OT: Ten worst places to live in NYS | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

OT: Ten worst places to live in NYS

I think Johnstown is a nice small town and it's a stones throw from of the Great Sacandaga lake. I can think of a lot of worse places in New York to live.

#1 Richland is a joke. Easy commuting distant to Syracuse for a job but how do they conclude that $45,000 a year is well below the state average?? That seems like a good comfortable salary in Richland, especially if there are 2 earners making 45K. And it says homes are the cheapest in the state?

A lot of people in the state would probably be thrilled to make 45K.

I was thinking the same thing about $45,000. I'm guessing they meant to say combined household income of $45,000. Or they are idiots and thought that $45,000/year in Richland is the same as $45,000/year in Manhattan.

I'm from JC as well. It was never going on a postcard when I grew up there and it won't nowadays, either.

I still enjoy visiting, but those visits are fewer and fewer as less and less people I know live there.

I did have fun growing up there, with all the warts.

Hey Mike, No slight on JC. I have cousins who grew up there and I had fond memories of visits. Just sad to see the state it's in now. BTW this is Bruce's brother. I hung out with him this week as we were both back in Cortland. I hope things are well.

I was thinking the same thing about $45,000. I'm guessing they meant to say combined household income of $45,000. Or they are idiots and thought that $45,000/year in Richland is the same as $45,000/year in Manhattan.

This is the Wikipedia entry re: Richland's economic data: "

"The median income for a household in the town was $36,410, and the median income for a family was $43,564. Males had a median income of $36,035 versus $22,337 for females. The per capita income for the town was $16,780. About 9.6% of families and 13.4% of the population were below the poverty line, including 16.6% of those under age 18 and 13.8% of those age 65 or over."

Median household income of $36K is pretty low regardless of what part of NYS you are looking at. So is median family income of $43,564. I guess some people might point to the sub-10% family poverty rate and see that as a positive?

Hey Mike, No slight on JC. I have cousins who grew up there and I had fond memories of visits. Just sad to see the state it's in now. BTW this is Bruce's brother. I hung out with him this week as we were both back in Cortland. I hope things are well.

Hey! How the are you? Holy crap. I'm getting old, have two kids (if you can believe it).

Ha, no offense taken on JC. I know it's gone from "dumpy" to "basically a real dump".

I'm still FB friends with a lot of those Laotian guys that lived there.

I think Johnstown is a nice small town and it's a stones throw from of the Great Sacandaga lake. I can think of a lot of worse places in New York to live.

#1 Richland is a joke. Easy commuting distant to Syracuse for a job but how do they conclude that $45,000 a year is well below the state average?? That seems like a good comfortable salary in Richland, especially if there are 2 earners making 45K. And it says homes are the cheapest in the state?

A lot of people in the state would probably be thrilled to make 45K.

Richland is Pulaski...They grabbed stats for the town as opposed to the village. Tell you what if you are a sportsman...Pulaski is paradise.

I live outside of Herkimer and work in Utica.

Mark my word that Utica will be looked at much differently in less than 5 years. A lot of great things going on here with the right politicians who are committed to revitalizing the community..

Herkimer on the other hand...long ways to go. Not good at all.

And here I thought all central NY towns would tie for first. Lived in 3 places in my life, Central NY, Las Vegas, and South Florida. CNY is awful outside of Syracuse basketball.

I have friends and acquaintances from Herkimer, Gloversville, Oneida, Elmira and Johnstown. None of them live in those communities anymore. There is a reason. I am surprised at how high Newburgh is rated and the fact that Troy is not in the Top 50 has me scratching my head.
City of Newburgh is a sh-thole, but town of Newburgh is not bad. If city of Newburgh has any redeeming qualities it's the waterfront. Proximity to NYC doesn't hurt.

Completely agree! We haven't had a truly decent meal there in the 2 years we've been going (and I use the heck out of Yelp) but have paid through the nose to be there.

Their wine country (north fork) is grossly over-priced.

When I first saw the OP, I thought Fort Plain had to be on it. But I agree completely with Niagara Falls. It made Kandahar look like Las Vegas 50 years ago.

We stayed at the Marriott next to the Coliseum. Lots of diners nearby, and a decent (not great) burger joint near Hofstra, but nothing outstanding.
Yup. That area is terrible for food. Lots of great food on Long Island. Roslyn isn't too far from there and has four or five really good restaurants. And both shores, as mentioned by another poster. The traffic though...ugh!

Based on my viewing of Daredevil, I'm confused as to why Hell's Kitchen is not on this list.

You're such a likeable guy!

Let me correct myself. Syracuse is a thriving city with a great economy that has the signs of getting better, the natural history along with the beautiful mall which sits on a beautiful lake.

I'm sorry, you ask 90% of people from Syracuse about it and all you hear is Syracuse Basketball, a big mall, Wegmans, and Dinosaur BBQ. Downtown is filthy and gross, abandoned properties are taking over and it's actually starting to become very dangerous.

I'm willing to guess that the people who defend Syracuse to the death either don't pay property taxes, have never lived anywhere else, and are probably extremely stubborn.

I have found downtown to be in better shape now than in at least 3 decades. There are crazies in every downtown nationwide.

You're right, crazies in every town, but Syracuse is one of the dirtiest I've seen.

You're right, crazies in every town, but Syracuse is one of the dirtiest I've seen.
Everyone has their priorities as far as what is important to them. You said you have lived in South Florida and in Vegas. I love the beaches of South Florida but give me the lakes and mountains of upstate NY instead. No sense of even bringing up Vegas. I think a lot of people would be hard pressed to argue that Vegas is a nicer place to live. Not a lot of redeeming qualities. I can't even imagine what the school districts are like.

Everyone has their priorities as far as what is important to them. You said you have lived in South Florida and in Vegas. I love the beaches of South Florida but give me the lakes and mountains of upstate NY instead. No sense of even bringing up Vegas. I think a lot of people would be hard pressed to argue that Vegas is a nicer place to live. Not a lot of redeeming qualities. I can't even imagine what the school districts are like.

That's a misconception about Las Vegas, there are many redeeming qualities on living here, taxes are low, no state income tax, the sights around town. Taking a boat ride on Lake Mead is amazing, hiking Red Rock is stunning. You're a short trip away to other major cities which is also nice. Clark County schools right now have a 71% graduation rate, have the Syracuse city schools gotten above 50% yet?

That's a misconception about Las Vegas, there are many redeeming qualities on living here, taxes are low, no state income tax, the sights around town. Taking a boat ride on Lake Mead is amazing, hiking Red Rock is stunning. You're a short trip away to other major cities which is also nice. Clark County schools right now have a 71% graduation rate, have the Syracuse city schools gotten above 50% yet?
You lost me at short trip to other cities? WTH? You are no closer to LA and Phoenix than Cuse is to NYC, Philly and Boston. I was out in SoCal last week...$4 gas and wild fires on that short trip to LAS

Disingenuous to compare Clark County schools to the city of Syracuse schools...you need to compare Clark vs Onondaga County

Last edited:
You lost me at short trip to other cities? WTH? You are no closer to LA and Phoenix than Cuse is to NYC, Philly and Boston. I was out in SoCal last week...$4 gas and wild fires on that short trip to LAS

Disingenuous to compare Clark County schools to the city of Syracuse schools...you need to compare Clark vs Onondaga County

Well, Las Vegas is pretty much Clark County if you take out Henderson, but I doubt just Henderson being taken out gets Las Vegas students below 50%. I get it though, anything to make the city look better than it really is.

I lot of northeastern cities and towns get denigrated because they're old. Some people will say they're dirty.

These are people who don't appreciate the beauty of architecture that is not plasticky glass and shiny metal. They like the glitz and plastic.

I'll take the older buildings that a lot of northeastern towns and cities have. At least they have some character.

Anyone who thinks that the New England and upstate NY countryside/lakes have to bow down to any area of the country is mistaken.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom