thanks to a questionable personal foul that kept our TD drive alive).

Next week, we tried it again and it didn't work (albeit against Tennessee).

Next week, we tried it again and it didn't work in the first half against UCF. At halftime we scrapped it, put RJ in, and just went went basic on offense for the rest of the year. Mungro ended up having a huge year. Freeney kept turning field position with sacks and fumbles, and we went on a winning streak.

At the end of the day, you just have to call plays that get guys open, and have players that can get open. And a QB that can get them the ball. And an OL that can give him time to do it.

He's probably referring to the 2001 Deleone experiment. Spent the entire Spring and preseason implementing this red alarm motion to create mismatches. First game of the year, GT just sat in their base defense, watched us run around, and held us to 7 points (thanks to a questionable personal foul that kept our TD drive alive).

Next week, we tried it again and it didn't work (albeit against Tennessee).

Next week, we tried it again and it didn't work in the first half against UCF. At halftime we scrapped it, put RJ in, and just went went basic on offense for the rest of the year. Mungro ended up having a huge year. Freeney kept turning field position with sacks and fumbles, and we went on a winning streak.

At the end of the day, you just have to call plays that get guys open, and have players that can get open. And a QB that can get them the ball. And an OL that can give him time to do it.
Was it 2000 when he started lining up Banewiecz or however you spell his name out at WR? i think i remember a cincy game on the road with that

Was it 2000 when he started lining up Banewiecz or however you spell his name out at WR? i think i remember a cincy game on the road with that

Those were great. We lined up 3 down linemen, split the other 2 out wide to block for a bubble screen. And then Nunes would bounce the pass out to the WR.

tell me more about georgia tech's tight ends

What's to tell? They don't throw the ball to them?

The point was that they invite extra guys into the box to create big plays with the passing game. They are #6 in yards per attempt at 9.1.

Let's just bring back the freeze option then shall we? While we're at it we can dust off the Veer, the Run and shoot, wishbone, and any other decades old offensive strategies you're so fond of from back in the day.

wildcat anyone?

How about when Dunkelberger or Custis are split out wide and they throw away from the flow to Parris running free down the opposite seam?

And who exactly is throwing this seam pass to a wide open Parris?

What's to tell? They don't throw the ball to them?

The point was that they invite extra guys into the box to create big plays with the passing game. They are #6 in yards per attempt at 9.1.
the point is that georgia tech doesn't even use the term tight end and their A back probably doesn't apply to anything we're going to do.

Those were great. We lined up 3 down linemen, split the other 2 out wide to block for a bubble screen. And then Nunes would bounce the pass out to the WR.
Crisp bounce passing is a challenge for a lot of college hoops players.

Oh. Wait. I see.

I think our tight ends pass the look test. Parris has good hands and can move. The problem was we didn't throw to them and we really don't have a Qb good enough to. There were a few threads through the course of the year asking why we don't use the tight ends.
Asking a TE to be able to line up tight, split out, and occasionally line up in the backfield is fairly common. If they struggle with that they better hope they have good grades cuz football is not in their future.

This sounds to me like the same stuff we were supposedly going to have Broyld and Estime run from the mythical H-back position.

Which, we all know, is actually a slot receiver.

So, we're putting a bigger guy in the slot.

the point is that georgia tech doesn't even use the term tight end and their A back probably doesn't apply to anything we're going to do.

Principle is the same, if you're talking guys in the box opening up the pass.

This sounds to me like the same stuff we were supposedly going to have Broyld and Estime run from the mythical H-back position.

or the true TE position, or in the backfield (which Estime/Broyld couldn't do)

Crisp bounce passing is a challenge for a lot of college hoops players.

Oh. Wait. I see.

Interesting story, my high school football coach put in a designed hitch pass that utilized a bounce pass. The whole point was for the ball to bounce (being a lateral) and for the defense to think it was a dead ball and give up, at which point I'd throw backside or playside depending on which DB didn't cover to a streaking wide receiver.

Principle is the same, if you're talking guys in the box opening up the pass.
i thought we were talking about the first post in this thread.

those a backs aren't slot receivers

you can go max protect and throw downfield, i get that.

they're going to recruit a bunch of blockers and then get fired and the next coach is going to have to wait years to get enough WR.

what a mess

and sometimes he'll move to the backfield and block. ugh