OT: Ten worst places to live in NYS | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

OT: Ten worst places to live in NYS

No Rome to me got worse once they closed Griffiss AFB. So many places closed down and other places went down the tubes. It's too bad politics played a role in closing of the base and it should have stayed open. They have down some nice things with the base but overall Rome will never be the same again.

One redeeming feature of Rome - hosting Woodstock '99 - although that turned to crap at the end.

This reminds me of my first wife. Did you have a full yard sale like I did?

No, I cut the cord no that one. Don't ask me why. I'm still married to the woman I dumped her for though...

Long Island should be included as a whole with the worst with the mere fact that getting in and out of there is miserable. Queue up on the Throgs Neck or the Whitestone Bridge to hurry up and wait on the Cross Bronx Expy or 495. No thanks
Yes, if I was going to make a list it would definitely be using different criteria than what this poll used. Just because they have higher incomes and better house values and more expenditures per students doesn't make for a better quality of life. I've lived in the Albany-Saratoga area, the Finger Lakes, Rochester, Syracuse, Oswego, Binghamton and even Lowville and nothing beats upstate NY. I'm not saying we have everything here but we check off a lot of my boxes.

Last edited:
Anyone here want to defend Utica or Watertown? How about Elmira or Niagara Falls?
http://www.roadsnacks.net/worst-places-to-live-in-new-york-state/
so much pseudo science is stupid

if population is dense, it must be a bad place to live derrrrrrrrrr

not for people who want to live in places where the population isn't dense

houses are very cheap. this must mean it's a bad place to live. unless you don't have much money and don't mind living someplace with less dense population. those people can buy a house for cheap. who cares about them?

his score goes out to two decimals. phony precision is a big red flag

Its already been said a couple times but is probably worth repeating. The criteria they use to make this list is pretty weak and makes a lot of inferences that don't hold up under any kind of scrutiny. I'd get more out of an article that talked about any given person's favorite cities in New York than I got from this.

FYI, my five favorite cities in New York (in alphabetical order) are:

1) Syracuse
2) Syracuse
3) Syracuse
4) Syracuse
5) Syracuse

Crusty said:
All you need to know about this article is that the writer's best place to live are all on Long Island! If there is one place I never wanted to live it was Long Island. "If you’re curious enough, here are the best places to live in New York, according to science. [*]Malverne (Pop. 8,522) [*]Plainview (Pop. 25,996) [*]Merrick (Pop. 21,222) [*]Woodmere (Pop. 17,215) [*]Syosset (Pop. 18,961)"
I've lived in Utica and Long Island and they both have their pros and cons but the traffic, congestion and being trapped on a island made me leave Long Island after a year. I moved to central NJ and love it here except for the taxes. My wife is from LI and I hate going there every time!

I've lived in Utica and Long Island and they both have their pros and cons but the traffic, congestion and being trapped on a island made me leave Long Island after a year. I moved to central NJ and love it here except for the taxes. My wife is from LI and I hate going there every time!

It's really the worst there. We go to a lax tournament there every year and it's just awful. We take the ferry there and that's nice, but driving in Long Island reminds me very quickly why I hate other drivers.

It's really the worst there. We go to a lax tournament there every year and it's just awful. We take the ferry there and that's nice, but driving in Long Island reminds me very quickly why I hate other drivers.

495, grand central parkway, jackie robinson, southern parkway, etc :bang::bat::bang::bat:

In my somewhat limited experience with the places, I found that LI has 90% of the bustle of Manhattan, and 10% of the charm and culture.

In my somewhat limited experience with the places, I found that LI has 90% of the bustle of Manhattan, and 10% of the charm and culture.

Completely agree! We haven't had a truly decent meal there in the 2 years we've been going (and I use the heck out of Yelp) but have paid through the nose to be there.

Only place in NY worth a damn is a nice place in the country...and the taxes (which goes for the whole north east) will make living in the country unbearable soon enough.
(picking a best city in NY is like picking the best port-a-potti at a marathon)

Agreed. I'm from JC. It makes me sad to go there now.

I'm from JC as well. It was never going on a postcard when I grew up there and it won't nowadays, either.

I still enjoy visiting, but those visits are fewer and fewer as less and less people I know live there.

I did have fun growing up there, with all the warts.

I'm from JC as well. It was never going on a postcard when I grew up there and it won't nowadays, either.

I still enjoy visiting, but those visits are fewer and fewer as less and less people I know live there.

I did have fun growing up there, with all the warts.

Spent many days in JC. I honestly can't think of one fun thing I ever did there haha. The JC field days were at least good for the people watching.

Completely agree! We haven't had a truly decent meal there in the 2 years we've been going (and I use the heck out of Yelp) but have paid through the nose to be there.

Where are you going? Tons and tons of great places to eat on Long Island.

I think Johnstown is a nice small town and it's a stones throw from of the Great Sacandaga lake. I can think of a lot of worse places in New York to live.

#1 Richland is a joke. Easy commuting distant to Syracuse for a job but how do they conclude that $45,000 a year is well below the state average?? That seems like a good comfortable salary in Richland, especially if there are 2 earners making 45K. And it says homes are the cheapest in the state?

A lot of people in the state would probably be thrilled to make 45K.

Where are you going? Tons and tons of great places to eat on Long Island.

We stayed at the Marriott next to the Coliseum. Lots of diners nearby, and a decent (not great) burger joint near Hofstra, but nothing outstanding.

We stayed at the Marriott next to the Coliseum. Lots of diners nearby, and a decent (not great) burger joint near Hofstra, but nothing outstanding.

Well that area sucks, tons of great family places on both shores.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom