OT, Anyone on the board from podunk, aka pulaski | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

OT, Anyone on the board from podunk, aka pulaski

I've been to Sandy Pond, a lot of sand there. Where's Sandy Island? I might take a drive up there?

The state took it over. Not sure if you can run and roll down the dunes now like I did as a kid.
Anyways, great place to go to swim. No rocks (or just a few small round, weathered limestone rocks), just sand as you walk out into the surf. It is less than an hour from downtown Syracuse.

http://nysparks.com/parks/153/details.aspx

Yes, it was Mr Mikes my aunt lucy bought it from the orig. owner and my wife worked at Colosse Cheese in the rt.3 rt11 triangle. Good stuff, if you go to sandy pond you may come across my corvair monza which I left there, or it may be buried.
Did the Golden Fish close down or move? Port Ontario looks entirely different.

My wife is from Mexico (class of 83) but was always at her sisters house in Pulaski.
Lost count of how many times I was snowed in while there.

Did the Golden Fish close down or move? Port Ontario looks entirely different.
I'm not sure haven't been home since 2000, yea port ontario is really different, don't know if mr. sub is still open in pulaski but sherry made one helluva sandwich.

I'm not sure haven't been home since 2000, yea port ontario is really different, don't know if mr. sub is still open in pulaski but sherry made one helluva sandwich.
Mr. Sub is still open and yes she still makes a great sub. Anyone driving through Pulaski her shop is located a couple doors down from the Kallet Theater on the Square.

My wife is from Mexico (class of 83) but was always at her sisters house in Pulaski.
Lost count of how many times I was snowed in while there.
So it is one of those types of families, huh?

Fond memories eating coneys at the restaurant across the street from the old P+C. Was it called Mr. Mikes? Also, loved getting Colosse cheese curds in Pulaski. Best sand dunes in upstate NY were at Sandy Island. Why did the Golden Fish Fry close down in Port Ontario?
If you find yourself in Clayton this summer, stop in to the River Rat cheese shop on the main drag. Best cheeses curd ever! Just stuffed 3 pounds down my pie hole this weekend. Great stuff

My dad is still in a summer golf league in Palermo. I'm headed up to CNY from Knoxville, TN next week. I'll be at Brennan's at some point visiting my parents.

Emerald Crest? Just golfed for the first time in 5 years there a week ago. In high school and early college, we lived at Brennan's beach during the summer traveling from Syracuse there in my friend's convertible. Great times. Our senior prom party (small parochial league school in Syracuse) the day after the prom was at Brennan's beach too.

TexanMark said:
The state took it over. Not sure if you can run and roll down the dunes now like I did as a kid. Anyways, great place to go to swim. No rocks (or just a few small round, weathered limestone rocks), just sand as you walk out into the surf. It is less than an hour from downtown Syracuse. http://nysparks.com/parks/153/details.aspx
We had a camp on sandy pond as a kid. I rolled down those dunes a gazillion times. Sadly they are gone now. Erosion.

We had a camp on sandy pond as a kid. I rolled down those dunes a gazillion times. Sadly they are gone now. Erosion.
We had a camp on South Sandy Pond...were you there or the Big Pond?

Anyone been to Poland? Or more accurately, Trail's End on Hinckley Lake? Went to school in Poland, and lived year-round at Trail's End until we moved to Ohio in 1984.

I grew up on North Sandy Pond. Used to spend alot of time on Sandy Island during the summer. We would motor across the pond to the boater's beach end of Sandy Island. Keg parties and bonfires. Now you can't set foot on any of it.

TexanMark said:
The big pond. Late 60s through 70s. Before the trailers overtook the place.

The big pond. Late 60s through 70s. Before the trailers overtook the place.

The Big Pond had the Wigwam, etc...but the South Pond was always about 5 degrees warmer and way less chop. I almost bought a camp on Seber Shore in '04 but settled for one further north near Sackets Harbor. Cuseregular and I are neighbors. Trying to talk ReednNY to join us. LOL

The Big Pond had the Wigwam, etc...but the South Pond was always about 5 degrees warmer and way less chop. I almost bought a camp on Seber Shore in '04 but settled for one further north near Sackets Harbor. Cuseregular and I are neighbors. Trying to talk ReednNY to join us. LOL

I didn't know you went that far north. Why did I think you weren't that far from Oswego ? That is way up there.

my mother in law has a camp in henderson, sawyers bay. Fantastic lake spot w/ bedrock for a deck. Bonfire every night. Anyone ever been to the Lodge (zoo) when it was in its prime?

Lived in Sandy Creek , Pulaski, Sandy Pond all years of my life save 5. Grew up at the Pond, Graduated and work in Pulaski, Live in the Creek.
Many of "Life's Lessons" were learned at Sandy Island Beach prior to the State swooping in to save it.

Lived in Sandy Creek , Pulaski, Sandy Pond all years of my life save 5. Grew up at the Pond, Graduated and work in Pulaski, Live in the Creek.
Many of "Life's Lessons" were learned at Sandy Island Beach prior to the State swooping in to save it.
When did you grad, I knew a lot of s.c. kids when I was younger, bagalonis, mcdougal, gibbs and on and on

Do you play golf? We usually get a few board guys out for a round at the Elms.

When did you grad, I knew a lot of s.c. kids when I was younger, bagalonis, mcdougal, gibbs and on and on
'73 from Pulaski . Went to SC K-9.
Ha Baggie is living with my brother-in-law's Sister. There were many MCDougals to choose from and Gibbs were more Pulaski and again I am related thru marraige to one group of them.

Do you play golf? We usually get a few board guys out for a round at the Elms.
I play just if I team up with someone, let them know I won't be of much help to them. Sounds like it would be fun event ! I love the back nine at the Elms, just gotta hit it before the horseflies come out. Used to live around the corner from there and it seemed easier to play when I was closer.

I didn't know you went that far north. Why did I think you weren't that far from Oswego ? That is way up there.
That is a longggggggggg drive. The map says 60 miles but the ride feels like 150.

I'm bought a small camp near the tip of Pillar Point. I'm 1 hr and 15 mins from the SYR airport. About 20 air miles to Kingston, Ontario. It is really peaceful up there but I'm only 15 mins away to everything in Watertown.

its worth the drive....hour and 20 min door to door for us to this...
image.jpg

image.jpg
image.jpg

the nice thing is that being up there a few miles north of Henderson and the taxes and costs are halved. Come on up sometime!