OT - NBA Trade Deadline... | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

OT - NBA Trade Deadline...

I know next to nothing about the NBA, but how does being rookie of the year equate to no being one of the best young players at your position?

I'm not Moqui, but here is my take:

MCW produced a lot of numbers on a terrible team, which teed him up to win ROY (it's a stats-driven award).

He does some things well. He absolutely has potential to be much better.

I think he'll do well in Kidd's system. He'll be asked to work within a system that values players that can do multiple things and play multiple positions. He has to become a competent shooter, though. He has been historically bad.

And with all the talent at the PG now, you really have to be good to be in the top tier.

I am really annoyed with the Sixers. I don't know if that is more a result of enjoying having MCW playing here and that at least did give me a reason to pay attention to them or that I think trading MCW is going to really move the needle on their prospects either positively or negatively.
I hear ya. I loved that he was there...but I'm also enjoying letting this plan come to life. We'll know one way or the other in two years and then decide accordingly(which means showing signs of life and becoming a "buyer" by this time next year). Until then, have at it Sam.

I'm really not understanding what Philly is doing at this point. I guess Tony Wroten is their PG now? Without knowing what's going to happen in the lottery it seems like they're showing their hand in drafting Muiday.

Then Milwuakee, what are they doing getting MCW and Ennis? Not sure I see why you get both of them, either or maybe, but both?
The problem with that is Tony Wroten has been hurt since the last week of Jan.

DJ Augustin to OKC.
So OKC is set. Good for them

They got Canaan from Houston who was decent when he played...but we'll see I guess

answer the question...

why do you think the bakersfield jam's PG is going to beat out the reigning ROY...who's career avg are 16 6.7 and 6.2??
I didn't say he was going to beat MCW out, I said he isn't going to be playing behind one of the best young PGs in the Association.

Westbrook
Curry
Lillard
Wall
Irving
Bledsoe
Jennings

all 26 or under. Hell, even Derrick Rose is still just 26. MCW has talent and a lot of potential, but he's not in the same ballpark as any of those guys. He is currently 45th in PER among NBA points. 45th.

As for Ennis, I have always said I think he has the ability to be a long time career backup in the NBA.

Boston has more draft picks than Philly. Philly doesn't get it. These moves don't play well to attract FAs.
Ainge will have Boston contending before Hinkie gets Philly contending.

Of course they could be but you don't stay inactive based on worst case. You trust your scouting/judgement. Guessing they take muiday if they don't get top pick (though this trade should knock off the winning and put them back in play for okafor). They want a spurs culture and that's what they're going for. Duncan was a superstar but nobody knew the others when they came on board. This is so much better than the iguodala era. It at least has a chance.
They've lost me a bit with this move. The rest of it made sense to me - gathering assets, making high risk/high reward draft picks with an eye towards the future, not burning their cap room on marginal vets, etc. But giving up MCW for... what exactly?

I didn't say he was going to beat MCW out, I said he isn't going to be playing behind one of the best young PGs in the Association.

Westbrook
Curry
Lillard
Wall
Irving
Bledsoe
Jennings

all 26 or under. Hell, even Derrick Rose is still just 26. MCW has talent and a lot of potential, but he's not in the same ballpark as any of those guys. He is currently 45th in PER among NBA points. 45th.

As for Ennis, I have always said I think he has the ability to be a long time career backup in the NBA.
You didn't even mention Jeff Teague, who absolutely belongs on the list ahead of MCW right now, too, and is only 26.

I mean long term, it will be tough for them to get somebody via free agency with that squad, and looking at the draft eligible players or players you think might leave early I think Muiday is the only guy that they may actually covet. If I have a pick before Philly, I draft Muiday and make Hinke overpay big time, he HAS to be the guy that is behind all of these moves.

I think MCW on a team that isn't filled with D-Leaguers will perform much better and prove to be a very talented up and coming point guard, possibly even in the vein of that top tier. Ennis can be molded into a very good backup. Milwaukee just became the most freakishly long team ever.

Philly gets back draft picks and the dude that got a viral d-grab from Dwight Howard...not a good return.

Boston has more draft picks than Philly. Philly doesn't get it. These moves don't play well to attract FAs.

With the trading of young experienced talent for picks (players who are 19-20 years old) they'll never contend.

Philly also got Tragic Bronson, I mean Javale McGee and a first round pick for Cenk Akyol, drafted in 2005, been traded a bunch of times, but never played a game in the NBA. hahaha.

Philly also got Tragic Bronson, I mean Javale McGee and a first round pick for Cenk Akyol, drafted in 2005, been traded a bunch of times, but never played a game in the NBA. hahaha.
NBA is so ridiculously complicated with their trades of protected draft picks and trade exceptions. Literally absurd.

Westbrook
Curry
Lillard
Wall
Irving
Bledsoe
Jennings

guess I should have specified PGs with 2-3 years experience. While Westbrook is a young guy, he's not NBA young. I definitely wasn't trying to compare MCW to him.

I'm not sure Ainge's approach is working either. All depends on which team ends up with the higher picks the next two years.

Suns recently offered Dragic for Brandon Knight. Bucks said no. Now Bucks get the guys they wanted all along -- MCW and Ennis -- for Knight
— Marc Stein (@ESPNSteinLine) February 19, 2015

guess I should have specified PGs with 2-3 years experience. While Westbrook is a young guy, he's not NBA young. I definitely wasn't trying to compare MCW to him.
MCW is an elite rebounder & defender at his position, but he shoots poorly (and too much) and turns the ball over too much to be elite. hopefully on a team with more offensive options he can improve those areas. if he does he could join the elite crowd.

Sixers are going to be going for the playoffs starting next year or the year after.

Why on earth would the 76ers trade away MCW???

Czar said:
Sixers are going to be going for the playoffs starting next year or the year after.

I'm not sure if next year is possible without grabbing a couple of really good free agents. They have the money so I guess it can happen.

Next year will be Embiid's first year, they have one lotto pick over seas still, 4 first round picks in the next draft, all of them top 20 picks. They're going to be incredibly young even for 2017.

I will say I'm extremely intrigued how it will pan out I'm Philly.

Rocco said:
Why on earth would the 76ers trade away MCW???

Gambled on a top 5 protected lottery pick and probably want Muiday to be their pg.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom