OK, time for a new rotation | Syracusefan.com

OK, time for a new rotation

IthacaMatt

Old Timer / Unofficial Contributor for 25+ years
This is what I think Red should do.

Start Judah, JJ, Copeland, Bell and Maliq Brown

2nd unit: Benny, Taylor, Cuffe and Carey.

We know MacLeod is done for this year, and Hima can't really play. It doesn't seem like Chance Westry is going to play this year, either, if he hasn't done so by now.

We need to take Taylor out of the starting lineup not to punish him, but because we should have been splitting up our shooters at forward, anyway, instead of starting them both together.

Benny is working his way back. That was his best game this year against Pitt on the road. Very solid. I don't want to over-encourage Benny to start taking too many threes, because I like him playing in the midrange, and closer to the rim like has been doing recently. Let him score inside first, then sure Benny, take a three.

I don’t see the starting lineup changing. The time to change it would have been after UNC and Red passed.

It just doesn't make sense to keep it as it is. He needs a rebounder on the floor to go with Maliq at all times. When he starts both Taylor and Bell, Taylor is a borderline rebounder and tries hard, but either of Copeland or Benny are tougher in getting the boards.

Each pair of F's should be balanced as follows: (a) 3 point shooter, and (b) midrange offense & rebounder.

Maximizing the balance would be Bell & Copeland as one pair, and Benny & Taylor as the other.
It would lead to a more balanced attack, and more consistency as we go to the bench during games. We would still be balancing the floor better than we are now.

It just doesn't make sense to keep it as it is. He needs a rebounder on the floor to go with Maliq at all times. When he starts both Taylor and Bell, Taylor is a borderline rebounder and tries hard, but either of Copeland or Benny are tougher in getting the boards.

Each pair of F's should be balanced as follows: (a) 3 point shooter, and (b) midrange offense & rebounder.

Maximizing the balance would be Bell & Copeland as one pair, and Benny & Taylor as the other.
It would lead to a more balanced attack, and more consistency as we go to the bench during games. We would still be balancing the floor better than we are now.
FWIW Taylor defensive rebounding rate is 19.8, Benny 19.4 and Copeland 19. I won’t dispute Bell is significantly worse than all 3 at 7, but coaches usually don’t change lineups after wins especially when everyone plays well in their current roles.

Taylor grabs 0.2 fewer rebounds per 40 minutes than Williams, and about 2 fewer than Copeland and Brown. None of them are bad at it.

We know MacLeod is done for this year, and Hima can't really play. It doesn't seem like Chance Westry is going to play this year, either, if he hasn't done so by now.

We need to take Taylor out of the starting lineup not to punish him, but because we should have been splitting up our shooters at forward, anyway, instead of starting them both together.

Benny is working his way back. That was his best game this year against Pitt on the road. Very solid. I don't want to over-encourage Benny to start taking too many threes, because I like him playing in the midrange, and closer to the rim like has been doing recently. Let him score inside first, then sure Benny, take a three.
Other than minutes and poor shooting, what has Cuffe brought. I assume there is more, but haven’t seen it.

red IMO is doing a good job managing the bench. i couldn't watch the whole game but i kept checking in and wondering "where's Brown" i thought he got injured or something. next time i checked he was back in rotation . carey got some valuable minutes (sure he fouled a lot) that may pay off down the stretch.

Last edited:
red IMO is doing a good job managing the bench. i couldn't watch the whole game but i kept checking in and wondering "where's Brown" i thought he got injured or something. next time i checked he was back in rotation . carey got some valuable minutes (sure he fouled a lot) that may pay off down the stretch.
Yep, think you are right. I think we're so used to the set mins and rotation that we're all, myself, included a little focused on something that doesnt really exist in Red's head. He plays who thinks should play and when they play and if they are playing well. Seems simple as that.

Technically Brown in the starting lineup is the change most of us wanted.

Granted not the way we got it...as well as splitting up Bell and JT which hasn't happened yet
Yep. I doubt that would have happened had McLeod stayed healthy though.

Taylor grabs 0.2 fewer rebounds per 40 minutes than Williams, and about 2 fewer than Copeland and Brown. None of them are bad at it.

Yeah, but only 1 of those 3 is a 3 point threat (Taylor), so why play him with Bell?
Why play the other 2 forwards together, when we want neither of Benny or Copeland living at the 3 point line?

Nah.

I love Copeland coming in. Allows Autry to sub out any of four players off to a bad start and he can adapt to that role.

Best sixth man since Dion.

I’d love Benny to earn the starter position over Taylor. Key word is earn.

Nah.

I love Copeland coming in. Allows Autry to sub out any of four players off to a bad start and he can adapt to that role.

I like Benny coming off the bench to get regular minutes at the 5 now that there is a need there. I think it will help focus him and maybe get more consistent play out of him. And I love Copeland as the sixth man. If things look ugly early, Red can get Bell and/or Taylor out of there quickly and change up the look. If they're effective, he can ride them farther into the game. He seems flexible in terms of his rotations, which I think serves him well with this group.

Nah.

We would be an entirely different team if Benny played like he played today in every game going forward. I am still holding out hope. Maybe he is starting to believe in Red and the team. One can hope.

People (myself included) are scarred from the recent JAB lineups where we only went 6-7 deep, and never adjusted during crunch time.

Red has done a good job (with some hiccups) mixing up the lineups when necessary. Starters don't matter as much. We have 9 guys averaging 10 mpg.

I do like the idea of splitting up Taylor/Bell more, but part of starting them both might be to see if either gets a hot hand shooting.

Looking at MPG for the team, would like to see Copeland get more minutes, and Taylor/JJ get a little less. However, Copeland has been trending higher and been 25+ recently.

Imagine us with a more talented roster and going 9-10 deep. This should be good for recruiting and retaining players. You don't need to start to see the court

What is Benny working back from? It's very possible he gets 12 minutes Saturday and goes 1-4 with some head scratching moments. I'd love to see some consistent winning play like we saw last night, but again, what is he working back from? Rust? From what?

this assumes what they get is how many they can get.. Taylor is the best rebounder he just cant get them. Brown is most often in the best spots because he doesnt really go places that lead to no rebounds. Bennie has the most upside to rebounds but is terrible at positioning.

Bell doesnt begin to go to the right spots.

The guards at least on occasion come back to find them.

Copeland hustles into spots and grabs them which is great. Cuffe does it as well.

this assumes what they get is how many they can get.. Taylor is the best rebounder he just cant get them. Brown is most often in the best spots because he doesnt really go places that lead to no rebounds. Bennie has the most upside to rebounds but is terrible at positioning.

Bell doesnt begin to go to the right spots.

The guards at least on occasion come back to find them.

Copeland hustles into spots and grabs them which is great. Cuffe does it as well.
That made my head hurt.

We would be an entirely different team if Benny played like he played today in every game going forward. I am still holding out hope. Maybe he is starting to believe in Red and the team. One can hope.
If someone is still an enigma two and a half years in, I'm not holding my breath that we'll ever get consistency from him. That's not to say he can't be or isn't an important contributor to the team.

Nah.

I agree on Cope. I think people overrate starting and ignore bench energy. I could care less who starts, my minor quibble with Red is not subbing soon enough if the small starting lineup is out of sorts. Benny and Q can be great energy guys off the bench which a second unit needs.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom