OT, Anyone on the board from podunk, aka pulaski | Syracusefan.com

OT, Anyone on the board from podunk, aka pulaski

pulaski74

Scout Team
Don't make a whole lotta posts but was thinking about my home town this am and wondering if anyone on the board is familiar w/ pulaski, sandy creek, lacona, redfield etc. Been living in st. louis since 81

Not from Pulaski, but I always get a kick out of new to the area TV news or weather persons pronouncing it..Pulaskee.

You know that John Butler, a mainstay for years on St Louis television (news) is from the Syracuse area? The northshore of Oneida lake. A good guy.

Summer of '76 I worked at the paper mill in Pulaski and lived in Lacona. It actually snowed in June that year.

Not from Pulaski, but I always get a kick out of new to the area TV news or weather persons pronouncing it..Pulaskee.

You know that John Butler, a mainstay for years on St Louis television (news) is from the Syracuse area? The northshore of Oneida lake. A good guy.
Near Savannah, there is Ft. "Pulaskeeeee". Same person, different part of the world. Made me wonder which is the correct pronunciation.

Near Savannah, there is Ft. "Pulaskeeeee". Same person, different part of the world. Made me wonder which is the correct pronunciation.

I haven't spent a lot of time in Pulaski, but the locals pronounce it something close to Pulas-sky. It's their town. I have no idea if there is a correct pronunciation? I guess it depends on where you come from?

The only place I've ever been where it is pronounced Pulas-sky is NY.

From wikipedia...

The Village of Pulaski is within the Town of Richland, and lies between the eastern shore of Lake Ontario and the Tug Hill region. The village is located on U.S. Route 11 and is adjacent to Interstate 81. Pulaski was incorporated on April 26, 1832. Although the village takes its name after General Casimir Pulaski (/pəˈlæski/pə-las-kee), area residents have traditionally pronounced it with a long "i" (/pəˈlæskaɪ/pə-las-sky). The historic core of the village was listed on theNational Register of Historic Places in 1983 as thePulaski Village Historic District.[1]

Don't make a whole lotta posts but was thinking about my home town this am and wondering if anyone on the board is familiar w/ pulaski, sandy creek, lacona, redfield etc. Been living in st. louis since 81
I grew up in Palermo and spent my summer weekends at Brennan Beach camp ground. My parents are retired and call that there summer home.

I grew up in Pulaski :) Left in the early 90s and have been back a handful of times since.

I grew up in Palermo and spent my summer weekends at Brennan Beach camp ground. My parents are retired and call that there summer home.
Spent alot of time at the golf course in palermo, and at brennans, I think when i was very young they bought from the original owner but can't remember the name

I grew up in Pulaski :) Left in the early 90s and have been back a handful of times since.
Well, i probably know some of your relatives, last time I was home was 2000

I grew up in Colosse, graduated high school from Mexico in 1986. Pulaski(yes po-lah-sky) was closest DMV, so that is where I got my drivers license. Redfield has a reservoir where I learned to swim when my dad took me out to the middle, threw me in the water and left saying if I wanted to live I would swim. Love the nature and just pure beauty of the area, it is really unmatched. I also have a brother and nieces and nephews that live in Pulaski now.

I grew up in Colosse, graduated high school from Mexico in 1986. Pulaski(yes po-lah-sky) was closest DMV, so that is where I got my drivers license. Redfield has a reservoir where I learned to swim when my dad took me out to the middle, threw me in the water and left saying if I wanted to live I would swim. Love the nature and just pure beauty of the area, it is really unmatched. I also have a brother and nieces and nephews that live in Pulaski now.

I have a buddy up here that is from Mexico. Came to Alaska in the 70s. Last name, Graves

Spent alot of time at the golf course in palermo, and at brennans, I think when i was very young they bought from the original owner but can't remember the name
My dad is still in a summer golf league in Palermo. I'm headed up to CNY from Knoxville, TN next week. I'll be at Brennan's at some point visiting my parents.

You got a like for mentioning John Butler, went to high school with him graduated in 1964.

I won a t-shirt at a high school cross country meet at Pulaski in 1993. I still wear it all the time when I run.

I haven't been to Pulaski since we played them in Baseball in my senior year of high school, 1984.

Fond memories eating coneys at the restaurant across the street from the old P+C. Was it called Mr. Mikes? Also, loved getting Colosse cheese curds in Pulaski. Best sand dunes in upstate NY were at Sandy Island. Why did the Golden Fish Fry close down in Port Ontario?

Went to high school with a Graves...but we graduated in 1986.

maybe a younger brother.. did he happen to be missing a limb or something? I feel like he told me about a brother that had a farming accident

Fond memories eating coneys at the restaurant across the street from the old P+C. Was it called Mr. Mikes? Also, loved getting Colosse cheese curds in Pulaski. Best sand dunes in upstate NY were at Sandy Island. Why did the Golden Fish Fry close down in Port Ontario?

Thanks Mark, now I am craving the cheese curds. :)

The Golden Fish had the best fry cake donuts ever. Big heavy dunkers great with coffee.

Best sand dunes in upstate NY were at Sandy Island.

I've been to Sandy Pond, a lot of sand there. Where's Sandy Island? I might take a drive up there?

Yes, it was Mr Mikes my aunt lucy bought it from the orig. owner and my wife worked at Colosse Cheese in the rt.3 rt11 triangle. Good stuff, if you go to sandy pond you may come across my corvair monza which I left there, or it may be buried.