Class of 2016 - OG/DE Cameron DeGeorge (MA) Decommitted/Verbal to UConn | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2016 OG/DE Cameron DeGeorge (MA) Decommitted/Verbal to UConn

tep624 said:
I'm as harsh a critic of the direction of the PS as of late as you'll find, but I have to give credit where credit is due. I like that Bailey is following up with our verbals on this and I hope he continues to do so.

Bailey does a better job of covering football recruiting than anyone at the PS in the history of the paper.

High praise, but it's the truth.

http://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/re...scholarship/lGTJkNxn8YctiftzvPoBfN/story.html
degeorge 2.jpg

Syracuse University recruit Cam DeGeorge was getting in his conditioning work at Lynnfield High last week in preparation for his senior season.

Santos is working hard to earn a scholarship. Cam DeGeorge, a rising senior at Lynnfield High, is putting in just as much work to keep his. The 6-foot-5, 275-pound lineman has given a verbal commitment to attend Syracuse University.

“I want to play big-time football, and that’s what I’m going to do at Syracuse,” said DeGeorge, who received an offer after attending the Syracuse camp last summer.

After two more visits this year, he felt good enough about the Orange to turn down offers from UConn, North Carolina State, Temple, Holy Cross, and Colgate.

“I liked the way everything ran, I liked the facilities and the coaches,” said DeGeorge. “I could just see myself going there.”

Even though he has made a decision, DeGeorge is not relaxing this summer. In summer workouts at Lynnfield High this summer, he one of the first to finish every set of sprints, focusing on continual improvement, individually and as a team. He put his leadership on display, running the last sprint with one of his teammates who was struggling to finish the workout.

“I want to make everyone on the team the best they can be,” said DeGeorge. “We’re going to be successful if we put in the work as a team.” Lynnfield was 11-1 last fall.

http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/high_school/2015/09/cam_degeorge_ready_to_crush_it_at_Lynnfield

LYNNFIELD — Cam DeGeorge took care of his college intentions in April by committing to Syracuse.

Now, the Lynnfield senior lineman’s focus is set squarely on helping his team get to a Super Bowl for the second time in four years.

Thrown into the fire as a freshman filling in to combat injuries, DeGeorge played next to his brother, DJ, on their way to a bowl appearance at Gillette Stadium.

“My first year was pretty amazing, playing on the line with my brother. He was right guard and I was right tackle,” DeGeorge said. “The whole year was just so special. When we played in the Super Bowl, it was my first time ever being at Gillette, and being on that field was very special. I want to repeat that feeling again, and give this team the same opportunity. Make school history, winning the (Cape Ann League) four straight years.

“That’s what I want to focus on now that I’ve made my decision about (playing for the Orange) next year.”

It was after that Super Bowl appearance that recruiters began noticing DeGeorge. College coaches started to appear at Pioneers games during his sophomore season.

“Cam is a special kid, and all the attention he got was well deserved,” Lynnfield coach Neal Weidman said. “He has worked hard and started for us on the offensive line all four years.”

Despite getting his start on the offensive line, the 6-foot-5, 275-pounder is expected to play defensive end at Syracuse.

“He was born to play football,” Pioneers line coach Gino Fedora said. “His body type, size, feet, quickness and strength combined with his work ethic make him a player that most coaches are lucky to coach once in their career. Kids like Cam don’t come around very often.”

DeGeorge made several visits to Division 1 college programs, but he made a quick decision to commit to the Orange. He said the vibe surrounding the school, the program and the coaches made him feel at home. Fodera, for one, said he was not surprised by the commitment.

“Cam is one of six (kids) so he doesn’t take anything for granted,” Fodera said. “Being a kid from Massachusetts, he knew being recruited by big time football schools was a special experience. Going on the tours of the schools he liked a lot of the ones he visited, but Syracuse he loved.”

DeGeorge’s mother is in favor of his college choice.

“It’s less than six hours away and I know those coaches will take good care of him,” Lisa DeGeorge said. “It’s hard to give your kid up, but I trust the people that he’s going to be with. That knowledge makes it easier and is part of the reason I knew he made the right decision.

“But for this year, I just can’t wait to watch him play, and hope he enjoys every minute

Last edited:
Glad to hear this one. The kid was the first person to commit to us in this class, so glad to see he'll still be a part of the class (and he will stick with us barring something completely unforeseen).

Good for him. He will get a good education and get to play football.

We've lost 2 kids now who we said we'd honor their commit.