OT: Ten worst places to live in NYS | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

OT: Ten worst places to live in NYS

Are you kidding. They already have a box in the dome. The founders are huge Cuse fans. No champagne and caviar though. It's usually just beer, pizza and wings.
Perfect,that's my diet and I would have felt uncomfortable eating caviar on Roomboter crackers/wafels anyways

I am getting it, what I'm saying is the Clark County school district is essentially composed of only the city of Las Vegas. There is really only one suburb.

But that's not true; I get the sense you're new out there, but Clark County is absolutely enormous and covers everything from Las Vegas/Henderson/Paradise/Summerlin to population centers from down in Laughlin (70 or 80 miles south, on the California/Arizona border) up to Mesquite (70-odd miles north of the city) and all the ranching communities in between.

It is a giant municipality and incomparable to Syracuse or Onondaga County; the school district is nothing like any mid-sized urban one.

And, regardless of that, graduation rate isn't a metric with a ton of merit.

Signed,

Your fellow 'Cuse hoops realist, current City of Syracuse resident who's lived in several other cities, and semi-frequent traveler to Las Vegas and the great desert Southwest.

TexanMark said:
And you are wrong. Las Vegas is 600,000. Clark County is 2 million. There are many incorporated cities and unincorporated cities in Clark County besides Henderson and Las Vegas. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_cities_in_Nevada I was a geography major in college and have traveled and lived in more places than most. You really do not know what you are talking about and your comparison was faulty. This thread hasn't gone well for you. You made an unfair comparison and backed it up with half-truths and faulty opinion.
To be fair Las Vegas is basically Phoenix's dirty uncle that no one in the family wants to talk about.

To be fair Las Vegas is basically Phoenix's dirty uncle that no one in the family wants to talk about.
Speaking of Phoenix - is there anything for a vacationer worth stopping to see between Phoenix and Sedona?

Toga said:
Speaking of Phoenix - is there anything for a vacationer worth stopping to see between Phoenix and Sedona?
Everyone always says Jerome/cottonwood is a nice stop. But IMO beat to just get up to Sedona and enjoy it longer

But that's not true; I get the sense you're new out there, but Clark County is absolutely enormous and covers everything from Las Vegas/Henderson/Paradise/Summerlin to population centers from down in Laughlin (70 or 80 miles south, on the California/Arizona border) up to Mesquite (70-odd miles north of the city) and all the ranching communities in between.

It is a giant municipality and incomparable to Syracuse or Onondaga County; the school district is nothing like any mid-sized urban one.

And, regardless of that, graduation rate isn't a metric with a ton of merit.

Signed,

Your fellow 'Cuse hoops realist, current City of Syracuse resident who's lived in several other cities, and semi-frequent traveler to Las Vegas and the great desert Southwest.

You're right, it is enormous but it is still only one school district. TBH, it's probably why it is a little bit of a mess. I have a friend moving out here and is looking at teaching and has problems trying to get in.

Even the mess it is, the graduation rate is quite impressive for this city, when I looked up the stats I figured it would be at around 50%.

Some of the same old cynicism. I'm not sure what some of you are seeing and I'm 30, but downtown Syracuse is getting better, not worse, at least in terms of jobs and businesses. I work for a large private company downtown making good money and we employ 400 people. There's been a lot of development throughout downtown the past 15 years, none of it public and there is more planned. This isn't the 1980's and 90's anymore. If you are educated in business, technology or science you can find well paying jobs here.
I think some of the cynics come from a time when manufacturing dominated this area, and that is no longer the case. The top business in Syracuse in the future are in the Service and Technology sectors.

This is very well said. Lots of people don't deal with change well even when the change is good. Great things are happening in Syracuse. I hope everyone who doesn't recognize it takes some time to look around soon.

GLOVERSVILLE
ton of crime for such a small little hamlet. murder/rape per capita is astronomical.
and OBurg you must have been thru brier hill. speed limit slows you down to 30 thru that backwoods banjo mess. they should just jack it up to 80 to get you thru that bohunk hellhole faster. there's no business there to even stop for. (edit : did get paved last week...make that 85mph.)

GLOVERSVILLE
ton of crime for such a small little hamlet. murder/rape per capita is astronomical.
and OBurg you must have been thru brier hill. speed limit slows you down to 30 thru that backwoods banjo mess. they should just jack it up to 80 to get you thru that bohunk hellhole faster. there's no business there to even stop for. (edit : did get paved last week...make that 85mph.)
You dissing Brier Hill?

Everyone always says Jerome/cottonwood is a nice stop. But IMO beat to just get up to Sedona and enjoy it longer
We used to always stop in Anthem for a little bit to check out the outlets. They always seemed to have pretty good deals. Another time we took a side trip back to Phoenix and cut over and spent a night in Prescott. Not really much to do in Prescott but it was a nice pretty drive.

Sedona is a great town but I think it's changed a lot over the years and has become somewhat commercialized. One thing I would recommend to people is to take one of the nice drives up in the hills around town. The rocks are gorgeous and the views are phenomenal is every direction.
http://www.go-arizona.com/Sedona/Scenic-Drives/

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom