Old Frank | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Old Frank

We have Hughes, HW and Buddy. That’s 5 guard’s combined with Carey and Howard. BTW there’s a good chance we tie your IGGY prediction in wins during the non conference season.

I noticed the same thing about the iggys! We still have some work to do but not looking especially promising for Franco or Spock.

Seriously, we just played Kansas. We won't face stiffer competition. Do you guys even think before you post? Ffs.
ACC games will be a nightly battle. All our guys will need to play smarter if we want to steal some games.

First of all Gino isn't very good, mid major type talent, don't know what anyone saw of him that makes one think he would have helped last night, Frank had a bad game but has been pretty good this year. Next game...

KCSU is actually Skip Bayless...

I'm not going to speculate on how frank finishes the end of the year because that doesn't make any sense.

Ignoring future games, and even to a lesser extent past games, and just looking at this isolated game performance, I can honestly say it's one of the worst I've seen. I'm not ripping Frank (always been a supporter on here since freshman days), but last night it got to the point where I was expecting a negative play every time he had it. I don't care about bad shooting nights because they happen. But forcing shots, charges, throwing the ball out of bounds, one handed passing to feet... That's different. Even some plays that ended up working out had a lot of "bobbling of the ball" moments.

Honestly it was just weird.

We move on. We need him, and his scoring this year.

We have Hughes, HW and Buddy. That’s 5 guard’s combined with Carey and Howard. BTW there’s a good chance we tie your IGGY prediction in wins during the non conference season.
Hughes can’t shoot and he’s more suited to the 3. The other two are midmajor 4-year players. Every good team needs these pieces for depth but we’ll be lacking ACC starting talent at both guard spots next year most likely.

First of all Gino isn't very good, mid major type talent, don't know what anyone saw of him that makes one think he would have helped last night, Frank had a bad game but has been pretty good this year. Next game...

I'll give half a like. As bad as Frank was, I think Geno would have had to be better or at least JB would have felt more confident giving Frank a rest in the second half with a more experienced guy in Geno.

But I do agree there is a very good chance kcsu is Skip Bayless.

FH is our best defender at the top of the zone since MCW. Those are JB's words, not mine.
Except when he’s in foul trouble when he turns into Swiss cheese.

Ollie had his guys face guarding Frank at times tonight as well to force this action. We reached badly to that.
when the ACC schedule starts people are going to do this a lot - Frank can't handle it and requires Tyus to burn more energy.

Awful,performance. Beyond the terrible play, here is a really big issue: a few times FH was back in Frank The Crank mode. He turned ball over and then sulked and didn't hustle back. One play he tossed the ball to UConn in our frontcourt and he stood like a statue as UConn was fast breaking. He literally never even jogged back. That's a problem.

Here's the thing. We all were saying he looks more comfortable because he's not looking over his shoulder for JB's hook this year. Well, if he plays like dog doo and then feels like he won't get pulled, even when he doesn't hustle back... That is a problem.

Awful job by JB tonight not yanking him when he was playing really bad and compounding it by not hustling. He has to know that crap won't be tolerated.
That is what I was thinking while watching - Frank now knows he can literally play like garbage and not get pulled. I'm not sure that is a positive.

Pretty obvious he has a weak handle for a lead PG on a top 50 team. This is the first game where he faced tough on ball defense for extended time and he looked alot like he did last year. For the person who said one bad game does not outweigh the other good games, that is absolutely true. However two years of play also outweighs 7 games.
You guys need to get off of last year. Whether you like it or not, he was hurt from the first of the year and couldn't play well. But for some of you that is fake news.

when the ACC schedule starts people are going to do this a lot - Frank can't handle it and requires Tyus to burn more energy.
I sure do hope that our coach can overcome this then.

Hughes can’t shoot and he’s more suited to the 3. The other two are midmajor 4-year players. Every good team needs these pieces for depth but we’ll be lacking ACC starting talent at both guard spots next year most likely.

Hughes can’t shoot? Washington won’t be ready next year. Carey and Howard aren’t ACC players? Lol. You’re wrong on your prediction this year so that’s good news.

His handle is the biggest problem. Too high, too loose. Makes me cringe wondering why we couldn’t try to recruit another guard for next year. Without battle the backcourt in 2018-2019 is very thin. Even if Carey is ready from day 1 it’s not enough.
This may be as accurate as your Iggy predictions.

too much dribbling

That I can get with. Needs to get into the offense more quickly, and make that first pass.

Always wonder if that's JB coaching and not our guard though. Seems like we've had similar complaints the last few years.

Mid major talent. Ok. If you can average 15 PPG playing high major D1 ball, you are not a mid major player. Some of you are still salty over him quitting without notice.

As far as Frank goes, he can't play like he did last night going forward. If Geno were on the team, Frank would have saw the bench to clear his head.

Frank is not an efficient scorer and because of that, he can't afford to be sloppy with the ball if he's not making 45% of his shots. If he limits his TOs, then the low scoring efficiency can be tolerated (from a game flow perspective), if he scores more efficiently, then the TOs aren't as damaging. But if you've ~70 possessions a game (which isn't a lot to begin with) and your PG throws away four on bad shots and four more on bad passes/TOs, then that leaves a bigger hole to dig out from. Thankfully Frank gets quite a few steals, so a lot of his game balances out, but it gets really ugly when he has a bad game.

Unfortunately, he is who he is and there aren't any other options ¯\_(ツ)_/¯. To me, his attitude is more important than anything else. Good players have bad games.

My take on this (and I'm not Frank-bashing, just observing) is that he's incredibly mentally weak. This is troubling in that the ability is there - when he's playing with confidence we see more or less what we've seen the first 7 games - but at the first sign of adversity or a couple mistakes, he goes into full meltdown mode, no middle ground. If he can't mentally tough it up and play through pressure/mistakes, it'll be very concerning going forward. We saw this to some extent last year, and he was relegated to the bench. This year, unfortunately, we have no other options. Sack up Frank, you're a junior - we need you. People can say 'H0T Takes" all they want - last night was pretty atrocious and if we have many more performances like that we'll be on the wrong end of many contests. Let's say I'm cautiously optimistic about Frank going forward, but I am weary that this is not a one game anomaly.

Frank is Frank and that is what we have. He’s not going to all of a sudden become an ACC lead guard. He doesn’t have the mental makeup to be a solid point guard and he’s not nearly tough enough to handle any kind of adversity. His mistakes last night were junior varsity stuff. I hope I’m wrong, but he will look great again on Saturday against Colgate, but go in the tank once ACC conference play starts.

My take on this (and I'm not Frank-bashing, just observing) is that he's incredibly mentally weak. This is troubling in that the ability is there - when he's playing with confidence we see more or less what we've seen the first 7 games - but at the first sign of adversity or a couple mistakes, he goes into full meltdown mode, no middle ground. If he can't mentally tough it up and play through pressure/mistakes, it'll be very concerning going forward. We saw this to some extent last year, and he was relegated to the bench. This year, unfortunately, we have no other options. Sack up Frank, you're a junior - we need you. People can say 'H0T Takes" all they want - last night was pretty atrocious and if we have many more performances like that we'll be on the wrong end of many contests. Let's say I'm cautiously optimistic about Frank going forward, but I am weary that this is not a one game anomaly.
I don't agree 100% with you, but based on your argument wouldn't part of that be on the coaching staff. Isn't it up to them to make sure that he is 100% mentally in the game.

Frank was unbelievably bad - like, as in, difficult to believe, bad. JB could have put HW in but decided not to. I found that to be kind of encouraging in a weird way. Frank has played really well this year so far, aside from this game, and he has proven in the past to be a player that needs to play with confidence. JB uncharacteristically gave Frank a long leash, hopefully that demonstrates to Frank that he doesn't need to press when he isn't having a good night. His confidence got destroyed last year by looking over his shoulder when mistakes were made, hopefully JB sticking with him will pay off down the road. That said Frank is lucky Geno quit.

All valid points -- but dude has put up really solid numbers and really solid play up until tonight. Sounding the alarm after one awful game is reactionary. It just is.

I just don't think FH will be consistent all year like other great point guards SU has had. His attitude should be consistent. Unfortunately, last night he didn't hustle after a few turnovers. He didn't get out to shooters and looked lazy in the process. That is a bad look. I hope he has a great rest of his season. The next test will be at Georgetown. He's better than their guards. Let's see how he does in our first road game.

I think FH will have his highs and lows in ACC play. Hopefully more of the former. I'll take that if he plays hard all the time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom