OT: Virginia at Duke | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

OT: Virginia at Duke

And zero mention of the travel at all by vitale...
His enthusiam for the game and his tremendous incompetence will be hard to replace when he finally leaves.

Speaking of Games affect our RPI, Maryland blowing up vs Wiscy. At DC so could be a comeback after half time

Speaking of Games affect our RPI, Maryland blowing up vs Wiscy. At DC so could be a comeback after half time

Sometimes I have no clue what the refs are thinking after watching a video replay.

Stone (maryland) tackles a Wisconin player to the ground, gives him head shot while on the ground, and no ejection? Wisky shoves Stone, and its offsetting technicals. Teerrible,

An AMAZING travel. 3 steps, and then the foot hits the ground before the shot goes up. Traveled twice.
Traveled for sure but also got clobbered. They swallowed the whistle on both sides of that one.

Traveled for sure but also got clobbered. They swallowed the whistle on both sides of that one.
When you drive onto the defender and use your forearm and elbow to push off that is called offensive foul, unless you are a Duke fan or ACC ref.

^^^^^
This

That is exactly the way I see it. It's one thing to not be a Duke fan but for cryin'out loud give the kid some props for making a play. It's not like they beat Syracuse on that play. They beat Virginia and any Cuse fan should be ok with that since it really benefits Syracuse more than if it had been the other way around.

Did his foot hit the ground prior to the shot leaving his hand... perhaps. Did he get pretty much mauled by the Virginians? Let's be realistic... it was a good non call both ways.

...it really benefits Syracuse more than if it had been the other way around...
Not if you're trying to get a double-bye at the cost of Dook.

Last edited:
^^^^^
This

That is exactly the way I see it. It's one thing to not be a Duke fan but for cryin'out loud give the kid some props for making a play. It's not like they beat Syracuse on that play. They beat Virginia and any Cuse fan should be ok with that since it really benefits Syracuse more than if it had been the other way around.

Did his foot hit the ground prior to the shot leaving his hand... perhaps. Did he get pretty much mauled by the Virginians? Let's be realistic... it was a good non call both ways.
I am obviously not a Duke fan, but I am a realist. The video evidence shows that he traveled and committed an offensive foul, so no I do not think it is a good no call or that he made a good play. UVA won the game in my opinion, but it was taken away from them. I don't like cheaters, and that is one of many reasons I HATE DUKE.

Which helps our NCAA Tourney chances/seeding more - a double bye or an extra victory?

Doubt there is little to any RPI gain from beating the first round opponent in the ACC tourney. The extra rest is much better, IMO.

Odd in that it probably hurts our seed in the ACC tournament but helps our NCAA resume.

I thought I was only one to notice that he came down before the shot. I looked at the people I was with an asked shouldn't that be a turnover he came down with the ball lol

Allen clearly walked, but it's no surprise that the call was blown.

While the finish itself was exciting, I thought that the game was sloppily played. I guess that I just don't care for UVa's style.

Speaking of which, our resident UVa/Akil Mitchell superfan (masquerading as an SU fan) is probably pretty pissed off right now, and rightfully so.
lol, that would be yours truly perhaps? My reaction to that game is not very different than the majority on here. Allen travelled there and two other times that I remember . Who else in the college game can pick up his dribble at the key and get to the basket in two steps while closely guarded? Refs seem oblivious to the third step he always takes. He also seems to get away with clearing out with his off-ball forearm on almost every drive.
My main takeaway from that game though is that Duke is not the same team we saw in January. They have adapted to playing without Jefferson, and Ingram looks like he could be a superstar in the NBA . Jeez, he's playing like this with an adolescent body.
SU needs to bring that FSU performance to the ACC tournament to have a good run; and can't go to BC today with the energy on display against Va. Tech

I am obviously not a Duke fan, but I am a realist. The video evidence shows that he traveled and committed an offensive foul, so no I do not think it is a good no call or that he made a good play. UVA won the game in my opinion, but it was taken away from them. I don't like cheaters, and that is one of many reasons I HATE DUKE.
It's absurd the number of non-calls for Duke vs the number of calls against ANY opponent in Durham... Duke was in the bonus with 13 minutes left in the game, while UVa didn't get to bonus until 5 minutes left??? I can't believe the blatant and obvious favoritism given to K and his cronies/players. Allen in my opinion is one of the dirtiest, cheating players K has recruited. EVER! And I've seen many of them... The fact Vitale praises them for their acts/"acts" really has diminished my ability to listen to him call a game...

I know Syracuse has not been in the ACC for long, but you've been on the receiving end of the blatant discriminatory lack of objectivity from the officials and the announcing crew(s). If there is ANY other school receiving as much "love" from the media and officials as Duke, I'd be amazed... UVa has been wronged for years in games in which we've played Duke... Nothing new, whether it be Hartzell's noted and spoken dislike of UVa in 1997's time clock error, Karl Hess's numerous bad calls or Jamie Luckie(y) and his continual rise to the top of terrible officials in this "great" league. I enjoy the teams in the ACC and the rivalries established, but the overwhelming Carolina/Duke home cooking truly takes a lot of enjoyment from the game...

Now you know why K was so shaken by the end of our game. The calls at the end of this game are the baseline expectation for Duke. So if you don't get a call, it is really shocking and disorienting.

Karl Hess's numerous bad calls or Jamie Luckie(y) and his continual rise to the top of terrible officials in this "great" league. I enjoy the teams in the ACC and the rivalries established, but the overwhelming Carolina/Duke home cooking truly takes a lot of enjoyment from the game...[/QUOTE]

Wash your mouth using words like Karl Hess or Jamie Lucky! They can make calls that exist only in their mind.

Of course we may have helped screw UVA by giving K his "Amazing" game. The crying he did after that probably gained him at least 20 calls in his favor for the rest of the year.

And the number of times you've seen travel called on the last play of a game is...

Saw this BS call live.

The conspiracy theorist in me says the NCAA told the refs to put UNC through since Duke lost earlier in the evening.

Not sure if that was more egregious ... What truly makes this game terrible is the footage from roughly the 6 min mark...

Which helps our NCAA Tourney chances/seeding more - a double bye or an extra victory?
The committee has shown they value conference play/standings (in addition to many other things, obviously). Finishing in the top 4 of a league that will get 7-8 bids will be valued in terms of seeding. Obviously, finishing top 4 would guarantee a berth.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom