OT: Moving to the Heart of Darkness | Syracusefan.com

OT: Moving to the Heart of Darkness

normaliswear

Starter
New job has me moving from CNY to Greensboro in October. Any NY/NC transplants around here that can point to cuse friendly locations?

I moved to the Carolinas from Syracuse 30 years ago. You will find lots of SU fans here and will enjoy good bbq pork and hush puppies among other things. Greensboro is a nice place and not far from Raleigh and Charlotte where there is lots to do (NHL, NBA, AA baseball, concerts, shows, etc.) With SU joining the ACC you'll be close to a lot of the schools they play against. Who knows... maybe you will be saying "ya'll" in the next few months! Welcome to North Carolina!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

I've lived in Charlotte for about 14 years now. I have a sister in Greensboro. They've lived in the Kirkwood and Irving Park areas (both very nice). My parents live in Burlington (about 20 miles away from Greensboro) in Mackintosh by the Lake also a nice area. Always glad to see some more Cuse fans land down here.

I moved to the Carolinas from Syracuse 30 years ago. You will find lots of SU fans here and will enjoy good bbq pork and hush puppies among other things. Greensboro is a nice place and not far from Raleigh and Charlotte where there is lots to do (NHL, NBA, AA baseball, concerts, shows, etc.) With SU joining the ACC you'll be close to a lot of the schools they play against. Who knows... maybe you will be saying "ya'll" in the next few months! Welcome to North Carolina!

too much vinegar in the Carolina sauce for me.

lol Thanks! Thats reassuring. Although while I LOVE that accent in girls I'm gonna fight taking to it myself lol.

I've lived in Charlotte for about 14 years now. I have a sister in Greensboro. They've lived in the Kirkwood and Irving Park areas (both very nice). My parents live in Burlington (about 20 miles away from Greensboro) in Mackintosh by the Lake also a nice area. Always glad to see some more Cuse fans land down here.
Cool... definitely makes me feel better that I'm not walking into a UNC/Duke only buzzsaw lol

Just don't let the UNC tee shirt bother you: "Go Heel or Go Home". They need to get used to seeing a lot of Orange gear.

You'll have fans for Wake Forest, Duke, UNC and NC State in Greensboro. My experience has been that the fans are hard core for their chosen team. Most are just passionate and not get in your face type of fans with it being mostly a friendly rivalry. You will run into the occasional redneck fan who is belligerent. It is different here because there are so many ACC schools within a short distance. You don't run into as many UConn or Georgetown fans in Syracuse. I actually live in South Carolina about 45 minutes from Clemson. I can't tell you how many times I am wearing my orange shirt and I get a "Go Clemson!" comment before they see that it is a 'Cuse shirt.

When SU played at NC State last fall we went to the game and a friend that is an NC State grad joined us. We had upper level seats and I was surprised (as was my friend) that the Orange fans had a majority of the seats in the upper level. He wanted to know what I got him into! We had no problems with any of the NC State fans.

I think you may be surprised at how many transplants are in the Carolinas now. The population has really grown in the Greensboro, Raleigh and Charlotte areas. Asheville and Hendersonville (in the mountains) are also popular retirement cities. Enjoy those southern accents... many of the the women actually like our accent!

You'll have fans for Wake Forest, Duke, UNC and NC State in Greensboro. My experience has been that the fans are hard core for their chosen team. Most are just passionate and not get in your face type of fans with it being mostly a friendly rivalry. You will run into the occasional redneck fan who is belligerent. It is different here because there are so many ACC schools within a short distance. You don't run into as many UConn or Georgetown fans in Syracuse. I actually live in South Carolina about 45 minutes from Clemson. I can't tell you how many times I am wearing my orange shirt and I get a "Go Clemson!" comment before they see that it is a 'Cuse shirt.

When SU played at NC State last fall we went to the game and a friend that is an NC State grad joined us. We had upper level seats and I was surprised (as was my friend) that the Orange fans had a majority of the seats in the upper level. He wanted to know what I got him into! We had no problems with any of the NC State fans.

I think you may be surprised at how many transplants are in the Carolinas now. The population has really grown in the Greensboro, Raleigh and Charlotte areas. Asheville and Hendersonville (in the mountains) are also popular retirement cities. Enjoy those southern accents... many of the the women actually like our accent!
Can't wait to go to a cuse game at one of the ACC venues. Enjoy friendly rivalries and trash talk just so long as its not people who take it too seriously. Hmm never considered they'd think I had an accent lol.

Here is my reality of moving to the South... The first time I drove to North Carolina I stopped in Southern Virginia to get some ice cream at a Dairy Queen. I pulled some change out of my pocket and passed to the cashier a Canadian quarter. I don't know what it is like now but back in 1980 stores in Syracuse would accept Canadian coins as US coins. The cashier looked at the quarter... then up at me... then back at the quarter... and then looked at me and said "We don't take these here." I knew I was out of my element!

I can't wait for the Orange to play down here.

"I can't tell you how many times I am wearing my orange shirt and I get a "Go Clemson!" comment before they see that it is a 'Cuse shirt. "

One can never have enough Orange T-shirts, isn't that right Bro? :)

Shouldn't be too bad down there, lots of NY transplants and SU will be in the ACC next season. Of course, you'll have to repeat your dinner order 3 times, and some towns will have a one page zoning code. Regardless, it won't be anything like running a boat up the Congo river, as the thread suggests.

Had it in Greensboro ( a meet the family BBQ, not at a restauarant)
I recently found out that NY state has a weekend BBQ competition circuit ... it'd be interesting to know if there is a 'NY style' BBQ sauce? If so, I'd like to do a test run at the FINE MESS this fall.

[quote="Orange&Blue44, post: 331168, member: 1392 One can never have enough Orange T-shirts, isn't that right Bro? :)[/quote]

normaliswear, my brother brings up a good point. He is my supplier for my addiction to Orange shirts. My wife told me one day "You have too many orange shirts!" I told her "You can never have too many Orange shirts!" That same day I received an unexpected package in the mail with yet another Orange shirt! My supplier came through! All you can usually find down here is gear for the local schools. Make sure you line up a supplier before you leave. The shakes get pretty bad when you have to wear Tarheel Blue...

[quote="Orange&Blue44, post: 331168, member: 1392 One can never have enough Orange T-shirts, isn't that right Bro? :)

normaliswear, my brother brings up a good point. He is my supplier for my addiction to Orange shirts. My wife told me one day "You have too many orange shirts!" I told her "You can never have too many Orange shirts!" That same day I received an unexpected package in the mail with yet another Orange shirt! My supplier came through! All you can usually find down here is gear for the local schools. Make sure you line up a supplier before you leave. The shakes get pretty bad when you have to wear Tarheel Blue...[/quote]
Yeah most of my non-work wardrobe is either Cuse, Sabres, Bills, or Yankees... all bound to tick off at least some of the locals. Still have family up here in NY that can provide new supplies when needed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom