OT: Bill Simmons Leaving ESPN | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

OT: Bill Simmons Leaving ESPN

About seven years ago he did a chat with his friends while watching the NCAA tourney discussing the first two days from minute to minute. I can't think of a better blog I have ever read.
He will be somewhere, and I will keep reading.

You guys are being ridiculous. The guy is extremely creative and a great writer. His writing goes well beyond just sports. He also has an eye for talent and puts talented people on his Podcasts and allows them a form to shine in writing for Grantland as well as the 30 for 30's. I don't recall him ever purporting to be an expert in the way people are claiming he isn't. I listen to pretty much all his podcasts and he has guests from all walks of life and can conduct a decent interview over a broad swath of topics. He is petulant and can be smug but I dont think that is the same as arrogance. He struggled for years as a writer for lowly high school sports like volleyball and earned his station in life completely on his own talent. The fact that he went after and continues to go after that . . . . . . . Roger Goodell only makes me like him more. You can always count on ESPN to censor anyone going after their golden cow. Remember how that show Playmakers got cancelled for no reason? Oh yeah, there was a reason all right...

All the talent in the world can't help mask the fact that he is an insufferable .

You guys are being ridiculous. The guy is extremely creative and a great writer. His writing goes well beyond just sports. He also has an eye for talent and puts talented people on his Podcasts and allows them a form to shine in writing for Grantland as well as the 30 for 30's. I don't recall him ever purporting to be an expert in the way people are claiming he isn't. I listen to pretty much all his podcasts and he has guests from all walks of life and can conduct a decent interview over a broad swath of topics. He is petulant and can be smug but I dont think that is the same as arrogance. He struggled for years as a writer for lowly high school sports like volleyball and earned his station in life completely on his own talent. The fact that he went after and continues to go after that . . . . . . . Roger Goodell only makes me like him more. You can always count on ESPN to censor anyone going after their golden cow. Remember how that show Playmakers got cancelled for no reason? Oh yeah, there was a reason all right...

My first post was a little harsh on him. His early Page 2 mailbags were fantastic and as someone mentioned his live blog of the opening weekend of the NCAA tournament with his best friend was gold, but he never really offered a lot more than than light-hearted sports writing.

But as his role on ESPN expanded I never felt like he added value anywhere that he showed up. He never had interesting observations when brought on live TV and he wasn't very entertaining to watch on the air (usually you need to be one of the two to survive). As a writer, his staple articles seemed to get stale -- I'm not sure anyone really cares if Thabo Sefolosha has the 89th worst contract in the NBA -- and he never had great insights into sports. Yes, he can put together 3,000 words weaving together SNL, the Mayweather/Pacquiao fight, and the NBA play-offs, but it'll include played out jokes and questions from readers that are just trying too hard to be funny. The articles never really include any original insight to the games.

I'll admit, I don't listen to his podcasts, which have been his big focus the past few years.

On the other hand though, the idea to start the 30 for 30 series is the best thing ESPN has done in the past decade. I don't think he's actually done a feature, but he does deserve the credit for bringing that to the table.

Last edited:
He is cocky and smug because he still thinks he is BS from 1999-2004, but he is different. Obviously the guy has been a success, but his attitude on-air has become sloppy and his #hotsports mentality is annoying. If he likes you or your one of his crew he is very very loyal, but the guy is childish and doesn't respect authority or know his boundaries.

Whether he respects certain co-workers or not no company would ever allow an employee trash another employee in the same company. Simmons never respected this and threw tantrums and thought just because he is friends with Walsh that would protect him. if you don't like certain other ESPN personalities. He hasn't written anything besides Friday NFL picks, and NBA trade value pieces for years. He has gotten beyond stale. That clip above shows the smug 100%. He had to be passive aggressive towards Sage Steele for no reason and guess what he lost his spot on the NBA Countdown studio because of that power play. ESPN sided with Sage Steele who was a pro.

Dude, you need to chill out. Seriously. That is an incredible amount of venom reserved for someone you have never met and for situations you weren't remotely connected to. I also think he's gone the exact opposite direction of stale. Since 2004 he's written a two best-sellers, developed a really cool series of short documentaries, had a really successful podcast and launched Grantland, which may or may not be a success depending on what you believe. I think he's gotten away from writing and concentrated on other endeavors. Good for him, IMO, but either way, that's an awful lot of anger you've got stored up there.

Dude, you need to chill out. Seriously. That is an incredible amount of venom reserved for someone you have never met and for situations you weren't remotely connected to. I also think he's gone the exact opposite direction of stale. Since 2004 he's written a two best-sellers, developed a really cool series of short documentaries, had a really successful podcast and launched Grantland, which may or may not be a success depending on what you believe. I think he's gotten away from writing and concentrated on other endeavors. Good for him, IMO, but either way, that's an awful lot of anger you've got stored up there.
I can't tell you how to think. I have met the guy so its not someone I have never met. I can't take away his success which is obvious and undisputed. My opinion is what I said. He is a bully to small people. He is incredibly loyal to his people, but my opinion is not yours okay I am fine with that. Please don't try to tell me I have a lot of anger when more people agreed with my original statement than yours.

I was a huge fan of the guy, but am no longer.

My first post was a little harsh on him. His early Page 2 mailbags were fantastic and as someone mentioned his live blog of the opening weekend of the NCAA tournament with his best friend was gold, but he never really offered a lot more than than light-hearted sports writing.

But as his role on ESPN expanded I never felt like he added value anywhere that he showed up. He never had interesting observations when brought on live TV and he wasn't very entertaining to watch on the air (usually you need to be one of the two to survive). As a writer, his staple articles seemed to get stale -- I'm not sure anyone really cares if Thabo Sefolosha has the 89th worst contract in the NBA -- and he never had great insights into sports. Yes, he can put together 3,000 words weaving together SNL, the Mayweather/Pacquiao fight, and the NBA play-offs, but it'll include played out jokes and questions from readers that are just trying too hard to be funny. The articles never really include any original insight to the games.

I'll admit, I don't listen to his podcasts, which have been his big focus the past few years.

On the other hand though, the idea to start the 30 for 30 series is the best thing ESPN has done in the past decade. I don't think he's actually done a feature, but he does deserve the credit for bringing that to the table.
To his credit, Simmons isn't ever afraid to fail. He'll try things he might not be good at to see if they go anywhere.

All the talent in the world can't help mask the fact that he is an insufferable .

Your opinion of him being an insufferable D bag is in the minority.

I still like Simmons, even if he gives off a douche kinda vibe sometimes, and I love Grantland. But if you're not really making ESPN much money, ESPN is struggling relative to their expectations, and you're asking for your salary to double to $6 million, I don't blame ESPN at all for letting him go, especially after he once again broke the terms of his contract to go out and tear Goodell apart for no reason (not over the Ray Rice thing, but for Deflategate the day before ESPN told him he isn't coming back).

Your opinion of him being an insufferable D bag is in the minority.

So minor that the same sentiment was expressed by numerous other posters in this thread? I'm not taking the guy's accomplishments away from him. I love the 30 for 30 stuff and used to enjoy reading his stuff. Just think he's an annoying, egotistical, smug, homer , and I cringe and/or get filled with rage every time I hear him talk. Reading his recent tweets regarding Boeheim was the cherry on top of my disdain for him.

...In fact, if I were criticizing him, I would say getting thoroughly obsessed with the NBA pigeon-holed him. I liked when he used to touch on a lot of sports.

Exactly. Hadn't really thought of that, but that's contributed to my loss of interest in his writing. That, his change in social circles and increase in celebrity name dropping (in some ways out of his control, and his decreased written production (in his control) have all contributed to what I consider a decline in his writing. But it's difficult to write at any decent level for over a decade, and Simmons has done that pretty well.

In 2002 the Americans had just been knocked out of the quarter finals of the World Cup. Bill Simmons wrote an article that talked about how the NCAA was the greatest player development and scouting tool in the world.

When you learn about the game and how players are developed around the world, then go back and read that article, you'll realize that Simmons is an extremely entertaining writer, but is completely full of shnit and spends a great deal of time talking out of his arss.

The guy is extremely talented as an entertainer, but not very good when it comes to content. He'll get readers, which is the only reason Grantland has been so successful, but he's no Donald Barlett.

He'll make money at Fox or CNN or where ever he ends up after ESPN, but the guy has done for sports journalism what Stephanie Meyer has done for fiction.

He's no Dan Bartlett either! (And don't forget to contact him with any and all of your season ticket needs!)

In 2002 the Americans had just been knocked out of the quarter finals of the World Cup. Bill Simmons wrote an article that talked about how the NCAA was the greatest player development and scouting tool in the world.

When you learn about the game and how players are developed around the world, then go back and read that article, you'll realize that Simmons is an extremely entertaining writer, but is completely full of shnit and spends a great deal of time talking out of his arss.

The guy is extremely talented as an entertainer, but not very good when it comes to content. He'll get readers, which is the only reason Grantland has been so successful, but he's no Donald Barlett.

He'll make money at Fox or CNN or where ever he ends up after ESPN, but the guy has done for sports journalism what Stephanie Meyer has done for fiction.
That funny, because I'd you want to be a soccer pro in Europe, most experts are telling kids not to go to college, but to go to Europe and try to get signed.

I can't tell you how to think. I have met the guy so its not someone I have never met. I can't take away his success which is obvious and undisputed. My opinion is what I said. He is a bully to small people. He is incredibly loyal to his people, but my opinion is not yours okay I am fine with that. Please don't try to tell me I have a lot of anger when more people agreed with my original statement than yours.

I was a huge fan of the guy, but am no longer.

In what scenario did you meet him? Now I'm curious. Maybe you're right -- I certainly don't know him. But he made a name for himself by not simply falling in line with every other journalist. He quit a job at a well-established newspaper b/c he had a vision of what he wanted to write. That is a really crazy thing to do. He was literally writing long, entertaining blog posts for basically zero money.

But either way I suppose it doesn't matter. I certainly won't tell you how to think but I have no problem saying that unless you have a truly intriguing connection to the dude, I would say that is an incredible amount of pent up anger.

Exactly. Hadn't really thought of that, but that's contributed to my loss of interest in his writing. That, his change in social circles and increase in celebrity name dropping (in some ways out of his control, and his decreased written production (in his control) have all contributed to what I consider a decline in his writing. But it's difficult to write at any decent level for over a decade, and Simmons has done that pretty well.

The one thing to remember on the name dropping is that in his style of writing he's always name-dropping. The only difference now is that we know all of those folks. Back when it was guys like House and June Bug or whatever his name was, we had no idea who he was talking about. But he did drop all those names constantly. But I'd agree that his writing in the past several years has clearly not been his focus.

In what scenario did you meet him? Now I'm curious. Maybe you're right -- I certainly don't know him. But he made a name for himself by not simply falling in line with every other journalist. He quit a job at a well-established newspaper b/c he had a vision of what he wanted to write. That is a really crazy thing to do. He was literally writing long, entertaining blog posts for basically zero money.

But either way I suppose it doesn't matter. I certainly won't tell you how to think but I have no problem saying that unless you have a truly intriguing connection to the dude, I would say that is an incredible amount of pent up anger.
I met him in 2007 at a Red Sox playoff watch party in Boston. It was at Clark's. We had mutual friends and he is an incredibly good friend to his people. He is a jerk to people he can be. I think he is the type of guy you either love or can't stand. I used to love his writing, but ego has grown to where he thinks he is worth to ESPN than he actually is.

I met him in 2007 at a Red Sox playoff watch party in Boston. It was at Clark's. We had mutual friends and he is an incredibly good friend to his people. He is a jerk to people he can be. I think he is the type of guy you either love or can't stand. I used to love his writing, but ego has grown to where he thinks he is worth to ESPN than he actually is.

Fair enough.

jekelish said:
That basically sums it up. He's the "sports guy" because he's a guy who can talk sports at the bar. That's basically what his schtick started out as, and that's his lasting impact. He's a conversational blogger who came along at the exact right time, with the exact right amount of talent and humor to make it big.

Might be short-changing him a little bit. Guy has business sense, is funny enough to write for Kimmel, is good at "sports as storytelling", and is one of us - a fan. I know you had a run-in with him - but he was a unique voice at ESPN. Like Cowherd but likable.

docsu said:
...and my suspicions for why he's disliked around here have just been confirmed.

I think posters here see too much of him in themselves and yes I know how douchey and introspective that sounds.

I used to like him more. I feel like his columns have become a vehicle for his pop culture references, inside jokes, the nicknames he gives people. These things used to be what made his writing different from others'.

I used to like him more. I feel like his columns have become a vehicle for his pop culture references, inside jokes, the nicknames he gives people. These things used to be what made his writing different from others'.
I think my biggest issues with his writing lately are that: 1) He very, very rarely actually writes them anymore, and 2) they are ALWAYS about the NBA, and if they aren't about the NBA, they are about either the Red Sox or Pats. I realize that's what made him the Boston Sports Guy, but he rose to prominence expanding his range. Now that he's achieved success, he's only writing about the things he's a big fan of. And more power to him, if I were in his position, I would only write about Syracuse. But for non-Boston or non-NBA fans, it's not worth reading, to me anyway.

Yeah now he can blast Goodell with an non-NFL partner caring and will get more creative control. Good signing by both sides I am sure HBO wants his podcasts as well but with ESPN guests their quality will take a little hit.

I wonder who will replace Cousin Sal and do the weekly football lines podcast. My bet would be Adam Carolla right now.

Yeah now he can blast Goodell with an non-NFL partner caring and will get more creative control. Good signing by both sides I am sure HBO wants his podcasts as well but with ESPN guests their quality will take a little hit.

I wonder who will replace Cousin Sal and do the weekly football lines podcast. My bet would be Adam Carolla right now.

Love Cousin Sal, won't listen without him